Apple plans Mighty Mouse makeover

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Last I checked, Logitech does well selling Mice to 95% of the computing world...who use PCs.

Yep, and most of them are utter crap, just like 95% of the PC world's keyboards, monitors... The days of quality peripherals and accessories have all but disappeared.
  • Reply 62 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Yep, and most of them are utter crap, just like 95% of the PC world's keyboards, monitors... The days of quality peripherals and accessories have all but disappeared.

I like the Logitech mouse that came with my S530 keyboard. It's a battery hog, though, and after a couple of years the left switch seem to stick (and you can't take it apart), but it's super-functional, and ergonomically a very well-designed thing. I especially like the scroll wheel that scrolls horizontally as well as vertically, and clicks down to open Exposé.
  • Reply 63 of 164
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    One thing I hate about the mighty mouse is how you can't press the right and left mouse buttons together and it's kind of random whether you get a right click or not. I went back to using a thoroughly old discarded Sun mouse and my trackpad pretty quickly.
  • Reply 64 of 164
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Alcohol on some toilet paper.

put the toilet paper on a hard table

and rool the ball on it really fast

all the dirt will come out of the ball

p.s use a lot of alcohol

The toilet paper is a bad idea. If you use toilet paper, you're probably having to do this cleaning very frequently as it will be adding almost as much junk into the ball as it takes away. That's why you're having to use so much alcohol as well.

Mighty Mouse's ball is the same as any other mouse ball (except you can't take it out of the socket), so while you clean it as above, you have to use lint-free cloths or tissues.

This is the big flaw in the Mighty Mouse's cleaning instructions in that almost no one has such tissues laying around. Every decent computer repair shop or tech office will have boxes of such tissues. Steve Jobs probably has a box of them on every coffee table and desktop in his house. The average person doesn't have such things handy though and isn't likely to go out and buy a box just for their mouse cleaning activities.
  • Reply 65 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

One thing I hate about the mighty mouse is how you can't press the right and left mouse buttons together and it's kind of random whether you get a right click or not. I went back to using a thoroughly old discarded Sun mouse and my trackpad pretty quickly.

One thing I hate is the Might Mouse

Apple make a number of great products, but the Might Mouse is a piece of junk that looks like it was designed by aliens, from the past.
  • Reply 66 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JS29 View Post

After getting a 13" MacBookPro for the wife a few weeks ago, I have really come to like the multitouch pad. I'd be happy with a similar stand alone multitouch pad for our iMac. I understand that many still love their mice, but it would be nice to have a choice of input devices.

Check out the new WACOM Bamboo Pen & Touch graphics tablet. It looks damn near perfect.

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

I'll be replacing an old WACOM Graphire 2 with one... but I can't replace the PURPLE.
  • Reply 67 of 164
    The Mighty Mouse is great, until it inevitably gives you trouble "early in its life". You then realize it's not actually great. It is in fact very badly designed. It's too small for the hand, it's the wrong shape, it's in no way ergonomic, and it fails to even be useable for simple scrolling.

The best mouse on the market today is the MX Revolution. While it doesn't exactly look like it was made by Apple, it functions 10 times better than any Apple mouse. It's very reliable, study, comfortable and way more efficient in use too. I'm personally embarrassed they are taking so long to address this "issue". It's hated by most people who've used it for long enough. The only people who like it are love-blind fanboys, or someone who didn't use the thing for long enough for it to fail, which it will.
  • Reply 68 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As I have said before, picking a mouse is like buying a pair of gloves or even mitts. A special glove for golfing, playing baseball, hockey, or even for protection from the weather or work, it is a matter of function and fit.

Whatever Apple introduces, it will never suit everyone. Although millions are more than satisfied with the mouse that came with their pc, there are those that immediately go back to the one they are used to or search for a 'new' replacement.

Mac users are by nature much more selective. We CHOOSE a Macintosh. We won't accept whatever is shoved into our faces, or elsewhere. And, yes since the mouse is such a major component, it's important that it be "just right".

Me, I hate mice and prefer a trackball and WACOM tablet combo. Almost everyone I know freaks out when they try to use my trackball (Kensington Expert Mouse). The scroll wheel is brilliant. Trakball technique is extremely simple (and better ergonomically): Rest index and middle fingers on ball, apply small amount of pressure, and point. Click with thumb. Very simple, with no gripping or grabbing. It's a hand-eye-coordination thing, I guess.

The tablet can elicit a similar reaction. BUt it's even simpler to use and the pen allows for extreme accuracy.

My response: "I learned to draw with a pencil, not a bar of soap."
  • Reply 69 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The tablet can elicit a similar reaction. BUt it's even simpler to use and the pen allows for extreme accuracy.

That's funny.
  • Reply 70 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The puck mouse was great... but only if you held it delicately with two fingers and shove it lightly around. Maybe I'm the only one on the planet who liked it.

Nope, theres two of us

I think it would be great if apple, 25 years on could kill the mouse altogether just sensing hand gestures in thin air, or eyeball movements, head movements, brain patterns, or similar.

I have mucked about with eyeball and head sensors, and i dont like them. In reality hand gestures is the only method above that has legs (in near term)
  • Reply 71 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As I have said before, picking a mouse is like buying a pair of gloves or even mitts. A special glove for golfing, playing baseball, hockey, or even for protection from the weather or work, it is a matter of function and fit.

Whatever Apple introduces, it will never suit everyone. Although millions are more than satisfied with the mouse that came with their pc, there are those that immediately go back to the one they are used to or search for a 'new' replacement.

Mac users are by nature much more selective. We CHOOSE a Macintosh. We won't accept whatever is shoved into our faces, or elsewhere. And, yes since the mouse is such a major component, it's important that it be "just right". It's good that there are myriad input devices to choose from. In fact, for every desktop Mac I ever had, I NEVER used the stock mouse and sold them all.

Me, I hate mice and prefer a trackball and WACOM tablet combo. Almost everyone I know freaks out when they try to use my trackball (Kensington Expert Mouse). The scroll wheel is brilliant. Trackball technique is extremely simple (and better ergonomically): Rest index and middle fingers on ball, apply small amount of pressure, and point. Click with thumb. Very simple, with no gripping or grabbing. It's a hand-eye-coordination thing, I guess.

The tablet can elicit a similar reaction. BUT it's even simpler to use and the pen allows for extreme accuracy.

• Reply 72 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Nope, theres two of us

There's two of you, but not many more. That mouse was another disaster. I don't like the think different catch phrase myself - I prefer the motto "think for yourself".
  • Reply 73 of 164
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I have to agree with you. I would rather have a new keyboard with a pad built in or standalone bad than I would a new mouse.

Maybe this will be the first desktop Mac to ship without a mouse? i.e. a keyboard with a built in multitouch.
  • Reply 74 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The history of the mouse is very interesting and well covered here.

Unfortunately it has been a long time since Apple has shipped a useful mouse. As someone else mentioned it appears that Apples goal is to keep Logitech in business. We should not discount Apples failures when they try to innovate. It is sad that many are so vocal about other Mac defects but openly accept the need to buy a mouse for a new Mac.

Apple really should be more responsive when consumers reject it's innovation. The current mouse should have been replaced long ago. I worry that this next attempt to innovate won't be any better than the rest. Sometimes it just isn't possible to take a concept any further after a certain arraingement becomes accepted. Sort of like sockets and ratchets or Hobart mixers for cooks.

I don't think Apple cares that much if customers hate their mice or not. It's one of the few areas where form IS trumping function, but I see the point. There is a reason for the single-button mouse (yes, the MM has 2) as the entire Mac OS over it's entire history (I'm a user since 1985, BTW) has always revolved around not NEEDING two mouse buttons. 2 buttons are confusing for novices, who prefer one.

Clearly, when we complain about other things enough, Apple will fix them. MacBook FireWire, lack of FireWire 800 in first MacBook Pro, lack of anti-glare screen for 15" MacBook Pro, etc..

So, why complain? Just go out and buy a mouse you like?
  • Reply 75 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

nope. one big a** button. and multitouch gestures.

seriously folks, what if the future of the mouse is in fact the glass trackpad.

That would be fantasic.

I hope it has at least four buttons so you could set macros to mouse-clicks. I would rather play games on my MBP than my Mini, strictly because of the arrow keys and trackpad. If we could get a trackpad USB with between four and six buttons, that would greatly improve my relationship with my Mini. I have a 5-button scroll wheel MS mouse on the mini now, which is pretty good, but not as nice as the trackpad.

I say 6 buttons because I would like to see right/left click, as well as arrow keys, or macro the other keys to be certain keyboard functions. Gestures are spectacular, but button clicks could make it the best thing ever.
  • Reply 76 of 164
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Hopefully they will wipe Steve Jobs' fingerprints off before shipping as greasy finger marks would not be a very compelling consumer experience.

They will be embedded into the plastic.

This way it's not super smooth plastic, give you something to grip onto and it'll be like the original Macs with the signatures inside the case.
  • Reply 77 of 164
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

I don't understand why Apple cannot get the scroll ball to work properly to be honest. I think the idea really is very good just badly implemented.

I would have to chalk this one up to pride. For those with talent, it is very hard to admit mistakes.
  • Reply 78 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

How many here are disappointed with track pads on PC laptops? In my case it is the Dell supplied at work vs my MBP at home.

Dave

Nope, not disappointed at all. My Samsung's trackpad and the glass trackpad on my sister's acer both work perfectly well. Dells are low quality, so don't expect much. Especially in coroporate environments where budget is often the deciding factor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

No. Logitech is a good brand of mouse. There are plenty of great quality products out there for PCs, you just have to browse a few reviews and read comments.

The problem - as always with Apple - is lack of choice. Too much of a control freak to allow many developers or support many ideas, and yet now it's growing more than ever, it's going to have massive difficulties keeping full control over everything. I predict there will just be more problems. The approval, presentation and pricing of apps is very flawed, because Apple has never worked closely enough with third parties before. And because there is so much focus on things like iphones and ipods at the moment, other important products get neglected.
  • Reply 79 of 164
    Quote:

I don't think Apple cares that much if customers hate their mice or not.

Because they include them with their big hardware anyway. And the times they are bought, the customer buys one and that's it (most of the time). They don't buy and buy and buy like with apps and itunes. There's limited profit there.
  • Reply 80 of 164
    Quote:

Mac users are by nature much more selective. We CHOOSE a Macintosh. We won't accept whatever is shoved into our faces, or elsewhere. And, yes since the mouse is such a major component, it's important that it be "just right".

Apple could spend millions on developing the perfect mouse. And as demonstrated here and virtually everywhere, there is no such thing as, "just right."

Glove, hats and shoes are the most difficult to buy. Too many variables. Too many functions. Too many sizes to choose from. Same for mice.

And as the adage goes, 'the more choices one has, the longer it takes to make a decision.'

As I have said before, I can walk into any computer lab or clients offices, invariably I won't find two users with the same mouse. And now, I have clients that are telling there employees and even teachers to keep your mouse to yourself because of the flu issues.

In the near thirty years on Mac, I can't remember the last time I every picked up and felt comfortable using a client's/colleague's/student's/friend's mouse. And they have expressed the same as well.

Like my car, boat, entertainment system or sports equipment, there are many things and accessories that just fit/work/look better than offered from the original manufacturer.

For one thing, Logitech, MacAlly, Microsoft, etc., make some great mice. Thank heavens they do because they haven't made a great computer or OS to shove it into ours faces.