Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 301 of 853
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

People are being conditioned to watch video on laptop screen via Hulu and their ilk, a lot of people have on demand (in reasonably decent HD) available on their cable subscription.

a lot of people? You are aware that most of the world can not access Hulu, and most of the world does not have on demand (or can access it if they wanted it) HD cable?

Quote:

Anyone arguing for the eventual dominance of online music sales wasn't predicating it on something like "High bit CDs suck" or "they cost too much", they were simply reading the writing on the wall. Anyone saying "but high bit CDs sound so much better, crappy MP3s will never beat that" were just missing the point.

I have some SACD as well, and they do sound better than the iTunes downloads
  • Reply 302 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

And Mac sales are growing at a faster rate than PCs. It follows that Macs will inevitably come to dominate the computer market.

Quote:

See my post above. You're a ****** idiot.

You make posts like that and I'm the idiot?
  • Reply 303 of 853
    I bought the first iteration of the black/silver iMac at 20". I have a Blu-Ray player with my home cinema system. WHatever the arguments regarding the standard of the iTunes HD offerings or how much you could appreciate a BR disc on even the 27" iMac the reason I'd want the option is so I can play my existing BR discs on my computer if someone is using the TV. I don't want to have to buy on DVD because Apple doesn't support it or download it for the same reason.

Obviously if Apple TV offered a PVR service and iTunes an extensive, varied film library I might bear it (I discuss this in another thread) but at present all my film purchases are on hard copy and if there's a BR option I choose that.

How long before i5 or i7 make their way onto the 21"? Not sure my desk could hold the 27"
  • Reply 304 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Watch it. Teckstud can get away with the name calling on here in the same the way society lets the mentally challenged get away with stuff, but we can’t.

As if you don't? GMAFB

fyi- I rarely resort to such a tactic as namecalling.
  • Reply 305 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Wires are cheap, secure and reliable.

Ha. My cat would disagree on the reliability issue.
  • Reply 306 of 853
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Weird. They seem to charge me $8.47 a month for it. Can you link me to where it is free so I can try and get my bill reduced?

The charge is for disc rentals. The streaming is free.
  • Reply 307 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

LOL excpet your analogy sucks! A very high percentage of parts in a Chevy are vastly different and in many cases inferior to that in a Lexus. What people on here complain about is that to buy the EXACT same hardware, except the "case", but the actual components, usually cost much less when building a pc. Not sure why you would call the pc a POS, since it has the exact same components, and in many cases much better (Lexus parts) compared to its mac counterpart.

Apparently the "case" includes LED backlit IPS monitors, slot loading drives, backlit keyboards, multitouch trackpads (and now mice lol), ambient light sensors, custom designed motherboards, hard drive drop sensors, etc. There are many components that add to the cost of a mac that don't show up on a comparison sheet.
  • Reply 308 of 853
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

As if you don't? GMAFB

fyi- I rarely resort to such a tactic as namecalling.

But you are really annoying, especially today.
  • Reply 309 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

The charge is for disc rentals. The streaming is free.

So where can he get the Netflix streaming for free so he can cancel his disc rentals?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apparently the "case" includes LED backlit IPS monitors, slot loading drives, backlit keyboards, multitouch trackpads (and now mice lol), ambient light sensors, custom designed motherboards, hard drive drop sensors, etc. There are many components that add to the cost of a mac that don't show up on a comparison sheet.

Let?s not forget the cost of ?going green?, the support you get from the Apple, the 7 hour battery that is actually rated for 7 hours with WiFi on and in use, et cetera.
  • Reply 310 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:

And for a certain segment of the viewing population PQ wins out over convenience, for sure. For that matter, it wins out for me-- I don't much care for the quality of dl video. OTOH, I find myself doing a lot of casual movie viewing on Netflix Watch It Now-- if the catalogue were deeper, I would probably watch the majority of my movies that way, and reserve the big screen high quality treatment for specific films that I know to be visually compelling.

But I question how large this segment is, particularly when you consider the fact that of the movies released each year, only a handful are image intensive. Most are the kind of romantic comedies and dramas that don't require much in the way of PQ to work.

I guess the question is, how good is good enough? In the case of audio, we discovered that the answer was "not that good, actually." My suspicion is is that, even at the current semi-mediocre reproduction levels, video downloads are good enough.

I also suspect that this is a generational thing, with older, more affluent consumers opting for big screens and blu-ray, with younger people being perfectly content with downloads and laptops.

It's a growing segment for high def. Until you can watch the Netflix on a big screen without going, "UGH!", then it won't be good enough for more than a few, and growing number of people. Netflix is a supplement for people with big screens, not the only source. And screen size is continuing to grow as they get cheaper. It used to be that 42" was big, now it's 58". 42" is average.

The problem is that too many people sit too far from the screen to get the full effect of HD. But as those screen sizes get bigger, it will become more obvious. People I know in apartments who were telling me that they had little room for their 42" two years ago are moving up to bigger screens now.

Sports are a big inducer of this as well.
  • Reply 311 of 853
    Quote:

You make posts like that and I'm the idiot?

for such a sarcastic person you'd think you'd be able to pick up on this.

Can't we just have a "techstud complains about everything" forum and let people who want to see every other post as another familiar complaint/antagonistic remark just go there for (entertainment?) value?
  • Reply 312 of 853
    Does anyone know if that Mac clone maker sells Matte screens?
  • Reply 313 of 853
    Nice to see the back of the iMac no longer resembles a cheap ass Dell- that's definite plus.
  • Reply 314 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

for such a sarcastic person you'd think you'd be able to pick up on this.

Can't we just have a "techstud complains about everything" forum and let people who want to see every other post as another familiar complaint/antagonistic remark just go there for (entertainment?) value?

I have brought real issues up today- blu- ray, matte, etc. See my first post. We are all discussing these topics back and forth. No complaints but real issues. What's your problem?

His comment if you read it directly appears literal not sarcastic. He should have added an emoticon or worded it differently. I can't help if he can't write.
  • Reply 315 of 853
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Not in my life time, and not in my childrens life time. Downloads may be the next big thing, but it will be a while away

Same here. My kid thinks buying a movie is something we get from the store and watch when we get home. My kid things downloading is that free low quality thing via YouTube.

Downloads? Oh, you mean watch it on the tiny computer screen? Or buy an AppleTV and only get movies from Apple because it does not work with any other store? No thanks.
  • Reply 316 of 853
    I would love to go back to using a mac but:

Imac 27" w/4850 - $3300 (NZD)

Equivalent PC - $1862 (NZD)

Imac 21" - $2000 (NZD)

Equivalent PC - $1300 (NZD) (also has quad not dual core)

Seems hard to justify a 27" Imac when I can have a pc build to match its specs and a second machine with the specs of the 21" for $3162. Or replace the lowly 4850 for a Gt280, double the ram and hb space - for an extra 400-500 (NZD) So $2362 and use the $1000 for a trip to Fiji (or buy some crappy pc software).

I love Apples integration between hardware and software and osx is amazing, but build quality isn't as much better than any other pc these days, components are no more reliable - Both consequences of trying to compete on price, and more than allowable if the price reflected this. I would happily pay an extra 500-700 dollars premium to have a mac, honestly I would. But when I can build a superior computer and have almost $1000 left over it's very hard to go Mac

For the time being, I think I'll just cherish the time I spend working on my work Mac
  • Reply 317 of 853
    Quote:

I have brought real issues up today- blu- ray, matte, etc. See my first post. We are all discussing these topics back and forth. No complaints but real issues. What's your problem?

His comment if you read it directly appears literal not sarcastic. He should have added an emoticon or worded it differently. I can't help if he can't write.

edit: is it his fault if you can't read?

And yes, you are tackling 'real' issues, but in a) the wrong thread and b) every day and c) by posting the same thing and by d) being intentionally antagonistic. Which is fine. I'm just posting about the 'real' issue of you flooding the board with "omg no bluray" comments
  • Reply 318 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:

That surprised me, too. It sounds like IPS is on the 21” model, too, but I really want that confirmed as it sounds too good to be true. Also looking to see how the mDP input functions.

From Apple's tech spec page:

Quote:

Built-in 21.5-inch (viewable) or 27-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen TFT active-matrix liquid crystal display with IPS technology

Reads like it's for both.

Quote:

It seems everyone I know with BRD also do downloads, and people without BRDs also do downloads. I’m not betting against Blu-ray in the living room as it’s the best consumer option for audio and video, but that is for the living room. Are you betting that Apple adds Blu-ray support and BRD options to their lineup? I think there focus on their digital download service and will not add the optical drive option at all, and may add the OS support for BR media but only after they feel they have gotten a firm hold of digital media over Blu-ray media, even though Blu-ray will be the ideal solution for your home entertainment center for many years to come.

know a lot of people from Janet's schools over the years. few are techie people, and few do downloads. Every one of my friends who are more techie have B-R, and some do download. Of the school friends, more have B-R than do downloads.

Quote:

That is true, but I think that the real history of the iTMS success is the convenience that brought in certain areas that made the other caveats inconsequential. I think that for video convenience will also win out with ‘good enough” viewing.

Convenience is also why CD made it. Same for DVD. B-R doesn't offer more than they do, but more people are buying home theaters all the time. It's the largest part of the consumer electronics purchasing plans these days for large systems.

While PC people may only want to pay a few hundred for their PC's, the same people are paying thousands for home theater. And they're buying B-R to go with it.
  • Reply 319 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Except if you don't live in the US...

Quote:

So where can he get the Netflix streaming for free so he can cancel his disc rentals?

Netflix streaming is free with monthly membership, even 1 disc at a time.
  • Reply 320 of 853
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    I wish they had kept the 24" 16:10 option. 16 x 9 is great for watching movies, but for office type work, design/development stuff I think the 16 x 10 aspect ratio is slightly better, and 24" is a really good size on a desk.