History suggests Windows 7 launch could boost Mac sales

Comments

• Reply 81 of 229
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If you take the AI spin off the article, it basically says just that. Windows introductions don't seem to effect mac sales either positively or negatively.

Pretty much. I expect Mac marketshare to drop a little over the next few quarters as consumers and businesses alike finally buy new computers after waiting out a recession and for Win7 to launch. I also expect Apple to have continued record quarters.
  • Reply 82 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think you're confusing him with yourself. Borderline personality disorder? That would explain a lot.

How about explaining and analyzing yourself rather than annoying me.
  • Reply 83 of 229
    Quote:

Yes, lower yours please.

Q: Why doesn't Apple have a $300 netbook?

A: Netbooks are extremely low margin and would also cannibalize sales of higher margin mac portables.

Q: Why doesn't Apple offer a mid range desktop?

A: The margins are thin and shrinking, and a mid range desktop would cannibalize the sales of higher margin iMacs, and Mac pros.

Q: Wouldn't offering those two products vastly increase Apples market share?

A: Probably yes, but Apples profits might not increase and could even go down.

Q: Why does Apple target Windows users?

A: Apples growth potential lies in Windows switchers obviously, but Apple doesn't want you to just switch to a mac, they want you to switch to a mac that they make can money on.

If you want to look at market share, look at market share on things like the over $1000 and other premium segments. That is what Apple is after, market share worth having. Market share worth having (by Apples standards) is market share that generates significant profits.

Ok in others words -you can't compare Apples with Oranges yet you constantly do with Sour Grapes.
  • Reply 84 of 229
    Quote:

Maybe there wont be an event, Apple doesn't have an event for every product refresh, but given the rumored changes, it seems like this may not be a mere refresh. I'd like more information too, but AI can only report on the information they have, which appears to be nothing

How did Steve Jobs finish his last keynote? it was something like: we'll see you very soon.
  • Reply 85 of 229
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

How did Steve Jobs finish his last keynote? it was something like: we'll see you very soon.

In that case, hopefully they do announce a media event soon. Although, I can't afford to buy anything right now I just like to look at the new shiny products.
  • Reply 86 of 229
    Quote:

In that case, hopefully they do announce a media event soon. Although, I can't afford to buy anything right now I just like to look at the new shiny products.

Well the Cristmas trees are up at the Home depot and it's been over a month since he made that statement. Soon is turning into later. People have begun their Xmas shopping -so what's holding them up?
  • Reply 87 of 229
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How about explaining and analyzing yourself rather than annoying me.

How about you stop responding to every comment like a wise-ass. Then, it won't be necessary to annoy you.
  • Reply 88 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you expecting something in addition to Snow Leopard?

If they are responding... It's not on the calendar. And invites should be in hand by Thursday for next week.

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=18
  • Reply 89 of 229
    I have switched from PC to Mac over 2 years ago and I am very impressed. No viruses, no long time loading apps, no hangs etc.. Yes Snow Leopard has some issues now too, but they will be fixed soon. Anyway it is far less error prone then MS (XP, Vista, even shitty story of W7). No matter what MS is trying to fix, Mac OS X will grow, and the grow is seen. Apple rules.....
  • Reply 90 of 229
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I find that Windows is a nightmare OS, but has the document/spreadsheet functionality I need.

Apple offer a better OS, but document/spreadsheet functionality is a nightmare.

None of this year's releases from Apple and Microsoft significantly changes this balance.
  • Reply 91 of 229
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

How about [t.s.] stop responding to every comment like a wise-ass. Then, it won't be necessary to annoy [t.s.].

Please don't reply to t.s. as it kind of reduces the point of putting him in my ignore list.
  • Reply 92 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well the Cristmas trees are up at the Home depot and it's been over a month since he made that statement. Soon is turning into later. People have begun their Xmas shopping -so what's holding them up?

According to CNN and MSNBC "SEASON" shopping began back in September. but people are holding off on large purchases for big sales. Retail stores have started sales early. Avg season shopping receipts were below $150 per shopper in the malls surveyed. Walmart, Sears (Kmart) and Target show lower numbers (but for a discounter, that's normal).

Although the trends this year lead more towards Comfort purchases not technology/electronics/toys. However majority respondents did indicate they will spend more than last year. Netbooks, netbooks and netbooks I'm stating will make up a large portion of electronic purchases this year... Wait till you see the sales we are hearing about!

What was the winner? Clothing, yes Clothing. Fleece I'm sure but it wasn't asked what type.

Windows 7 release is next thursday. If Apple is to release new equipment we'll probably see it release Tuesday with a bombardment of advertising the week of. This would trump the MS release or at least quiet it down while also pushing Mac's compatible with running Windows and the new Windows 7 running faster than most PC's... Same 2006 argument when the switch to intel... Testers stated the Mac was the fastest windows PC you could buy.

That's how I see it going down.
  • Reply 93 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I find that Windows is a nightmare OS, but has the document/spreadsheet functionality I need.

None of this year's releases from Apple and Microsoft significantly changes this balance.

Have you taken classes on Pages and Numbers? VTC does some nice free tutorials. You might want to look at those and see if that helps your understanding with those two apps. Once your a power user of iWork, sky's the limit.
  • Reply 94 of 229
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Yes. MS Excel for Mac is not that bad but still no where near as powerful as Excel on Windows. MS intentionally crippled Office 2008 by removing features such as VBA.
  • Reply 95 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vito_web View Post

I have switched from PC to Mac over 2 years ago and I am very impressed. No viruses, no long time loading apps, no hangs etc.. Yes Snow Leopard has some issues now too, but they will be fixed soon. Anyway it is far less error prone then MS (XP, Vista, even shitty story of W7). No matter what MS is trying to fix, Mac OS X will grow, and the grow is seen. Apple rules.....

In this day and age, there is no reason why anyone should be getting viruses, mac or otherwise. I have been using PCs all my life and have never had a virus or ever experienced loading times or hangs that would make me want to give up windows and go to a mac. a few extra seconds to load an app or a brief hang are not going to kill you.

The reason why apple's OS runs better than windows is because it is built specifically for apple's hardware. Apple has the ability to tweak and tune its software to run in complete harmony with the hardware it uses. Microsoft on the other hand has to cater to hundreds of different hardware components.
  • Reply 96 of 229
    Quote:

How about you stop responding to every comment like a wise-ass. Then, it won't be necessary to annoy you.

I don't- I can't help if you can't think different and can only think Apple. That's your problem, not mine.
  • Reply 97 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

How did Steve Jobs finish his last keynote?

Taking a swig out of an environmentaly unfriendly plastic water bottle?
  • Reply 98 of 229
    I'd think that the rise in units sold is more to do with product refreshes than Windows releases. Just as I'm sure iPhone sales spike every July. A history of product refreshes would go a way to prove this though. The market has grown bigger too.

P.S. Why do some people here talk from the perspective of wanting what's best for Apple rather than what's best for the consumer? How many shares did you buy?
  • Reply 99 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

P.S. Why do some people here talk from the perspective of wanting what's best for Apple rather than what's best for the consumer? How many shares did you buy?

Man, did you hit the nail on the head. Right on!
  • Reply 100 of 229
    Quote:

It'll likely get better next year once MS Office hits the web next year. I've stayed away from Office on the Mac, but iWork is good for what I need it for. Needs more functionality though!