Apple's iPhone 3GS blunts Palm Pre impact, challenges BlackBerry

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new consumer survey shows smartphone ownership is still growing rapidly, future demand is strong, and that Apple's iPhone 3GS has made a big impact since its launch, overshadowing the Palm Pre and approaching RIM's BlackBerry.

The survey of 4,255 users was conduced by ChangeWave Research last month to provide a look at how the launch of the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre have affected the US smartphone market.

Smartphone ownership among those surveyed is now up to 39%, two points higher than the previous quarter and nearly double the level of just two years ago.

Future demand is also healthy, with 11.6% saying they plan to buy a new smartphone in the next 90s days. That's down 3 points from June when users were anticipating the launch of the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre, but ChangeWave says its "still one of the highest percentages ever recorded" in the company's regular surveys.

In terms of current market share, RIM's BlackBerry phones remain in the lead with 40% ownership, but that's off a point from the previous quarter and is the lowest level for RIM in the last two years.

Apple gained 5 points this quarter to reach 30% ownership; ChangeWave observed "for the first time it has also placed them within striking distance of the number one spot in the consumer market."

ChangeWave also notes that "36% of those who plan to purchase a smart phone in the next 90 days say they'll get an iPhone," and that Apple's iPhone satisfaction ranking (74%) is vastly ahead those users assigned to makers of other smartphones, which ranged from Sony Ericsson at 17% to RIM at 43%.

Palm's position remains unchanged at 7%, but the company notes that "this is the first survey in nearly two years where their share hasn?t fallen ? and that?s a clearly encouraging sign." Just three years ago, Palm had the top spot in smartphones with 36%.

Additional details published by ChangeWave tracking future smartphone demand and satisfaction ratings can be found in the research group's full report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    When does the Droid arrive?
  • Reply 2 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I simply don't see this abating. The uptake of the iPhone is quite amazing.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well that's because the iPhone is the BEST!
  • Reply 4 of 90
    Quote:

Not sure this is really news. Its like AI saying the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Like everyone on earth doesn't know the Blackberry and iPhone bounce back and forth between 1 and 2.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    This should be an interesting thought by the end of 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    If/When the iPhone becomes multi-carrier, everything will change again, very quickly too.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

When does the Droid arrive?

Too late to do them any good.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Palm made a mistake with the Pre pricing and they are making the same mistake with the Pixie.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    At the risk of being hung a heretic, I'm the biggest Apple fanboy in my circle of friends and family, and when I leave blackberry next month, I'm going to Android. When iPhone first came out it blew me away, but honestly, it hasn't changed in years save for speed, nor will it let you change it without rooting the phone. I want more variety if I'm stuck in a contract.

From an OS perspective, I think you'll be prying my MBP from my cold dead hands, but from a smartphone one, the future looks a lot like Android to me.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Not sure this is really news. Its like AI saying the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Like everyone on earth doesn't know the Blackberry and iPhone bounce back and forth between 1 and 2.

I hadn?t realized that Palm was top dog only 3 years ago, that Apple was so close to RiM, and that RiM?s marketshare growth had stagnated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

This should be an interesting thought by the end of 2010.

It looks like RiM has less than 9 months before Apple?s offering overtakes it. I hope Android and others can offer something more compelling than we?ve seen to keep Apple on its toes.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Quote:

No, RIM has been ahead all the time. There was one quarter where the iPhone outsold them by a small bit, but that didn't change the overall numbers. This is ownership, not quarter to quarter sales.

But what's really interesting here is the other 22% not shown in the charts.

Where is everyone else? We know that Nokia is at about 3%, and has lost percentage. Sony Ericsson? Not too many.

But it seems as though the other big loser other than Palm is the large number of Win Mobile phones, sold mostly by HTC (they have 80% of all Win Mobile sales). I would like to seen those numbers as well.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

At the risk of being hung a heretic, I'm the biggest Apple fanboy in my circle of friends and family, and when I leave blackberry next month, I'm going to Android. When iPhone first came out it blew me away, but honestly, it hasn't changed in years save for speed, nor will it let you change it without rooting the phone. I want more variety if I'm stuck in a contract.

From an OS perspective, I think you'll be prying my MBP from my cold dead hands, but from a smartphone one, the future looks a lot like Android to me.

Have fun! 30 million of us are pretty happy with the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

But that's the point, I don't think they will bounce back and forth for long if they even are in reality. IMHO, over time the iPhone will surge far ahead. Kind of like iTunes slowly crept up to the #1 sales outlet for music.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:

So far at least, Android phones don't give you what you think they do. Read some articles about it. You are stuck with Google's apps. You are stuck with them as a repository for all of your personal information, etc. Not all Android phones support all the features. Not all software works well on all the phones. Developers have about as many complaints about Google as developers have about Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:

To paraphrase Arnie ... "You'll be back!"
  • Reply 16 of 90
    Quote:

Good luck with that!

Out of curiosity, what is it that the iphone does not, that draws you to purchase an inferior product with limited software?
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Quote:

Android does look pretty nice, and 2.0 came out today, EDIT - tomorrow. I'd consider one if the hardware was better, but the iPhone bests it due to it's integration with my Mac - I'm not quite ready to move all my stuff to the cloud... yet. There is plenty of good competition, but 4.0 will be round the corner when my contract expires so I'll just wait it out.

I played with a Palm at the O2 store (UK) and it's just too slow... and I use an iPhone 3G
  • Reply 18 of 90
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well that's because the iPhone is the BEST!

Wow, I may have to add a row to teckstud_knowledge.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Quote:

But that's the point, I don't think they will bounce back and forth for long if they even are in reality. IMHO, over time the iPhone will surge far ahead. Kind of like iTunes slowly crept up to the #1 sales outlet for music.

I'm not sure the iphone will ever surge ahead of the Blackberry because so many users are unhappy with ATT. In alot of cases people love the iPhone and put up with ATT. ATT service plan for the iPhone is also fairly expensive and they totally rip you off on txt messaging. Then again to get the blackberry thats an extra 30.00 monthly on top of the plan you select from Verizon.

The Pre is a really good phone the problem is its with Sprint.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    iPhone overtaking RIM?

The question is not "if", but "when."