Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Comments

• Reply 181 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? I would expect no jailbroken phones.

? This would include at this time the iPhone, Android, Blackberry.

? Not sure about other devices but WinMo, Symbian and Maemo would nice additions.

? Hacking would be done by WiFI or Bluetooth. Carrier hacking makes little sense.

? If all that failed then an app could be installed to see if malicious software would work. For the iPhone this setup would require a slightly different setup, but just as usable because it?s potential possible for Apple to miss something in their sandboxing.

? Next, access to the devices? native browser to see if accessing a malicious link can gain one access.

? If 3rd-party apps can use interpreted code then so be it, if not, then no.

? If that proves to not work then a USB connection method will be utilized, but without getting the unlock command.

? Root access is the ideal goal, but getting access to other areas of the device would be acceptable if no one else gets farther.

None of these things have to do with getting remote access to a machine to control or run a virus that is unseen by the OS. These are people real coders who have physical access. With OS X they have the install disc and are looking through the files. Creating an EFI emulator for BIOS is not a security gained problem. Adding code to make the installer think this machine is acceptable is not a security breach. Adding drivers to support different HW is not a security breach.

If you want to go that route, not that OS X has no passkey or phone home system. Something that has been broke for as long as I can remember with Windows, but that is besides the point. You?re arguing two different things. Hell, Darwin is open source. Next are you going to tell us that iTunes has been breached because Pre can spoof an iPod USB ID? or that other apps can free access the open iTune DB XML files?

Ah, you did go there. You are arguing too many things that don?t go together. What the Pre does is not a security breach. What OSx86 Project does is not a security breach. These are hacking in the sense they are hacking away find solutions to problems but they don?t lead to malware being installed. Now, if I installed OS X on a machine, set it up the machine I could install any malware I choose because I am the one who has physical access to the device. Windows viruses mostly work by getting the user to do it for them, but Windows has been notoriously bad about where apps can run and what they can access. This is less of a problem with *nx.

Some things to ponder? Apple had more viruses before OS X when it had less marketshare than it does now. OS X also doesn?t have a percentage of the viruses to reflect a percentage of their marketshare. Most PCs are very, very cheap, Unix-based systems are used for servers with a lot of valuable information on them. On the consumer side, OS X is on92% of all machines in the US over $1000. That means people with money in the country of largest GDP. Sounds like Unix-based systems would be the idea machines to target.

These all go together. Gaining access to something that has security in place is a security breach. The iTunes/Pre situation is a security breach if it wasn't Apple wouldn't be putting out patches to try and keep Pre from syncing. That is a breach in security.

Jailbreaking an iPhone is a security breach.

Less virus problem on a Mac now most likely due to going to a true 64bit OS same goes for Windows. Most viruses are written for 32bit systems.
  • Reply 182 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

These all go together. Gaining access to something that has security in place is a security breach. The iTunes/Pre situation is a security breach if it wasn't Apple wouldn't be putting out patches to try and keep Pre from syncing. That is a breach in security.

Jailbreaking an iPhone is a security breach.

Less virus problem on a Mac now most likely due to going to a true 64bit OS same goes for Windows. Most viruses are written for 32bit systems.

Now you're simply repeating issues that have already been refuted. Oh, and do you think that most viruses being written for 32 bit systems has anything to do with the fact that most systems are 32 bit systems, Mac and Windows? Your reasoning today is even weaker than it usually is.
  • Reply 183 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's always fun to watch the trolls deny they are emotional. Clearly, you are extremely worked up and angry. No, it's not about love, it's about hate and jealousy for you.

That just doesn't make any logical sense. If it were simply more attack/security hole, one patch would take care of them all. More patches indicates more holes. There's simply no arguing around that. You've admitted the point you are arguing against, not that we expect you to admit that you've admitted it.

No, I don't expect you to leave. Your entire self-worth is based on never admitting you are wrong, and leaving would be a tacit admission of that. Sorry that you don't appreciate my digs at your expense, but, hey, that's one of the hazards of trolling, you end up the object of ridicule. Don't get too angry, now, we don't want your head to explode.

LOL. Your only a troll if you don't use the product you talk about. Which makes you far more of a troll then I will ever be.

If I am wrong I have no problem admitting it. I have never said once that Windows is perfect and OSX is just hell. Both have their strong points and their weak point. You are the one that has problems admitting their are issues with Apple products, thats your issue not mine.

Apple fanboi mentality is cult like so emotion is far more of an issue for you guys then it is for me.

Fact is I own more Apple products then you do and I have owned more then you will be able to afford in our lifetime. Just because I dont get down on my knees and kiss them everyday does't make me a troll.

The fact that you think Windows networking is complicated just makes me wonder about your technical ablility. Maybe you should sign up for AOL I hear that make it easier for you to use the scary internet...LOL
  • Reply 184 of 248
    Quote:

Now you're simply repeating issues that have already been refuted. Oh, and do you think that most viruses being written for 32 bit systems has anything to do with the fact that most systems are 32 bit systems, Mac and Windows. You're reasoning today is even weaker than it usually is.

Ah yet again a myth that you can't back up. Years ago most Windows systems were 32bit but over the last 2 years 64bit systems are becoming the standard. All you have to do is go to any site that sells systems and look at what comes with them 64 or 32bit. You will see 64bit is now standard and it will just be a matter of time once people trade up where 64bit will be what everyone is running.

I believe HP and Dell don't even offer 32bit as an option anymore.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...s&cs=19&~ck=mn

Look across the screen at the OS option they are all 64bit
  • Reply 185 of 248
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, most malware is written for Windows.

There are no OS X viruses in the wild. Nothing that requires any antivirus of any kind. A lot of us even have the OS X firewall turned off. Save for around two trojans (one of which doesn't really do anything) - let's be fair, and a handful of proof-of-concepts that show up every year as part of contests, and the like, that never make it out of the lab.

The fact that Mac OS X represents around 5% of the worldwide installed base of computers might explain why there are fewer Mac viruses. But it wouldn't explain why there are none. There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of PC viruses, a handful of Mac OS 9 viruses, and not one for Mac OS X. There are mrore for Linux than there are for OS X. There were more for the Mac OS before OS X, when Apple had much smaller market share.

Even counting those two little Trojan horsies (two?? Might as well be zero), no malware in the wild for Macs. Nothing. There are over 50 million Mac users. It's been nine years. And nothing. The obscurity argument would hold if there were a few hundred out there in the wild. But there's nothing.

We're currently surfing the net with impunity. In complete safety because hackers just don't seem to care about the 50 million or so Mac users out there or Apple's "smug" commercials and entire ad campaign that's been going on for years?

Obscurity? I'll give that to you, even though it's hardly valid. May MS continue to market a poor, back-asswards copy of OS X that runs on every single POS box out there and presents the biggest target, while Apple remains in control of the segregated, exclusive, and oh-so-special-with-sugar-on-top Premium segment.

Either way, malware will continue to be written for Windows with no let-up. Especially now. And if Windows 7 is the Second Coming like you and the other Windows sufferers say it is, then Mac users will be surfing free and easy for a long time to come. Hey, if it works for you, it works for me, too.

Wait a minute.......you have been on these forums telling how great and "premium" the Mac is and how much "mind share" Apple has, yet you don't think hackers are writing things for the Mac?

At the 2009 Pwn 2 Own the Mac was hacked in 10 seconds! By a known exploit that was sent to Apple and ignored. The exploit can be embedded into web pages and then used to install a Trojan.

The Mac was compromised FIRST for 3 years running! It was hacked before the Vista machine.

Do you know whether you have a Trojan?

How do you know? You are not running Anti Virus software...

How do you know whether your Mac is being used for Denial of service attacks?

How do you know? You don't know. So which is more memorable to attack and control the run of the mill Windows machine or maybe a "premium" "mind share" grabbing Mac. Apple is picking up more and more market share. That is great news. I love Apple products and I am not writing this to bash them in anyway at all.

Here is an excerpt from Charlie Miller interview. The guy that hacked the Mac 2 years in a row.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

Why Safari? Why didn?t you go after IE or Safari?

It?s really simple. Safari on the Mac is easier to exploit. The things that Windows do to make it harder (for an exploit to work), Macs don?t do. Hacking into Macs is so much easier. You don?t have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you?d find in Windows.

It?s more about the operating system than the (target) program. Firefox on Mac is pretty easy too. The underlying OS doesn?t have anti-exploit stuff built into it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>

Interview link:http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2941
  • Reply 186 of 248
    Quote:

Fact is I own more Apple products then you do and I have owned more then you will be able to afford in our lifetime. Just because I dont get down on my knees and kiss them everyday does't make me a troll.

The fact that you think Windows networking is complicated just makes me wonder about your technical ablility. Maybe you should sign up for AOL I hear that make it easier for you to use the scary internet...LOL

See, this is exactly the inferiority complex I'm talking about, rearing its ugly head. I always love it when trolls start boasting about their income and technical prowess. But, sorry, your arguments are weak, your reasoning is weak, and your bitterness at life obvious.
  • Reply 187 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Wait a minute.......you have been on these forums telling how great and "premium" the Mac is and how much "mind share" Apple has, yet you don't think hackers are writing things for the Mac?

At the 2009 Pwn 2 Own the Mac was hacked in 10 seconds! By a known exploit that was sent to Apple and ignored. The exploit can be embedded into web pages and then used to install a Trojan.

The Mac was compromised FIRST for 3 years running! It was hacked before the Vista machine.

Do you know whether you have a Trojan?

How do you know? You are not running Anti Virus software...

How do you know whether your Mac is being used for Denial of service attacks?

How do you know? You don't know. So which is more memorable to attack and control the run of the mill Windows machine or maybe a "premium" "mind share" grabbing Mac. Apple is picking up more and more market share. That is great news. I love Apple products and I am not writing this to bash them in anyway at all.

Here is an excerpt from Charlie Miller interview. The guy that hacked the Mac 2 years in a row.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

Why Safari? Why didn?t you go after IE or Safari?

It?s really simple. Safari on the Mac is easier to exploit. The things that Windows do to make it harder (for an exploit to work), Macs don?t do. Hacking into Macs is so much easier. You don?t have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you?d find in Windows.

It?s more about the operating system than the (target) program. Firefox on Mac is pretty easy too. The underlying OS doesn?t have anti-exploit stuff built into it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>

Interview link:http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2941

Very good points, how do they know if they have a trojan or not? Everyone thinks that every virus detroys your system when in fact most are harmless. People can run with a virus on their system for years and it has little to no impact on performance
  • Reply 188 of 248
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Palm is relabeling their USB ID to say it?s an iPod. This is a very simple thing to achieve. It has nothing to do with hacking into iTunes or OS X. you rewrite and USB device to say it?s a different item. All the iTunes does is register the device in the side bar since it?s correctly labeled as an iPod. There is no hacking of iTunes. I can make an USB key drive show up as a Zune if i use its ID. It?s not a big deal.

I can?t respond to your posts anymore. You?re not objective, to twist everything and you try to tie arguments together that disparate. This is either on purpose for the sake of trolling or you really don?t know the difference. Either way, I?m out?. Have a good weekend.
  • Reply 189 of 248
    Quote:

Very good points, how do they know if they have a trojan or not?

We don't need to know. We're running OS X.

Hackers don't care about us, remember?
  • Reply 190 of 248
    Quote:

Very good points, how do they know if they have a trojan or not? Everyone thinks that every virus detroys your system when in fact most are harmless. People can run with a virus on their system for years and it has little to no impact on performance

That is 100% correct. Not all malware or viruses will give themselves away. Why would it? Malware can install a Trojan and just lay dormant until it is wakened by the malware writer then used for whatever they want. They can then install other malware like key loggers or be used to launch denial of service attacks. A denial of service attack is just like a ping command. Unless you are monitoring outbound traffic from your network you will not know it is going on.

With Apple getting more and more market share the infection rate for Macs will increase accordingly.

That is just fact.......
  • Reply 191 of 248
    Quote:

We don't need to know. We're running OS X.

Hackers don't care about us, remember?

Ahhhh....ignorance is bliss.......
  • Reply 192 of 248
    Quote:

Ahhhh....ignorance is bliss.......

Nothing to protect against.

Not my fault there's been nothing for the past nine years, and that by the looks of it, there'll continue to be nothing - especially if Windows 7 sells well.
  • Reply 193 of 248
    Quote:

T

With Apple getting more and more market share the infection rate for Macs will increase accordingly.

That is just fact.......

Except they're not.

At what percentage will they begin? 12%? 15%? Will we even see 15% anytime soon?

And how big is OS X's market share realistically going to get in the market, given closed licensing, a closed business model, and price?

After all, didn't Ballmer blow off about how Windows 7 will take back all the market share Macs have gained since 2006? My my, Windows 7's greatness alone should keep market share in check, right? Isn't that what Windows sufferers have been saying for months now? Hell, Windows 7's already outsold Leopard, right? Not that that statsitic means anything, but it's something that's apparently meaningful to Windows sufferers.

So what's it going to be? Rocketing Mac marketshare, or Windows 7's popularity? Don't tell me that Windows 7 will fail to get back all that lost market share and reclaim some of those customers with $1000+ to spend! I mean, come on, it's Windows 7!
  • Reply 194 of 248
    Quote:

Just to follow up on this and point out that it indicates you lack all credibility, or are completely irrational...

We'll ignore the fact that you have no way of knowing my income or the number of Apple or other products I own, this being just a stupid boast on your part.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you own absolutely scads of Apple products. Your entire argument is that Windows is better than Mac OS (and that the iPhone sucks because it can be jailbroken). So, by reason, this implies that you own even more Windows products, otherwise, why do you own more Apple products than Windows products if Apple sucks so much and Windows is so great? In fact why would you own any Apple products at all? So, you apparently can't resist buying hardware, Mac and Windows based, and you have absolutely piles of computers around your house, most of which you never use because, well, how many computers can you productively use, and there must just be dozens of each, which would be entirely irrational. So, you're either completely irrational and buy all this Apple stuff despite the fact that it sucks in comparison to Windows. Or, you lack all credibility and these are just empty words.

I'm willing to go both ways on the question: irrational and lacking in credibility.
  • Reply 195 of 248
    Quote:

Ah yet again a myth that you can't back up. Years ago most Windows systems were 32bit but over the last 2 years 64bit systems are becoming the standard. All you have to do is go to any site that sells systems and look at what comes with them 64 or 32bit. You will see 64bit is now standard and it will just be a matter of time once people trade up where 64bit will be what everyone is running.

I believe HP and Dell don't even offer 32bit as an option anymore.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...s&cs=19&~ck=mn

Look across the screen at the OS option they are all 64bit

Are you really making this pathetic argument? Seriously? You actually think there are more 64 bit systems in the installed base than 32 bit? Based on what Dell is currently selling? You offer this as a rational argument?

OK, you are obviously less intelligent than I was willing to give you credit for being.
  • Reply 196 of 248
    Quote:

Except they're not.

At what percentage will they begin? 12%? 15%? Will we even see 15% anytime soon?

And how big is OS X's market share realistically going to get in the market, given closed licensing, a closed business model, and price?

After all, didn't Ballmer blow off about how Windows 7 will take back all the market share Macs have gained since 2006? My my, Windows 7's greatness alone should keep market share in check, right? Isn't that what Windows sufferers have been saying for months now? Hell, Windows 7's already outsold Leopard, right? Not that that statsitic means anything, but it's something that's apparently meaningful to Windows sufferers.

So what's it going to be? Rocketing Mac marketshare, or Windows 7's popularity? Don't tell me that Windows 7 will fail to get back all that lost market share and reclaim some of those customers with $1000+ to spend! I mean, come on, it's Windows 7!

But see you miss my point entirely. I am not say how great Windows 7 is or will be. I am not bashing Apple or the Mac.

I posted factual information about Macs. You just take everything personally and you always do.

Mac are susceptible to all kinds of malware and Trojans just like Windows. Except there TONS more malware and viruses for Windows because of the larger target audience. But make no mistake the Mac is not a secure a OS as you think.

It has been hacked in less time than a Vista machine!

So don't take this as an attack on you or Apple....don't take it personal...we are just discussing technology and computer hardware and software......
  • Reply 197 of 248
    Quote:

Palm is relabeling their USB ID to say it?s an iPod. This is a very simple thing to achieve. It has nothing to do with hacking into iTunes or OS X. you rewrite and USB device to say it?s a different item. All the iTunes does is register the device in the side bar since it?s correctly labeled as an iPod. There is no hacking of iTunes. I can make an USB key drive show up as a Zune if i use its ID. It?s not a big deal.

I can?t respond to your posts anymore. You?re not objective, to twist everything and you try to tie arguments together that disparate. This is either on purpose for the sake of trolling or you really don?t know the difference. Either way, I?m out?. Have a good weekend.

Being able to remote access a system is not the only form of security breach. Anytime a company tries to prevent something and someone can get around it that is a security breach.
  • Reply 198 of 248
    Quote:

Are you really making this pathetic argument? Seriously? You actually think there are more 64 bit systems in the installed base than 32 bit? Based on what Dell is currently selling? You offer this as a rational argument?

OK, you are obviously less intelligent than I was willing to give you credit for being.

Because of the amount of 5-6 year old XP systems on the market there are still more 32bit systems right now. As people and companies update everything will move to 64bit. The move to 64bit OS has only really been popular in the last two years. The issue with 64bit on the Windows side had to do with driver availablility. Now that the driver issues has been resolved everything will be going 64bit.

When you have a huge user based compared to Apple it takes longer to covert everyone over. This is were market share also plays a role.

This is not based on what Dell is selling now, HP, Dell, Sony and others have been moving to 64bit for two years now. You would know that if you were commenting on something you actually used.
  • Reply 199 of 248
    Quote:

Just to follow up on this and point out that it indicates you lack all credibility, or are completely irrational...

We'll ignore the fact that you have no way of knowing my income or the number of Apple or other products I own, this being just a stupid boast on your part.

Its certainly a good educated guess seeing I have been using Apple systems for 20 years not only for business but for personal use. I work in an environment where one system is worth 21 million not the entire infrastructure.
  • Reply 200 of 248
    Quote:

Palm is relabeling their USB ID to say it’s an iPod. This is a very simple thing to achieve. It has nothing to do with hacking into iTunes or OS X. you rewrite and USB device to say it’s a different item. All the iTunes does is register the device in the side bar since it’s correctly labeled as an iPod. There is no hacking of iTunes. I can make an USB key drive show up as a Zune if i use its ID. It’s not a big deal.

I can’t respond to your posts anymore. You’re not objective, to twist everything and you try to tie arguments together that disparate. This is either on purpose for the sake of trolling or you really don’t know the difference. Either way, I’m out…. Have a good weekend.

I was reading estremeskater post about Pre syncing with iTunes as security breach and thought more BS from this person, glad you set him straight Solipsism.

He suppose to be in IT industry and says he reads all up to date Apple issues going on, obviously not!

I never been on MS web site to discuss their products, since I do not like them, I use MS products for work and always frustrated, so made a decision, not to be cheap and buy a quality computer system (software and hardware) that give me less issues and I go to ONE computer company to resolve any issues.

Ever though I do not like MS, I would not troll on their web site, just childish and honestly and would show I am jealous, which is not the case.

MS does have 1-2 potentially good products, but the pain and frustration outweighs the good of the products.

One of those products could be Windows 7, but I wait for it to mature more before taking the plunge, since I still have bitter taste from Vista.