G5 Rumors

Comments

• Reply 341 of 483
    G5 has been in development for quite a while.
  • Reply 342 of 483
    TigerWoods99:

Lower than 1.2 GHz or what do you mean?
  • Reply 343 of 483
    yea tiger. lower than what. lower than the speeds NOW :eek: or what. lower than 1.6ghz. Lower than 1.2 for jsut base model. lowerthan 1.2 for all please clarify
  • Reply 344 of 483
    [quote]G5 has been in development for quite a while. <hr></blockquote>

Wow! New inside info!
  • Reply 345 of 483
    Lower than 1.6 GHz.

Patience is a virtue.
  • Reply 346 of 483
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Can you tell us how much lower?
  • Reply 347 of 483
    Im not certain but speeds are 1.0, 1.2, and 1.4 GHz. The reason 1.6 GHz may be out of the question is apparently due to Apple's lack of trust that Motorola can provide sufficient quantities in time to ship the G5. Also, marketing may play a factor in what speeds they opt to intro at MWSF. Everything else seems to be pretty much in line, although no one really knows what's coming off the pipeline. Who knows.

I will try to get more info. I've e-mailed him now. I don't know when I'll get a response. I'm trying to get as much info as possible, and I'm not sure how much I can say.
  • Reply 348 of 483
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    G5's, at any clock speed above 1ghz with dual configs in the line up... will make me very happy. I'll snag the fastest dual G5 I can for work.

From what I've heard, late first quarter 02 is when we would first see the G5. I am begining to wonder if we will see singles in jan and duals later in march. A split g4/g5 lineup seems more and more possible.
  • Reply 349 of 483
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    This is all very interesting but where does it leave IBM?

Will IBM ever be let in the door by Apple, if they slam it shut IBM may loose interest for ever.
  • Reply 350 of 483
    IBM may help fab the G5.
  • Reply 351 of 483
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    TigerWoods- Do you knpw anything about DDR or system bus? Also, what about a new case?

At least we are hearing more positive news/rumors after a week of negative ones.
  • Reply 352 of 483
    The only thing I would know of is mainly processor related. However, I could find out about DDR.

There is the odd chance that I will get info on other things like the case. I'll see.
  • Reply 353 of 483
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 354 of 483
    I'm working on it.
  • Reply 355 of 483
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

Where's the beef? Thr Reg and MOSR said the same thing single source. Archintosh report was rephrased and obfuscated but really sounded like a report on a report found elsewhere (like MOSR/Reg). I could say that too based on the rumor sites. The sources so far have been one except for a couple folks on the boards. I think the G5 is probably coming just from a gut feel and plan to be early to the show floor for the keynote video feed. Until then or a REAL (read different source) CONFIRMATORY leak nobody will know for sure.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe all the specs from different places are the same because that's what they really are? Dunno, just a hunch
  • Reply 356 of 483
    thentrothentro Posts: 231member
    apple would NOT have a 1Ghz G4 and call it a G5. Thats crazy. How then could they tout the great things in the real G5 if they started with a G4!
  • Reply 357 of 483
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Maybe all the specs from different places are the same because that's what they really are? Dunno, just a hunch </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. Makes sense.
  • Reply 358 of 483
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 359 of 483
    The only quoting I see is when one site quotes another's article. However, I have seen the G5 mentioned on at least 6 sites. So either each site took a creative license with the info or the site received similar info from there own source. Either way, not much "quoting" going on.
  • Reply 360 of 483
    [quote] Im not certain but speeds are 1.0, 1.2, and 1.4 GHz. The reason 1.6 GHz may be out of the question is apparently due to Apple's lack of trust that Motorola can provide sufficient quantities in time to ship the G5. Also, mark <hr></blockquote>

1, 1.2, 1.4 are exactly the speeds I've been predicting. It would be smart of Apple to offer processors a bit slower than Moto can provide, and instead offer dual configuratoins.

MWSF is going to be sweet!