Apple confirms annual iPod event for September 9

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

What're the chances of a 64GIG Touch? If they release that, I'll probably bite.

If they release a 64GB or 128GB touch with camera, I'd go for that.
  • Reply 22 of 120
    The camera is lame for me. When I take photos, I don?t want to use a toy camera. But I can see how the camera?s inclusion will be a hit with teens and extended teens taking pictures of themselves acting like d-bags to email to each other and post to social networking sites. This brings up iTunes 9 having social network integration, to which I can only say, et tu Steve?

All I want from iTunes 9 is the ability to share playlists over network?unless it?s already there and I?m too dense to find it?that and better search functionality of the App Store.

No Newton? Thank goodness. I want an Einstein, or a Heisenberg (I don?t know where my iPod is, but I know exactly how fast it is traveling), or a Hawking (Apple already has the voice). Seriously, I want a 6-7 inch iPod Touch. I will be happy with that and only that.

In a more perfect world, said Touch will also have OLED, killer battery life to allow OS 3.x to run several apps simultaneously, USB port (this is a perfect world, remember?), GPS & compass (of course), and (drum roll) 3G data.

I even say cut the iPod Touch loose from the iPod family, and create a new brand between the iPod and the MacBook, keep the 3.5? add the 6-7? in Sept 09, and add the 9-10? in 10.Q1.
  • Reply 23 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's only rock and roll, but we like it,"

Translation: "No tablet"

Cool that they are acknowledging the rampant tablet rumors like this.

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 24 of 120
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    That bit of data about the Beatles re-releasing their catalog on that Wednesday just about confirms that the Apple event will feature The Beatles on iTunes.

Why else would they have the event on the Wednesday instead of the usual Tuesday.
  • Reply 25 of 120
    If Steve would be true to his word and not care about making money on Music only on hardware we would finally see Subscription!!!

Can't wait for that day to come :-)
  • Reply 26 of 120
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Is it just me or does that graphic look like someone listening to an iPod just got shot?

-kpluck
  • Reply 27 of 120
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sources have told AppleInsider to not expect any appearance of Apple's long-rumored tablet device. That new hardware is not expected to surface in any form until the first calendar quarter of 2010.

I'm trying to remember how many years it's been now, where the mythical Apple tablet has been six months away from being released.

The rumors were old when the modbook was first released. A lot of people put off buying it, because Apple's tablet was six months away. Then another six months. Then another. Then another... Yeah, it was too expensive, but a lot more people would have bought it if these rumors hadn't poisoned the water, don't you think?
  • Reply 28 of 120
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

The camera is lame for me. When I take photos, I don’t want to use a toy camera. .

A 'low quality' camera that you actually have with you and use is infinitely better than a high quality one that's not with you.

I had a high quality Cannon video camera for years, on which I recorded probably about 5 final hours of video. I dreaded lugging it along, and as a result, usually didn't. NEVER got spur of the moment, fun, memorable video on it.

I got a Flip Mino (not even the HD version) and have recorded so much on it that I'm having to buy extra storage to keep up. And I now use my iPhone happily.

People get WAY too hung up on the technical quality of photos and video and forget why most people use them... to get memories of their friends and families that you can look back on and enjoy. I have hundreds of horrible quality, Brownie photos from 50 years ago from my family that I wouldn't trade for anything, and I know I'll feel the same about the ad hoc video I've captured of my family as well.

I can't wait to see what my daughter captures with the touch I'll be buying her next week.
  • Reply 29 of 120
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Any word on whether the iPod touch will include WiFi-n chips? The pundits seem to be ignoring that. About a year ago, Steve Jobs complained that the existing chip sets consumed too much power. Has that changed?

At several of the public venues where I work, 2.4 GHz and 'g' WiFi is saturated. in one case, 24 stations are visible, in another there are 6, all competing for what are effectively 3 channels. Being able to use 5.6 GHz under 'n' would make a big difference.

And I still hope Apple will surprise use with a built-in GPS. WiFi location isn't useful if you can't log onto a WiFi system to get to an Internet database. GPS would make an iPod touch handy for traveling and spare us the woes of getting iPhone cellular accounts in multiple countries.
  • Reply 30 of 120
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Boy the press likes to torture the old Apple Computer vs Apple Records thing don't they?

Anyone who likes the Beatles already has their music from way back, either from cd's or pirated.

The college kids today, they nearly all think rap music is the ONLY music.

Good thing there is college to experience new things!

Pshaw! Rap music? Wow, there's an oxymoron for you... Les Baxter all the way, baby.

Jimzip
  • Reply 31 of 120
    It's unlikely that they would have used a lyric from a Stones song if one of the announcements was that Beatles music would be available on iTunes. Perhaps the surprise musical act will be the Rolling Stones instead of John Mayer, although I doubt it.

No mention of Apple TV this time.

I wonder if Steve will be giving the keynote? If he still looks skeletal, he may not to avoid rumors about his health overshadowing the announcements as happened last time.
  • Reply 32 of 120
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Any word on whether the iPod touch will include WiFi-n chips? The pundits seem to be ignoring that. About a year ago, Steve Jobs complained that the existing chip sets consumed too much power. Has that changed?

At several of the public venues where I work, 2.4 GHz and 'g' WiFi is saturated. in one case, 24 stations are visible, in another there are 6, all competing for what are effectively 3 channels. Being able to use 5.6 GHz under 'n' would make a big difference.

And I still hope Apple will surprise use with a built-in GPS. WiFi location isn't useful if you can't log onto a WiFi system to get to an Internet database. GPS would make an iPod touch handy for traveling and spare us the woes of getting iPhone cellular accounts in multiple countries.

not with my iphone 3GS. still sucks up power and i can get a few hours usage out of it at most
  • Reply 33 of 120
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Pshaw! Rap music? Wow, there's an oxymoron for you... Les Baxter all the way, baby.

Jimzip

i have a young child and there is rap now on Noggin, which is owned by Nickelodean. One of the shows even has a beat box class. times are changing.
  • Reply 34 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

If Steve would be true to his word and not care about making money on Music only on hardware we would finally see Subscription!!!

Can't wait for that day to come :-)

You'd better get comfortable because your wait will continue......and continue......and continue......and continue....
  • Reply 35 of 120
    Those "insider" sources claiming that the tablet will debut in early 2010 are probably coming straight from Apple executives. They want to make sure there is minimal dissapointment when the tablet doesn't show up at the fall music event. There have already been sources claiming that Jobs had given the go ahead for a 2010 debut.

Once I heard that I knew it was for real. I say January at an event that would parallel Macworld. I'm guessing a special Apple campus event. And no, it's not going to be at CES either.
  • Reply 36 of 120
    I'm lookind for 3 things at this event:

1. An update to AppleTV, which is long overdue. I've been holding out on buying one for over a year now.

2. Announcement of AT&T finally getting their act together in regards to MMS.

3. iTunes 9 that manages having your music and videos on a wireless hard drive better. Right now, every time I turn my computer off i have to manually search for each song or video that i store on my timecapsule...unless i'm just missing something in the current version...
  • Reply 37 of 120
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    iTunes renamed to iPlay (my prediction)
  • Reply 38 of 120
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I was getting worried that we weren't going to have an event. It would be grand if Steve MC'd it.
  • Reply 39 of 120
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiefted View Post

<quote> Also rumored is a possible introduction of iTunes 9,</quote>

Since most of the "standard" apple software is now running in 64 bit mode with Snow Leopard out and iTunes 8 running in the 32bit mode think iTunes 9 is more likely than not.

Likely, however the 64 bit kernel apparently only runs on the most recent Macs with 9400 chip set so I wonder if there is really much of a performance boost to having 64 applications if the kernel is still 32 bit.
  • Reply 40 of 120
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've gotta ask... just where are you getting this "Newton Web Tablet" stuff?

Why do you ask? What does it have to do with this article?