AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users

Comments

• Reply 121 of 176
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As an early adopter of MMS I used to send MMS to email addresses all the time until other people started getting MMS capable phone's it was the only option, why don't you try it.

Instead of entering a phone number in the 'to' field when composing an MMS enter an email address instead, use any MMS capable phone you want.

Sending an MMS to an email address usually has a better success rate than sending to a phone number, especially to oversea's recipients or those on other networks.

So of the total number of messages sent, you don't think that MMS only makes up a small percentage as compared to SMS...

...mmmkay 0_o

In the UK MMS messages are 0.7% of the SMS numbers. That is very insignificant.
  • Reply 122 of 176
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

As an early adopter of MMS I used to send MMS to email addresses all the time until other people started getting MMS capable phone's it was the only option, why don't you try it.

Instead of entering a phone number in the 'to' field when composing an MMS enter an email address instead, use any MMS capable phone you want.

Sending an MMS to an email address usually has a better success rate than sending to a phone number, especially to oversea's recipients or those on other networks.

So of the total number of messages sent, you don't think that MMS only makes up a small percentage as compared to SMS...

...mmmkay 0_o

Sending MMS to email accounts usually is required by those that are to CHEAP to pay for MMSon their phones. The whiners on here that are unhappy that Apple enabled this really need to stop and get with the program. Can't they see that Apple has given them anew feature for the iPhone that's relevant and should be a feature on any phone n the 21 st century? It's like them not wanting voicemail and requiring email instead. People get with the program. Just because you don't like it - it's not going away. Apple says it's cool now to have so embrace it nd get over it.
  • Reply 123 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    In relation to people sending videos to a TV station via MMS which was what was under discussion if you look back over the relevant replies.

A TV station does not need a phone number to receive MMS an email address serve the purpose just as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How does that negate the use of MMS VIDEO as a relevant source of information? Ans: IT DOESNT

• Reply 124 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

In the UK MMS messages are 0.7% of the SMS numbers. That is very insignificant.

Well when was the UK ever on the cutting edge of anything? You still have that queen and the rest of your royalty.
  • Reply 125 of 176
    Quote:

In relation to people sending videos to a TV station via MMS which was what was under discussion if you look back over the relevant replies.

A TV station does not need a phone number to receive MMS an email address serve the purpose just as well.

OK and? How else would they get it - burned on a disc?
  • Reply 126 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike518 View Post

No to the previous, No its not part of the data plan and no you dont have unlimited for 1500 minutes.

Here's how the plans/MMS works:

Any Standard Voice Minutes Plan (450, 900, 1350 or unlimited minutes-- or a family plan)

+$30 PDA/Smartphone/Iphone DATA plan (unlimited emails/internet/downloads)

+$5 (200 messages), $15 (1500 messages), $20 (unlimited- one phone) or $30 (unlimited family plan) for a messaging plan-- A picture/standard text both count as 1 message.. so a picture message would count the same as a text message.

You could also forgo the messaging plan and pay per message-- but the data plan is required on the iphone. For more information, pick up the little brouchure at an AT&T/Apple Store.

Sorry I stand to be corrected. I thought I was half the family plan rate or $15. It's $20
  • Reply 127 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If only there was a way that a TV station could have a cellphone attached to a computer so they could MMS video off of it instead of relying on the phone owner to copy it and email it over, thu potentially losing the story or being late with it. Oh yeah, the thing I just said.

how would you prefer it- burned on a disc?
  • Reply 128 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well, as there were some posts discussing the feasability of attaching cellphone's to computers in order for television stations to receive MMS, I thought I'd set the record straight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK and? How else would they get it - burned on a disc?

• Reply 129 of 176
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

MMS isn't popular. It's unpopular. People who like it are using the myth that it's popular to get adoption.. The numbers are known. Very small percentage.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_network.html

Mel, you should know better. That article provides no context and quotes worldwide instead of figures in places like the U.S.

This would be like me claiming the iPhone isn't popular because WORLDWIDE it sells a very small percentage of phones compared to countries where people are using $15 candybar phones while herding sheep.

A text message is 160 bytes. A MMS message can be 300k+. Even if it were 1% of total messages the data differences would be huge but the state itself provides no context. How does knowing what percentage of total messaging it represents show how it is unpopular? It is just hand waving.
  • Reply 130 of 176
    Not only is MMS unpopular now, it was never popular. It was never a must have feature. Does anyone remember when cameras first started appearing on phones. The carriers almost killed it as a useful feature by limiting the way pictures were shared. You had to pay money to upload the pictures to a website and look at them. Even so, you could not necessarily download them to your computer. Taking pictures was a chore and getting them off the phone was nearly impossible. Camera phones were useless and expensive. People were looking for phones that did not have cameras in them.

It was only then that carriers introduced MMS. It was a way that people could send those pictures to other mobile users and double pay the carrier for the privilege. The iPhone was one of the first phones with a camera that you could actually use as a camera. You could take pictures with it and sync them to your computer without hassle. Suddenly, people didn't have to be locked in by the carrier's schemes to charge for you using the pictures you took on your phone. The iPhone was freedom from MMS. MMS was never more than a half-baked money grab by the carriers to further abuse the consumer and cripple their hardware.

Apple should not have caved in to the disingenuous MMS pressure; they should have applied pressure on the industry to kill it and free people to use the technology in their phones without undo restrictions.
  • Reply 131 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macheel View Post

Anyone besides me having issues with successful MMS picture sends? Since applying the update and restarting my iPhone, I have attempted to send pix somewhere around 10 times, and only 1 of the 10 times did the pic go through successfully. I am using a 3G iPhone, but am currently residing in an Edge-only area. Perhaps that could be the problem? Although it did go through successfully once. Hopefully, AT&T can get its act together, and pronto, or there will be a lot of ticked off iPhone users, assuming that others are having similar issues.

The message will show the pic inside the chat balloon, and the Send bar will first flow quite fast from left to right across the top of the chat window, but it then grinds to a halt with about the last 1/10th of the bar left, and just stalls out indefinitely until finally, I get the red exclamation mark with the "Send Error" attached. Urrgh.

...except nothing has gone through. Getting one in ten to go would at least help in differentiating problem. I assume it's AT&T service. Guess I'll wait a day or two, and try again.
  • Reply 132 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Mel, you should know better. That article provides no context and quotes worldwide instead of figures in places like the U.S.

This would be like me claiming the iPhone isn't popular because WORLDWIDE it sells a very small percentage of phones compared to countries where people are using $15 candybar phones while herding sheep.

A text message is 160 bytes. A MMS message can be 300k+. Even if it were 1% of total messages the data differences would be huge but the state itself provides no context. How does knowing what percentage of total messaging it represents show how it is unpopular? It is just hand waving.

Thanks for that. You've finally explain what no one else here could. The speed is due in part of the size of the SMS vs email equivalent.
  • Reply 133 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Not only is MMS unpopular now, it was never popular. It was never a must have feature. Does anyone remember when cameras first started appearing on phones. The carriers almost killed it as a useful feature by limiting the way pictures were shared. You had to pay money to upload the pictures to a website and look at them. Even so, you could not necessarily download them to your computer. Taking pictures was a chore and getting them off the phone was nearly impossible. Camera phones were useless and expensive. People were looking for phones that did not have cameras in them.

It was only then that carriers introduced MMS. It was a way that people could send those pictures to other mobile users and double pay the carrier for the privilege. The iPhone was one of the first phones with a camera that you could actually use as a camera. You could take pictures with it and sync them to your computer without hassle. Suddenly, people didn't have to be locked in by the carrier's schemes to charge for you using the pictures you took on your phone. The iPhone was freedom from MMS. MMS was never more than a half-baked money grab by the carriers to further abuse the consumer and cripple their hardware.

Apple should not have caved in to the disingenuous MMS pressure; they should have applied pressure on the industry

to kill it and free people to use the technology in their phones without undo restrictions.

Apple knows what they're doing trust us. They may have made some bad hardware decisions in the past but this is only late because is was not high on the priority list as solipism has surly note for the iPhone.
  • Reply 134 of 176
    The new iPhone update has limited mass texting to 10 people!! This is the worst possible thing to do.. I'm sure it was done to counter balance the mms rollout.. So upset about this!
  • Reply 135 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davidslaton View Post

The new iPhone update has limited mass texting to 10 people!! This is the worst possible thing to do.. I'm sure it was done to counter balance the mms rollout.. So upset about this!

If you need to share a picture with more than ten people at once, you might want to look into Facebook, MobileMe, and Flicker.
  • Reply 136 of 176
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You assume MMS in the US would be significantly different than what it is worldwide. That isn't the case. The US was relatively slow to adopt SMS in comparison to the rest of the world.

Your MMS usage to iPhone sales analogy doesn't really fit, they are entirely two different situations.

The way you look at the popularity of any messaging service is to compare how much it is used in comparison to alternative messaging services. Its been proven many times that other services are more widely used and more useful than MMS. You want to rule those facts as invalid. What do you feel would be a valid measurement of messaging?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

• Reply 137 of 176
    I agree, what is really the point of sending multiple messages when you can post it once, and multiple people can see it.

Quote:

If you need to share a picture with more than ten people at once, you might want to look into Facebook, MobileMe, and Flicker.

• Reply 138 of 176
    So far to mark this momentus day. No one has sent me an MMS message. I've been asking fellow iPhone users if they know about MMS. Most don't know about it and few care.
  • Reply 139 of 176
    Quote:

This limit of 10 is for all texts, not just MMS...
  • Reply 140 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So far to mark this momentus day. No one has sent me an MMS message. I've been asking fellow iPhone users if they know about MMS. Most don't know about it and few care.

Good for you- so stop polluting the MMS thread then.