AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 176
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No offense to those who have been waiting breathlessly for MMS, but...

Whoop-de-f-ing DOO.

I'm struggling to grasp the earth-shattering need to watch the latest 'hey dig me now!' photo come in in real time, but to each his own. Hardly worth the churn its generated tho'.

Another "doubter". Thanks for enlightening us.
  • Reply 42 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

In typical Apple fashion it just works and it works well. It blends right into the existing sms function. This is much better than emailing mm files.

CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN???

MEL ARE YOU LISTENING?
  • Reply 43 of 176
    Teckstud argued that the iPhone should have had MMS from day one... I disagreed. Clearly, he was right.
  • Reply 44 of 176
    Just updated my 3GS and rebooted and all is well.

Sent my first MMS (a pic) to a friend who replied back with a pic.

Time to party like it's 2002, people.
  • Reply 45 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Very weird right? Like the kind of thing you would expect in some kind of state of emergency .

When it happened to me I tried to call a few different numbers and all respond in the way you describe and I also had to reboot which immediately solved the issue.
  • Reply 46 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

If she has 200 messages included with her plan, does she have an original iPhone? The MMS functionality only works on the 3G and 3GS...

Yes hers is 3G and mine is 3GS.
  • Reply 47 of 176
    Anyone with kids in college is loving this I promise you. It is not earth shattering like penicillin was but it's pretty damn good.
  • Reply 48 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN???

MEL ARE YOU LISTENING?

who is mel?
  • Reply 49 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Yes hers is 3G and mine is 3GS.

No, the original iPhone was not 3G. It was EDGE. If she has the original iPhone, she cannot do MMS. If she has 3G she does not have 200 messages included in her plan. The 200 included messages was only on the original (EDGE) iPhone plan.

So you have 3GS, but what does she have? 3G or the original iPhone (EDGE)?
  • Reply 50 of 176
    ...sent many a pics to my kids. Nice.
  • Reply 51 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

who is mel?

why melgross of course!
  • Reply 52 of 176
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.

My bad...it is the messaging plan.
  • Reply 53 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post

Requires iPhone OS 3.1 eh? Hmmm, should I sacrifice my 3.0-based tethering, or upgrade for MMS? I'll stick with tethering and no application-genius thank you very much lol.

+1 I Have a jailbroken phone which does everything I need.
  • Reply 54 of 176
    Quote:

No, the original iPhone was not 3G. It was EDGE. If she has the original iPhone, she cannot do MMS. If she has 3G she does not have 200 messages included in her plan. The 200 included messages was only on the original (EDGE) iPhone plan.

So you have 3GS, but what does she have? 3G or the original iPhone (EDGE)?

She has 3G and 200 messages (from when we upgraded from the original iphone, the 200 included texts stayed). I had to add 200 messages for mine within our family plan because I wanted some texting capability so again she has 3G (200 texts) and I have 3GS (200 texts). Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 55 of 176
    Quote:

She has 3G and 200 messages (from when we upgraded from the original iphone, the 200 included texts stayed). I had to add 200 messages for mine within our family plan because I wanted some texting capability so again she has 3G (200 texts) and I have 3GS (200 texts). Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard of plans carrying over like that. When I upgraded my original to 3GS, I had to sign a new contract and go with the plan. Which was unlimited data and no messages included. So I had to buy a messaging plan.

If what you say is true, (that her 200 messages are included, rather than paid for separately), then maybe AT&T is treating her like she doesn't have a paid messaging plan and not sending the actual messages. I bet a call to AT&T could clear that up.
  • Reply 56 of 176
    Quote: "After months of waiting"

you misspelled "years"
  • Reply 57 of 176
    Quote:

I haven't heard of plans carrying over like that. When I upgraded my original to 3GS, I had to sign a new contract and go with the plan. Which was unlimited data and no messages included. So I had to buy a messaging plan.

If what you say is true, (that her 200 messages are included, rather than paid for separately), then maybe AT&T is treating her like she doesn't have a paid messaging plan and not sending the actual messages. I bet a call to AT&T could clear that up.

Thanks and I most likely will but I will assume ATT is really going to be busy these next few days after this activation. We text each other and other people all the time and I just checked our ATT account online and we do indeed both have 200 text messages each. I had thought sending a photo was going to be just like sending a text. Perhaps I am wrong?
  • Reply 58 of 176
    When will the brain dead stop wasting bandwidth and just RTFA!!??
  • Reply 59 of 176
    Quote:

Thanks and I most likely will but I will assume ATT is really going to be busy these next few days after this activation. We text each other and other people all the time and I just checked our ATT account online and we do indeed both have 200 text messages each. I had thought sending a photo was going to be just like sending a text. Perhaps I am wrong?

some people elsewhere on blogs have been reporting the same thing, perhaps there are some kinks they need to work out still? or server propagation? maybe the problem will resolve itself soon
  • Reply 60 of 176
    just tried sending a pic to a co-worker with an iphone and it DIDN'T go thru. she hasn't downloaded the update.

so you can only "receive" pics if you have the update as well. was. not. aware.