Apple plans Mighty Mouse makeover

Comments

• Reply 141 of 164
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The FCC isn't concerned about looks only radio waves and shit.

That's quite the mandate. I imagine there's an interesting story as to how the areas of responsibility were originally divvied up.
  • Reply 142 of 164
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Count my vote as being very happy with the Mighty Mouse. About once a year I need to clean the scroll ball with a rag and some screen cleaning fluid, but it only takes a moment. Otherwise the scroll ball works just fine. I find it very comfortable and effective to use and do so constantly. I find the left, right, & center buttons and the pinch button very convenient and effective as well. It functions so naturally that I get frustrated when I have to use my PC at work with a regular PC three button scroll wheel mouse - it feels like something is missing. Sorry others are having troubles, but the Mighty Mouse has been great for me.

I do have the wired version though - don't know if that would make a difference.
  • Reply 143 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

OMFG finally. The current apple mouse is inaccurate and shaky you look like you have parkinson's.

My Mighty Mouse is extremely steady and precise and very responsive. Much better than the mouse on my Dell at work. Maybe you have a bad mouse or a bad mouse pad? (I did find that my first mouse pad was not too good with the Mighty Mouse.)
  • Reply 144 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

(Specific issues are: (1) right-click very difficult to make work reliably, (2) the MM side buttons are a disaster for me, because they are right where I want to hold and pick up the mouse to move it when it gets to edge of table/pad space, thus inadvertently activating the various expose etc. -- so I disable the side buttons.)

Right click works just fine for me on the Mighty Mouse. The side click buttons for expose work just fine too. That's where I usually rest my fingers and pick up the mouse and they never activate unless I want them too. I find it very handy. I will say that when I've tried my mother's & brother's computers the side buttons are overly sensitive and annoying though. They have emacs, I have an imac G5 - I wonder if it could be different on different macs, or maybe just some Mighty Mice are made bad?

As for those posting about difficulties to use left handed, just go to the settings panel and switch the functions of the left & right buttons.
  • Reply 146 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A mouse is better than this.
  • Reply 147 of 164
    Quote:

Should the new mouse arrive alongside revamped iMacs, it's also likely to drop the white plastic finish it formerly used to match previous Mac models. Informed speculation would suggest the new hardware could sport an aluminum appearance...

If Apple doesn't re-release the white iMacs, I won't be buying. An aluminum mouse? YUK! That would look horrible, not to mention feel awful in your hand. Hard, cold metal is not appealing when you have to touch it all day long. I predict another mouse failure for Apple if they really go in this direction.

I don't know why Apple insists on making our computers look like crappy kitchen appliances. Bring back the WHITE iMacs! They are classic, and white goes with everything.
  • Reply 148 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

(Specific issues are: (1) right-click very difficult to make work reliably, (2) the MM side buttons are a disaster for me, because they are right where I want to hold and pick up the mouse to move it when it gets to edge of table/pad space, thus inadvertently activating the various expose etc. -- so I disable the side buttons.)

I hope they have tested with real humans who have had experience with a wide range of computers and mice...

You left one item out of your list:

-- There's NO way to tell that a second button/right-click function exists for non-Mac users in a computer lab setting. Our campus has over 700 Macs in our computer labs, and ~70% of our students use Windows and have NO knowledge of the "Mighty Mouse" at all...how are they to know that they can right-click? In one lab, we had to put little signs on each Mac with right-click instructions ("lift your left finger up and click only with the right..."), and you should have heard the jeering from the Windows folks -- the "so easy to use" Macs need a sign to tell people how to use the mouse.

So until Apple comes into the 1990s and makes an actual physical 2nd button on their mice, I've been removing the not-so-Mighty Mouse and replacing them with real 2-button, working scrollwheel mice...from Dell (we have hundreds of spares lying around, luckily).
  • Reply 149 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nostromo1965 View Post

You left one item out of your list:

-- There's NO way to tell that a second button/right-click function exists for non-Mac users in a computer lab setting. Our campus has over 700 Macs in our computer labs, and ~70% of our students use Windows and have NO knowledge of the "Mighty Mouse" at all...how are they to know that they can right-click? In one lab, we had to put little signs on each Mac with right-click instructions ("lift your left finger up and click only with the right..."), and you should have heard the jeering from the Windows folks -- the "so easy to use" Macs need a sign to tell people how to use the mouse.

So until Apple comes into the 1990s and makes an actual physical 2nd button on their mice, I've been removing the not-so-Mighty Mouse and replacing them with real 2-button, working scrollwheel mice...from Dell (we have hundreds of spares lying around, luckily).

Sometimes the truth isn't pretty. Thanks.
  • Reply 150 of 164
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's quite the mandate. I imagine there's an interesting story as to how the areas of responsibility were originally divvied up.

Well, the radio waves are for the FCC, but the other stuff is actually the responsibility of the EPA, which regulates all kinds of shit.
  • Reply 151 of 164
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nostromo1965 View Post

-- There's NO way to tell that a second button/right-click function exists for non-Mac users in a computer lab setting.

There are no Mac programs that need the right mouse button, so I don't know why you're going to such pains to tell people about it. Anything that is on the right mouse button is also in either the "gear" menu or ctrl-click.
  • Reply 152 of 164
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

A mouse is better than this.

Really?

DO you need a mouse with your laptop?

No carpal tunnel with this.
  • Reply 153 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really?

Yes.

Quote:

Do you need a mouse with your laptop?

No.
  • Reply 154 of 164
    Quote:

While this is a great start, it doesn't state that it provides all the functionality of the MBP touchpad, i.e. gestures. I'd love to have a touchpad I could use with my Mac Pro that has the exact same functionality as the MBP touchpad. The current Mighty Mouse is a step up from the single button pro model of before, but the trackball needs to go. So happy to see that Apple is redesigning the MM. I'll be buying one when they are released.
  • Reply 155 of 164
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, the radio waves are for the FCC, but the other stuff is actually the responsibility of the EPA, which regulates all kinds of shit.

Damn, you're beating me to making the jokes. Well done... Not that I've been very funny lately anyway.
  • Reply 156 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There are no Mac programs that need the right mouse button, so I don't know why you're going to such pains to tell people about it. Anything that is on the right mouse button is also in either the "gear" menu or ctrl-click.

I think the more keyboard shortcuts the mouse eliminates, the better. I've been trying to get by with OSX, but it just requires far too many keyboard shortcuts for everyday use to be practical.
  • Reply 157 of 164
    And Jobs and Ives manage design and shit.
  • Reply 158 of 164
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Holy crap if this is really the new mouse I am gonna stay in tent all night to get it. The touch scroll ball idea is pure genius and I would love for this to be true.
  • Reply 159 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Holy crap if this is really the new mouse I am gonna stay in tent all night to get it. The touch scroll ball idea is pure genius and I would love for this to be true.

I just made up that design. I wouldn't say I'm a genius, but thank you.

I actually created my first touch scroll area mockup about two years ago, then someone pointed out Apple had a similar patent. It's funny they patented it about five years ago, perhaps 4, and still we have to deal with the crap they give us.
  • Reply 160 of 164
    when is this new mouse and keyboard supposed to see the light of day?