For students, Windows 7 will equal Snow Leopard's price

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, they mean Tiger.

Really, if most of Windows' user base were students, this would be news. As it stands it's a nice discount for a certain segment of their market, nothing more.

Yeah if we ALL could get it for $30 then it would be News but students been getting Microsoft Windows and Office products below that price for years. \
  • Reply 62 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the download is probably an iso file like you get from technet or msdn and you just burn your own DVD

From what I understand, this isn't the case. They state you won't be able to use the downloaded file to perform a clean install. So I'm just inferring that it won't be an iso, more likely some sort of .exe or .msi file.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the download is probably an iso file like you get from technet or msdn and you just burn your own DVD

Oh probably. I do consider retail disks to have some value though.

Edit: Or not, as the post above me implies.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwin2213 View Post

Where was the option to order the disc? I placed my order, but the only extra option I had was the download backup for $5.95.

When your in the shopping cart screen, there's a button right below.
  • Reply 65 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

I checked this out on the site - there was no way I could see to get the professional version - only the Home version, which is lame.

Let me know if someone else figures it out. This is actually better than our school licensing prices. Great for running under Fusion if you are still using XP.

To the poster who said Snow Leopard is just an upgrade price, go do some research. It can be installed on any machine.

I had the same experience, the site would only allow me to purchase Home edition premium rather than the Professional edition. Maybe they will allow such an option sometime in the future probably by that time you wouldn't be allowed to download it since you've already exhausted your one time purchase limit. Having said that, who in their right frame of mind would have a choice of Home edition vs Professional and decide to go with the Home version, Not so sure why would they offer such a choice in the first place.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    What was the previous price for student versions before? With so many students buying Macs and MS matching the price for students this will likely be a hit to their bottom line that they didn’t account for at the beginning of the quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Just to clarify, SL is $29 for existing Leopard (10.5) owners, but the only way Tiger users can legally obtain it is through the Box Set price. So while the $29 install DVD may technically work as a clean-install for all Intel-based Mac users, it is legally only available for 10.5 users.

(I know that many Tiger users will get it anyway for $29, but for the sake of discussions we should be precise about product comparisons.)

Perhaps, but I would think the people that would be fine obtaining the OS illegally would have likely found someone with the Leopard install disc and have upgraded long ago already.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    If you can do a clean install with this version, I am sold. I use SL for just about everything, but it is kind of a comfort factor knowing that I have Windows 7 RC on my MBP if I absolutely need it. I'll pay $30 to keep that on here.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I was wondering if it was possible to just burn the downloaded version and install that on Windows XP, without having to buy a $13 dvd from M$oft? If so why does Microsoft force people to pay for DVD?

I am talking about a clean install here (cause I have XP and will have to clean install to get Win7.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    EDIT: nvm.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Well not exactly - I bought a new printer to replace my trusty old Apple LaserWriter 630 Pro - which only supports Apple Talk - which somehow got left out of Snow Leopard.

Actually it was a used printer and I only paid $200 for it but had to replace a few parts - and it is much bigger than the 630 - with duplex and 11x17.

Really? That printer was last sold in 1993. Welcome to 2009 . I don't mean to be a hater, but print quality, speed, and cost has come down tremendously in the past 16 years.

And, a word of advise - don't be 'that guy'. Meaning, don't be the guy that hauls his 10+ year old printer to the Genuis Bar and then pitches a fit when the Genius' look at you like your crazy, has never seen that model before, and can't support it. This happens. No joke.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpymw View Post

Snow Leopard is a full version. You can do a clean install with SL.

You can do a clean install with an "upgrade" version of Windows, too.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

This isn't really comparable to Snow Leopard, since SL at $29 is just an upgrade...the windows thing is the full clean install version for that price.

To the best of my knowledge, SL also, can do a fresh, clean install ... still only $29.95.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

As far as boot camp is concerned, no real reason to purchase a mac when it will sit in windows all day, just too pricy when I can get the latest DX10 hardware much more cost effective.

I would suggest that the majority of boot camp users don't "sit in windows all day" but rather only go there when they are forced to by circumstance. The mere fact that they bought a mac in the first place should have given you a hint that the Mac OS was their "weapon of choice". Logic, my friend, logic.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    The comparison is the $29 SL upgrade and the $30 Windows 7 upgrade (downloaded online). Aside from the OS itself, with SL, you have a real retail disk that can be used over and over again if you run into trouble or simply want to reinstall.

Windows 7 has to be downloaded. Some say it is an ISO file. If you burn this to a DVD, can you boot from the ISO file on a DVD? (I honestly don't know.) I'm just thinking what a user is supposed to do if half way through the Windows 7 upgrade, something goes wrong and you're left with a non-functioning system. What then? I'm assuming that if you spring for the extra $13 for the disk kit, you'll also get a real retail version of Windows 7. But then that's comparing $29 to $43.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Download and install a whole new OS?

What could possibly go wrong...

Right?
  • Reply 76 of 122
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    every burning program automatically extracts the iso and burns a normal bootable DVD. iso is just so you have to download one file instead of thousands. you can burn as many DVD's from one iso file as you want
  • Reply 77 of 122
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I was wondering if it was possible to just burn the downloaded version and install that on Windows XP, without having to buy a $13 dvd from M$oft? If so why does Microsoft force people to pay for DVD?

I am talking about a clean install here (cause I have XP and will have to clean install to get Win7.

if it's an iso file like you get from technet or msdn than you can burn as many dvd's as you want from it. the $13 is if you want a DVD officially from MS and not make your own
  • Reply 78 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

The comparison is the $29 SL upgrade and the $30 Windows 7 upgrade (downloaded online). Aside from the OS itself, with SL, you have a real retail disk that can be used over and over again if you run into trouble or simply want to reinstall.

Windows 7 has to be downloaded. Some say it is an ISO file. If you burn this to a DVD, can you boot from the ISO file on a DVD? (I honestly don't know.) I'm just thinking what a user is supposed to do if half way through the Windows 7 upgrade, something goes wrong and you're left with a non-functioning system. What then? I'm assuming that if you spring for the extra $13 for the disk kit, you'll also get a real retail version of Windows 7. But then that's comparing $29 to $43.

Yeah I'm sure it will be a dvd image. To do a clean install you would have to boot from a drive other than the system drive, or do a partition thing, which would be a PITA. I'm sure it's a dvd image just like the free release candidate.
  • Reply 79 of 122
    They'd have to be paying students to buy this crap. And this is no joke. Like apple's pub. department said nothing is a bargain when what you buy can't actually do what you want it to do. These kids have tough and shit ty times ahead of them, some of them little do they know about the spyware, the malware, the viruses, the pop ups, the dll hell, the registry, the settings mess... like some of us before them, they will learn the hard way, when their photos get corrupted, when that paper they were writing vanishes out of thin air from a blue screen of death, when ms abuses and forces them to countless moronic updates, when they can't plain and simple clone their whole system and end up restoring from tiresome manual backups, for those that actually bother to back up in the ms way, when their mobile phone gives them a trashy interchange of data with their computer, when, when, when...and maybe some of them will get wiser with time and see through all the lies about compatibility and user base, and get a mac and then they 'll be able to do what they care instead of catering to a crappy os's problems.

Oh and what about the antivirus, who's gonna top the extra $40.

And of course it goes without without saying that the students will have free ms phone support for an hour, and every hour next will be $15/h.

And what about the students that want to buy 7 after January. Won't they need textbooks for the second term?

MS is very considerate at offering students sub par products either crippled by an expiration date (as in the rc candidate) or crippled by an expiration of the offer. Most of which students they have ripped time and again with such generous prices as $150 for ms office and $150 for an os like vista that rendered their machines slow as dogs and obsolete, actually forcing them to spend another $700 or so for a new computer.

How generous and considerate. That's microsoft, generous and considerate, always. Here's a lovely app for your zune hd, chess, you can play chess, can you believe how advanced and generous we ms are to give you chess, just sit tight and enjoy...not chess of course, that won't be for another minute...enjoy a tv add brought to you by the creators of microsoft bob, clippy and other dead computer animated characters.

But maybe any student dumb enough or gullible enough to shop anything from ms nowadays deserves no better...no I take that back. Students are kids some of them, and they deserve better treatment not taking advantage of their naivete and forcing them to buy junk like netbooks that will cripple their spine and destroy their eyesight, or 7 that will force open a new generation a far inferior platform than the open source alternatives or mac os x.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Very good point. As usual, Microsoft puts out a product that is 10% execution, 45% marketing and 45% shafting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Download and install a whole new OS?

What could possibly go wrong...

incredible posts guys. lmao all the way.