Review roundup: Zune HD plays catchup to iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I guess regular iPod refreshes, the App Store, the iPod as a pocket computing device, iTunes and regular software improvements, more storage, more speed, the best mobile browser etc., aren't actual improvements.

Should we be impressed that MS improved on garbage? Isn't that supposed to be easy?

Apparently, not, because it still isn't enough.

I was talking about the Apple TV- can't you read? Well when is APple going to improve on its garbage, I mean "hobby". So now your telling me I can put Apps on my Apple TV? Is there no end to your delusion?
  • Reply 82 of 231
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Try sticking an iTV in your pocket and taking it for a walk, and you might understand

Try navigating the Zune from the couch while it is docked underneath your TV. Not that I am defending the Apple TV, I want to see it improve too.

PS. Quit saying iTV, that isn't its name.
  • Reply 83 of 231
    Quote:

There's not a whole lot of reason to be discussing this anyway, I'm beginning to realize. This thing will flop the same way the original Zune did. It's an exact rehash of the original Zune situation, except a few years later.

We're debating yet another one of MS' failures-to-be.

What flop? Microsoft is a software company, hence making the Zune their "hobby"

It's been in existence for over 3 years now and getting stronger now with the ZuneHD. That sounds like pretty decent progression to me. I'm just being unbiased.
  • Reply 84 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's been in existence for over 3 years now and getting stronger now with the ZuneHD. That sounds like pretty decent progression to me. I'm just being unbiased.

That's a typical MS excuse. It was just a "hobby" or an "experiment" that MS can afford to half-ass and not get called out on. They're not really serious, anyway . . .

Like the slow kid in the class. It's alright, he's trying!

A "real" experiment is the Apple TV. That's something Apple can afford to play around with for as long as they like. It's part of an emerging market, still trying to find its direction.
  • Reply 85 of 231
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Nowhere to go but up from their 1% market share.
  • Reply 86 of 231
    Quote:

That's a typical MS excuse. It was just a "hobby" or an "experiment" that MS can afford to half-ass and not get called out on. They're not really serious, anyway . . .

Hmmm, ever heard of the XBOX experiment, which played 2nd fiddle to PS2, and the XBOX360, which the PS3 plays 2nd fiddle to now?
  • Reply 87 of 231
    Quote:

Hmmm, ever heard of the XBOX experiment, which played 2nd fiddle to PS2, and the XBOX360, which the PS3 plays 2nd fiddle to now?

Yeah, the one that's cost them over a billion in losses.
  • Reply 88 of 231
    ZuneHD is more of a digression than a progression...

It's more expensive and it still lacks the craftsmanship of ipod touch.

Sorry MS it should be back to the drawing board again.
  • Reply 89 of 231
    Quote:

A "real" experiment is the Apple TV. That's something Apple can afford to play around with for as long as they like. It's part of an emerging market, still trying to find its direction.

Your kool-aid in your bathtub has been drawn sir. It awaits you- don't drown. Later.
  • Reply 90 of 231
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

All the cables? Try HDMI and power. Last time I checked, the Zune HD dock needs those as well.

And the audio going to my receiver and the Ethernet cord if that's how you have it connected to your network. And don't forget to take your little Apple remote control or your AppleTV will be useless when you get to your friend's house.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I don't keep my home theather cables out in the open where they are easily accessible. They are tucked away behind everying nice a neat. I'd much rather take just a small, pocketable device and a single cable, to make my content portable, than rip apart my entertainment center.
  • Reply 91 of 231
    Quote:

I doubt the Xbox is a viable analogy for the Zune HD. Certainly not when the Zune HD is competing directly against Apple's hendheld ecosystem. MS has absolutely no time to mess around in this area, and they've already shown a startlingly incoherent strategy when it comes to handhelds. MS "getting it right" with the Zune HD when the rest of the indsutry has long since moved on isn't really saying a whole lot.
  • Reply 92 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

Why do we reward mediocrity?

Because Microsoft reward with $$$$$!!!
  • Reply 93 of 231
    Quote:

Your kool-aid in your bathtub has been drawn sir. It awaits you- don't drown. Later.

When you praise a company that has singlehandedly revolutionized the handheld industry (twice over), not as a reaction to any competition, but creating an entirely new paradigm each time, it's not Kool-Aid. It's making a smart bet.

There is no Apple "Kool Aid." Just the reality of witnessing continued success, year after year. Apple guides the rest of the industry. It's only natural that this will impress nearly everyone. Even naysayers. Why even argue against it.

When the Great Zune HD revolution happens and I refuse to recognize it, then you can call me anything. But until then, don't get all cooked because we're backing a winner.
  • Reply 94 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And the audio going to my receiver and the Ethernet cord if that's how you have it connected to your network. And don't forget to take your little Apple remote control or your AppleTV will be useless when you get to your friend's house.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I don't keep my home theather cables out in the open where they are easily accessible. They are tucked away behind everying nice a neat. I'd much rather take just a small, pocketable device and a single cable, to make my content portable, than rip apart my entertainment center.

The analogy was that I was hypothetically taking my AppleTV to my friends house to watch some videos or a movie. For that, we don't necessarily need the ethernet cable if the movie or videos are already on the 160GB drive on my AppleTV. If we wanted to rent a movie, then I could just connect wirelessly to my friends network. Though, borrowing the ethernet cable from his PS3 would be even easier. As for the audio to the receiver, the HDMI carries that to the receiver and then the receiver then sends HDMI to the TV. And that little Apple remote, the Zune's dock has one of those too. Lastly, if your setup's wiring is tucked away nice and neat behind the equipment, then presumably the Zune's dock cables are as well. No more or less than the cables to the AppleTV, except that I can just borrow the HDMI off of my friends PS3 or other HDMI source. Technically, all I need is the power cable and the remote. Oh wait, I don't need the little remote, I can control my AppleTV with my iPhone.
  • Reply 95 of 231
    Quote:

There is no Apple "Kool Aid."

KASPER! Please made this the website's subtitle.
  • Reply 96 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Boston Globe's Hiawatha Bray:

The hardware makes the iPod touch look "fat and clunky." "The Zune?s sleek, angular look is made possible by a touchscreen that uses organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, technology, instead of the standard liquid crystal displays. OLEDs generate their own light, so there?s no little bank of fluorescent lamps mounted behind the screen. That makes the Zune remarkably thin and light."

Interesting he did not know that the iPod Touch is actually thinner than the new Zune.

Talks about how the screen makes it so thin.....but its really not.
  • Reply 97 of 231
    Quote:

KASPER! Please made this the website's subtitle.

rofl.

let him be. He's just an Apple fan who will hate anything Ms does, regardless of what it is. There is something telling, however, of his need to constantly comment on the subject. Deep down he knows the Zune HD is a pretty cool toy, but since MS makes it, he has to voice his disapproval.
  • Reply 98 of 231
    Competing against the iPod Touch in 2009, and not the iPhone, is a bit like claiming you're master of the bunny hill at the ski resort.
  • Reply 99 of 231
    Quote:

Competing against the iPod Touch in 2009, and not the iPhone, is a bit like claiming you're master of the bunny hill at the ski resort.

Ok that's too far. You know how many lives the bunny hill has claimed? It's not something to be taken lightly. As soon as you lose your fear and respect of it, it'll wrap you around a tree like it was nobody's business.
  • Reply 100 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

rofl.

let him be. He's just an Apple fan who will hate anything Ms does, regardless of what it is.

Probably because most of what they've done for the past decade, and are doing now, really doesn't merit any significant level of excitement.

You'll forgive me if I have little to no faith in a company that has been in a near-comatose state when compared to a rival half its size and half its resources.

When it comes to the consumer sphere, MS hasn't known WTF it's doing for years. Sorry for not being super-pumped about a device that is yet again, trying to ape what Apple has already chewed up and spit out.

How the hell am I supposed to react?