Microsoft's SideKick/Pink problems blamed on dogfooding and sabotage

Comments

• Reply 41 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey what does this ignore button d...

It keeps your head in the sand and still lets you drink the Kool Aid.

Can the Apple Sheep now be called Apple Ostrich because if you don't acknowledge a problem it doesn't exist?
  • Reply 42 of 158
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    That's the ticket!
  • Reply 43 of 158
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    I can totally see how a problem where all user's phone data is permanently lost forever, is just as bad as a very rare problem where some people lose local data that they probably have a backup of anyway . . . I have yet to talk to anyone who has had their data disappear from this guest account problem.
  • Reply 44 of 158
    It seems to me that this might have been avoided had Microsoft been broken up by the court when they were prosecuted for monopoly abuses. Their whole culture is defined by holding on to and expanding upon their OS dominance. I don't see a good future unless they voluntarily break up the corporation into meaningful, independent parts.
  • Reply 45 of 158
    I blame it on the Pink Jinx; i.e. any project named or involving "Pink" turns into utter disaster.

Apple 1994, MS 2009, etc.

Oh and speaking of jinxes: Ballmer has been kinda quiet on all of this, no?
  • Reply 46 of 158
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

While I do believe every word dealing with the internal structures and disabilities at MS, I consider the sabotage story to be extremely speculative.

I agree. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's Razor)
  • Reply 47 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Apple's Snow Leopard Data Loss.

Say again?!

Angry much?
  • Reply 48 of 158
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

That is the reason this story is significant. Up until now, IT managers have always proceeded under the assumption that choosing a Microsoft solution is unquestionably a safe practice. From now on it may not be so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I blame it on the Pink Jinx; i.e. any project named or involving "Pink" turns into utter disaster.

Apple 1994, MS 2009, etc.

Oh and speaking of jinxes: Ballmer has been kinda quiet on all of this, no?

What pink item did apple have in 1994?
  • Reply 49 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Say again?!

Angry much?

Thanks for asking. No I'm not... You?
  • Reply 50 of 158
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Not a very good year for Microsoft?

Xbox RROD...

Zune Meltdown Day...

IIS Market Share...

Windows Mobile...

Vista...

IE...

Netbooks...

Bing...

SilverLight...

Good summary by the way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oh what tangled webs we weave.

Indeed.
  • Reply 51 of 158
    kfurykfury Posts: 14member
    The logic that a lack of detailed explanation from Microsoft implies sabotage is flawed by the assertion that T-Mobile will likely sue Microsoft for failure to meet its SLA. If there's an expected lawsuit Microsoft isn't about to make any public statements about how the trouble came about, regardless of how much they know or how nefarious or innocuous it is.
  • Reply 52 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taligent
  • Reply 53 of 158
    When T-Mobile customers called to complain that their data was missing, the customer service reps gave them that standard advice for this situation which is to remove their batteries to fully reset their Sidekicks and then re-sync with their servers. This, of course, was the worst possible thing to do and now all these customers have probably lost their contacts and other data forever.
  • Reply 54 of 158
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Apple's Pink project. Never got off the ground: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taligent

(Ha sippincider beat me to it!)

Oooo: more here: http://lowendmac.com/orchard/05/1026.html
  • Reply 55 of 158
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue_sky View Post

This is just flat out a wrong use of the term dogfooding. Dogfooding means using your own code to do what it's designed to do, as opposed to relying on external users. ... It has nothing to do with eradicating acquired technology.

If it means replacing Oracle or Sun servers with Microsoft products, then they would in fact be eating their own dogfood in that regard. That is, using their own products to do what they're designed to do and to fulfill those functions, and not use someone else's.

It's part of the reason Balmer goes crazy whenever he see's a MS employee with an iPhone...
  • Reply 56 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Apple's Pink project. Never got off the ground: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taligent

Good point. For better or worse, Apple's Pink didn't get off the ground. Certainly better than a worst-case disaster with all of their customers' data.....

IIRC, way back in the old "Apple Human Interface Guidelines", they gave some how-not-to-do-it example, with the comment "By now, the user is probably wondering why they bother with technology". Oh how the Sidekick users must be relating to this!
  • Reply 57 of 158
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

An act of sabotage "would explain why neither party is releasing any more details: for legal reasons dealing with the ongoing investigation to find the culprit(s)," one of the sources said. Due to the way SideKick clients interact with the service, any normal failure should have resulted in only a brief outage until a replacement server could be brought up.

The very long outage of core functionality, followed by an incapacity to recover any data, both point to the possibility that "someone with access to the servers at the datacenter must have inserted a time bomb to wipe out not just all of the data, but also all of the backup tapes, and finally, I suspect, reformatting the server hard drives so that the service itself could not be restarted with a simple reboot (and to erase any traces of the time bomb itself)."

how do you wipe backup tapes? i manage a netbackup installation and we always send tapes offsite. it's almost impossible to wipe the tapes inside the robot.

if someone destroyed the catalog all you have to do is set up a new netbackup server and import the tapes and restore. no big deal
  • Reply 58 of 158
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Unlike a more conventional incident involving a suspicious failure, the source said, "the Microsoft IT forensic investigators who would normally be called upon to investigate this sort of thing are all trained on Windows servers and have no clue of any of the details of the Sidekick service.

"If this was an ordinary sort of failure, the service would have come back within a day, so once again, all signs point to sabotage. If they erased the server hard drives, they would have to reinstall the OS on each affected server, then reload all of the server-side software and start everything back up, and who knows how many people are remaining at Danger who even know how to do all of that? Once again, there is no-one on the Microsoft side who is going to know how to do any of this.

i bet microsoft has plenty of people who know ^nix. or they could just hire consultants. i've installed solaris and linux servers and installed netbackup just by reading the instructions. it's not that hard to run a script
  • Reply 59 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

...Apple's F up (I did listen moderator) is as bad as Microsoft's Side Kick F up...

I will take my right to disagree here...

No way the Snow Leopard guest account issue ranks as a fiasco like the Microsoft/Danger toe cheese.

Lets take a poll...

"Everyone who allow use of the guest account on their Mac raise their hands... one, two, ... ten.. okay now all those who don't have the guest account activated... fifty, one hundred, fifty thousand... okay i'm tired of counting."

"Next... everyone who uses something other than the Danger(MS) cloud for backing up sidekick data... oh c'mon, don't be shy. YOU ALL HAVE YOUR DATA ONLY ON THE (MS) CLOUD?"

Again, i think you stretched that one a little further than even the writer of this article did.

Now what will turn my argument on it's head would be MS getting that data magically back in place. (which for the sake of all the Sidekick users I hope happens.)

• Reply 60 of 158
    LOL. I see on the T-Mobile forums that they're now proposing to give all affected customers a $100 gift card to offset their loss.

Cripes, Apple gave that to existing iPhone customers when they dropped the price! T-Mobile and Danger/MS have got to be feeling very stabby towards each other at the moment.

I really feel empathy for any/all Sidekick users out there, who are totally screwed over through no fault of their own. You can't back up most of the data from the phone to a SIM, and unless you use a third-party utility and run Windows, you have no options.