First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

Comments

• Reply 221 of 244
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Maybe I should have picked up some of those cables last time I was in NYC, i didn't think of it as the MacBook I purchased there had a mini DVI plug in it, and I already had the adapter

next time your in nyc

email me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, it didn?t. Being included does not equate to being free. I am happy that I no longer have drawers filled with unused adapters, cables and other accessories because the the product included them in the price regardless if I needed them of not.

what or how did you get rid of them ??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by planetMitch View Post

You know, I hadn't really thought about it, but you're absolutely right... I've got a couple of similar boxes sitting under my desk and have seen drawers and drawers of cables at the office that went straight to the dump after a few years of unuse. We really need to get to one or two standards and stick with them for a long time.

i think in the end mini usb/ usb3 will be a worldwide standard >

companies across the known universe will at some point HAVE to cradle to grave all there products . including power down options when idle .

apple is so green right now i am proud ...

yet even apple can still do a lot more to be even greener . or force their 3rd and 4th level supplier's to be more green >>like walmart does right now . being green saves money so why not >>??

. the new imac is very green > thank god . the glass screen alone saves tons of future toxic waste . sadly the reflection from the glass may blind millions ,,joking ..

Quote:

I don't believe it is technically legal but it probably depends on your intent... in reality tho, I don't think they'd come after you if you were ripping them to watch on a different media and then deleting them... for example, say you're going on a trip and only taking your iPhone. You want to watch a movie on the plane and rent one from Netflix, you rip it and put it on your iPhone and then after you watch it, you delete all copies. I don't think they care.

However, if you rent it from Netflix, then rip it, and keep it as if you purchased it, then no. That's not appropriate.

I am a little guilty here . i have been ripping to play back on my mac and 160g new ipod . Thank you your advice sound solid .

peace

[

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.)You have never made any mention that you did not like the interface for AppleTV- EVER. If anything you thought it was quite sufficient after the Apple remote app was released and its problems therby solved.

2.) How do you know where else I have expressed my disdain for that interface over the last 2 years? Answer- you don't.

3.) You actually believe change occurs by keeping your mouth shut and not voicing disatisfaction. Apple only knows what is right for us.

All you do is lable any disenter a whiner and complainer with your 11,000 plus posts of chearleading every move Apple makes and making up excuses when something is either flat out wrong (AppleTV interface, discontinuation of matte which has now returned to the 15" ) or lacking ( cut and paste, MMS, Video on iPhone, etc).

And this is not a personal attack but fact- plain and simple.

Yet my friend he did just offer you an olive branch and while I don't agree always with either one of you guys you both are my 2 flavorite members . you both crack me up here with you stlyish nyc snapping wit .

and solipsism does try very hard to back up his comments with valid links and valid research . many people here suspect that you 2 are the same person . i think that you both are the ying and yang of AI

GROUP HUG ???

peace 9
  • Reply 222 of 244
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adam1134 View Post

Ordred my Quad Core i5 w/ 8GB of RAM. Now I wait....

I'm curious. Which would be 'better': Quad core i7 or 8GB of RAM if you could afford only one of them?
  • Reply 223 of 244
    Quote:

I don't believe it is technically legal but it probably depends on your intent..

Ripping a dvd, regardless of your intent, is illegal.

Quote:

in reality tho, I don't think they'd come after you if you were ripping them to watch on a different media and then deleting them... for example, say you're going on a trip and only taking your iPhone. You want to watch a movie on the plane and rent one from Netflix, you rip it and put it on your iPhone and then after you watch it, you delete all copies. I don't think they care.

THey would have to know, to care.
  • Reply 224 of 244
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Ripping a dvd, regardless of your intent, is illegal.

Depends upon which country you are in. In the UK, it is indeed currently illegal to do it but plans are afoot to change it.

In the US it is not illegal, it is allowed under fair use. The irony is that it is illegal to distribute the software required in order to rip an encrypted DVD. The ripping itself is legal, though.
  • Reply 225 of 244
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is very little HD content available for downloading, even more so for streaming because most users do not have the bandwidth to stream HD content.

Many people do not realize that pristine HD content is available for FREE right over the airwaves. Mac users have been taking advantage of El Gato Eye TV for a long time. They sell two versions at the Apple store.

Quote:

This is typical Apple, build something that doesn't support what the rest fo the world uses. You can try to put any slant on this you want but there isn't anyone (except you) that doesnt think this entire display port issues is beyond stupid.

DP is part of the DRM and licensing strategy with the movie studios that will eventually bring high quality videos to the iTunes store.

Quote:

...you may have heard of something called HDMI. You know the standard the rest of the world uses. You cant site quality or premium this time because there isnt any more premium then HDMI.

With HDMI there is no DRM copy protection when you can intercept the video stream. I have an Intensity Pro in my Mac Pro and is supports in and out HD. Video capture of HD etc. That is not what the studios want. Apple needs to work with the studios for the future of the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 226 of 244
    Quote:

Well I am happy Dell had the forthought to include an adapter that I would need to drive the monitor I got. The funny thing about Apple was, they started getting rid of these extra plugs etc, but didn't bother dropping the price to reflect this, it was almost like they were throwing them in for free...

They'd much rather you spend $900 on the cadillac of 24 inchers instead.
  • Reply 227 of 244
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I'm curious. Which would be 'better': Quad core i7 or 8GB of RAM if you could afford only one of them?

Personally, I would definitely go with the Quad Core i7. This is not something that you can upgrade at a later date, but assuming that the standard 4GB is in a pair of 2GB modules you can quite easily get to 8GB down the road and for cheaper than what Apple sells it for. The other advantage is that if you don't absolutely know you need 8GB, you get to possibly wait for the DDR3 price to drop even more before investing in that upgrade.
  • Reply 228 of 244
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It's called the internet.

So, doesn't mean all places are going to ship to everywhere, infact monoprice has only just changed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

$30 for the FIRST pound. Evidently even the obvious statements elude you.

That is damn expensive, I could send a cable from here to the states for about $1.50, why are they 20 times more?
  • Reply 229 of 244
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

They'd much rather you spend $900 on the cadillac of 24 inchers instead.

Or I could buy the Dell IPS 24" monitor for nearly half the price.
  • Reply 230 of 244
    I know Macs don't get viruses, but do you think it's worth it to buy the anti-virus software Apple offers?
  • Reply 231 of 244
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That is damn expensive, I could send a cable from here to the states for about $1.50, why are they 20 times more?

That's probably because they don't use basic airmail. Priority Mail costs a lot more.
  • Reply 232 of 244
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

My point is a TV larger than 38in NEEDS bluray or HD or else the media shown looks quite shabby.

I have an eighth generation 1024x768 Pioneer 42inch Kuro that handles SD (both DVD and DVB) in absolutely stunning fashion. On it's release it also wiped the floor with much of the FullHD sets when it came to 1080p content too.
  • Reply 233 of 244
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avon B7 View Post

I have an eighth generation 1024x768 Pioneer 42inch Kuro that handles SD (both DVD and DVB) in absolutely stunning fashion. On it's release it also wiped the floor with much of the FullHD sets when it came to 1080p content too.

agreed any dvd should work fine

at least 50 percent of reg broadcast tv looks shabby on high end sets

because there so low res.

and because they look shabby on my 24 in aquos

good luck dude

peace
  • Reply 234 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Depends upon which country you are in.

Very few countries - but seeing as the discussion was Netflicks, who cares about other countries.

Quote:

In the UK, it is indeed currently illegal to do it but plans are afoot to change it.

yet they are wanting to create their three strikes law... lol

Quote:

In the US it is not illegal, it is allowed under fair use. The irony is that it is illegal to distribute the software required in order to rip an encrypted DVD. The ripping itself is legal, though.

Ripping a DVD requires breaking encryption, aka circumvention of copy-prevention systems. The DMCA allows fair use, but not freedom to break copy-prevention.

Quote:

By contrast, since the fair use doctrine is not a defense to the act of gaining unauthorized access to a work, the act of circumventing a technological measure in order to gain access is prohibited.

• Reply 235 of 244
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

yet they are wanting to create their three strikes law... lol

Yes, it's part of the same package. Three strikes law seems like the least bad solution to piracy to me.

Quote:

The DMCA allows fair use, but not freedom to break copy-prevention.

To exercise your fair-use rights, you have to break copy-prevention. Therefore, as the DMCA has clauses allowing for fair use, it implies you are allowed to break copy prevention mechanisms for fair use purposes. Where did you get your last quote from? I read a statement from a judge ruling on a DMCA case (I think Real's case relating to their DVD ripper) that explains in more detail what I'm trying to say. I'll see if I can find it.

Here we go:

http://www.appscout.com/2009/08/real...r_use.php#more
  • Reply 236 of 244
    DMCA "exec summary"
  • Reply 237 of 244
    I'm waiting for the 54" IMAC.
  • Reply 238 of 244
    When using the new iMac 27" as an external monitor, say to a Mac Book Pro, is it possible to switch from the MBP video to the iMac video and back, or does this require disconnecting the MBP, or even worse, restarting the iMac?

I fear for the worst, as it looks like Apple is unable to do things simple in this area...\
  • Reply 239 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luke_MacWalker View Post

When using the new iMac 27" as an external monitor, say to a Mac Book Pro, is it possible to switch from the MBP video to the iMac video and back, or does this require disconnecting the MBP, or even worse, restarting the iMac?

I fear for the worst, as it looks like Apple is unable to do things simple in this area...\

Commnand+F2 to switch displays, but I think if you plug it in it will auto-sense and switch right away. The iMac has to be on to get power to the display. I have no idea if the Speakers switch, too, but I doubt it. The iMac PC parts still work in the background but the mouse becomes inactive and most of the keyboard. The only keys that work are brightness, rw/play/pause/ff buttons, volume buttons and the F2 display input switcher.

(as best as I can remember it)
  • Reply 240 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanbridgwood View Post

I've given them over £1,000 in the last two months alone...!

Careful! You misquoted me!

Follow the links