Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Macbook Pad?

Macbook Slate?

Macbook Tablet?

Macbook Board?

What will Apple's tablet be called?

(I wonder, why is "book" in the brand name anyway?)
  • Reply 82 of 141
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Quite the contrary...

Buy a ZUNE HD now, and rest assured that it will be an integral part of a much lager media-centric ecosystem, that includes integration with the extremely successful X-BOX 360, as well as almost every other media platform they'll release in the foreseeable future.

See How That Works

I would agree with that statement if Microsoft had a good track record with device and software integration. They do too much parellel development. Works/Office, WMP/Zune Software, and Zune OS/Windows Mobile 6.5/7 would be some examples.

The Zune (edit: and this rumored tablet) might become the center of a much larger media-centric ecosystem, but it could easily be replaced with some other similar product/program they develop at a later date. If they were really into media integration, The Zune would sync with Outlook, WMP and the Zune Software would be combined, and the mobile operating systems would either merge or share features with each other.

While Microsofts media-centric ecosystem is still developing, Apples is established (while still improving), and there are no hints that iTunes or iPods could be dropped from it. Everything from their computers, to their personal media players, set top boxes and even routers are in this ecosystem.

Microsoft definitely has the potential to create a great media centric ecosystem, but they haven't done it yet.
  • Reply 83 of 141
    Quote:

"Tablet PC refers to a product announced in 2001 by Microsoft, and defined by Microsoft to be a pen-enabled computer conforming to hardware specifications devised by Microsoft"

It goes back way further than that.

http://www.pencomputing.com/PenWindows/

Quote:

I feel confident that Apple will make a good go of the Tablet Personal Computer, but they really are some 8 years late...

Nobody has done it right yet, so nobody who does get it right will be considered late to the party.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

yeah what an awesome, just AWESOME quote.

He forgot to add that the device will blue screen, catch on fire, then spit molten plastic into the eyes of the user.

I can't work out whether you are being hostile or agreeing ?
  • Reply 85 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

why would you want MS to fail and pose no threat to Apple? Wouldn't their success only drive Apple to make better products for you?

If MS weren't where they are now there would surely be dozens of other companies driving innovation forward, Apple is the only company that has stood up to MS and look at the difference. chalk and cheese! If MS fails now, there will be dozens of new companies vying to take their place, each with ideals of making good products rather than defending their monopoly position.
  • Reply 86 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ok, the tablet could be used to make the Apple TV into a sandwich press- a panini melter.

if it does that I'll take two. better than a margaritaville
  • Reply 87 of 141
    Regarding: "Foley went on to note that Microsoft apparently intends to get out of the hardware business, with only a few more iterations of its Zune hardware before the functionality becomes a part of mobile phones."

Why would MS be stocking up on retail stores if they were getting out of the HW Biz?

Hmmmmm.
  • Reply 88 of 141
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It goes back way further than that.

http://www.pencomputing.com/PenWindows/

Nobody has done it right yet, so nobody who does get it right will be considered late to the party.

That's really a matter of opinion/perspective...

As a former USAF aerospace engineer (now retired), we used Windows-base Tablet PCs almost exclusive in the field, and they proved highly portable, efficient, and well-suited for just about any task.

So, one could easily reason that they/MS absolutely go it 'right' in that respect.

Additionally: One could also argue that it was Apple who 'copied' their entire touch-screen aesthetic from one of the earliest consumer Win-Tablets, the 2003 COMPAQ TC1000.

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content...paq-tc1000.jpg
  • Reply 89 of 141
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Quote:

As a former USAF aerospace engineer (now retired), we used Windows-base Tablet PCs almost exclusive in the field, and they proved highly portable, efficient, and well-suited for just about any task.

So, one could easily reason that they/MS absolutely go it 'right' in that respect.

Additionally: One could also argue that it was Apple who 'copied' their entire touch-screen aesthetic from one of the earliest consumer Win-Tablets, the 2003 COMPAQ TC1000.

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content...paq-tc1000.jpg

If you copy something, but it works (and sell millions) ? is that really copying

skip
  • Reply 90 of 141
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Quite the contrary...

Buy a ZUNE HD now, and rest assured that it will be an integral part of a much lager media-centric ecosystem, that includes integration with the extremely successful X-BOX 360, as well as almost every other media platform they'll release in the foreseeable future.

See How That Works

They're getting out of the Zune hardware business... and that makes you think it WILL be well supported in future? Let's just say that's not Microsoft's habit with past dropped experiments (Plays For Sure?)

This imaginary ecosystem that you think may arrive someday doesn't stack up well with the iPod's ACTUAL ecosystem, given that both devices cost the same. Especially since Microsoft has said they don't plan to open the Zune HD up to the developer community nor create an app store.

The X-Box has sold many units, though, you're correct.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Photogenec View Post

Regarding: "Foley went on to note that Microsoft apparently intends to get out of the hardware business, with only a few more iterations of its Zune hardware before the functionality becomes a part of mobile phones."

Why would MS be stocking up on retail stores if they were getting out of the HW Biz?

Hmmmmm.

I suppose because it's a gradual exit: they still plan "a few more" models.*

(Of course none of this is direct info from Microsoft.)

* And that exit doesn't mean the Zune SOFTWARE moving to mobiles. (That might give some hope to Zune HD owners.) Since the new mobile platform is expected to be WiMo 7, not the Zune platform, it sounds like Apple is ditching the Zune hardware AND software alike. (But not just yet? So keep selling what they can, I guess.)
  • Reply 91 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Photogenec View Post

Hmmmmm.

You are assuming that Microsoft a) has a plan and b) the marketing guys and the Zune guys actually talk to each other.

PS. Mobile phones running Zune software could still be sold in a Microsoft store.
  • Reply 92 of 141
    Quote:

A pretty limited respect. I think what everyone is anticipating is a breakthrough product that will work outside of fairly specific applications. General appeal is much harder.

Also, I was pointing out the history of these types of devices. Microsoft wasn't there first; in fact, they came up with their first pen interface in reaction to GO. Once GO was GONE they lost interest, since that was really the point of PenWindows in the first place.

Quote:

That's a reach.
  • Reply 93 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That's a reach.

Yes it is to those who are unwilling to see that which is right in front of them...
  • Reply 94 of 141
    Quote:

Yes it is to those who are unwilling to see that which is right in front of them...

Based on the picture alone I would say that is a reach too, needs a home button.
  • Reply 95 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

At this risk of sounding like a single topic poster, I ask again:

Has MS had an ORIGINAL IDEA in its existence?

Okay I thought I was going to stay out of this one; I could not help myself :-D

My favourite MS idea was the "Start Something" Campaign where you can start anything you like.

I still do prefer to finish everything I start, so I choose to use my Mac :-)
  • Reply 96 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Based on the picture alone I would say that is a reach too, needs a home button.

Sure... Whatever you say -
  • Reply 97 of 141
    Quote:

Sure... Whatever you say -

The bezel looks a little similar and the screen is retangular (different aspect ratio though). Oh and there are no buttons. Happy?
  • Reply 98 of 141
    It will not be just a tablet, it will be a tablet scanner, i.e. photocopier.

They are a laughing stock.
  • Reply 99 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco_Kid View Post

Okay I thought I was going to stay out of this one; I could not help myself :-D

My favourite MS idea was the "Start Something" Campaign where you can start anything you like.

I still do prefer to finish everything I start, so I choose to use my Mac :-)

hahaha, good one.

They are launching the "start and finish something someone else started and finished and it was called the iphone" soon.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Quite the contrary...

See How That Works

You seem like a die-hard Microsoft fan so I won't try to convince you otherwise, but Microsoft's Zune/Pink/Tablet efforts will fail for a whole other reason that no-one is talking about but is unavoidable.

Microsoft, like many US companies has a hard time remembering that most of the world exists outside of the US borders. Most US companies miscalculate in this way, (although some don't and some do it better than others). Apple used to be really bad at this also, but recently with the iPhone, they've sort of "seen the light" and have gone global with a passion.

Right now MS is looking at something less than 1% of this new platform as their market. Even if Zune took off like a rocket and they got fantastic numbers, we are still talking about them getting maybe 10% of a market that Apple already owns 70% or 80% of. Even then, because they are only selling in the US, Apple's growth in the same market would be double, triple, (or more), of the very best that MS is able to do in the USA because the addressable market is so much larger.

Zune's don't even operate properly outside of the USA, and Microsoft is not currently thinking of selling them anywhere but the USA. That alone will sink them even if the Zune HD is the biggest success they've ever had. Unless something happens to change the trends, Apple has already won the new smart portable market for itself. Apple has to actively "slip-up" at this point and Microsoft has to keep polishing this turd hoping for that opportunity, but it's a long shot no matter how you look at it.