Apple says no more product introductions until next year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    Mr. Schiller has just shattered all the wet dreams of prognosticators waiting for their quad-core MBPs (15" model too).

Anyone with foresight should have known that no quad-core would make its way into a MBP this year --at least not in the 13" and 15" units.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This has nothing to do with reality. If we knew it to be true it would be different.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Blu-ray is the only thing stopping me buying an i7 iMac. Add BD, and I buy. It's as simple as that. If only Apple were listening.

Nothing has anything to do with reality, until it's true. I'm just saying, Apple could very well release the quad-core iMacs in November, with Blu-Ray, as I outlined above. And I'm inclined to wait until they do.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Puke.

A bloated lemon? No thank you.

Go for the MiniMac instead. Trust me.

I would second that. Especially with a little hack here and there you can install and run ATV on the Mini. Selective-Boot. It's the best.

Why else does the Mini win? BOXEE.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    Well this explains why the stock sunk $5+ today.
  • Reply 85 of 122
    Just re-read it.

I'm taking it no NEW PRODUCTS to be released this year. Nothing about updating existing lines. Their Lineup is Set, so nothing new like the iSlate Tablet.

Nothing said about updating existing lines though.
  • Reply 86 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes, it's going to be a holly jolly pink slip Christmas.

I suspect you will be surprised.

Quote:

80% of luxury item sales are impulsive buys.

Apple's products are considered luxury items, especially their store locations.

I reject that totally. Just hang around an Apple store for a while and you will see a wide range of people. Apple doesn't sell luxury items it sells quality hardware and software.

Quote:

It's hard to be impulsive when your not making any money or have any credit.

Things are on the up swing. Further I've paid off much of my outstanding debt months ago. Started doing that a couple of years ago when recognizing the truth in some commentary I had heard.

Sure the free spending liberal mind set crowd is suffering but frankly they deserve it. People need to be responsible for themselves and their wealth, if they aren't or can't then they get the hell they built.

Dave
  • Reply 87 of 122
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Keep on dreaming. I think the bluray licensing fell through. I wouldn't be expecting it for at least another six months. If there was any reason I would think it might have something to do with Bluray's protected video path requirements, which must be satisfied with the OS, not just with HDCP...
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have to go test that in the stores. The reviews say it is a bit akward with the skids on the bottom making it slid a bit as you swipe your fingers. It is a new paradigm shift so you can't really go by the reviews.

It does require a little retraining, I've found that a ultra light touch is all that is needed for great results.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

Nothing has anything to do with reality, until it's true. I'm just saying, Apple could very well release the quad-core iMacs in November, with Blu-Ray, as I outlined above. And I'm inclined to wait until they do.

Why would they change their mind so soon?

I want BR as much as anyone for my Mac, but I can't believe they would do that. They never do that.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Well this explains why the stock sunk $5+ today.

Nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    Quote:

Just re-read it.

I'm taking it no NEW PRODUCTS to be released this year. Nothing about updating existing lines. Their Lineup is Set, so nothing new like the iSlate Tablet.

Nothing said about updating existing lines though.

They're not going to update something they just announced.
  • Reply 92 of 122
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Puke.

A bloated lemon? No thank you.

Go for the MiniMac instead. Trust me.

Have both ( 3 Mini's) and an ATV, O!Play, WDTV Live. The Apple TV is excellent. It needs an update but those who think it's a lemon just don't get it.

pmcd
  • Reply 93 of 122
    Quote:

I would second that. Especially with a little hack here and there you can install and run ATV on the Mini. Selective-Boot. It's the best.

Why else does the Mini win? BOXEE.

The Mini is excellent but is almost 3 times the price and it's a computer. I love my Mini's but the ATV has taken over under the TV (along with some HD units) something I never thought I'd do. It wouldn't hurt if Apple had a remote keyboard with trackpad for the Mini. Having two devices to deal with the Mini is a pain, forcing you to go to some of the PC all in one keyboards which are never quite perfect.

I will grant you that XBMC and Plex are excellent reasons to run a Mini off a TV. Not having HDMI is a bit of a pain and having to pay a fortune to get a display port to hdmi digital cable (which uses a usb port) makes the price difference even worse.

I don't think Apple wants the Mini under a TV, even though it's fine there.

pmcd
  • Reply 94 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The HDD size is the least of its worries. The AppleTV HW needs a complete revamp and soon. Ion, which is an Atom CPU paired with Nvidia 9400M, would likely be cheaper and should be able to push 1080p. The AppleTV HW is just too antiquated to warranty a HDD capacity update and nothing else, but more importantly the market for media appliances has changed quite a bit since Apple first introduced it. The UI and features need some major changes to match the changes since the Take 2 (v2.0) release. It does what it does well and as advertised, but it?s surely not a device I?d recommend going into 2010.

I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI.

1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing.

You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content?

pmcd
  • Reply 95 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

The Mini is excellent but is almost 3 times the price and it's a computer.

It?s funny, it seems the same people that state that one should use a Mini as an HTPC despite the cost and setup involved are the same ones that typically troll here screaming that Macs are overpriced. I?m not saying xwiredtva does that, not at all, but there are others on this forum that I clearly recall. It?s ironic, really.

Have you installed Boxee? it?s good for playing Hulu, the only caveat is the lack of GPU acceleration with affects Hulu videos.

[QUOTE]I don't think Apple wants the Mini under a TV, even though it's fine there./QUOTE]

They don?t. If they did they would have an HDMI cable and a proper UI for it, not the left for dead FrontRow and two video-out ports clearly for PCs.

Quote:

I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI.

With that I agree. I?ve tried several and returned them all. They all sucked! However, the AppleTV GUI and OS need an overhaul at this point. I?ll be very surprised if we don?t see it by February.

Quote:

1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing.

I wouldn?t say it?s ?over-rrated? as it looks fantastic, but it?s certainly not a requirement for most people. Anything better than DVD seems to be sufficient for now, which appears to be giving more convenient media sources a leg up despite Blu-ray being significantly higher quality. Convenience usually wins.

Quote:

You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content

Usenet and torrents, I hear.
  • Reply 96 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;1509561

Have you installed Boxee? it?s good for playing Hulu, the only caveat is the lack of GPU acceleration with affects Hulu videos.

[

I wouldn?t say it?s ?over-rrated? as it looks fantastic, but it?s certainly not a requirement for most people. Anything better than DVD seems to be sufficient for now, which appears to be giving more convenient media sources a leg up despite Blu-ray being significantly higher quality. Convenience usually wins.

Yes, I tried xbmc, boxee on both the ATV and the Mini. We don't get Hulu up here so I used a proxy for a while. It's not really my thing. Already have a good satellite system and the Hauppauge HD PVR. I really liked Plex on the Mini and it could pretty well play anything. Just not sure what happened to change my feelings about the Mini. It's still hooked up to the TV but I use it mainly for computer things (and the Hauppauge device).

I realize the Apple TV is getting long in the tooth but I just really like it a lot. At the moment it's on the same TV as the Mini, a WDTV LIve and an MVix Ultio. There's an Asus O!Play that has moved to another TV. The point is these players are there to be used and for some odd reason it's the Apple TV that gets the most use by far. Even 720p main profile video on the ATV is very nice so that pretty well takes care of most of my stuff. The Asus player is actually quite nice in the way it handles subtitles. It's similar to the MVix Ultio in that it's based on a Realtek video chip. I don't know what to say about the WDTV Live. WD is better making hard drives. All these units are so far behind the ATV that it's not funny. If only Apple would take it more seriously.

The TV thing is tricky.

By the way, XBMC on the Apple TV is great unless you are into various skins. There's also an app called VideoDrive which lets you trick iTunes into thinking xvid files are H.264 and can be streamed, synced, etc... Pretty neat (supports metadata too). There are free ways of doing that but they aren't as convenient.

1080p torrents will eventually lead to isp's capping data transfers, and then the market for all these multi-codec players might just shrink.

Apple's approach with the Apple TV is essentially ok. It just needs to evolve.

Should have bought most of those players from places that take returns. Unfortunately....

pmcd
  • Reply 97 of 122
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

instructionals

That would be like Willem Dafoe and "symbology" .

>>I wonder who will actually get it<<
  • Reply 98 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The HDD size is the least of its worries. The AppleTV HW needs a complete revamp and soon. Ion, which is an Atom CPU paired with Nvidia 9400M, would likely be cheaper and should be able to push 1080p. The AppleTV HW is just too antiquated to warranty a HDD capacity update and nothing else, but more importantly the market for media appliances has changed quite a bit since Apple first introduced it. The UI and features need some major changes to match the changes since the Take 2 (v2.0) release. It does what it does well and as advertised, but it?s surely not a device I?d recommend going into 2010.

The Apple TV is getting a revamp very soon
  • Reply 99 of 122
    can't wait for 2010 I was gonna buy one in December though, now i am undecided\
  • Reply 100 of 122
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content?

pmcd

I have an Apple TV and I find the interface to be ugly, slow, and generally poor. It's not very 'Apple-like' either, as it's comprised mostly of a basic white font on a black background with simple white borders around things. Very poor.

The lack of 1080p is also an issue for me. Why shouldn't I be able to stream 1080p? I can do that right now on my Xbox 360, and have bandwidth to spare. (50mbit uncapped cable)

I think the Apple TV needs a total do-over. Faster hardware, 1080p, an all new MUCH prettier and more modern interface, an iTunes movie/TV subscription option, and most importantly of all - making it an open platform. I should be able to install apps for web streaming services, twitter etc with ease.

As it stands the X360 is a better media device than the Apple TV. Much better actually.