Microsoft's SideKick/Pink problems blamed on dogfooding and sabotage

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWH View Post

Hi Dan, really appreciate the work you do on these stories.

Had to reference your article in a recent complaint I made to the BBC about persistent anti-Apple / pro-MS bias. The lead tech story this afternoon on the Beeb's news website is about the Snow Leopard guest user data loss ("Users of the new Apple operating system Snow Leopard are experiencing massive data losses when logging into their machines under a guest account..."). Strangely enough, a search for "sidekick" on the Beeb only gives this story and one other, where the Sidekick outage is described as a "glitch".

Anyone with time on their hands please complain to the Beeb - it's not the first time they've exaggerated Apple's failings whilst hiding MS's heinous crimes...

I think Apple legal might want to have a word about this. The first sentence of the BBC piece should read 'Users of the new Apple operating system Snow Leopard are allegedly experiencing massive data losses when logging into their machines under a guest account...'

After all, this is a potentially commercially damaging allegation from a few anonymous internet posters, the BBC should not be reporting it as 'fact' until such time as it is proved to be one.
  • Reply 122 of 158
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Ballmer is a great saleman, thats why he still at MS, just look at this video

You forgot his star turn in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21VUgw82ME (jump ahead to 2:15 mark)
  • Reply 123 of 158
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adamr81 View Post

From what I've observed the past couple years regarding the Sidekick and T-Mobile, Motorola is the likely candidate to take over the Sidekick brand after this Microsoft debacle. They did do a phone a couple years ago and no doubt learned a great deal about how cloud services enable real social networking applications for mobile users.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1157

However, if I had to take a guess, T-Mobile will likely just quietly put the Sidekick brand to sleep as it transitions it's user to the Android based Motorola CLIQ. Similar to the Danger Software based Sidekick devices, the CLIQ's social networking / messaging capabilities are enabled by a the MotoBLUR cloud service. However, the MotoBLUR service by itself offers very little from what I've read. Instead, it seems to aim more at aggregating or pooling together data from multiple services (SMS, MMS, IMAP, POP, Exchange, GMail, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Picasa, Photobucke, etc.) into a unified layout. This seems like it would be a much better evolution of what the original Sidekick cloud service attempted in order to meet today's social networking needs.

http://www.motorola.com/motoblur

likely? quietly? the Sidekick and its brand has just crashed, burned, and exploded smack dab in the middle of town. it's soooo dead folks. there will never be another one sold. Look for TMobile to go full-tilt Android ASAP as they scramble to hang on to those one million customers.

PS: for a visual, check out the great graphic here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11306
  • Reply 124 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

lemme guess ... "dogfooding" will now join "keynote" and "flagship" as the most incorrectly used and overused terms in appleinsider articles.

No, Apple will use the term "dogfooding" in their "I'm a Mac" commercial where "PC" comes out with a puppy on a leash, looking up at "PC" with those big puppy dog eyes, while "PC" munches on a handful of dried dog food...

Leave it to those at MS to come up with "dogfooding".. but considering it's coming from the company that gave us "squirting", what can else can be expected?!
  • Reply 125 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

No, Apple will use the term "dogfooding" in their "I'm a Mac" commercial where "PC" comes out with a puppy on a leash, looking up at "PC" with those big puppy dog eyes, while "PC" munches on a handful of dried dog food...

Leave it to those at MS to come up with "dogfooding".. but considering it's coming from the company that gave us "squirting", what can else can be expected?!

i would LOVE it if apple chose this ms messup for their new i'm a mac ad, comparing mobileme to this disaster
  • Reply 126 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i would LOVE it if apple chose this ms messup for their new i'm a mac ad, comparing mobileme to this disaster

MobileMe is its own special brand of disaster. Not anywhere near the scale of the Sidekick fiasco, but not something the existence of which Apple should be admitting, let alone advertising.
  • Reply 127 of 158
    Sounds like perfect timing for Apple to swoop in and "rescue" T-Mobile.
  • Reply 128 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I blame it on the Pink Jinx; i.e. any project named or involving "Pink" turns into utter disaster.

Apple 1994, MS 2009, etc.

Oh and speaking of jinxes: Ballmer has been kinda quiet on all of this, no?

But the Invisible Pink Unicorn is the epitome of success
  • Reply 129 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

I agree. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's Razor)

That phrase is now most often used by the malicious to excuse their actions. And then some: 'it was a mistake so give us more money so that we can fix it'.

Better advice, never say never, follow the evidence.
  • Reply 130 of 158
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

It keeps your head in the sand and still lets you drink the Kool Aid.

Can the Apple Sheep now be called Apple Ostrich because if you don't acknowledge a problem it doesn't exist?

Troll much?
  • Reply 131 of 158
    Wow, this article is poorly written...

The term dogfooding means "to eat your own dog food" which means that you use what you build. For example, all employees at MS had to install Windows 7 betas on their work machines so Microsoft could internally test to see if what they built is working as expected in a real-world scenerio. This is what dogfooding is.

I should know... I worked at Microsoft in Redmond from 2001-2004 in the Services for Macintosh (building 40) and Windows Media Center (building 50) divisions.

Ethan
  • Reply 132 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

Wow, this article is poorly written...

The term dogfooding means "to eat your own dog food" which means that you use what you build. For example, all employees at MS had to install Windows 7 betas on their work machines so Microsoft could internally test to see if what they built is working as expected in a real-world scenerio. This is what dogfooding is.

I should know... I worked at Microsoft in Redmond from 2001-2004 in the Services for Macintosh (building 40) and Windows Media Center (building 50) divisions.

Ethan

And the article describes a situation in which Microsoft tries to transition from someone else's dog food to their own. I don't see how that doesn't work with the accepted definition.
  • Reply 133 of 158
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

While I do believe every word dealing with the internal structures and disabilities at MS, I consider the sabotage story to be extremely speculative. There are certainly several other possible explanations, including the existence of a backup that was simply not properly created, due to sheer lack of knowledge. Even rather plain Oracle databases can be quite tricky to back up properly and people without proper education should not even attempt it. They may have simply figured that it would require months/years of manual work to fix up all the references and decided to just declare defeat instead.

I agree that the claim of sabotage is speculative.

NEVER ascribe to sabotage that which can be adequately explained by mere incompetence.
  • Reply 134 of 158
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

MobileMe is its own special brand of disaster. Not anywhere near the scale of the Sidekick fiasco, but not something the existence of which Apple should be admitting, let alone advertising.

now there is a comment packed with details to back it up!
  • Reply 135 of 158
    Forum.sidekickfail.com has recently been created as an open and neutral place sidekick customers can exchange ideas and vent without the fear of their valuable thoughts, ideas, and opinions being deleted and disrespected as T-Mobile has been doing on their forums.
  • Reply 136 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

now there is a comment packed with details to back it up!

Really? You haven't read anything about MM since its launch? (Aside from the fact that they're charging a hundred dollars ? every year, let alone ever ? for free services) Well, if you happen to like it, more power to you, I guess.
  • Reply 137 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You forgot his star turn in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21VUgw82ME (jump ahead to 2:15 mark)

I did forward to 2:15 brilliant!
  • Reply 138 of 158
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I think Apple legal might want to have a word about this. The first sentence of the BBC piece should read 'Users of the new Apple operating system Snow Leopard are allegedly experiencing massive data losses when logging into their machines under a guest account...'

Perhaps the BBC used this site as one of their references:-

Updated: Major bug in Snow Leopard deletes all user data

Source:-

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/1...-all-user-data

vs

T-Mobile and Microsoft Danger Sidekick outage, lost data

Source:-

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/1...tage-lost-data

[sarcasm]I can't find any bias.[/sarcasm]
  • Reply 139 of 158
    great article Danny.

there's absolutely no relation of course to the snow leopard bug with the ms complete meltdown.

the sheer magnitude of the data loss Microsoft caused their users and the sheer magnitude of their idiocy are astounding. had apple done such a collosal moronic melt down ALL the mainstream media fools would have crucified them. But with ms it's more like, hey we are really sorry for f. up ALL your precious data.

if they that good about retaining the data imagine how great they ll be in the way more complex task of actually safeguarding it for privacy and security.

But maybe it's there way of keeping user data secure. if it's permanently deleted it's gonna be secure.

how can ms manage to be such diehard irreprntable morons of collosal proportions, and always to the detriment of their customers, is once again completely beyond me...

balmer I got one word for you man: raid.

of course in the apology there's no word of any compensation for the customers. Classy. apple kept falling short of a few features with launch of MobileMe, which they admitted was rushed, and they kept offering extended free months of service to their customers. These guys lose ALL their clients data and all they have to say is sorry? Class acts.
  • Reply 140 of 158
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"T-Mobile is now getting blamed for something which isn't their fault at all, and a million plus customers are now seriously considering leaving for the iPhone or elsewhere. I'm also thinking that a class-action lawsuit on behalf of those users who lost all of their data (contacts, notes, emails, SMS's, tasks, calendar entries) is now quite likely, and once again T-Mobile is going to be caught in the crossfire, even though the servers were all run by Danger/Microsoft and not T-Mobile."

T-Mobile should be pounding on Apple's front door begging and pleading to get in and attempt to make a deal for the iPhone.

Give exisitng Sidekick users a great deal on the iPhone and free Mobile.Me for a year or two.