Apple confirms annual iPod event for September 9

Comments

• Reply 61 of 120
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Kind of like U2 which switched to RIM. If they did that the trade rags would rip them a new one.

This room complained about U2 being too old. Give me a break. Bono is 49. Mick Jagger is 66 years old.

Talk about scraping the barrel.

But it's a really, really famous barrel.
  • Reply 62 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 15inchbrich View Post

Because the back to school promo ends 9/8/09. Do think steve wants to give away a 3rd Gen iPod Touch with a new mac for 1 day.....

As I've said before, the product intro dates seem arbitrary and poorly timed with regards to typical seasonal events.
  • Reply 63 of 120
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Thanks for the info. I guess in the case of MacBookPro3,1 late 2007 which I have, will not run 64 bit extensions but with respect to 32 gigs of ram, whenever the large density memory modules become available, my computer will likely be obsolete.

I can't use 64 bit anything on my mac. I have the first gen intel core duo orphan 32 bit processor. As far as I can tell, 64 bit wont really do anything for you unless you have more tha 4 GB of ram to begin with. Of course rewriting itunes to 64 bit may also involve optimizing the existing code.
  • Reply 64 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

Then how do we square the rumors of 10 inch Wintek touch screens manufactured for late summer delivery? If true, that's alot of touch screen inventory sitting around in warehouses until 1st Quarter 2010! Maybe there are multiple tablets coming at different launches, fall 09 and 1stQ 2010.

Consider this... there may not be an iTablet/iPad/reconcepted iBook waiting in the wings.
  • Reply 65 of 120
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

Then how do we square the rumors of 10 inch Wintek touch screens manufactured for late summer delivery? If true, that's alot of touch screen inventory sitting around in warehouses until 1st Quarter 2010! Maybe there are multiple tablets coming at different launches, fall 09 and 1stQ 2010.

Multiple rumors converging into reality at the same place and time? Wouldn't something like that disrupt the space/time continuum?
  • Reply 66 of 120
    Quote:

Also, is there an iprod1,1 launch for this event? IF so, what is it?
  • Reply 67 of 120
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

maybe another company is releasing a tablet?
  • Reply 68 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i have a young child and there is rap now on Noggin, which is owned by Nickelodean. One of the shows even has a beat box class. times are changing.

Noggin, Nickelodeon, Teen Nick, MTV/MTV2/MTVTres, VH1, all owned by Viacom. Whatever they want to push in order to make money, they can do from when a baby is born to is 20s. Scary.
  • Reply 69 of 120
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Uhm... I thought we knew this already?

Operative word: "Confirms."

Before, it was a rumor. Now, it's news.
  • Reply 70 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Uhm... I thought we knew this already?

Anyhow, I have only two hopes for iTunes 9.

1] That they cut out all the bloat from the application, especially in the Windows version (though, seeing they probably WANT it to run slow, to entice you to a mac even if both would run at the same speed...)

2] WATCH FOLDERS for both OSs.

My guess, More bloat, less control.

Screw it, I'm using Amarok.

I'm not sure what you mean by "watch folders for both OS's". Do you mean you want it to manage the music in the folders from both OS's? or are you talking about a computer that dual boots and both iTunes to be synced to the same library? The first thing "Manage music in the folders" it will do.
  • Reply 71 of 120
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "watch folders for both OS's". Do you mean you want it to manage the music in the folders from both OS's? or are you talking about a computer that dual boots and both iTunes to be synced to the same library? The first thing "Manage music in the folders" it will do.

Actually it wont. If you add a file to the itunes library in mac, it will copy the file into the folder but it will not add that file to the library of itunes in windows. You would have to manually add it.

What the poster wants is itunes to detect new files in its library folder, even if itunes didn't put it there. It's a very reasonable request and most other media players can do it. There are some tricks you can perform to make up for some of the functionality, but watch folders should be an option.
  • Reply 72 of 120
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As I've said before, the product intro dates seem arbitrary and poorly timed with regards to typical seasonal events.

I agree that holding Macworld Expo in early January (and CES then too) is particularly insulting to everyone's shiny new Christmas presents, but corporations have learned to use seasonal events to move stale products. You and I might want all the shiny new stuff to arrive at peak buying times, but it would be bad for Apple. They know people will pay full price for shiny new stuff and need those peak buying times to move older products that are crying for an upgrade or price reduction.

Like most manufacturers Apple never introduces new product after October. This gives the general public, the people who never visit sites like this, plenty of time to familiarize themselves with the holiday lineup and ensures each gift matches the wish. An update in November would seriously screw early shoppers.

The free iPod event every summer is even more effective. It helps move more Macs than would otherwise sell, moves iPods that even members of the general public realize are due for an upgrade, gets people hooked on the iTunes eco-system and greatly reduces the buyer's remorse that would otherwise kick in when the September/October hardware upgrades are unveiled.
  • Reply 73 of 120
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Is it just me or does that graphic look like someone listening to an iPod just got shot?

-kpluck

I LOL
  • Reply 74 of 120
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    To Teckdud.

No a "true" fan would buy vinyl records and listen to them on a set up with tube amps. Seems you don't know anything about music either.

Now that I know you can filter out users... Hasta la vista
  • Reply 75 of 120
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

To Teckdud.

No a "true" fan would buy vinyl records and listen to them on a set up with tube amps. Seems you don't know anything about music either.

Not true- since one play and the vinyl degrades.
  • Reply 76 of 120
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    The iPod ads, from the start, were clearly influenced by the Robert Longo paintings of the 1980s depicting people dancing in contorted (violent) positions.

Can google him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Is it just me or does that graphic look like someone listening to an iPod just got shot?

-kpluck

• Reply 77 of 120
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

20% or more of the time.

Perfectly acceptable to millions of iPhone / Touch users.
  • Reply 78 of 120
    Quote:

Can someone explain how exactly this works unless your machine has an actual blu-ray laser in it? \

It is possible now to add an external Blu-Ray drive to burn data cds. However, when and until Apple adds the necessary support to Os X, you can not watch a Blu-ray movie.
  • Reply 79 of 120
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Oh yeah right- you're in a restaurant or at a party and you start requesting that you move all the light fixtures around to capture an instantaneous shot. Talk about - SHEESSHHH!!!!!!

I can see why you're so beloved by all here for responding to the actual posts you're arguing about. I never questioned your 20% or more of phot-ops lost without a flash figure, nor that one would be desirable (if the output was user controllable, as most auto-flashs pump out way too much light on close-up subjects) - just the technology, cost, and other design compromises which might be required to get one into the upcoming iteration (& expecting one when the iPhone didn't get one in its '09 refresh) - and how using one's brain, creativity and materials at hand, one might be able to mitigate a few of those (in interesting ways).

I doubt - other than gross RAM you'll see the touch line getting too far ahead of the phone line in basic features anytime soon. so I'd be putting flash and optical zoom on my '010 wish list, not next week's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teckstud

BS- maybe you can't hear it but many of us audiofiles can.

And I want to support your spelling here, not the PC pedant who said "audiophile." Because you often do play the same song over and over again.

(Jus' tweakin' you a little, TS. It'd be a blander forum without your prickly self.)
  • Reply 80 of 120
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Perfectly acceptable to millions of iPhone / Touch users.

duh- that's because iPhone users have no choice due to battery consumption needed for calls.Touch users should have that option of a flash.