AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users

Comments

• Reply 81 of 176
    MMS finally. Wait, is this 2003? Oh. Never mind....Been there, forgot that already...
  • Reply 82 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.

While SMS are data, MMS are more so in that the actual data from the MMS is sent and stored on a server, where as SMS are generally delivered in real-time and no longer exist on the SMSC-S.
  • Reply 83 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    You have something to back up the "heavily used" claim?

From what I've seen MMS is hardly used at all and only makes up a very small percentage of SMS traffic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I don't think it's appropriate to call something that's been heavily used for the past 6 or 7 years a "passing fad."

• Reply 84 of 176
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I haven't been home yet to update, but was the video taken with the iPhone? How does the same video look when you send it via email? Does the video look just as bad on another type of phone?

Yes the video was taken with the iPhone. You have 2 choices, you can record it directly in Message App or choose anexisting video frm your camera roll. It then downgrades it to MMS quality which ou can see after you send the message. You can play it back in messaging which opens it up. It's smaller and choppy but it's viewable, like any phone has. ItsMMS quality not as nice as sending via email BUT FASTER IT IS. Pics look much better.
  • Reply 85 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

From what I've seen MMS is hardly used at all and only makes up a very small percentage of SMS traffic.

It makes up zero percent actually as an MMS is not an SMS, thus not part of SMS traffic. You would see an MMS in data traffic stats.
  • Reply 86 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If you don't use it how would you see it?
  • Reply 87 of 176
    New discovery : when viewing any pic or vid in camera roll you now have an option added for sending via MMS in addition to email.
  • Reply 88 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, MMS is so 2002. Passing fad.

Right, and so the implementation of MMS today was due to the fact that Apple thought they'd jump on the passing fad band wagon?
  • Reply 89 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

New discovery : when viewing any pic or vid in camera roll you now have an option added for sending via MMS in addition to email.

I just have to be amused at the "excitement" of a feature that's been available for about 6 or 7 years and even available for most iPhones for the last few months.
  • Reply 90 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

While SMS are data, MMS are more so in that the actual data from the MMS is sent and stored on a server, where as SMS are generally delivered in real-time and no longer exist on the SMSC-S.

I think you misunderstood what we were talking about. We weren't talking about the actual data, we were talking about the phone plans. An AT&T Data plan vs. an AT&T Messaging plan. It was confirmed that you need to buy a messaging plan to get MMS included.
  • Reply 91 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes the video was taken with the iPhone. You have 2 choices, you can record it directly in Message App or choose anexisting video frm your camera roll. It then downgrades it to MMS quality which ou can see after you send the message. You can play it back in messaging which opens it up. It's smaller and choppy but it's viewable, like any phone has. ItsMMS quality not as nice as sending via email BUT FASTER IT IS. Pics look much better.

OK, so all other things being equal, it's a quality vs. speed thing. If you want to send a pic or video and want the recipient to actually be able to make out what it is, send it via email. If you want it to get there a few seconds sooner, use MMS.
  • Reply 92 of 176
    Quote:

I think you misunderstood what we were talking about. We weren't talking about the actual data, we were talking about the phone plans. An AT&T Data plan vs. an AT&T Messaging plan. It was confirmed that you need to buy a messaging plan to get MMS included.

Ah, okay.
  • Reply 93 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imixitup View Post

not sure if it's the update to 3.1 alone or the carrier update as well

Just the carrier
  • Reply 94 of 176
    If you're still using 3.0 or 3.0.1, check out those post. I got MMS to work without 3.1

http://beefchowmein.wordpress.com/20...rading-to-3-1/
  • Reply 95 of 176
    Quote:

Time to party like it's 2002, people.

Quote:

Wow! I'm gonna partly likes it's 2003!!!! \

Quote:

MMS finally. Wait, is this 2003? Oh. Never mind....Been there, forgot that already...

I just updated my phone and sent my first MMS and I'm still, "meh". But I do have to agree that on OTHER phones, yes MMS is so 2002, 2003 or whatever. Compared to what I've seen on other phones, it looks like Apple brought MMS up to 2009.
  • Reply 96 of 176
    Quote:

I just updated my phone and sent my first MMS and I'm still, "meh". But I do have to agree that on OTHER phones, yes MMS is so 2002, 2003 or whatever. Compared to what I've seen on other phones, it looks like Apple brought MMS up to 2009.

No one used it in 2002 and no one uses it in 2009. It has never been a popular feature. Now, in the age of Facebook, Flicker, and MobileMe, there are easier and better ways to share pictures and videos with friends and the world at large. I remember when the commercials started airing for this feature. All of the use cases were silly and comedic. On a phone that can access the real internet, send and receive email, and have tons of apps providing this functionality at one's fingertips, MMS is even more of a none issue than ever before. AT&T is hoping with all their might that people will start using this, otherwise, useless technology and buy more text minutes.
  • Reply 97 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

No one used it in 2002 and no one uses it in 2009. It has never been a popular feature.

Well, a lot of folks on here will vehemently disagree with you.

Like I said, "meh" to MMS in general, but I am glad to see at least that Apple made it as seamless and intuitive as SMS.....which I do use a lot.
  • Reply 98 of 176
    Quote:

OK, so all other things being equal, it's a quality vs. speed thing. If you want to send a pic or video and want the recipient to actually be able to make out what it is, send it via email. If you want it to get there a few seconds sooner, use MMS.

Not quite- piture quality appears nearly the same. Video not so but it doesn't matter due to speed of MMS
  • Reply 99 of 176
    So does the carrier settings file also get updated on 2G iPhones?!
  • Reply 100 of 176
    Quote:

I haven't heard of plans carrying over like that.

Mine did as well.