AT&T announces time for iPhone MMS availability Friday

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And those 2 servers are exactly the same?And the content of a text message is the exact same size as an email's using the exact same message? Email and phone networks? And you're asking me to do my research? \

It goes through a server. You asked if that was true, with some skepticism, and the answer is yes, which you would have found out for yourself in 20 seconds, if you had tried.
  • Reply 102 of 131
    Quote:

I honestly can't fathom how anyone can say texting is not easier and faster as a mutitasking performer than sending an email. Either while on your computer at work or washing dishes at home- there are simply less fields to fill out. And not everyone responds to emails with the original so many times you have know way of knowing what they are talking about or responding to.

It may be a tiny bit faster, but it isn't as good.

If you don't need good, as I've already said, then use MMS. But when you do need good, you have to use e-mail.

MMS isn't useful to all phones that have it either. That's something that hasn't been resolved yet, and may never be. So as far as versatility goes, it still leaves something to be desired.

I know the same thing is true for e-mail, but it seems as though manufacturers are fixing that problem faster.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    Quote:

Well it took you long enough.

I'm not lazy- I'm just busy at work.

It takes less time to type "MMS" into Google and get the links, one up right near the top gave the answer, then it took to write your post and click on the "send" button.

Then you wouldn't have needed to spend all this time posting me, and some others about how you are so busy at work that you couldn't spare the time to do it.

Could have saved us some time too.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, you got there before me.

Well, maybe multiple posts will enforce his understanding.

Yes I read it like 4 hours ago-

Direct from Wiki-

Quote:

most carriers allow MIME encoded message to be sent to the receiver's phone number with a special domain

and exactly how is that the same as an email server, all knowing one?
  • Reply 105 of 131
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    I haven't read the whole thread. However, am I the only person that has this macabre desire to see AT&T's network come to nightmarish, crashing halt on Friday? I don't know why. Maybe I'm sick. I would just love to see people on the news, having a fit about no signal, dropped calls, no MMS, phones exploding, cell towers on fire, executives crying, etc. I'm talking complete meltdown here. All because a few thousand iPhone users sent a picture of their cats at the same time.
  • Reply 106 of 131
    Quote:

It takes less time to type "MMS" into Google and get the links, one up right near the top gave the answer, then it took to write your post and click on the "send" button.

Then you wouldn't have needed to spend all this time posting me, and some others about how you are so busy at work that you couldn't spare the time to do it.

Could have saved us some time too.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how both "servers" are exactly the same.

All your meandering all over the place is not exactly time saving.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    Quote:

It may be a tiny bit faster, but it isn't as good.

If you don't need good, as I've already said, then use MMS. But when you do need good, you have to use e-mail.

MMS isn't useful to all phones that have it either. That's something that hasn't been resolved yet, and may never be. So as far as versatility goes, it still leaves something to be desired.

I know the same thing is true for e-mail, but it seems as though manufacturers are fixing that problem faster.

So now you imply that Apple is delivering something that's mediocre at best?

God please make up your mind!
  • Reply 108 of 131
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Ah, you got there before me.

Well, maybe multiple posts will enforce his understanding.

And it looks like it isn't working
  • Reply 109 of 131
    Quote:

But except for the few school that are scanning schools, that practice isn't enforced strictly. Yes, if someone pulls a phone out in school, and a teacher sees it, then it's taken away, and the parent has to come and get it. But kids take their phones to school with them because parents insist on it, and it's not exactly like kids are going to complain about that one parental order.

A few schools??????? Make things up much?

It's enforced on the Upper East Side down in the East Village- maybe not in Corona or where ever you dwell.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And it looks like it isn't working

Apple giving us something that you both are too old to understand the use for and you both can't post a logical reason why it's popular- SPEED.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    Quote:

I'm still waiting for you to explain how both "servers" are exactly the same.

All your meandering all over the place is not exactly time saving.

OMG, are you really this obtuse? Or just trying to cover up the fact that you thought, "MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone?" (Which I guess is the same thing.)

No one said that SMTP and MMS are the same thing or that the same daemons support both. What was said was that they both use the exact same store and forward pattern of routing messages through servers.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

OMG, are you really this obtuse? Or just trying to cover up the fact that you thought, "MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone?" (Which I guess is the same thing.)

No one said that SMTP and MMS are the same thing or that the same daemons support both. What was said was that they both use the exact same store and forward pattern of routing messages through servers.

Are you that daft? I never thought nor said that- show me where? So your a mind reader now besides being misinformer? I said it's not the same as an internet server. Why are you twisting things and making them up? Show me exactly where I said that or forever be branded a liar.

LATER.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    Quote:

Apple giving us something that you both are too old to understand the use for and you both can't post a logical reason why it's popular- SPEED.

Don't try to spin this around and get away. It is about you and your inability to comprehend what you read

Quote:

Direct from Wiki-

"most carriers allow MIME encoded message to be sent to the receiver's phone number with a special domain"

Did you even try to understand what this Wikipedia quote means?!

It simply means that carriers will give their users an email with their phone number like "[email protected]". Was it so hard?!
  • Reply 114 of 131
    Quote:

Are you that daft? I never thought nor said that- show me where? So your a mind reader now besides being misinformer? I said it's not the same as an internet server. Why are you twisting things and making them up? Show me exactly where I said that or forever be branded a liar.

LATER.

Quote:

I know texting is defintely faster from my experiences and I would think MMS will be the same. At least is was with Verizon. But wouldn't it be theroretically anyway- no server to go through, etc, etc?

This will help you remember.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    Quote:

LATER.

HAHAHAHAHA! You really are a piece of work!
  • Reply 116 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This will help you remember.

That would be email server. Look you still haven't explained why its faster. I was posting a question not stating fact. Distort much?
  • Reply 117 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

And those 2 servers are exactly the same?And the content of a text message is the exact same size as an email's using the exact same message? Email and phone networks? And you're asking me to do my research? \

Yes for all practical purposes they are the same. The two servers, mail and sms, have many more things in common than they have differences. Sure if you want to be technical about it Sendmail is for mail and Kannel is for sms. They both run as daemons on a Linux box. They both send, receive, store and forward messages. What is your problem anyway? I guess expecting you to not be a jack ass is just too much of a leap.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    Quote:

Direct from Wiki-

No one said it was the same as an e-mail server, or different from one.

You denied that is used a server, and we all showed you that you were all wrong.
  • Reply 119 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I haven't read the whole thread. However, am I the only person that has this macabre desire to see AT&T's network come to nightmarish, crashing halt on Friday? I don't know why. Maybe I'm sick. I would just love to see people on the news, having a fit about no signal, dropped calls, no MMS, phones exploding, cell towers on fire, executives crying, etc. I'm talking complete meltdown here. All because a few thousand iPhone users sent a picture of their cats at the same time.

I must say, I do share this sick fantasy, especially the executives crying. I plan to send all sorts of pictures of my cat on Friday.

....if only to free me up to move to VZ!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 120 of 131
    Quote:

No one said it was the same as an e-mail server, or different from one.

You denied that is used a server, and we all showed you that you were all wrong.

I never denied anything. I posted a question- I didn't know . I was busy at work. You never showed me anything . Dream on.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why a SMS message is faster than an email if not because of their server differences. YOu have still failed to answer this question.