Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 261 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,536member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Actually it's begiining to grow on me. Now that I see it has LED and an I7 I'll have to visit it in person. Hmmmmm.

As you know, we've got two 24" here, and there's no reflection problems.

What amazes me is how lazy some people are about this. Even matte displays have plenty of reflections. It's actually easier to control it on a glossy display indoors in your own home.
  • Reply 262 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

they also said rentals are taking a bite out of DVD sales. at 220 DVD's i stopped and sold my collection. it got to the point where i would watch most movies once a year or so. Now wife and I just rent or pay per view

It would be very interesting to find out what percentage of DVD's are purchased by the rental companies as opposed to consumers. My guess is it is quite a high percentage...
  • Reply 263 of 853
    I wonder when the new 27" Apple Studio Display with 2560x1440 resolution is going to show up?
  • Reply 264 of 853
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

It would be very interesting to find out what percentage of DVD's are purchased by the rental companies as opposed to consumers. My guess is it is quite a high percentage...

and i'm also going to start buying DVD's again. Children's DVD's like Shrek. my son is two and last weekend he sat down and watched Ice Age for the last 30 - 45 minutes. i'll probably buy them in blu-ray.

and we are in a demographic baby boom now and i doubt parents will keep renting children's DVD's
  • Reply 265 of 853
    Let's face it. Blu-ray is never going to take off. Its going to fill a small niche hear and there, but its not going to replace DVD and its not going to ever hold the next physical media format majority.

I am an uber tech nerd, I have maybe 10-15 friends who have Blu-ray players with over half of them being PS3's. All of my friends combined don't own more than 20 Blu-ray discs. All of my friends combined own more than 4,000 DVD's. The ones that do own Blu-ray discs are mainly when the format just came out and they were giving away 3-5 free discs with the purchase of a Blu-ray player.

I've owned a Blu-ray player since the first day the PS3 was released. I bought 96 PS3's on launch day for resale, but thats a whole other story. In the 3 years I've owned my blu-ray player, I have only rented a blu-ray movie once, the newest Rambo movie. I never even sent in for my 5 free movies when i bought the PS3.

Blu-ray supporters can try and hype it up anyway they want, but in the end its all just that, hype.

On a different subject, the one and only option I was hoping for besides a larger screen that the 24" is to have a SSD drive as an option. I would gladly take a 128gb SSD versus the 1tb hard drive. Heck I would even pay $100 more for the SSD option. I guess I will wait to see the tear down tutorials on the new 27" before I decide whether to upgrade my 24" iMac.
  • Reply 266 of 853
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

They also make the mac pro look like a sick joke pay $1000 more to get a weaker video card, less ram and a smaller HD.

that's why it's cheaper than a dell workstation. The professional graphics cards are a lot of money
  • Reply 267 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.

Those are sideline gripers with no money talking out the side of their necks. Apple didn't have a good 4th Quarter because of them. Apple did well because people like it as it and bought it.
  • Reply 268 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I certainly didn't expect LED backlighting AND an IPS screen on the low price models.

That surprised me, too. It sounds like IPS is on the 21” model, too, but I really want that confirmed as it sounds too good to be true. Also looking to see how the mDP input functions.

Quote:

I'm just saying that betting against B-D isn't a good idea either.

All my friends have B-D players for their wide screens, but few download because the quality is so poor.

It seems everyone I know with BRD also do downloads, and people without BRDs also do downloads. I’m not betting against Blu-ray in the living room as it’s the best consumer option for audio and video, but that is for the living room. Are you betting that Apple adds Blu-ray support and BRD options to their lineup? I think there focus on their digital download service and will not add the optical drive option at all, and may add the OS support for BR media but only after they feel they have gotten a firm hold of digital media over Blu-ray media, even though Blu-ray will be the ideal solution for your home entertainment center for many years to come.

Quote:

You're wrong about that. People don't treat video the way they do audio. I know plenty of people who are happy about MP3 and AAC, but insist on screens bigger than 50" with B-R.

That is true, but I think that the real history of the iTMS success is the convenience that brought in certain areas that made the other caveats inconsequential. I think that for video convenience will also win out with ‘good enough” viewing.
  • Reply 269 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And for a certain segment of the viewing population PQ wins out over convenience, for sure. For that matter, it wins out for me-- I don't much care for the quality of dl video. OTOH, I find myself doing a lot of casual movie viewing on Netflix Watch It Now-- if the catalogue were deeper, I would probably watch the majority of my movies that way, and reserve the big screen high quality treatment for specific films that I know to be visually compelling.

But I question how large this segment is, particularly when you consider the fact that of the movies released each year, only a handful are image intensive. Most are the kind of romantic comedies and dramas that don't require much in the way of PQ to work.

I guess the question is, how good is good enough? In the case of audio, we discovered that the answer was "not that good, actually." My suspicion is is that, even at the current semi-mediocre reproduction levels, video downloads are good enough.

I also suspect that this is a generational thing, with older, more affluent consumers opting for big screens and blu-ray, with younger people being perfectly content with downloads and laptops.

What you are actually arguing is rental vs ownership. Streaming services will naturally consume a larger portion of the rental market (especially if you are comparing streaming to a mail in rental service ala Netflix). With rental, availability is the most important factor. With ownership; cost, quality, and pride of ownership play a much greater role.

I would agree that the younger generation is probably more inclined to rent (and thus stream) while the older generation would be inclined to own (and thus buy DVDs or Blu-ray).

One very important thing to consider is that Blu-ray/streaming can and will coexist for an indefinite period of time. Eventually, I would expect streaming and downloads to win out, but that could be a long time from now (5-10+ years). Are we supposed to not use current technologies because they will eventually be replaced? CD sales may be dropping, but they've been dropping for a decade and there is still a lot of money to be made on them.
  • Reply 270 of 853
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

The streaming growing faster than Blu-Ray link is rather deceiving because Netflix streaming is free.
  • Reply 271 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

I have to seriously doubt that. I live in a smallish city, 48,000 in the city limits and 100,000 total in the county.

15 years ago we had over 75 video rental stores.

5 years ago we had about 15 video rental stores with 3 Blockbuster locations, 2 Family Video locations, and 1 Hollywood video location.

Today we have 5 video rental stores. Hollywood video went out of business, 1 Blockbuster location went out of business, another opens late and closes early and has half the movies they used to, and 1 is still halfway normal, although half the store sells movie memorabilia and posters now instead of renting movies, and the other 3 store are Family video locations. One of which is located far outside of the city in a rural community. One thing I have noticed is that the movie sections in each of the remaining stores has gotten smaller and the video game selection larger. I think rental stores are depending more and more on video games as opposed to movie rentals now.
  • Reply 272 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

The streaming growing faster than Blu-Ray link is rather deceiving because Netflix streaming is free.

Weird. They seem to charge me $8.47 a month for it. Can you link me to where it is free so I can try and get my bill reduced?
  • Reply 273 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

As you know, we've got two 24" here, and there's no reflection problems.

What amazes me is how lazy some people are about this. Even matte displays have plenty of reflections. It's actually easier to control it on a glossy display indoors in your own home.

But those 24" aren't LED- correct?
  • Reply 274 of 853
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For the home entertainment system, Blu-ray is great, but we don?t need Blu-ray optical media in computers for storage the way we needed them with CDs and DVDs. Windows has Blu-ray support in the OS so that AACS protected movies can be played and all the major vendors have Blu-ray as an option but it?s not being adopted quickly. The longer Apple waits to add support to OS X and apps, regardless of including the option for the drive, the less likely it?ll happen

The HD-DVD/Blu-ray way may have ended, but in that time digital downloads and streaming were able to get a stronghold that DVD and VHS didn?t have to contend with. The Netflix CEO has stated that streaming is increasing fast while DVD rentals are dropping and expects that streaming content will overcome optical rentals within 2 years.

With all these new appliances that allow you to rent and buy movies Apple really needs to get the next AppleTV out there before it loses the chance to be in the living room. No one has done it right, yet.

it is a pity you're wrong, the current reports are blu-ray sales are growing at a lot high rate than digital distribution.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098
  • Reply 275 of 853
    Quote:

Well your own daughter isn't lazy now is she? She owns matte- no?
  • Reply 276 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

it is a pity you're wrong, the current reports are blu-ray sales are growing at a lot high rate than digital distribution.

I've posted that twice already- they refuse to LISTEN!!!
  • Reply 277 of 853
    Quote:

Breathless stories of big gains for Blu-Ray are meaningless unless they account for a baseline. Since Blu-Ray was starting from pretty much nothing as of recently, it's not that impressive to cite percentage gains in shipments.

Meanwhile, the trend lines are clear: streaming and downloads are growing rapidly, while optical media are stagnant. Blu-Rays gains sound impressive until you note that the $500 million in Blu-Ray sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall home video market, with even direct view and downloads taking in $1.4 billion.

Downloads are not growing rapidly, they are so small you can barely see them on the reports
  • Reply 278 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I've posted that twice already- they refuse to LISTEN!!!

Yeah, just noticed, wasn't going to wade through seven pages of "blu-ray sucks", it is amazing how many people on this site say it is worth spending extra on a mac, but they won't accept the price of blu-ray even with it being so much better than anything else available
  • Reply 279 of 853
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And Mac sales are growing at a faster rate than PCs. It follows that Macs will inevitably come to dominate the computer market.
  • Reply 280 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

And Mac sales are growing at a faster rate than PCs. It follows that Macs will inevitably come to dominate the computer market.

Clearly Apple should stop selling macs because they will never dominate the computer market.