For students, Windows 7 will equal Snow Leopard's price

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    Although I techinically graduated last December, my University email is good through this December. You better believe I'm all over this! Checked the site and my email is valid

I never would have bought 7 at full retail price, keeping my Boot Camp installation to Windows XP. But at this cheap I'm definitely upgrading. (Besides, I've been trying out the Win 7 RTM in Parallels, and it runs very well I must say.)
  • Reply 22 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Not at all. They did something NICE by offering this.....and then made it unnecessarily complicated.

Well, it's not even exactly "nice". They realize what a fiasco Vista was and they want to make sure everyone upgrades this time, so they are pushing this release hard: Discounted versions, massive ad campaign, etc...
  • Reply 23 of 122
    I understand that maybe AppleInsider's target audience is the US, but you should realize it is not exclusively the US.

When you post something like this, "For students" it looks like it's for all students. Like...everywhere in the civilized world. But it's not, it just for those in the US. And believe it or not...the US is not always the center of the world.

Sorry about the rant, but it's something that happens alot and this time I had to say something.

Snow Leopard's price is basicly for everyone. You live in Mars and have Leopard? Great, here's an cheap upgrade for SL.

So this is apples and oranges...since the "equal price" is a promotion, for a very limited number of students.

(On the other hand, you get a full version of Windows 7 versus an upgrade for Snow Leopard.)

A simple "For US students, Windows 7 will equal Snow Leopard's price" would be much nicer.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    Well, I really don't see how this will matter because:

a) People with Macs may or may not upgrade to Snow Leopard, but they aren't going to change outright to Windows 7. Might snag it for bootcamp but that's not making it a primary OS. I use it only to play LOTRO on my MacBook Pro.

b) People buying a new computer right now are gonna get a Mac or get a PC with Win 7 on it soon so they won't be buying this (unless bootcamp of course).

c) People who upgrade to Win 7 probably weren't thinking about switching to a Mac anyway. Hold on to them Microsoft, hold on to them.

The least Microsoft can do is TRY to get less people to just pirate their OS. Windows for the consumer has always been overpriced anyway. I have a legal copy of Windows 7 and I will admit that it's better than Vista, although it did BSOD in the middle of my game once. Still feel more comfortable in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

This isn't really comparable to Snow Leopard, since SL at $29 is just an upgrade...the windows thing is the full clean install version for that price.

Snow Leopard is able to do a clean instal too I believe as well (correct me if I am wrong I have yet to try this) as a simple upgrade to an existing Leopard.

Edit : I see this true.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

LaserWriters were wonderful. Full Postscript.

Although not much by today's standards, they were great back in the day.

I have two in the garage, free to anyone willing to pay shipping or collect (Sarasota FL).
  • Reply 27 of 122
    Any one notice that the domain is registered by a @mac.com email address?
  • Reply 28 of 122
    A couple things about Snow Leopard.

1) one version

2) one price

3) anyone could buy at this price

4) price was so low, that pirating it didn't make sense.

If Microsoft wants my money, follow Apple's lead.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This site is so biased, the site clearly says $29.99, not $30.

#s
  • Reply 30 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlowry View Post

Any one notice that the domain is registered by a @mac.com email address?

out of sheer curiosity, how do you check this?
  • Reply 31 of 122
    The main differences between Apple and Microsoft, more often than not, is that Apple is proactive and Microsoft is reactive.

That said, I see Microsoft approaching a Windows 'Terminal' Edition. There is only so much refinement that can be done to the NT code base. This also includes the graphical user interface. The GUI of Windows 7 reminds me of a blend of traditional Windows, KDE in Linux and some elements of OS X.

I'm sure if there is any further 'improvements' in Windows it will be from someone else's innovation.

I don't see why Microsoft couldn't offer their product for $30 to everyone on a non-time limited offer. Actually, Windows is probably worth about that much but people will continue to pay outrageous amounts for it over and over again.

I seriously doubt this will happen since billionaires need more money.

Downloading should clog bandwidth pipes on campuses unless a smart IT member blocks it and burns a DVD for students, staff and faculty.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

By looking up the whois. I noticed that the site states "This site is hosted by The Rice Company on behalf of Microsoft", so I went to look up the whois, and saw that the administrator contact was an @mac.com email.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Go to www.whois.com and enter any domain name you like...
  • Reply 34 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Well not exactly - I bought a new printer to replace my trusty old Apple LaserWriter 630 Pro - which only supports Apple Talk - which somehow got left out of Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard dropped support for a 15 year old printer?
  • Reply 35 of 122
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Snow Leopard dropped support for a 15 year old printer?

And support for the Classic Environment.

Actually I have not missed the Classic Environment for a while - and I could setup a print server on an older Mac that cannot be upgraded to 10.6.

And I used the lack of Apple Talk to justify the new printer as I have always wanted one that could do 11x17 - my old LN17 printer (without PostScript chip) will go to my parents' windows network and the 630 will go to my daughter's network (of older Macs).

Overall I am ahead of my parents - I got them new Windows machines, they are in Real Estate including Appraisal and the software they use is either Windows only or the the windows version is WAY ahead of the Mac version - and in their case I accidentally ordered a 64 bit system with 64 bit Vista and then had to upgrade and or replace his three main apps - still working on getting one of them working properly a week later.
  • Reply 36 of 122
    who would pay 30 dollars for windows 7?

or better yet, who would even install it, if it were free?
  • Reply 37 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have two in the garage, free to anyone willing to pay shipping or collect (Sarasota FL).

What's the text dpi on them?

Too bad they're unsupported in SL.

But such is the forward march of technology.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

who would pay 30 dollars for windows 7?

or better yet, who would even install it, if it were free?

I'm with you on this. Bur for those who want to make use of Bootcamp for whatever reason, they might as well get it legit.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Just to clarify, SL is $29 for existing Leopard (10.5) owners, but the only way Tiger users can legally obtain it is through the Box Set price. So while the $29 install DVD may technically work as a clean-install for all Intel-based Mac users, it is legally only available for 10.5 users.

(I know that many Tiger users will get it anyway for $29, but for the sake of discussions we should be precise about product comparisons.)

-----

On a different note, where do all these people get 'legal' copies of Windows 7? I wasn't aware it was for sale yet.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troy.banther View Post

The main differences between Apple and Microsoft, more often than not, is that Apple is proactive and Microsoft is reactive.

Incredibly well said.