AT&T announces time for iPhone MMS availability Friday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

An internet server?

What makes you think it does?

What's the domain?

That depends. If it's a message from and to AT&T customers, att.com, most likely, since I doubt they are outsourcing it. (Obviously, messages to phones on other networks have to be transfered to that carrier before they can be delivered.)

What makes me think it does? Because if my phone is off the network when someone sends me a message, they don't get an error and the message doesn't just disappear. There's obviously a store and forward mechanism, similar to email.
  • Reply 82 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

What makes me think it does? Because if my phone is off the network when someone sends me a message, they don't get an error and the message doesn't just disappear. There's obviously a store and forward mechanism, similar to email.

When is your phone ever off network? Do you log in to make your phone calls?

I sort of understand what you're saying but it's like comparing apples to oranges. Totally different technologies.
  • Reply 83 of 131
    Quote:

When is your phone ever off network? Do you log in to make your phone calls?

When it's powered off, when it's in airplane mode, when I'm in a building or other area where there's no service, etc., etc.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

An internet server?

What's the domain?

Teck, you usually do your research beforehand. In the case of SMS and MMS, they go through gateways (server) exactly like email. Each cell carrier has their own plus there are a few independent messaging services as well. All the major carriers have a cooperation and agreements to allow cross carrier messaging and short numbers. Even Apple, AOL have their own gateways. I even have my own gateway where my customers can send SMS to anyone right through my Linux box with a Nokia phone connect through USB.
  • Reply 85 of 131
    Quote:

You're from Brooklyn and don't know cellphones aren't even allowed in public schools?

All you facts are based on your own useage and assumptions, and you generalize based on your own history. Baseless.

Calm down teck. I can tell you that as a teacher, most parents tell their kids to ignore that rule. It falls in the same realm of reasoning as telling a parent that when their kid gets hit, they need to be passive and go tell an adult instead of defending themselves. The rule gets made but the parents and kids circumvent it. The parents tell them to put the phone on vibrate and check it in between periods for messages. Short of installing something to stop cell signals, the schools have lost this one.

Quote:

At this point I'm beginning to think TenoBell has no friends.

I'm sure he does and I'm sure his experiences are true for him. To me though they couldn't be "typical." If I see a group or real estate agents having lunch together I'm sure every single one of them would have a smart phone. I suspect the same would be true of financial services and several other fields. A large percentage of us aren't single or childless at his age which I suspect he still happens to be.

It doesn't make one wrong, but it isn't typical.
  • Reply 86 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That depends. If it's a message from and to AT&T customers, att.com, most likely, since I doubt they are outsourcing it. (Obviously, messages to phones on other networks have to be transfered to that carrier before they can be delivered.)

No. MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service
  • Reply 87 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

As a side note completely unrelated to your message. :-)...I use the message app Beejive. When I first bought it 2 months ago I would send a pic and they would get a link to the pic...but, they couldn't open it. About 2 weeks ago, I tried again and it worked. Go figure

did they get a link to something like wap.cingular.com?
  • Reply 88 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'll give you a reason many people use SMS/MMS much more over email and it has nothing to do with any of the strange rationalizations posted above, SMS/MMS is by its very nature a PUSH service. Apple still is trying to get Push right, especially with email.

It has nothing to do with age or with income. It has everything to do with knowing that the message will be delivered immediately and when it does the person on the other in will be notified and almost always respond to it immediately.

Who cares if it is the only option or best? .

I agree the simpleness and immediacy is apart of the reason why it has become so popular. Email push is not an Apple service. Its a service from the email provider.

It does have to do with age and income. The overwhelmingly largest group of SMS users are below 25. Most of that demographic don't have smartphones.

If you want to have a discussion about how the iPhone needs MMS, you cannot ignore the fact that MMS is not the only way to send media from a phone.

Quote:

Does anyone on here really have any kids or friends that have kids? There is a reason the kids all use text messaging. It is because they do not offer unlimited family plan calling minute plans but they do offer unlimited texting for family plans. When everyone in the family can text until their brains pop out for $20-$30 but unlimited calling is often still $50-99 per phone, it is easy to see which option most families tell their kids to avail themselves of in their need to stay in touch with their friends.

I don't believe this is the primary reason for the popularity of texting. If you are on Verizon or AT&T you have at tens of millions of people that you can make free calls to. Texting can be a easier and more convenient than placing a phone call. You send someone a message and they are free to answer it at their convenience.

Quote:

Tenobell when most of us GROW UP, it isn't about just what we can buy ourselves with our money. It is often what do we have to buy the other members of the household including those who do not earn any money as well. This is where the imperfect compromises that make up MMS and SMS make sense.

This is exactly the same thing I said.

Quote:

It is just about communication. Ever had little brother tattle on big sister when she folds her skirt at the waist to make it shorter or leaves the house wearing lip gloss but arrives at school wearing lip stick? Ever had the wife out shopping and send you a pic of something she is considering purchasing and wants your thoughts? Ever had a friend send you pics of what you are missing when you stay home Friday instead of going out? MMS works fine for all of these situations and they are profoundly common. At least they are in the circles in which I run.

Most of my friends post these types of pictures on Flickr or Facebook. Posting once is a lot easier than sending to multiple numbers.
  • Reply 89 of 131
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It's true my experiece is "my experience". It's true the majority of my group are young professionals who are likely a bit above the national income average.

For work I frequently travel all over the country. I have just as many friends in California as I have in New York. Most everyone has smartphones. Mostly all use facebook, most all email and SMS. Few to none use MMS.

Quote:

I'm sure he does and I'm sure his experiences are true for him. To me though they couldn't be "typical." If I see a group or real estate agents having lunch together I'm sure every single one of them would have a smart phone. I suspect the same would be true of financial services and several other fields. A large percentage of us aren't single or childless at his age which I suspect he still happens to be.

It doesn't make one wrong, but it isn't typical.

• Reply 90 of 131
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree the simpleness and immediacy is apart of the reason why it has become so popular. Email push is not an Apple service. Its a service from the email provider.

Others cannot provide the service if Apple does not provide the framework. That was the point.

Quote:

It does have to do with age and income. The overwhelmingly largest group of SMS users are below 25. Most of that demographic don't have smartphones.

You seem to keep making this into an "or" decision when for most people it is an "and" decision. People can want MMS AND email. It doesn't have to be MMS OR email.

Quote:

If you want to have a discussion about how the iPhone needs MMS, you cannot ignore the fact that MMS is not the only way to send media from a phone.

Who claimed this?

Quote:

I don't believe this is the primary reason for the popularity of texting. If you are on Verizon or AT&T you have at tens of millions of people that you can make free calls to. Texting can be a easier and more convenient than placing a phone call. You send someone a message and they are free to answer it at their convenience.

Tell that to the 16 year old on Verizon who has a boyfriend on AT&T. In every household I know, the priority is clear. Voice minutes are for parents. Cell phones for the kids are mostly electronic leash and so the kids do everything with text.

Quote:

Most of my friends post these types of pictures on Flickr or Facebook. Posting once is a lot easier than sending to multiple numbers.

You show why sometimes using an app isn't as convenient. On my LG Dare I sent pictures to contacts, Flickr and Facebook all at the same time. It was just about adding another contact to the outgoing message. If I had to go into my facebook app, then go into my flickr app and then send an email, that would be very annoying.
  • Reply 91 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

it's too bad the Pre can't multitask like the iPhone can, I like consulting the Internet during phone calls without having to hang up and call back.

In that, it's jut like all other CDMA based phones.
  • Reply 92 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Teck, you usually do your research beforehand. In the case of SMS and MMS, they go through gateways (server) exactly like email. Each cell carrier has their own plus there are a few independent messaging services as well. All the major carriers have a cooperation and agreements to allow cross carrier messaging and short numbers. Even Apple, AOL have their own gateways. I even have my own gateway where my customers can send SMS to anyone right through my Linux box with a Nokia phone connect through USB.

And those 2 servers are exactly the same?And the content of a text message is the exact same size as an email's using the exact same message? Email and phone networks? And you're asking me to do my research? \
  • Reply 93 of 131
    Quote:

Calm down teck. I can tell you that as a teacher, most parents tell their kids to ignore that rule. It falls in the same realm of reasoning as telling a parent that when their kid gets hit, they need to be passive and go tell an adult instead of defending themselves. The rule gets made but the parents and kids circumvent it. The parents tell them to put the phone on vibrate and check it in between periods for messages. Short of installing something to stop cell signals, the schools have lost this one.

In NYC, it's no rule, it's LAW.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9926538-7.html

You get caught with a cellphone here and you're in a lot of trouble. Trust me- I know a lot a parents here.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok then why is it faster? Or appear so? What makes email drag if not server clogging?
  • Reply 95 of 131
    Quote:

Does anyone on here really have any kids or friends that have kids? There is a reason the kids all use text messaging. It is because they do not offer unlimited family plan calling minute plans but they do offer unlimited texting for family plans. When everyone in the family can text until their brains pop out for $20-$30 but unlimited calling is often still $50-99 per phone, it is easy to see which option most families tell their kids to avail themselves of in their need to stay in touch with their friends.

Also there can be a large DISadvantage to voice and email when in areas where the coverage is questionable. You get yourself down to that last bar and voice may not work nor will 3g data be available but a phone can still often send out a text/pic.

Tenobell when most of us GROW UP, it isn't about just what we can buy ourselves with our money. It is often what do we have to buy the other members of the household including those who do not earn any money as well. This is where the imperfect compromises that make up MMS and SMS make sense.

It is just about communication. Ever had little brother tattle on big sister when she folds her skirt at the waist to make it shorter or leaves the house wearing lip gloss but arrives at school wearing lip stick? Ever had the wife out shopping and send you a pic of something she is considering purchasing and wants your thoughts? Ever had a friend send you pics of what you are missing when you stay home Friday instead of going out? MMS works fine for all of these situations and they are profoundly common. At least they are in the circles in which I run.

My daughter and her friends mostly text because it's easier than talking on the phone much of the time. It has little to do with cost here.

Texting was used in Japan first in any real way because kids DID need the cheapest way of talking to their friends, and in Japan, calling was too expensive. same thing in Europe. The same thing isn't really true here because of the fact that termination fees are paid by the recipient rather than by the telco as it is in other places. Because of that, voice calls are much cheaper for those who make them. People don't really consider that people are paying on the other end when they call.
  • Reply 96 of 131
    Quote:

You're from Brooklyn and don't know cellphones aren't even allowed in public schools?

All you facts are based on your own useage and assumptions, and you generalize based on your own history. Baseless.

But except for the few school that are scanning schools, that practice isn't enforced strictly. Yes, if someone pulls a phone out in school, and a teacher sees it, then it's taken away, and the parent has to come and get it. But kids take their phones to school with them because parents insist on it, and it's not exactly like kids are going to complain about that one parental order.
  • Reply 97 of 131
    Quote:

An internet server?

What's the domain?

It does.

I don't know why people don't simply look something up when a question arises instead of acting as though it's so difficult.

The is on you.

Firstly, for being lazy.

Secondly, for being sarcastic without knowing what you are talking about, and being wrong.

• Reply 98 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My daughter and her friends mostly text because it's easier than talking on the phone much of the time. It has little to do with cost here.

Texting was used in Japan first in any real way because kids DID need the cheapest way of talking to their friends, and in Japan, calling was too expensive. same thing in Europe. The same thing isn't really true here because of the fact that termination fees are paid by the recipient rather than by the telco as it is in other places. Because of that, voice calls are much cheaper for those who make them. People don't really consider that people are paying on the other end when they call.

I honestly can't fathom how anyone can say texting is not easier and faster as a mutitasking performer than sending an email. Either while on your computer at work or washing dishes at home- there are simply less fields to fill out. And not everyone responds to emails with the original so many times you have know way of knowing what they are talking about or responding to.
  • Reply 99 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It does.

I don't know why people don't simply look something up when a question arises instead of acting as though it's so difficult.

The is on you.

Firstly, for being lazy.

Secondly, for being sarcastic without knowing what you are talking about, and being wrong.

Well it took you long enough.

I'm not lazy- I'm just busy at work.
  • Reply 100 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No. MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone

Ah, you got there before me.

Well, maybe multiple posts will enforce his understanding.