AT&T notifies iPhone users of impending MMS launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

OK, but you said speed.

I understand all the steps it takes to send/receive an email and all the steps it takes to send/receive SMS, and I get that it would probably take a whole 5 seconds more to produce an email vs. an MMS message, but I'm trying to understand what makes it so great that people would want to PAY for such a feature for those rare occasions. Or are they not so rare? I mean, how many MMS messages does a person send all day vs. SMS? I regularly have "conversations" with people via SMS, but what kind of conversation would someone have with MMS? Back and forth videos, pictures, contacts?

Well as I understand it with AT&T to get unlimted SMS you need to pay for unlimited MMS. Isn't this correct? At least that's how it was explained to me. I mean I SMS much more than MMS - it's just an extra inluded with the cost.

Also that 5 seconds compounded daily for 20 messages gets old -fast.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Vodafone Australia offers it for free. Unfortunately I can't read anything except spanish and of course english, so I couldn't tell you about other countries but I believe either Sweden or Switzerland is also one of them.

Read the small print.

Free tethering with limited data plans: 16 GB 3GS…at $69/month plan for 24 months, which includes $400 of calls and 1GB of data.

The 32GB model…for a $114 per month plan with unlimited calls and 2GB of data.

Tethering will be enabled for all users at no extra charge, but Vodafone will be offering the ability to add on an extra 1GB for $24.95 or 2GB for $29.95.

Tethering is not free. It is charged against your limited data plan.

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/voda...ited-data-plan
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's a joke -right. WHat cellphones can't? My $50 verizon cellphone could even do that. It's not physically able to do it because Apple didn't include it in it's hardware/software compatibility.

We are talking about multimedia, right?
  • Reply 64 of 106
    honestly, when is At&T going to enable morse code on my phone? i don't care about MMS. it's antiquated. USE EMAIL. if you're trying to send something to someone who still has a phone without email, tell them their 2 year contract was up a loooong time ago and to get a smartphone already.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Well as I understand it with AT&T to get unlimted SMS you need to pay for unlimited MMS. Isn't this correct? At least that's how it was explained to me. I mean I SMS much more than MMS - it's just an extra inluded with the cost.

Also that 5 seconds compounded daily for 20 messages gets old -fast.

One minute forty seconds in the entire day extra? What were you planning to do in that minute forty, broken up into 20 parts?
  • Reply 66 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Read the small print.

Free tethering with limited data plans: 16 GB 3GS?at $69/month plan for 24 months, which includes $400 of calls and 1GB of data.

The 32GB model?for a $114 per month plan with unlimited calls and 2GB of data.

Tethering will be enabled for all users at no extra charge, but Vodafone will be offering the ability to add on an extra 1GB for $24.95 or 2GB for $29.95.

Tethering is not free. It is charged against your limited data plan.

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/voda...ited-data-plan

Still says it will be enabled for all users at no extra charge. Yes it counts against their data plan, but it's still a free add-on. I know there are others, but since I can't read but two languages, I can't look it up. Oh well. I am still overall satisfied with AT&T and have a free aircard anyways.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

We are talking about multimedia, right?

Yes, the feature that is like 5 years old.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One minute forty seconds in the entire day extra? What were you planning to do in that minute forty, broken up into 20 parts?

Responding to you Mel!

Don't ask. You know us NYorkers have a limited amount of time. Walking the streets in NY - it's much easier to text. NO?
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:

I have a family plan with unlimited messaging as well. I'm in NYC and haven't gotten the message either.

Then why are you commenting obnoxiously on the reasons why I should it have if you have it yourself? Now that's real genius Mel.What are your reasons for buy it?
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:

He's off his med's again.

And what's your excuse?

Only vitamins here with an occasional protein pill.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:

And what's your excuse?

Mel took them for you.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Quote:

Responding to you Mel!

Don't ask. You know us NYorkers have a limited amount of time. Walking the streets in NY - it's much easier to text. NO?

I guess that's 10 steps of walking.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Not true, original Iphone can be jailbroken and install the 3.0 MMS profile. There was a blog on how it was completely possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I agree with the above poster, however I think the issue with them claiming it doesn't work is because Apple is touting video uploads as a feature, which isn't possible with the 1st gen. I also don't think it can do voice memos, but I am probably wrong on that aspect.

Like the above posters mentioned, iPhone 1st Gen can do MMS (via jailbraking OS 3.0). Simply put IMO, Apple needed a selling point and a reason for early adopter 1st Gen'ers to upgrade. Therefore, MMS got the axe for 1st Gen. Otherwise, 1st Gen'rs (like me) would be somewhat content with their Edge/MMS capable iPhone, without the need to upgrade to get 3G, GPS, video, and speed. (Granted, that's a lot within an upgrade though). Still holding out for the front-side camera/iChat functionality!
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Quote:

Then why are you commenting on why the reason why I should it have if you have it? Now that's real genius Mel.

I don't understand that post of yours.

Could you re-word that first sentence?
  • Reply 75 of 106
    Quote:

And what's your excuse?

Only vitamins here with an occasional protein pill.

You see? You ARE off your meds.\
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

Like the above posters mentioned, iPhone 1st Gen can do MMS (via jailbraking OS 3.0). Simply put IMO, Apple needed a selling point and a reason for early adopter 1st Gen'ers to upgrade. Therefore, MMS got the axe for 1st Gen. Otherwise, 1st Gen'rs (like me) would be somewhat content with their Edge/MMS capable iPhone, without the need to upgrade to get 3G, GPS, video, and speed. (Granted, that's a lot within an upgrade though). Still holding out for the front-side camera/iChat functionality!

Apple, like most companies today, does MMS over 3G. The old MMS is network restrained, which is why it's so crappy. Whether it's worth fixing is another story.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Quote:

I guess that's 10 steps of walking.

OK then, why did you buy unlimited MMS if you don't see any advantage in it or like to mock my reasons?

Tell us, all knowing one.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    Quote:

Apple, like most companies today, does MMS over 3G. The old MMS is network restrained, which is why it's so crappy. Whether it's worth fixing is another story.

You left out that Apple's is over one crappy 3G network. I can't wait til Friday.

I haven't read anywhere that this MMS will difer than anywhere else. Link please?

The pics ,etc need to be compressed to be received at the other end. Where did you read that it will be any different?
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I don't plan to leave AT&T, because they are the exclusive iPhone carrier in the US, and their customer/online services are quite helpful and convenient. However, they have lost my trust. I initially trusted their business savvy and judgement when they secured the iPhone exclusivity because I figured any company that could win over Apple must be doing something right. But the way they've struggled to keep up with the iPhone phenomenon is making me realize they were likely chosen more because they were the only carrier willing to relinquish enough control over to Apple. And that it had nothing to do with actual performance.

The thing to remember is that it wasn't AT&T, but Cingular who won over Apple. Cingular/BellSouth and SBC merged to become the "new AT&T" just before the iPhone launch (SBC owned the AT&T trademark at the time).

Being an Atlantan, I always had good service with Cingular/BellSouth, but ever since the merger, it's just gone all to hell. Not just their wireless service, but their landline (we have that at work) and their DSL service. Horrible, horrible, horrible.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:

Could you re-word that first sentence?

Done.