Microsoft stores to mimic Apple's with "Guru Bars"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    Groan. Not again.

This company makes me weep. So much money, so little talent.
  • Reply 42 of 170
    Looks like Monkeyboy Ballmer is finally gettin' into character. Monkey see, monkey do.
  • Reply 43 of 170
    ceresceres Posts: 3member
    Good grief! The Guru bar is going to bankrupt M$. Ever tried calling their tech support?
  • Reply 44 of 170
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ceres View Post

Good grief! The Guru bar is going to bankrupt M$. Ever tried calling their tech support?

Yes:

NEW DELI: "Thank you for callling Microsoft, my name id Harry. Can you tell me your Windows 72 digit number?"

"I can help you wid dat. Let me see, you said you can't log in and you have no internet. Is dat correct?"

"Good. Have you tried to down load a newer version of IE?"

"Please don't get upset. I told you I can help you wid your problem. Would you mind going over your problem once again. Perhaps you might have left out a minor detail dat could be important....hello?....hello?"
  • Reply 45 of 170
    The name Microsoft...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I bet they stole that too along with CP/M and Mac OS.

You MUST have heard the old joke? Here's an approximation in any case...

Q: How did Microsoft get it's name?

A: Ask Mrs. Gates.
  • Reply 46 of 170
    I have to believe that the Guru Bar is a joke.

That is, MS has no intention of having such a thing in their stores (where you can't actually buy anything except a Xbox and a mouse).
  • Reply 47 of 170
  • Reply 48 of 170
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    You mean to tell me that the gazillions of computer owners who MS telephone techies turn away because their version of Windows is OEM will be welcomed by the guru bar? They will not have enough gurus or bars to handle that deluge.
  • Reply 49 of 170
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jplevine View Post

Talk about running scared. Words almost cannot describe how badly this will backfire on M$.

I couldn't agree more. It will fail. I give it a year tops.

Um, didn't Sony try the same thing? And fail?

My god, can't Microsoft come up with anything original?
  • Reply 50 of 170
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

An Apple customer usually approaches a genius bar for trivial things, the occasional failure, transferring data from an old Mac or (PC) to new Mac, and general questions. Usually can be resolved right then and there by an enthusiastic and competent staff that genuinely love what they do and believe in the products Apple sells.

The "Guru" bar on the other hand will be staffed by clueless wannabe hackers working at minimum wage with zero customer service skills and be expected to fend of the herds of angry, frustrated PC users with machines infested and corrupted with viruses, malware, trojans, corrupted registries, driver conflicts, and all other kinds of nasty instabilities. And they will be expected to resolve those problems while the customer waits.

What Microsoft would like for you to believe is that they will be there for you in the long haul to help with your problem. The reality is that MS will (again) realize they went way over their head, and the Guru bar will be shut down due to high costs and few results. I work on the side resolving PC / Windows problems (I'm a systems engineer) for frustrated friends and users that just could not get the kind help they needed. Even with my experience, there is no way whatsoever anyone could pay me enough to work behind that desk. Poor workers will be going into the lion's den every day. The turnover rate will be high, morale will be low and in the end, it will become more a liability and will result in really bad PR. Microsoft will silently close the stores and when questioned, will be referred to as an "Experiment".

All those hundreds of millions of dollars MS spends on advertising and this is the best they could come up with? Put the entire Apple store into a huge Xerox machine and press "Copy"??

Well said my friend.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    Just great a Microsoft store that employees sixteen year old kids and declares them to be genius without any formal training. While at the same time having nothing to sell as they wont even endorse their own OS "Reminds me Bestbuy..."

Sounds more like a false propaganda nonprofitable commercial space to me

Well keep wasting your money MS. Hopefully you can post a lose next quarter instead of just a decline. I dont hate MS i just wish they would find their focus some time soon.
  • Reply 52 of 170
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    The government put out health warnings from second hand smoke... They need to put out second hand warnings from MS from the second hand stores (to the Apple store), second hand guru bars (to Apple's Genius Bars), second hand Zune mp3 players (to Apple's iPod), second hand The Social music store (to Apple's iTunes Music Store), second hand Windows 7, Vista, Windows (insert year here) all the way down to 95 (to Apple's OS pick any version), second hand advertising (remember Apple's Switcher campaign and MS had that Mac user switch to PC and MS used a stock photo for the girl), second hand X-Box (to Playstation and Wii), second hand Aero (to Mac's Aqua), second hand Search, Internet Explorer, Mail, Calendar (to appear more Mac like), second hand phone (you know they gotta have one coming out soon along with their second hand WinMo Phone OS), second hand... well, you get the picture.

Either that or Apple should produce a MS Hunter's ad, where someone goes out searching for Microsoft but all they find is a company with products and other enterprises that come out after some other company innovated it, backed it with R&D money and brought it to life (for the people that say Apple didn't originally do this or invent that etc., true, but before Apple did it, it probably was crap and not worth mentioning!)

So which is it folks? The government second hand warning or the Apple MS Hunter tv ads?
  • Reply 53 of 170
    Now I know exactly what to tell people that went against my advice to purchase a Mac: GO TO THE GURU BAR at the Microsoft Store--here are the directions--they will fix all of your woes.......

Then once you come back completely flustered and angry, we'll sell this hunk of junk on ebay (unfortunately for pennies on the dollar), and get you a real computer.

Just remember I told you this would happen.
  • Reply 54 of 170
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    What a bunch of whiners working overtime to look smart and funny.

Don't you guys have anything better to do with your Macs?
  • Reply 55 of 170
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    It is a lot of fun having a crack at M$. I have enjoyed the comments which all have some foundation in reality if they tend to the hyperbolic.

However, I would add that M$ is looking to defend what it already has. It wants to take away some of Apple's edge in public perception etc.

The stores will be bad mouthing Apple stuff, showcasing top end >$1000 PCs like the Dell Adamo, to take a little sheen off the cool Apple kit, and helping people migrate to Win7 etc. If it can take a few MBA or MBP sales away from Apple, it is probably a job well done.

It probably can't be profitable for M$ directly, but it can slow the Apple train, take something off the halo and do something that the individual PC makers with their pitiful margins can't afford to do for themselves.
  • Reply 56 of 170
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Didn't Gateway have little stores like this years ago? I think they all failed pretty huge.

So unless Microsoft actually offers a MS machine, aren't they just selling software? How do they pay rent for all of these store fronts if they don't sell anything. It seems like a lot of money to be spending on physical advertising.

If MS offers a free service or service for a very small fee, they may have something here. Even if it isn't as extensive as Apple's service, simply offering hands on help with installing software, upgrading operating systems, etc. could spark a lot of interest. I gotta think MS does not like the image that comes with fixing a PC.

Apple computer breaks, you bring it to an Apple Store where a trendy looking guy behind a counter takes a look at your machine, makes you feel good about buying it, fixes it, and sends you on your way.

PC breaks, you bring your computer to Best Buy where a guy wearing a polo shirt that says "Geek Squad", khaki pants, and white tennis shoes takes a look at your machine, laughs at the amount of RAM you have, speaks in a condescending tone to you, fixes it, gives you a big ass bill, and then suggests that you look into buying a new computer.

If nothing else, this might help give Microsoft a better image. I've said too much.
  • Reply 57 of 170
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    The interior looks like an immersive Flash advertisement. Super!
  • Reply 58 of 170
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jplevine View Post

Talk about running scared. Words almost cannot describe how badly this will backfire on M$.

Strategically, it is very bad for a market leader like MS (read 90%) to acknowledge a small competitor. This will only help Apple. There are 100 times more places to buy a PC than there are to buy Macs. Let's name a few: Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, and Fry's. Let's not forget the omnipresent Dell online and oh Gateway.

How is this going to help MS? MS does not make the computer so when a person has a problem they have to contact their OEM and deal with their warranty issue with Gateway, Dell, or HP. Out-of-warranty then the Geek Squad might help you for some $$$ or just get a new system for about the same price.

The Apple store is the synergy of the hardware manufacturer with the customer. They service the hardware and the software. I don't see how MS will do that unless they are wanting to compete with the Geek Squad and even then will all the different manufacturers they cannot give the same level of service to the customer's satisfaction like Apple can.

Good luck MS. I'm an Apple user to the end, but I'm rooting for you to succeed. Who knows, maybe MS will buy Dell and then the game will be really on.
  • Reply 59 of 170
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    If Microsoft were smart, they would use the Guru bar to better understand what the Windows user experience really is. Could be that they would learn a lot from this and improve their products. If only there was someone at MS that's actually interested...
  • Reply 60 of 170
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    If they really want to generate Apple-esque lines around the block, they should offer free Vista to XP downgrades.