From OLED to Tegra: Five Myths of the Zune HD

Comments

• Reply 61 of 581
    It's easy to spot a Microsoft/Zune troll. This is their typical signature when losing an argument.

"PWNED but thanks for trying

next time, try harder"
  • Reply 62 of 581
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Be honest: if the iPod touch revision had included an OLED screen, you'd be hyping that like it's the best thing ever. Same with Tegra and hi-def video out.

I'd buy a touch just to get the App Store, but who cares what people buy? Trashing an unreleased product while preaching to the choir is bad form, methinks.

Tegra and HD output ?!!!!

NO. you are dead wrong here. Appleinsider would be very surprised by tegra in an apple product

and apple fanboy will say hd output is useless and then proceed to cry.

-

about oled. I read disappointing story about what oled was supposed to bring to TV. It seems, not only with zune, than full-color ipod-like screen oled are NOT what technicals newspapers told me it would be. For TV, it's like a distant futur for better tv thanks to oled.
  • Reply 63 of 581
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

...unless of course, you're planning to always stay at home in a candle-lit basement.

Classic Prince!
  • Reply 64 of 581
    why are there so many microsoft fan-people on this forum with desperate attempts at damage control for the zune? they must be getting paid. i would expect some critical analysis of the article but this is just annoying, but it guess thats the point. well the zune apparently blows (as does just about everything microsoft touches) so the last laugh is on them.
  • Reply 65 of 581
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dominiej View Post

Yeah, 'cause in that time period, you got to listen to millions of tracks legitimately that you otherwise may not have had a chance to...

And here's another point - of those 120-140 songs - how many would you continue to listen to indefinitely? What's the point of buying music you will not care about in a year or more?

Let's change that to say that you get a chance to listen to some of the millions of tracks offered. Maybe at the most, a few thousand. it's the selection, not the number that you can actually listen to.

But again, it's a failed model. People don't seem to want music subscriptions. All the companies that offer them are either now out of business, or are seeing their subscription numbers dropping. Why will the Zune's be different? What evidence that it's doing well?
  • Reply 66 of 581
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I don't think you are going to win this argument. Zune pass is a nice option to have. It works really well for some people.

An option proved to be a failure. The current music subscription model will not succeed.
  • Reply 67 of 581
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's interesting that despite that, subscriptions are a failure, while Apple's model has propelled it into the largest music seller in the world. Yes, not just the US, but now the world.

Meanwhile, the Zune has sold less than 2 million units in two years. Sales were actually down 43% in the last quarter, and they're discontinuing all their players for the HD.

So most people say about the listening to millions of songs?big deal!

I think many people find the initial argument of "but what happens if you stop paying" to be convincing at first. But, my experience is that skeptics can be won over if they actually try it out for a couple months.

On several occasions, coworkers have heard me speak happily about my use of a music subscription service (first Rhapsody, then Zune), and had initial worries like that. BUT, in every case, if they have actually tried it out for a month or two they've become enthusiastic fans just like I am.

Also, I think people have no idea of what it really would be like to have access to all that music to roam through exactly how you want, without being at the whim of a Pandora or Slacker or other music selection algorithm. They may say it's "no big deal", but as with my coworker friends I think that could change if they got a taste of it for a couple months.

When I first tried a subscription service it was on a whim. I didn't think it would be that big a deal either. Here I am years later, and absolutely love it, and couldn't imagine being without the flexibility.

For me that's the biggest selling point of the whole Zune platform. I love my iPhone, and think iPod touches are excellent MP3 players. (We have one of those too, but it's my husband who primarily uses it)

If Apple did come out with a similar service then I'd be very tempted to just stick with my iPhone. But, they don't, and Rhapsody for iPhone still is missing key features, so I'll be sticking with Zunes in the meantime. Fortunately for me they happen to be very capable too, so I don't feel like I'm compromising.
  • Reply 68 of 581
    Quote:

I don't think you are going to win this argument. Zune pass is a nice option to have. It works really well for some people.

You got it right; "Some people." Just a few, really. Most just want to buy.
  • Reply 69 of 581
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

why are there so many microsoft fan-people on this forum with desperate attempts at damage control for the zune? they must be getting paid. i would expect some critical analysis of the article but this is just annoying, but it guess thats the point. well the zune apparently blows (as does just about everything microsoft touches) so the last laugh is on them.

Because they actually think that their lame arguments will change people's minds.
  • Reply 70 of 581
    Quote:

Exactly. I am sure Apple can (and will) turn on a 'rent' feature overnight if they thought it made economic sense. That's a temporary competitive advantage that will last all of a nano-second.
  • Reply 71 of 581
    Quote:

Don't confuse the Zune with the XBox. We don't know what, if anything, will come of this. If it does, then you can tell us how great it all is. Right now there is nothing.

The XBox is only a success because MS had been willing to lose over a billion dollars a year selling it. No other company would have done that.

That's why this is a rumor forum and you were gushing about OLED when you thought it was going to be in the tablet... If it's ever released.

And they can still afford to lose money on the Zune because of all the revenue they'll have coming in from Windows 7. Let's keep in mind...

Apple has been losing money on AppleTV for years.

What MS fans are hoping for is a combined solution for Mobile Media, Streaming Movies (already have it with XBox and Netflix) and WiFi to any computer in the house.

That with what's been rumored is sure to take to make the headlines tomorrow.

Wait, I forgot the "one more thing", it will integrate with the new Windows 7 Home Media Center for a complete entertainment solution.
  • Reply 72 of 581
    Quote:

Because they actually think that their lame arguments will change people's minds.

Actually, no, I imagine most Zune-Defenders posting here have no illusions they will change anyone's mind on such an Apple-biased forum where people have very partisan views.

I'm just bored and making time pass on this night before my Zune HD arrives. I'm posting on Zune fan sites as well, but a little good-natured back-and-forth with skeptics can be fun too!
  • Reply 73 of 581
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmamule View Post

I think many people find the initial argument of "but what happens if you stop paying" to be convincing at first. But, my experience is that skeptics can be won over if they actually try it out for a couple months.

On several occasions, coworkers have heard me speak happily about my use of a music subscription service (first Rhapsody, then Zune), and had initial worries like that. BUT, in every case, if they have actually tried it out for a month or two they've become enthusiastic fans just like I am.

Also, I think people have no idea of what it really would be like to have access to all that music to roam through exactly how you want, without being at the whim of a Pandora or Slacker or other music selection algorithm. They may say it's "no big deal", but as with my coworker friends I think that could change if they got a taste of it for a couple months.

When I first tried a subscription service it was on a whim. I didn't think it would be that big a deal either. Here I am years later, and absolutely love it, and couldn't imagine being without the flexibility.

For me that's the biggest selling point of the whole Zune platform. I love my iPhone, and think iPod touches are excellent MP3 players. (We have one of those too, but it's my husband who primarily uses it)

If Apple did come out with a similar service then I'd be very tempted to just stick with my iPhone. But, they don't, and Rhapsody for iPhone still is missing key features, so I'll be sticking with Zunes in the meantime. Fortunately for me they happen to be very capable too, so I don't feel like I'm compromising.

While I believe that there are some people who just love them, they are still a failure.

The fact is that many companies that offered them are no longer around. Some major companies. Even MS turned off the lights at one of their subscription services.

Rhapsody, which you like, has been losing subscribers for a long time. Real may go out of business, etc.

Why is that? If as you say, people just love it after trying it for a while they should be growing.

It seems that more people become disenchanted after a while with these services than like them.

I expect them to disappear.
  • Reply 74 of 581
    Quote:

Let's change that to say that you get a chance to listen to some of the millions of tracks offered. Maybe at the most, a few thousand. it's the selection, not the number that you can actually listen to.

But again, it's a failed model. People don't seem to want music subscriptions. All the companies that offer them are either now out of business, or are seeing their subscription numbers dropping. Why will the Zune's be different? What evidence that it's doing well?

You're seriously hoping for an answer from these guys to logical questions like that?
  • Reply 75 of 581
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

You got it right; "Some people." Just a few, really. Most just want to buy.

If apple provided the same service, I would consider it. I would be willing to pay $1.50 per song for 10 songs if it allowed me to preview entire albums before I purchased them. There have been numerous occasions where I've purchased an album and regretted it later. Zune pass doesn't mean that you can't buy songs at the same time, it could be used to supplement purchasing and prevent bad purchases.

Edit: The difference between Zune Pass and other models, as I see it would be the 10 songs you can keep. The downside of course is that you still have to pay the subscription fee even if you can't find 10 songs a month that you want to keep. However, the subscription stigma will likely remain with Zune pass and most people wont touch it, that doesn't make it a bad service, but it could mean it still fails in the end.
  • Reply 76 of 581
    This is bit like comparing a Mustang and a Camaro... You're never going to get the GM guy to look at the specs of the Mustang, or the Ford guy to look at the specs of the Camaro. Get what makes you feel good, and have a good time with it - THAT is what makes it a useful gadget.

I had a piece-of-crap $500 Dell Axim... but with a bit of work it kept my life and music handy for a couple of years... Now, a $199 iPod Touch is a million times better... but either is just as worthless if you don't use it...
  • Reply 77 of 581
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. I am sure Apple can (and will) turn on a 'rent' feature overnight if they thought it made economic sense. That's a temporary competitive advantage that will last all of a nano-second.

Well, Apple has now allowed Rhapsody's iPhone app into the store.

Why, one may ask?

Because if you like a song, you can tag it, and then, guess what, buy it from iTunes.

So why should Apple have their own subscription service?
  • Reply 78 of 581
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're seriously hoping for an answer from these guys to logical questions like that?

One can always hope.
  • Reply 79 of 581
    Quote:

Well, Apple has now allowed Rhapsody's iPhone app into the store.

Why, one may ask?

Because if you like a song, you can tag it, and then, guess what, buy it from iTunes.

So why should Apple have their own subscription service?

Because there are still serious shortcomings to Rhapsody's iPhone service that they could easily resolve for their own service to give it a huge advantage. (Allow local storage of subscription songs, better than 64kbps bit rate, presumably a larger selection to choose from too(?)).

Let's face it, if Apple did activate some subscription service tomorrow, everyone would be "Rhapsody WHO?!?!"
  • Reply 80 of 581
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Apple has been losing money on AppleTV for years.

Groan. There's that canard again. Please provide a cite? (Hint: You can't).