Microsoft unleashes retail talking points attacking Linux, Macs

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physics View Post

Don't forget to include the cost of maintenance utilities, such as a good disk defragmenter and registry cleaner, to keep your Windoze system's performance up to snuff.

Auslogic Disk Defrag = FREE

CCleaner = FREE

So I included them pesky costs, and nothing much changed
  • Reply 122 of 127
    All seems fair to me. Obviously its a biased but I'm sure Apple must tell their employee's similar things.

The Live / MobileMe comparison may not be perfect and MobileMe may do things that Live doesn't, but at the same time Live is free and MobileMe is something you pay for but never own. iWeb is also not the equivalent of Writer. Writer will publish to 3rd party sites like Word Press and is specifically for writing blogs. iWeb on the other hand is more like a Shareware version of Dreamweaver.

What also isn't mentioned is Live is just one of MS's online services. In comparison to iDisk, as well as Sky Drive they also have Mesh thats even more like iDisk with the OS integration but it also integrates with Finder on a Mac. Or there's the online office tools which you can save to direct from Office apps on the Mac as well as PC.

It may be biased but I wouldn't strictly say its lying, and claiming that a Mac can run windows as a defense isn't a great one. After all you can run OS X on a PC to!
  • Reply 123 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

All seems fair to me. Obviously its a biased but I'm sure Apple must tell their employee's similar things.

I think the difference here is, Microsoft is not giving this training to Microsoft store employees (though, I'm sure they will when the stores open). Best Buy sells both macs and PCs (my Best Buy, for example has no Mac representatives. Its just normal Best Buy employees with Macs sitting on the floor). That's a bit of an unfair bias. Apple has no responsibility to sell PCs in their retail stores, and as others have said, have been told only to promote Apple products, not slam others (other than the obvious commercials). I've never walked into a Mac store and hearing Apple employees slamming Windows, though I've never had a genius bar one on one training or anything like that.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

No, you just took the one quote which was a partial quote... .

Which quote? Come on. This is basic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Your implication was that I was some type of rich maniac throwing money around.

No, I implied that you enjoyed telling people how financially comfortable you are. Your own words helped form that deduction.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I think the difference here is, Microsoft is not giving this training to Microsoft store employees (though, I'm sure they will when the stores open). Best Buy sells both macs and PCs (my Best Buy, for example has no Mac representatives. Its just normal Best Buy employees with Macs sitting on the floor). That's a bit of an unfair bias. Apple has no responsibility to sell PCs in their retail stores, and as others have said, have been told only to promote Apple products, not slam others (other than the obvious commercials). I've never walked into a Mac store and hearing Apple employees slamming Windows, though I've never had a genius bar one on one training or anything like that.

Isn't it up to Apple to provide the equivalent to Best Buy employees? After all the incentive to learn it all is coming from MS, Apple could just do the same thing.

I've heard an Apple employee slam Windows before with the general Virus's etc. Plus its hard to get past the Ad's as well. At least MS hasn't got to the stage of actually slamming Apple on TV yet, then it really would turn into a bitch fight.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    Quote:

Isn't it up to Apple to provide the equivalent to Best Buy employees? After all the incentive to learn it all is coming from MS, Apple could just do the same thing.

Really, that's the wrong question to be asking. Isn't it up to Best Buy to provide unbiased training for all its products so they can best help their customers find what's right for them? Rather than help them find the companies that do the most employee giveaways.

"training" materials like this only serve to water down the best buy brand and ruin their credibility
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:

I've heard an Apple employee slam Windows before with the general Virus's etc. Plus its hard to get past the Ad's as well. At least MS hasn't got to the stage of actually slamming Apple on TV yet, then it really would turn into a bitch fight.

You mean Laptop Hunters didn't pull that off?

"I guess I'm not cool enough to own a Mac". That's the only direct quote I remember, but I remember almost every one of the commercials had an actor slamming Apple for being pretty but not as much computer or something like that.