Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 281 of 853
    Well, I made the switch a couple of weeks ago - I went from PC to Mac. I was so sick of PCs and security updates etc. So I bought a shiny new 24" iMac and have enjoyed every minute of using it. I know Apple announced these new iMacs today and there are pros and cons to each of them (glossy screen this, no blu-ray that, only four USB, etc.) but I don't care. I just love having a Mac. You'll never be able to please all the people all the time, and I am going to resist saying 'I wish I had waited', because in truth I'm glad I didn't (as I would have only been able to afford the 21.5"), I am glad I got a Mac when I did, in fact I am just glad I got a Mac!
  • Reply 282 of 853
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

It doesn't stand a chance to go mainstream in the living room when you can get 1080p from Dish or Direct TV.

In this economy, blue jeans before blu-ray, but it still has a future as an archival media.

Except if you don't live in the US...
  • Reply 283 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

it is a pity you're wrong, the current reports are blu-ray sales are growing at a lot high rate than digital distribution.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

Enough of that lame link! Is that article taking into consideration on-demand services from cable/sat companies and, most importantly, the ad supported streaming that makes up the bulk of the streaming these days. Sure didn’t sound like it.
  • Reply 284 of 853
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    [QUOTE=melgross;1503652]Of course it has bearing. One waxes, and one wanes.[/QUOOTE]

What? You cited the eventual success of the iTunes music store as relevant to eventual adoption of Blu-Ray, which is what I was responding to. Are you saying that there's some kind of waxing and waning of music sales vs. video sales?

Quote:

Right now, B-R sales are making a tremendous increase, with no sigh that it will slow down appreciably for a while. As cheaper players continue to come out, that will only increase more. It's also been shown that most PS3 owners also watch movies on them, and there are a lot of them out there. Most movie prices have dropped to about the price of a DVD release, or just a bit higher, and store prices are often the same, or they're not carrying the DVD.

And, again, percentage increases can't mean much starting from a near non-existent base.

Quote:

I think that B-R has at least five years of growth. That's a long time for the computer industry.

To predict its demise now is way premature.

Yep, that's the point of contention-- how long has Blu-Ray got? Complicated by the fact that "how long" is preceding from a barely established base, so any near term slow down would be a virtual death knell.

This is very different from the DVD trajectory, that was already completely established as the defacto standard by the time any competition appeared. Blu-ray is attempting to establish itself just as downloads, on-demand and streaming are starting to take off, so it's really an uphill battle.
  • Reply 285 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And Mac sales are growing at a faster rate than PCs. It follows that Macs will inevitably come to dominate the computer market.

Not in my life time, and not in my childrens life time. Downloads may be the next big thing, but it will be a while away
  • Reply 286 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gary.roberton View Post

Well, I made the switch a couple of weeks ago - I went from PC to Mac. I was so sick of PCs and security updates etc. So I bought a shiny new 24" iMac and have enjoyed every minute of using it. I know Apple announced these new iMacs today and there are pros and cons to each of them (glossy screen this, no blu-ray that, only four USB, etc.) but I don't care. I just love having a Mac. You'll never be able to please all the people all the time, and I am going to resist saying 'I wish I had waited', because in truth I'm glad I didn't (as I would have only been able to afford the 21.5"), I am glad I got a Mac when I did, in fact I am just glad I got a Mac!

Congrats to you. Enjoy it.
  • Reply 287 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Enough of that lame link! Is that article taking into consideration digital downloads from cable/sat companies and, most importantly, the ad supported streaming that makes up the bulk of the streaming these days. Sure didn?t sound like it.

So, it's lame because it disagrees with your point, right...
  • Reply 288 of 853
    Quote:

Yeah, just noticed, wasn't going to wade through seven pages of "blu-ray sucks", it is amazing how many people on this site say it is worth spending extra on a mac, but they won't accept the price of blu-ray even with it being so much better than anything else available

Except nobody is saying that.

What's being said is that, while Blu-ray is obviously technically superior to any download option currently available, PQ may not be sufficient to trump convenience.

People are being conditioned to watch video on laptop screen via Hulu and their ilk, a lot of people have on demand (in reasonably decent HD) available on their cable subscription.

Anyone arguing for the eventual dominance of online music sales wasn't predicating it on something like "High bit CDs suck" or "they cost too much", they were simply reading the writing on the wall. Anyone saying "but high bit CDs sound so much better, crappy MP3s will never beat that" were just missing the point.
  • Reply 289 of 853
    Look great. Why are people so hung up on the cost of a mac vs. pc. I never hear Chevy owners complain about the high price of a Lexus and how Lexus owners are getting ripped off, etc.

Anyways, even if you end up spending $700 more for the low end iMac over a POS PC for something you use everyday like your computer (say for the next 4 years), paying $15 a month extra is a small amount for the reliability of OS X and the overall superior Mac experience.
  • Reply 290 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

And Mac sales are growing at a faster rate than PCs. It follows that Macs will inevitably come to dominate the computer market.

You need to stop now- you're embarrassing yourself. Do you know how much faster Macs would have to sell "to dominate the computer market"?
  • Reply 291 of 853
    Quote:

Not in my life time, and not in my childrens life time. Downloads may be the next big thing, but it will be a while away

Hi. jfanning, this is my point. Point, this is jfanning. I dont' believe you've met.

You were citing rate of growth outstripping downloads as evidence of Blu-ray's eventual dominance. I was pointing out that rate of growth is pretty misleading is you don't take into account installed user base.

Somehow you managed to get that backwards and end up agreeing with me.
  • Reply 292 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You need to stop now- you're embarrassing yourself.

See my post above. You're a ****** idiot.
  • Reply 293 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

Look great. Why are people so hung up on the cost of a mac vs. pc. I never hear Chevy owners complain about the high price of a Lexus and how Lexus owners are getting ripped off, etc.

Anyways, even if you end up spending $700 more for the low end iMac over a POS PC for something you use everyday like your computer (say for the next 4 years), paying $15 a month extra is a small amount for the reliability of OS X and the overall superior Mac experience.

I'm pretty sure that if you took all factors into consideration including the LED backlit IPS monitors, these imacs would be very competitive. Macs tends to be fairly competitive when they are released (still costing slightly more that comparable systems) and then trailing off further into the product cycle as competing technology advances and Mac price points remain the same.
  • Reply 294 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

So, it's lame because it disagrees with your point, right...

He's trolling his Apple FUD again- or is it the old "I don't own any discs mantra"?
  • Reply 295 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gary.roberton View Post

The 24" iMac is still a great Mac. In fact only the 27 is really superior to your computer as the 21.5 inch is smaller and won't deliver any picture quality over what you have now. Enjoy it and welcome to the forum!

Quote:

Except nobody is saying that.

What's being said is that, while Blu-ray is obviously technically superior to any download option currently available, PQ may not be sufficient to trump convenience.

People are being conditioned to watch video on laptop screen via Hulu and their ilk, a lot of people have on demand (in reasonably decent HD) available on their cable subscription.

Anyone arguing for the eventual dominance of online music sales wasn't predicating it on something like "High bit CDs suck" or "they cost too much", they were simply reading the writing on the wall. Anyone saying "but high bit CDs sound so much better, crappy MP3s will never beat that" were just missing the point.

There's a place for both IMO. I don't need EVERYTHING I watch to be in 1080p high bitrate video so there's a need for my HD DVD/Blu-ray player. There's a lot of things that are just better in lower rez. I like sports in 720p/60 when available and for sitcoms 720 rez is fine as you're never really seeing a wide picture or a lot of depth of field.
  • Reply 296 of 853
    Quote:

Hi. jfanning, this is my point. Point, this is jfanning. I dont' believe you've met.

You were citing rate of growth outstripping downloads as evidence of Blu-ray's eventual dominance. I was pointing out that rate of growth is pretty misleading is you don't take into account installed user base.

Somehow you managed to get that backwards and end up agreeing with me.

well you just made my point.

The install base for blu-ray is higher than downloads, so that means when blu-ray has a 66% growth, and downloads an %18 one, then blu-ray is growing a lot faster than downloads, and downloads will not be able to catch up until blu-ray starts decreasing...
  • Reply 297 of 853
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.

Came across a interesting article,

http://www.physorg.com/news175257550.html

Basically Americans have a high rate of impulsive purchase behavior (low PDB or self control) and 80% of luxury goods are impulsive buys. Hmmm...Apple Store placement in trendy locations? All that cheap credit for so many years?

So Apple and other consumer computer makers are exploiting this and the "oh shiny" effect of glossy screens.

It's us people online who carefully review reports and/or have negative experience with glossy screens and reflections/glare that are fuming about the lack of matte screen options.

According to a poll Leveno and Ars Tech reported, over 80% of Leveno's business customers prefer matte screens over glossy.

Business people tend to be high in the self control department and Apple is a consumer products company, catering to people with low self control/early computer users with little experience. Leveno is concerned with the business computer market.

At least Apple still has the 15" MacBook Pro matte option, you can thank me and others online for that effort. Apple has always treated it's business customers like crap anyway.

If Apple only got it's head out of it's ass and concerned itself itself with the needs of both consumer and business/pro users they would own the world.

Not many men want a giant white 27" computer sitting on their office desk.

Silver sure, black sure. But not white. Looks to feminine.

But then again, perhaps Apple doesn't want a bunch of serious business people dulling the childlike impulsive carefree attitude Apple Stores seem to inflict.

Windows 7, bar any major problems, is going to seriously kick Apple's ass. I can feel it.

Bootcamp is going to come back to bite Apple in the ass too, as all those Mac labs are going to be switched to Windows 7 as the matte screen PC computers trickle in.

Apple is simply not giving the public the computers they want to buy. U.S. consumers are going to one day realize the free money trip is over, if they already have with their underwater mortgages and rising unemployment rates.

Conservatism is up, impulsiveness is going down. It's only the delusional who spend their last few grand on a Mac thinking it's going to make them money who are being fooled.

I've seen this before, Apple is going to wish it catered better to the non-impulsive market.

**Correction. New 27" iMac has a silver (not white backing) which gives it a better, more mature look. Still glossy, which causes problems with even more glare due to it's larger size.
  • Reply 298 of 853
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Why oh why did they not put a VESA mount on the 21.5?

Didn't Apple read my post where I explained in complete detail that I want it to fit on the kitchen counter under the top cabinets?

I guess I'm going to have to retrofit a VESA onto my iMac.

I was hoping but... oh well.
  • Reply 299 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

See my post above. You're a ***** idiot.

Watch it. Teckstud can get away with the name calling on here in the same the way society lets the mentally challenged get away with stuff, but we can’t.
  • Reply 300 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

LOL excpet your analogy sucks! A very high percentage of parts in a Chevy are vastly different and in many cases inferior to that in a Lexus. What people on here complain about is that to buy the EXACT same hardware, except the "case", but the actual components, usually cost much less when building a pc. Not sure why you would call the pc a POS, since it has the exact same components, and in many cases much better (Lexus parts) compared to its mac counterpart.