AT&T notifies iPhone users of impending MMS launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    I'll never understand why anybody cares about sending a picture that is so low in quality that the person receiving it can't even make out what it is.

It's like complaining that you can't send a telegram. It's just something for losers who have nothing better to do with their lives to complain about. I think Apple didn't include it because MMS is a crappy, outdated, archaic system that doesn't deserve to be perpetuated. The iPhone does email, IM, voice and several other things - why the f- does it need MMS????
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

There are some international carriers that offer iPhone tethering free.

Could you name them?
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why so frigg'n negative.?

1.) My bill is sky high already.

2.) http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/biztech...age/index.html

How much are you paying?
  • Reply 44 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Wow...hold the presses...a wireless user has connection problems in San Fran....the land of hills, valleys, concrete & steel structures, and NIMBY (Not In My BackYard) Syndrome...where it can take years to get approval for a new cell tower.

You beat me to it.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Like most cell phones, they are not physically capable to send or receive MMS.

That's a joke -right. WHat cellphones can't? My $50 verizon cellphone could even do that. It's not physically able to do it because Apple didn't include it in it's hardware/software compatibility.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    What is this? Are they talking about on your bill you can go back and see the contents every single text you've sent? Or something else, like texting from the web?
  • Reply 47 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

I'll never understand why anybody cares about sending a picture that is so low in quality that the person receiving it can't even make out what it is.

It's like complaining that you can't send a telegram. It's just something for losers who have nothing better to do with their lives to complain about. I think Apple didn't include it because MMS is a crappy, outdated, archaic system that doesn't deserve to be perpetuated. The iPhone does email, IM, voice and several other things - why the f- does it need MMS????

Speed.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

What is this? Are they talking about on your bill you can go back and see the contents every single text you've sent? Or something else, like texting from the web?

When someone sends an iPhone user an MMS message, instead, they automatically get sent a text message with an ID and password and a website to visit. The iPhone user then goes to that website, enters the ID and password and then immediately gets an error message. Or maybe that was just me.

Sorry, actually, you would supposedly be shown the actual MMS.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Quote:

Speed.

Really? Exactly how much slower is email than an MMS?
  • Reply 50 of 106
    Quote:

Could you name them?

Vodafone Australia offers it for free. Unfortunately I can't read anything except spanish and of course english, so I couldn't tell you about other countries but I believe either Sweden or Switzerland is also one of them.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's more than the actual speed of the data- it's the whole routine of sending/receiving itself. When you receive a text it appears (and states from who) right on your iPhone, even if locked. SO it's instant notification. YOu can't tell that from email (all you see is a #), but first you must unlock your phone, then you need to launch Mail. Then to compose it has less steps - no subject, no need for internet connection, etc. And I believe the data really does transfer faster if the respective status gauges are any indication. The GI looks like iCHat so it's much easier to follow a conversation. I can communicate very efficiently, have mutiple dialogues going on, all with a quick glance at my phone. Different strokes for different folks.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:

Like most cell phones, they are not physically capable to send or receive MMS.

Not true, original Iphone can be jailbroken and install the 3.0 MMS profile. There was a blog on how it was completely possible.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    I agree with the above poster, however I think the issue with them claiming it doesn't work is because Apple is touting video uploads as a feature, which isn't possible with the 1st gen. I also don't think it can do voice memos, but I am probably wrong on that aspect.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    Quote:

When someone sends an iPhone user an MMS message, instead, they automatically get sent a text message with an ID and password and a website to visit. The iPhone user then goes to that website, enters the ID and password and then immediately gets an error message. Or maybe that was just me.

Sorry, actually, you would supposedly be shown the actual MMS.

Cool, thanks.

I myself prefer email. MMS is what my 16 year old sister does. The rest of the civilized world uses email.

Tethering, though, I'd love. I'd even take it as a "day pass" model since I don't find myself away from wireless much.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AvidMarxist View Post

I'm on a family plan, with unlimited messaging, out in San Francisco, running iPhone 3GS with OS 3.1

Did people on the West Coast get this message yet?

I have a family plan with unlimited messaging as well. I'm in NYC and haven't gotten the message either.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Why always so frigg'n negative?

And why not? Everybody else that provides unlimited data plans either charges separately for tethering or it is buried so deep, even a minor's light and a pneumatic drill wouldn't help find it.

He's off his med's again.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:

It's more than the actual speed of the data- it's the whole routine of sending/receiving itself.

OK, but you said speed.

Quote:

When you receive a text it appears (and states from who) right on your iPhone, even if locked. SO it's instant notification. YOu can't tell that from email (all you see is a #), but first you must unlock your phone, then you need to launch Mail. Then to compose it has less steps - no subject, no need for internet connection, etc. And I believe the data really does transfer faster if the respective status gauges are any indication. The GI looks like iCHat so it's much easier to follow a conversation. I can communicate very efficiently, have mutiple dialogues going on, all with a quick glance at my phone. Different strokes for different folks.

I understand all the steps it takes to send/receive an email and all the steps it takes to send/receive SMS, and I get that it would probably take a whole 5 seconds more to produce an email vs. an MMS message, but I'm trying to understand what makes it so great that people would want to PAY for such a feature for those rare occasions. Or are they not so rare? I mean, how many MMS messages does a person send all day vs. SMS? I regularly have "conversations" with people via SMS, but what kind of conversation would someone have with MMS? Back and forth videos, pictures, contacts?
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

I myself prefer email. MMS is what my 16 year old sister does. The rest of the civilized world uses email.

I guess that train of thought could also apply to how others view yourself, by those that write actual letters and mail them.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    Quote:

For me email is faster, because I'm generally able to send them on wifi. I'd have to have service to use the MMS.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

OK- EVERYBody remember. MMS all day 9/25/09 with a pic of the iPhone stating "AT&T SUCKS!" and crash the network!

I am cringing at this announcement because you know AT&T will not be able to support the tons of MMS's that the iPhone clan (including myself) will unleash on that day. Seriously, I wish they would have just randomly rolled it out in 10% cuts of their customer base for iPhone. This has "going to go all wrong" wrote all over it.