Review roundup: Zune HD plays catchup to iPod touch

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I love Apple and I've owned nearly every model of iPod that ever existed, starting with the 5GB original iPod.

That said, owning a brand new iPod Touch as well as an iPod Classic, and with the experience of owning all those other iPods, I would have to agree that music functionality on the iPod Touch is barely useable without the headphones with remote, and I hate the apple headphones.

Where is that damn remote extension for third-party headphones!? Apple promised it would be forthcoming when the idiotic Shuffle3 was first released, and it still doesn't exist (or is hard to find, to say the least).

Anyway, it doesn't matter, as the Classic is still my music playback device of choice by a wide margin. I love the Touch for apps, games, and connectivity.

The Touch, unbelievably, and to my great disappointment, also sucks for video compared to the Classic. With the Classic I can put my music videos on random shuffle and output to my TV. There's no way to do this with the Touch. This is asinine.

+1. I, however, am switching from an iPod Touch to a new Classic. I have 80GB of music and 20GB of videos on my iTunes and my 32GB 3GS is already full. Thus, a Touch would be of little meaning to me since I have an iPhone, an iPod Classic would be a wise choice for me..l
  • Reply 222 of 231
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

People keep saying this, but it doesn't appear to be true. Just because hardware is capable doesn't make any given device potentially anything. That's software's job, and software doesn't magically spring to life because the hardware "could" do something.

Claiming that the Zune is just some apps away from being a Touch competitor is exactly like saying the Xbox is just a few apps away from being an iMac competitor. Sure, the iMac has more apps now, but the Xbox totally wipes the floor with the iMac when it comes to game play, and that's a great foundation to build on, right?

No. Software will be the driving force behind mobile computing, as Apple has shown, and Apple ended the "MP3 player on steroids" era. Just because MS wants to make that a product category doesn't' mean anyone else has to.

This is...... not good. As in makes no sense whatsoever. The Zune isn't a "stepping stone" in the sense that the Touch is a stepping stone, because the Touch is everything an iPhone is sans cell radio and phone app, running the same OS, and they both are here now and full fledged pocket computers, whereas the Zune is not. And does not share anything, at the moment, with any phone software MS makes. You're using "stepping stone" in two completely unrelated ways to imply that both MS and Apple are feeling their way to the future of mobile computing, but Apple is already doing it. MS is doing whatever it is they're doing, but the Zune certainly doesn't represent the future.

So now it's "mini-games" that people want, because, just coincidentally, it's mini-games that the Zune offers. I have no idea when it became clear that there is a large market for people who just want music, movies and mini-games, when they can pay the same money and get a hell of a lot more. But all of a sudden that idea, that what people are really longing for is the simplicity of not having to deal with all that functionality, has become quite popular. I wonder why?

I'm not surprised that the Zune would sell well initially-- it's novel, it's pretty, and there are a certain number of people that will jump at the chance to buy anything that doesn't suck and isn't Apple.

But eventually the novelty will wear off, and people will realize that what they have is a fancy iPod with a browser. Back when Apple only made scroll wheel iPods, that would have been amazingly competitive.

Honestly,

One could 'pick apart' any/all aspects of this addabox tirade, but I'll just sum it up by asking -

Delusional... Much?
  • Reply 223 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

Sup, I own an iPhone and a Zune HD because the iPod functionality on the iPhone is unintuitive and uninspired. In my opinion it is barely functional.

The core media functionality of the ZUNE HD very effectively exposes the iPod Touch as the archaic/stagnant technology that it truly is.

Of course the naysayers will exclaim... But The Touch Is A Pocket Computer (Blah... Blah... Blah) which of course can be said of any/all media player, phone, handheld gaming system et al., and especially the ZUNE HD, a portable/pocketable device far more technologically advanced (display, processor, hybrid digital radio, high definition video output, GPU, and the like) than any iteration of the iPod Touch.

Personally, I like my iPod Touch(s) just fine, but when it comes to which is the more capable device, the fact is, my ZUNE HD is far ahead in the hardware department.

Now let's see what developers do with the ZUNE apps store -
  • Reply 224 of 231
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You forgot to mention the VIDEOS of MAGIC TABLETS that are so far ahead of anything APPLE can even imagine that they should GIVE UP.

But you're right, the ZUNE HD has HD RADIO and VIDEO OUT which are from THE FUTURE , where the ZUNE HD has traveled back in time from to KILL THE TOUCH.
  • Reply 225 of 231
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The core media functionality of the ZUNE HD very effectively exposes the iPod Touch as the archaic/stagnant technology that it truly is.

Of course the naysayers will exclaim... But The Touch Is A Pocket Computer (Blah... Blah... Blah) which of course can be said of any/all media player, phone, handheld gaming system et al., and especially the ZUNE HD, a portable/pocketable device far more technologically advanced (display, processor, hybrid digital radio, high definition video output, GPU, and the like) than any iteration of the iPod Touch.

For some kind of hardware reviewer, your persistence and style sure makes you sound like a biased astroturfer.

Quote:

Personally, I like my iPod Touch(s) just fine, but when it comes to which is the more capable device, the fact is, my ZUNE HD is far ahead in the hardware department.

And that really sums you up. As these kinds of devices turn more and more to the software... your still bleating about hardware.

Quote:

Now let's see what developers do with the ZUNE apps store

Well they had better be quick. Microsoft has made it clear that Zune hardware will get, probably, one upgrade... and that will be the end of it. Zune will end up as 'software and services' and will probably replace WMP on the PC.

ZUne HD enjoyed the hype... and had a good launch. NPD will probably announce some pretty solid sales figure... but the 15 minutes of fame is over.
  • Reply 226 of 231
    OK, so I got to play with a Zune HD today.

And..... I don't get it. It's fine, I guess, but I really don't know why anyone would get particularly excited over this device.

It's got marginally better blacks than an LCD screen, but I didn't find the display "stunning" or "game changing" or anything like that. It looked fine.

The "OS" consists of lists that zoom. How this constitutes some kind of leap past the iPhone OS escapes me. I'm serious, what the hell is up with people claiming that the Zune HD represents some kind of huge advance in a mobile OS? Sorry, that's bizarre and delusional. It. Has. Lists. That. Zoom.

The navigation is somewhat unintuitive, since "back" is either a tap that summons an arrow, unavailable, or the home button, and you have no way of knowing what's what.

So, it competes real well with the Nano. Nano has iTunes, Zune HD has subscription services. Nano has a camera, Zune HD has HD video out. Nano is cheaper, Zune HD has bigger, nicer screen.

The idea that the Zune HD in any way competes with the Touch, much less makes it look "stale", is a joke. The idea that "lists that zoom" will somehow morph into an actual mobile OS by adding a few apps borders on insane.
  • Reply 227 of 231
    Quote:

OK, so I got to play with a Zune HD today.

And..... I don't get it. It's fine, I guess, but I really don't know why anyone would get particularly excited over this device.

It's got marginally better blacks than an LCD screen, but I didn't find the display "stunning" or "game changing" or anything like that. It looked fine.

The "OS" consists of lists that zoom. How this constitutes some kind of leap past the iPhone OS escapes me. I'm serious, what the hell is up with people claiming that the Zune HD represents some kind of huge advance in a mobile OS? Sorry, that's bizarre and delusional. It. Has. Lists. That. Zoom.

The navigation is somewhat unintuitive, since "back" is either a tap that summons an arrow, unavailable, or the home button, and you have no way of knowing what's what.

So, it competes real well with the Nano. Nano has iTunes, Zune HD has subscription services. Nano has a camera, Zune HD has HD video out. Nano is cheaper, Zune HD has bigger, nicer screen.

The idea that the Zune HD in any way competes with the Touch, much less makes it look "stale", is a joke. The idea that "lists that zoom" will somehow morph into an actual mobile OS by adding a few apps borders on insane.

Actually the only 'joke' here is that you're even pretending to be remotely objective...

Suggestion: The next time you attempt to evaluate a non-Apple device, try removing those Apple-Colored Fan-Biased Goggles.
  • Reply 228 of 231
    Quote:

Actually the only 'joke' here is that you're even pretending to be remotely objective...

Suggestion: The next time you attempt to evaluate a non-Apple device, try removing those Apple-Colored Fan-Biased Goggles.

Oh for God's sake, you've been pimping the Zune like a giddy school girl with a feverish crush. You make the average Apple partisan look like a model of decorum and restraint, and you're in no position to lecture anyone about fan-biased goggles.

I don't even own a Touch, I don't really care about these products that much. Maybe that's why I'm not overcome with awe and wonder when I see a little bitty screen with slightly improved contrast. Maybe that's why I don't pass out from delight when I see a very basic, list-based hierarchical menu structure tarted up with zooms and big type faces.

Sorry that I can't share in your wildly disproportionate ecstasy over a perfectly decent portable music and video player, but it's not a product category that's very interesting, these days, no matter how big you make the category headings.

And, again, the idea that this ability to move from list to list with a bit of animated panache is somehow going to "evolve" into an "operating system" that leaves the iPhone OS in the dust is just foolish. Only a rabid fanboy would imagine otherwise.
  • Reply 229 of 231
    Quote:

Oh for God's sake, you've been pimping the Zune like a giddy school girl with a feverish crush. You make the average Apple partisan look like a model of decorum and restraint, and you're in no position to lecture anyone about fan-biased goggles.

I don't even own a Touch, I don't really care about these products that much. Maybe that's why I'm not overcome with awe and wonder when I see a little bitty screen with slightly improved contrast. Maybe that's why I don't pass out from delight when I see a very basic, list-based hierarchical menu structure tarted up with zooms and big type faces.

Sorry that I can't share in your wildly disproportionate ecstasy over a perfectly decent portable music and video player, but it's not a product category that's very interesting, these days, no matter how big you make the category headings.

And, again, the idea that this ability to move from list to list with a bit of animated panache is somehow going to "evolve" into an "operating system" that leaves the iPhone OS in the dust is just foolish. Only a rabid fanboy would imagine otherwise.

... and therein lies the problem with your little tirade.

I (personally) OWN every model, of every generation of iPod yet released (save the new CLASSIC), in addition to OWNING every generation of every Zune ever released, so I post from a perspective of long-term experience with these devices, as opposed to someone who just happened to 'play' with one (Zune HD) for a few minutes at some brick-and-mortar store.

I suggest you either put your money where your mouth is, or just stay out of the conversation -
  • Reply 230 of 231
    Quote:

... and therein lies the problem with your little tirade.

I (personally) OWN every model, of every generation of iPod yet released (save the new CLASSIC), in addition to OWNING every generation of every Zune ever released, so I post from a perspective of long-term experience with these devices, as opposed to someone who just happened to 'play' with one (Zune HD) for a few minutes at some brick-and-mortar store.

I suggest you either put your money where your mouth is, or just stay out of the conversation -

Uh huh. Congratulations on your extensive collection of audio players.

That, however, does not change the nature of the argument you have been making-- that the Zune HD represents some kind of massive advancement of the art, that it eclipses the Touch, and that the Zune HD "OS" is poised to revolutionized hand held computing.

Those things are demonstrably ridiculous. I don't have to live with a Zune HD for months to discern that, because the Zune HD is a relatively limited device that just does a few things. It's a PMP. That's it.

The argument you've been making is akin to claiming that, say, a new flat screen TV with on screen widgets and internet functionality is poised to take over the desktop computer market, because the widgets have really cool animations and the contrast ratio is outstanding.

It's just not a reasonable thing to assert. It wouldn't be a reasonable thing to assert if you owned every TV every made, because that's not the point. The point is some fundamental category confusion on your part, coupled with a level of enthusiasm for the product that seems to have trumped your common sense.
  • Reply 231 of 231
    Quote:

You forgot to mention the VIDEOS of MAGIC TABLETS that are so far ahead of anything APPLE can even imagine that they should GIVE UP.

But you're right, the ZUNE HD has HD RADIO and VIDEO OUT which are from THE FUTURE , where the ZUNE HD has traveled back in time from to KILL THE TOUCH.

Smiley alert!