AT&T notifies iPhone users of impending MMS launch

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Thanks, but the link doesn't seem to work. I did hear that about MMS being free if you already have a messaging package. But a couple of unanswered questions are: Does one MMS message = one SMS message. I heard that one other company counts one MMS message as FOUR SMS messages. Also, what about the person who suddenly gets inundated with unwanted MMS messages. Won't it cost him .30 to receive each MMS message? Is there a way to have AT&T disable MMS on the iPhone, but keep SMS?

It didn't work because AT&T changed the file! I just clicked and got a totally different file regarding the same thing. You can try the link again. It still contains the same information, they just removed information regarding iPhone 3G 16GB Model being available while supplies last. As far as costing .30 per MMS, that is the going rate for AT&T users without a messaging plan. If the user has a messaging plan (ranging from 200 messages a month to unlimited) those MMS messages have no additional cost. You are absolutely right though, if a person only has a 200 message plan, and they receive MMS messages how are they counted? If a person received as little as 1 MMS message a day, and they were charged at the 4 SMS=1 MMS model, that's 120 SMS messages used in a 30 day billing cycle. One would eat through their aloud messages per month fairly quickly (leading to overages). Lets hope they are counted at 1 SMS = 1 MMS.

Anywho, here is the link again:

http://www.att.com/Common/merger/fil...omers_FAQs.pdf
  • Reply 102 of 106
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

I'll never understand why anybody cares about sending a picture that is so low in quality that the person receiving it can't even make out what it is.

It's like complaining that you can't send a telegram. It's just something for losers who have nothing better to do with their lives to complain about. I think Apple didn't include it because MMS is a crappy, outdated, archaic system that doesn't deserve to be perpetuated. The iPhone does email, IM, voice and several other things - why the f- does it need MMS????

It needs MMS because it is nice to interact with all the non-Smartphone users in the world often including those in your own family. Even if you enjoy an iPhone are you going to buy one for your 8 year old or 10 year old kid to use? If you don't think kids that age have cell phones anymore than wake up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well as I understand it with AT&T to get unlimted SMS you need to pay for unlimited MMS. Isn't this correct? At least that's how it was explained to me. I mean I SMS much more than MMS - it's just an extra inluded with the cost.

Also that 5 seconds compounded daily for 20 messages gets old -fast.

For most it ends up being much more than that because more dumb-feature phones do less but also do it very quickly. I watch most kids reply to an MMS/SMS in the amount of time it takes an iPhone to even open the app to start doing replying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't buy unlimited MMS. I bought unlimited SMS.

I bought if for my daughter. My Wife and I have written about a couple of dozen SMS's to her over the past year, apiece. Now that she's in the UK in school, we hardly send any. It'll be here when she's home. It only costs $30 a month.

MMS will come as a free upgrade to that.

I have no interest in sending the crappy pics MMS does. If I send pics, I use e-mail.

I have nothing against it for those who want it.

I like to kid you to try to take some of your edge off.

Have you looked at all into the size of most MMS messages in this day and age? Most are allowing around 300k per message or higher. While that isn't has large as email, that still isn't insignificant. You add this up times millions of messages and see why people are fearing AT&T will completely collapse under the strain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosx View Post

What a load of crap.

First off, I had a "free" camera phone on Verizon years ago that was more than capable of sending and receiving MMS.

Second, MMS is part of the GPRS standard. Anyone with an iPhone on AT&T is well aware of the fact that the iPhone supports GPRS. I would bet that AT&T's crap network kicks people back to GPRS more than they realize. GPRS is also nearly a decade old standard now.

Third, as others have mentioned, theres software that enables the functionality in the original iPhone. Not add-in software, but actually enables the functionality built-in to iPhone OS. Apple not bringing MMS to the original iPhone is just yet another classic example of Apple attempting to force upgrades.

I have activated MMS on my original iPhone and also added the appropriate profile to receive full size pics while using it under Tmobile. The results are very nice. As you note, claiming it can't be done is nothing more than Apple trying to grab more money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeremyling View Post

i cant tell you stats but i can say from personal experience that the excitement does die down quickly when i was able to send these mms while i was living in asia the first month i probably sent about 10 20 a day but after the first month it was down to practically none.

I still receive an average of three per day. I do know folks in certain fields that generate tons. Talk to any real estate agent and they go nuts with them as an example.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Mel- I hate to inform you but you've been paying for unlimited MMS- check your bill, I think that is how it's stated. The fact that we've only had SMS is AT&T's incompetence. I know because I have it too.

It doesn't really matter what they called it, it was SMS. The point is that none of us, and this includes my daughter, have an interest in using MMS's features, though I admit I'll try it a few times to see how it works and what the IQ is.

If you want the feature, thats fine, though I think it's a shame that Apple decided they had to give in, or wanted to all along.

I still find e-mail to be easy, quick, and much better, because the attachments are far better, and more useful. I still think that will be the way to go in the future, unless the MMS standards are raised considerably, in line with the greater bandwidth available.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Have you looked at all into the size of most MMS messages in this day and age? Most are allowing around 300k per message or higher. While that isn't has large as email, that still isn't insignificant. You add this up times millions of messages and see why people are fearing AT&T will completely collapse under the strain.

The question is whether those MMS services are using 3G or not. The use of 3G was supposed to enable larger attachments than the older service. I can't imagine sending 300K images over the older service.

But even that's not enough for the files I send and receive. Not everything is a jpg or png.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The question is whether those MMS services are using 3G or not. The use of 3G was supposed to enable larger attachments than the older service. I can't imagine sending 300K images over the older service.

But even that's not enough for the files I send and receive. Not everything is a jpg or png.

Of course it isn't enough for what you send and receive. That is why you bought a smartphone and pay accordingly for extra data services.

Again however is it enough for your teen or most teens? Is it enough for anyone not needing a smartphone? It is indeed and that is why it exists. It is a good enough technology, not the best but good enough.
  • Reply 106 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Of course it isn't enough for what you send and receive. That is why you bought a smartphone and pay accordingly for extra data services.

Again however is it enough for your teen or most teens? Is it enough for anyone not needing a smartphone? It is indeed and that is why it exists. It is a good enough technology, not the best but good enough.

Like I said, my teen uses e-mail for that. Whether she would go to this, I don't know s she's not back in the UK, and rates to the US from there are prohibitive, as they are from here to there. While she gets free international calls on her pay as you go plan, international SMS and MMS have to be paid for.