Apple's iPhone 3GS blunts Palm Pre impact, challenges BlackBerry

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Good luck with that!

Out of curiosity, what is it that the iphone does not, that draws you to purchase an inferior product with limited software?

If that's a serious question, then the answer is that it seems to fit what I do day in and day out better. Better integration of the things that I do most (contacts with Flickr, Facebook) and I'm using google apps for the most part already.

As much as I've tried mobileme (still have an account) I find that I'm naturally pulled toward google every single day. It works on all machines, has my reader, consolidates my email, etc. *shrug*

Aside from that, it seems to me that having an open framework for development will eventually trump the app store given the watching eye over at apple. I'm certainly not saying apple doesn't innovate. They sure do. The problem is that they innovate against their own ideas of what people want. I don't really want a static interface.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hadn?t realized that Palm was top dog only 3 years ago, that Apple was so close to RiM, and that RiM?s marketshare growth had stagnated.

It looks like RiM has less than 9 months before Apple?s offering overtakes it. I hope Android and others can offer something more compelling than we?ve seen to keep Apple on its toes.

I'm not so sure thats true about RIMs growth stagnating. They still hold 4 of the top 6 smartphones. I think the simple fact the Pre is on Sprint is what kills it.

In reality all three products are good smartphone they just all offer something different. The killer for me with the iPhone is the non removeable battery.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Just imagine if the iPhone was on sale for all 4 major carriers.......
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

iPhone overtaking RIM?

The question is not "if", but "when."

Yeah get back to use when that actually happens instead of always trying to predict the future.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

In reality all three products are good smartphone they just all offer something different. The killer for me with the iPhone is the non removeable battery.

Kingston and others offer small battery packs the will recharge your iPhone more than once and some cost less than internal batteries.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:

... The killer for me with the iPhone is the non removeable battery.

What is it that some people have with a removable battery? Create more toxic landfills?

The non-removable battery in my sons's 1st gen iPhone holds its power as on day 1. I bought a little chargeable battery from APC, that I can simply hook up to the iPhone*) and it will recharge it twice.

Believe me, Apple has good reason to have a non-removable battery. If it would have been better to make it differently, they would have done it.

*) While talking with someone, without having to hang up, pry the back open, find the spare battery, insert it -all this in a heavy downpour or freezing weather- and dial again!
  • Reply 27 of 90
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

At the risk of being hung a heretic, I'm the biggest Apple fanboy in my circle of friends and family, and when I leave blackberry next month, I'm going to Android. When iPhone first came out it blew me away, but honestly, it hasn't changed in years save for speed, nor will it let you change it without rooting the phone. I want more variety if I'm stuck in a contract.

From an OS perspective, I think you'll be prying my MBP from my cold dead hands, but from a smartphone one, the future looks a lot like Android to me.

I've never quite gotten the "variety" thing, or the caveat that the iPhone has somehow been static. Apple has added a ton of functionality to the original iPhone, starting with the App Store itself, and added some very nice hardware upgrades with the 3Gs.

More generally, , it seems to me that the relentless hunt for novelty doesn't have any place in the world of operating systems and useful computing devices. People talk about the iPhone OS being "stale", but why would I go looking for new eye candy if my handset does what I want in an easy to use and satisfying fashion?

Sure, I appreciate new functionality, but as I say that's something that Apple has delivered, a great deal of it backwardly compatible to the first model.

At any rate, I thnk that the ability to muck about with your phone is something that appeals to the same minority which keeps thinking Linux is going to rule any day now. Most people appreciate a device that works out of the box, with the opportunities to break something kept to a minimum.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Yeah get back to use when that actually happens instead of always trying to predict the future.

You've been making predictions about operating systems all week.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:

I'm not so sure thats true about RIMs growth stagnating. They still hold 4 of the top 6 smartphones. I think the simple fact the Pre is on Sprint is what kills it.

Sprint is just one problem. Anyone stop to think that people just don't like the Pre?

Palms' problems, as we can see, started long before the Pre came out only on Sprints network. The sales of the Pre have been so dismal, that Palm is in danger of going out of business, or being bought up once its too high stock price drops to reflect Palms sales. The price was driven up by all the hype.

RIM still has good growth, but Apple's growth has a much higher curve to it.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I've never quite gotten the "variety" thing, or the caveat that the iPhone has somehow been static. Apple has added a ton of functionality to the original iPhone, starting with the App Store itself, and added some very nice hardware upgrades with the 3Gs.

More generally, , it seems to me that the relentless hunt for novelty doesn't have any place in the world of operating systems and useful computing devices. People talk about the iPhone OS being "stale", but why would I go looking for new eye candy if my handset does what I want in an easy to use and satisfying fashion?

Sure, I appreciate new functionality, but as I say that's something that Apple has delivered, a great deal of it backwardly compatible to the first model.

At any rate, I thnk that the ability to muck about with your phone is something that appeals to the same minority which keeps thinking Linux is going to rule any day now. Most people appreciate a device that works out of the box, with the opportunities to break something kept to a minimum.

It comes down to one group that considers their phone a tool to be used and improve one's life. The other group is populated by ADHD kids that have to have their 5-minute eye-candy/variety fix only to be bored and complain that the OS is "stale" after a month. They can never be satisfied regardless of how cutting edge something is. Guess which group most of the whiners on this thread belong to.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You've been making predictions about operating systems all week.

I'm afraid thats not true. I try not to make predications but work with actual data. You like to make predications about future market cap that hasn't happened or products overtaking others which also hasn't happened.

Stock is down about 4% in two days did you predict that? I'm sure with the hardware releases you expected it to be at 500 a share by now.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Actually I agreed with him on that point. The iPhone will only do what Apple wants it to do, similar to how Apple doesn't want the 27" iMac to be used with HDMI (...yet). Fortunately in the case of the iPhone, it does everything I need. I'd prefer "state saving" as opposed to multi tasking (since the battery life on the iPhone isn't great as it is), but there should multi tasking for apps like Spotify, Classic FM and Pandora so I don't only have to listen to my iTunes library while doing other stuff.

If Apple incorporate the battery advancements they've applied to their Macbooks then next July would be interesting to say the least.

sflocal - it's been 2 years, not 5 minutes. Although the iPhone's layout is iconic (pun intended) and I see no reason to change it.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    I think I have this correct...last quarter more people bought an iPhone from ATT than all the phones sold combined by Verizon. The iPhone singlehandedly outsold Verizon's entire product line.

The writing is on the wall for RIM!
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:

I'm afraid thats not true. I try not to make predications but work with actual data. You like to make predications about future market cap that hasn't happened or products overtaking others which also hasn't happened.

Stock is down about 4% in two days did you predict that? I'm sure with the hardware releases you expected it to be at 500 a share by now.

Several reasons why the stock is down. The NASDAQ has been down several days running, and the Galleon Hedge Fund was liquidated. They had a large position in Apple, and that's being attributed to as a reason for the big drop today.

Lastly, some people bought the stock with the rumor that newer MBPs were coming out soon, which turned out to be wrong.

You can't use a few dollar uptick or downturn as an indicator of anything.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I know RiM is selling more units, but the market is growing fast. I specifically states marketshare growth, which the chart backs up. In fact it shows a slight decrease QoQ. Unfortunately for RiM the unit sales aren't equating to nearly the same profits as it did prior to the iPhone's emergence.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'd like to see the Pre and Pixi do well for Palm. I love Apple but I'm not tied to them lock-in-step. (i.e. I own a Blackberry, Wii, and subscribe to Netflix, but have iPods and a Macbook).
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'd like to see the Pre and Pixi do well for Palm. I love Apple but I'm not tied to them lock-in-step. (i.e. I own a Blackberry, Wii, and subscribe to Netflix, but have iPods and a Macbook).

Most of us would like to see Palm do ok, but it doesn't look to be happening.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I simply don't see this abating. The uptake of the iPhone is quite amazing.

Amazing it is and in that famous interview Steve Ballmer when asked about the iPhone made fun of it because it didn't have a keyboard and how MS was selling millions of phones to iPhone's zero (remember original iPhone was announced in Jan (due to FCC filing requests) but not being released until June and Ballmer said regarding the iPhone's selling success to come back in six months.

I wonder if anybody did a follow-up in six months?

You can't go back to ask how things are with iPhone and WinMo now, because we all know...
  • Reply 39 of 90
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I think the simple fact the Pre is on Sprint is what kills it.

If it was a knock down, drag out killer of a ground breaking product, then the PRE wouldn't be "killed" just because it is on Sprint's network.

The reason why there would be no lines around the block on the product's introductory day, explains why you see Palm current standing now because there is no Applesque enthusiasm! And to say when it goes on sale at Verizon and ATT etc. it will just face competition from Android and The Droid and other 'me too' wannabe iPhones... \
  • Reply 40 of 90
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

If that's a serious question, then the answer is that it seems to fit what I do day in and day out better. Better integration of the things that I do most (contacts with Flickr, Facebook) and I'm using google apps for the most part already.

As much as I've tried mobileme (still have an account) I find that I'm naturally pulled toward google every single day. It works on all machines, has my reader, consolidates my email, etc. *shrug*

Aside from that, it seems to me that having an open framework for development will eventually trump the app store given the watching eye over at apple. I'm certainly not saying apple doesn't innovate. They sure do. The problem is that they innovate against their own ideas of what people want. I don't really want a static interface.

The framework is different from Apple, but I?m not sure you could say it?s entirely ?open?. I find the warm, fuzzy feeling associated with Google to be unsettling. Google is NOT the Wikimedia Foundation. It?s a FOR profit company no different than Apple or Microsoft. Ultimately their bottom line is making money. And just how much can their smart ads alone generate? The Gmail service is free to use because scanners post ads tailored to your interest. I would much rather pay $300 for a phone and know it?s mine, than to have 100% of my personal information on file at Google, knowing that advertising is how they make money.