AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    so if u already have 3.1, its just a harmless carrier update similar to the tethering hack, right?

my wife's 3G gets screwed up (basically bricked for days) every time we do an OS update, but it's currently at 3.1
  • Reply 22 of 176
    it took about three seconds.
  • Reply 23 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imixitup View Post

not sure if it's the update to 3.1 alone or the carrier update as well

Carrier update is what you get new today. Takes literally less than a minute.
  • Reply 24 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post

Requires iPhone OS 3.1 eh? Hmmm, should I sacrifice my 3.0-based tethering, or upgrade for MMS? I'll stick with tethering and no application-genius thank you very much lol.

It DOES NOT require iPhone OS 3.1.

All you need is the hacked carrier data file you're likely already using for tethering. If you've not hacked it for MMS as well, go ahead and do that now.

And avoid 3.1 until there's a jailbreak strategy for tethering.
  • Reply 25 of 176
    I canceled my text plan and started using Beejive some time ago. How much does this matter at this point?

I suspect there will be no problems with the network because people with an iPhone have access to much better solutions and will not pay AT&T for what we have been doing for free.
  • Reply 26 of 176
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They can. Will they? Don't know. Any computer running iTunes 8.2+ and a USB dock cable is all you need. No syncing required.

Oh and I guess you need to be running OS 3.1 according to a post above.

They CANT"T or they WONT'T! I just ran into the store across the street and they told me they don't have they latest iTunes and cannot. That they can only sell me a new phone with the settings! They tried to tell me this was an Apple update and I told them no this was their own carrier update. OMG- no wonder AT&T has such low customer ratings!
  • Reply 27 of 176
    My brother just got the carrier update and MMS on his 3G, and he's running 3.0.
  • Reply 28 of 176
    I updated both mine and my wifes iPhone and received the camera icon, etc. I sent my wife's iPhone a text plus photo and her phone received " I sent you a multimedia message. You can view my message w/in the next 7 days via the web at www.viewmymessage.com/1 using MSG ID ********* Password ********."

So is this how we are going to receive photo's or videos on each other's iPhones? That sucks
  • Reply 29 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

So is this how we are going to receive photo's or videos on each other's iPhones? That sucks

no its just not fully working yet. you'll see it with the message when it works
  • Reply 30 of 176
    Quote:

I updated both mine and my wifes iPhone and received the camera icon, etc. I sent my wife's iPhone a text plus photo and her phone received " I sent you a multimedia message. You can view my message w/in the next 7 days via the web at www.viewmymessage.com/1 using MSG ID ********* Password ********."

You must not be paying for the messaging plan.
  • Reply 31 of 176
    My wife's phone has the original 200 messages included in her plan and I pay 5$ for my 200 messages, so I think we have the message plan. What gives?
  • Reply 32 of 176
    I just tried to call somebody and it looks like I'm connected on the phone yet I get no audilble ring or signal? What's up with that? I had to totally reboot my phone.
  • Reply 33 of 176
    Quote:

My wife's phone has the original 200 messages included in her plan and I pay 5$ for my 200 messages, so I think we have the message plan. What gives?

Did you reboot both phones?
  • Reply 34 of 176
    Yes and the camera icons are present. Now I am trying to send a photo from her phone to mine but am getting the try again exclamation point. ATT must be really bogged down at the moment. So still don't know why the original message when I sent a photo from my phone to hers...any thoughts?
  • Reply 35 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post

Requires iPhone OS 3.1 eh? Hmmm, should I sacrifice my 3.0-based tethering, or upgrade for MMS? I'll stick with tethering and no application-genius thank you very much lol.

Did 3.1 break tethering? I upgraded to 3.1 and my tethering still works fine. Does anyone know if the MMS updated breaks the tethering?
  • Reply 36 of 176
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    No offense to those who have been waiting breathlessly for MMS, but...

Whoop-de-f-ing DOO.

I'm struggling to grasp the earth-shattering need to watch the latest 'hey dig me now!' photo come in in real time, but to each his own. Hardly worth the churn its generated tho'.
  • Reply 37 of 176
    Quote:

If she has 200 messages included with her plan, does she have an original iPhone? The MMS functionality only works on the 3G and 3GS...
  • Reply 38 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I just tried to call somebody and it looks like I'm connected on the phone yet I get no audilble ring or signal? What's up with that? I had to totally reboot my phone.

You know that same exact thing happened to me about a week ago, but only that one time and not since.

m
  • Reply 39 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You know that same exact thing happened to me about a week ago, but only that one time and not since.

m

Very weird right? Like the kind of thing you would expect in some kind of state of emergency .
  • Reply 40 of 176
    In typical Apple fashion it just works and it works well. It blends right into the existing sms function. This is much better than emailing mm files.