Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Comments

• Reply 221 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The simple reality is that there is no malware for OS X, and there's over 100,000 for Windows. And counting.

Been this way for years. Every year since 2001 we were told that that tidal wave of malware for OS X was just around the corner and we'd be toast. Every year since 2001 we were told that as OS X gains market share, malware will proliferate.

And here we are nearly nine years later. Still nothing. Hackers have had NINE YEARS to shut Apple up. Hasn't happened. Doesn't make one whit of difference why.

You can talk about security, about how easy it is to hack whichever platform, etc. It makes no damn difference when, yet again, Mac users will have another year of surfing the net unimpeded. And Apple will have a wonderful time, entirely justified, with promoting OS X as the safest platform. And they're right.
  • Reply 222 of 248
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The simple reality is that there is no malware for OS X, and there's over 100,000 for Windows. And counting.

Been this way for years. Every year since 2001 we were told that that tidal wave of malware for OS X was just around the corner and we'd be toast. Every year since 2001 we were told that as OS X gains market share, malware will proliferate.

And here we are nearly nine years later. Still nothing. Hackers have had NINE YEARS to shut Apple up. Hasn't happened. Doesn't make one whit of difference why.

You can talk about security, about how easy it is to hack whichever platform, etc. It makes no damn difference when, yet again, Mac users will have another year of surfing the net unimpeded. And Apple will have a wonderful time, entirely justified, with promoting OS X as the safest platform. And they're right.

The Mac gets compromised in 2 minutes in 2008. Then gets hacked in 10 seconds in 2009 at the Pwn 2 Own. The guy who hacked the Mac for 3 years running tells everyone that he reported the exploit to Apple for 3 years and the exploit has not been patched yet to his knowledge.

The same hacker becomes a household name get tons of publicity and notoriety. The exploit get posted all over the internet. You admit that you don't use any kind of anti virus because of a false sense of security and hatred for Windows. The now famous hacker Charlie Miller tells everyone in the post 2009 Pwn 2 Own that OS X is inherently less secure than Windows

Here is the article again:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

Why Safari? Why didn’t you go after IE or Safari?

It’s really simple. Safari on the Mac is easier to exploit. The things that Windows do to make it harder (for an exploit to work), Macs don’t do. Hacking into Macs is so much easier. You don’t have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you’d find in Windows.

It’s more about the operating system than the (target) program. Firefox on Mac is pretty easy too. The underlying OS doesn’t have anti-exploit stuff built into it.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<

Link to the full article:http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2941

Here is another link to article explaining how Apple and Macs are becoming targets because they are becoming trophys to brag about after they are hacked:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=995&tag=rbxccnbzd1

Here is another article: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-251586.html

Apple even recommends all users run anti virus software since 2008!:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...mac_av_advice/

I think there is some mis information concerning Macs and viruses. There are no known viruses in the wild currently targeting Macs. BUT a Trojan is not defined as a virus!!!!

Do a Google search for Trojans on Macs and see everything you come up with you will be surprised.

And if you did get a Trojan how would you know you have one????
  • Reply 223 of 248
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

What is really interesting about all this rhetoric is the analogy about the other guys gets all the attention so they won't bother with us......

Do you lock the door to your house at night? Do you live in a safe neighborhood? Why locked your door? Have you ever been robbed? No? Then why lock you front door at night.

Do you drive a nice car? Do you have a car alarm?

Here are the most stolen cars in the US for 2009:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...t-Stolen-Cars/

So according to your analogy....unless you drive on of those cars you don't need a car alarm or even have to locked your doors.

It is just amazing to me that Mac users have no sense of security at all....

Again I am not trying to bash Apple or MS or say that one is better than the other. I use both Apple products and MS products and they both do a great job for what they were designed to do.

But to have the attitude that just because I have a Mac I won't get compromised is irresponsible.
  • Reply 224 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

The chances of the average Mac user getting any form of malware, on a vanilla, barebones OS X install with the firewall turned off - even when surfing questionable websites, is nearly zero. In fact, they're probably more likely to experience a kernel panic - which most users will never experience.

If YOU, with all the security measues you put in place, are unlikely to get a Trojan or any other malware, then imagine how much *less* likely I am to get one.

This "how do you know aren't infected" nonsense is hardly worth discussing.

I thought this was all about market share and how hackers "don't care" about us? Well if we have such miniscule market share and if no one cares to taget us, then why the hell even bother asking me whether I can be sure I don't have a Trojan, or how I am to know?? There's really nothing to infect us in the first place!

Will that change anytime soon? I don't know, it's been this way for nine years now. And Windows will remain the biggest target, and OS X's market share may increase somewhat but do you see it getting to 15%? Is that even the "magic number"? I mean, Windows sucks, but it has to suck *hard* for Apple to grab that much share. The Premium market is only so big. And really, it doesn't need to get a whole lot bigger for Apple to continue to do very well and for us to continue to get the experience we're getting. And how long will that take to get to 15%? 20%? I don't see it happening soon.

So when you ask me a ridiculous question like "how do you know you're not infected", keep in mind that it's like worrying about getting struck by lighting, *inside*, on a rainy day.
  • Reply 225 of 248
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

I think there is some mis information concerning Macs and viruses. There are no known viruses in the wild currently targeting Macs. BUT a Trojan is not defined as a virus!!!!

Do a Google search for Trojans on Macs and see everything you come up with you will be surprised.

A Trojan is not defined as a virus because it's not a virus. It's also not an example of someone hacking into a system. It's a type of social engineering exploit, which, by definition, bypasses system security with the help of the user. Unknown trojans are virtually impossible to defend against on any OS. There are basically a handful of Trojans on OS X, as you can see from the list here:

http://www.iantivirus.com/threats/

Many of the 113 threat listed at the above link are for "Classic", so aren't OS X issues, and the list includes variations of the same threats as separate entries, as well as "proof of concept" threats that don't exist in the wild. Now, go compare that list against a list of the thousands of threats for Windows -- you can no doubt find one at Symantec -- and tell me which system has a serious malware problem.

It's sort of odd that some would proudly assert the number of threats as evidence of the superiority of a platform: proclaiming that it's because of their marketshare and proves they are best. And, while it is partly because of marketshare that Windows has more threats, it's also partly because many malware authors specifically target Microsoft because of personal animus and partly because Windows has always simply presented many avenues of attack with a very large soft underbelly.

It's pretty clear that Windows has a serious malware problem, and it's also pretty clear that Mac OS X does not. Hacks, like jailbreaking, that require physical access and time aren't relevant to either system. or to the discussion, because there is no security on any system when the attacker has physical access. Rational people realize that Windows is a bag of hurt for this and so many other reasons, and that's the bottom line here: Vista/7 will continue to be attacked relentlessly and OS X will continue to have a tiny trickle of attacks against it.
  • Reply 226 of 248
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

iTunes and Qucktime have been exploited and Sarfari for Windows was hacked in 24 hours. Which shows Apple sucks at security.

So, if a couple of hacks shows that, "Apple sucks at security," what do the thousands upon thousands of Windows hacks show us?

Really, I don't think you're bringing your A-game to this discussion. Oh, wait, nonsense is your A-game.
  • Reply 227 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, if a couple of hacks shows that, "Apple sucks at security," what do the thousands upon thousands of Windows hacks show us?

Really, I don't think you're bringing your A-game to this discussion. Oh, wait, nonsense is your A-game.

Thousands of hacks only means that Windows is attacked far more, it doesn't mean OSX is more secure. Which is a concept that isn't holding between you ears. I have dropped down to my C-game and you still can't grasp a simple concept. Not sure how much lower I need to go to get on your level.
  • Reply 228 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Thousands of hacks only means that Windows is attacked far more, it doesn't mean OSX is more secure. Which is a concept that isn't holding between you ears. I have dropped down to my C-game and you still can't grasp a simple concept. Not sure how much lower I need to go to get on your level.

Thousands of hacks and being attacked "far more" means that Windows is less secure, in the real world, and Windows 7 will continue to be a security nightmare for users and administrators. You can try to dance around that fact all you want, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

I don't think you have any game at all. Your argument is that a handful of hacks means that OS X sucks, but that thousands of hacks on Windows only means thousands of hacks on Windows? I think what we can conclude based on that is that your ability to reason logically is nonexistent.
  • Reply 229 of 248
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thousands of hacks and being attacked "far more" means that Windows is less secure, in the real world, and Windows 7 will continue to be a security nightmare for users and administrators. You can try to dance around that fact all you want, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

I don't think you have any game at all. Your argument is that a handful of hacks means that OS X sucks, but that thousands of hacks on Windows only means thousands of hacks on Windows? I think what we can conclude based on that is that your ability to reason logically is nonexistent.

Another set of iPhone’s have been attacked, but this time it’s serious. THe attacker Rick Rolls the unsuspecting iPhones with a home screen picture of Rick Astley. OH THE HUMANITY.

Seriously, it’s the same exploit as before which requires the user to jailbreak their iPhone and then turn on SSH while not actually changing the default SSH password. These type of hacks do reinforce Apple’s stance that normal costumers should not be jail breaking their phones.I’m sure my parents don’t know what SSH means or what it’s used for, much less the potential dangers for keeping it on with the keys under the mat.
  • Reply 230 of 248
    Quote:

Windows isn't simply exploited because it's the biggest target, but because historically, Windows had an absolutely dismal security track record, mostly before Vista. MS was colossally negligent when it came to security. For chrissakes, in 2001, well into the "internet age", XP shipped with 5 open ports.
  • Reply 231 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Another set of iPhone’s have been attacked, but this time it’s serious. THe attacker Rick Rolls the unsuspecting iPhones with a home screen picture of Rick Astley. OH THE HUMANITY.

Seriously, it’s the same exploit as before which requires the user to jailbreak their iPhone and then turn on SSH while not actually changing the default SSH password. These type of hacks do reinforce Apple’s stance that normal costumers should not be jail breaking their phones.I’m sure my parents don’t know what SSH means or what it’s used for, much less the potential dangers for keeping it on with the keys under the mat.

I guess there's a reason Apple advises users against compromising their own hardware, which in and of itself is a pain to do anyway. Imagine taking the effort (and the average user needs detailed instructions) to deliberately make your device vulnerable.
  • Reply 232 of 248
    Quote:

I guess there's a reason Apple advises users against compromising their own hardware, which in and of itself is a pain to do anyway. Imagine taking the effort (and the average user needs detailed instructions) to deliberately make your device vulnerable.

The details are pretty simple. You do search on public WiFi for devices with SHH open. When you find one you try the default password Alpine. This kind of script is child?s play to make. Why the community hasn?t rewritten the Cydia home page to warn abut this or have the OpenSSH installer use a nice little GUI to change the password for you before continuing. I fear tis silly hacks will not convert many people to think ahead.
  • Reply 233 of 248
    Quote:

The details are pretty simple. You do search on public WiFi for devices with SHH open. When you find one you try the default password Alpine. This kind of script is child’s play to make. Why the community hasn’t rewritten the Cydia home page to warn abut this or have the OpenSSH installer use a nice little GUI to change the password for you before continuing. I fear tis silly hacks will not convert many people to think ahead.

I wouldn't trust the haxie community with my toaster, never mind an expensive piece of tech. But that's just me. I've lived (and suffered) through the days of XP customization. That was plenty.
  • Reply 234 of 248
    Quote:

I wouldn't trust the haxie community with my toaster, never mind an expensive piece of tech. But that's just me. I've lived (and suffered) through the days of XP customization. That was plenty.

Speaking of, beware of this toaster: http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/det...r&esvtk_s=bgss
  • Reply 235 of 248
    Quote:

Speaking of, beware of this toaster: http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/det...r&esvtk_s=bgss

Now THAT is a collector's item.

A plate which burns the phrase ''Frak Off'' on a piece of toast

A plate which burns an image of a Cylon on a piece of toast

The red cylon eye lights up on the front of the toaster and moves across the helmet

Talk about features!
  • Reply 236 of 248
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

It couldn't happen to a nicer company and a more talented CEO.

Now that depends on who do you ask.

But since this is an Apple forum...
  • Reply 237 of 248
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Of course Windows 7 is selling much faster the first few days. It was pent up demand. Not for the reason usually posted though. With Vista, people with XP were satisfied with what they had because it was finally working, sort of. Well Vista was a true dog.

Only at introduction, but was fixed time ago.

Quote:

So much that Microsoft started pushing 7 immediately. three years later here it is.

Well 3 years is sort of normal refresh time for Windows OS - only XP to Vista took uncharacteristic 5 years.

Non-NT line:

Win 3.0 - 1990

Win 3.1 - 1992

Win 95 - 1995

Win 98 - 1998

Win ME - 2000

NT Line:

Win NT3.1 - 1993

Win NT4 - 1996

Win 2000 - 2000

Win XP - 2002 (or was it 2001?)

Win Vista - 2006

Win 7 - 2009

If you add in between Win 3.11, 98SE, NT 3.5 and NT3.51... you'll realise that 3 years is actually longer than average period for Windows refresh.

How often does Apple release new versions of OSX, anyway? If 3 years or less - does that mean Apple also must rush out new versions..?

Quote:

Well over the last three years anyone who bought a new computer got Vista.

Retail... probably. But business shops through supply channels, and most will offer Vista Business machines preinstalled with XP.

Quote:

If they were not savvy enough to down grade it to XP the were stuck. Those are the people buying 7.

No. You don't have to be too savy to pop in XP recovery disk(s) and reimage your PC. Most PC with downgrade option that I have seen come with recovery image that already has all the drivers and apps that normally come with computer (bloat included, unfortunately), so all user has to do is to swap CD/DVD when prompted.

However, you do need to have Vista with downgrade rights, and that excludes Home Basic and Home Premium - most common among home users.

Quote:

Once these people who were trapped using a system they paid for but hated have up graded to the new Vista, it will taper off greatly.

This is another myth I haven't experienced in reality - and I do work in IT support role. I've yet to see any significant number of Vista users who hate it. Most haters among PC users don't use Vista at all, and hate it because they were told how awful it is by someone else (usually not using Vista as well). I'd say there is big fear of change (and new things to be learned) causing people to look for the reason not to change, and that is probably caused to a certain extend by prolonged period of XP stagnation. Vista broke the ice with some great causalities inflicted upon itself, and while so much people hate it for stirring the water, it also helped change state of consumers' mind - that change is inevitable... thus preparing ground for much easier penetration of 7.

Quote:

Those with XP machines would have to upgrade their computer and they are clearly not doing so, as the numbers show.

Why would they? If XP was running fast enough on their existing hardware, likely will 7 as well. Some will pop in new graphics, more RAM... but replace whole PC just because new OS is out, unlikely.
  • Reply 238 of 248
    Quote:

I think you are missing some very important facts about Windows in an enterprise environment.

One first is Active Directory integration. Macs don't integrate well into Active Directory.

Also the ability to write Group Policy Objects in AD that control computer behavior.

At my work they are testing the 100 iPhones in our work environment but they are finding that the iPhone is so much more insecure that a BB. The companies data is not protected as well as on a BB with device encryption. Also we have tons of products and applications that bind and tie into our other MS solutions and Exchange is certainly one of them. Apple has no competing products for anything close to what MS does for enterprise companies.

Of course Macs don't integrate well into Active Directory. What would be the point in Microsoft making it easy for a competitor to play nice with their systems. I would like to think that Apple will not make the same kinds of mistakes that Novell made in the 1990s. Where I work, Active directory membership for a Mac is needed for convenient file access on a windows server, and nothing more. Are your Macs members of OD as well (golden triangle)?

Regarding your other (valid) points, I certainly hope that Apple will continue to play catch up in the enterprise server room. My guess is that Apple is spending most of its resources in maintaining domination in the portable device space (Iphone, Ipod, etc.). Enterprise desktops/servers and corresponding applications are not a high priority with Apple - for now, anyways.
  • Reply 239 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Only at introduction, but was fixed time ago.

Well 3 years is sort of normal refresh time for Windows OS - only XP to Vista took uncharacteristic 5 years.

Non-NT line:

Win 3.0 - 1990

Win 3.1 - 1992

Win 95 - 1995

Win 98 - 1998

Win ME - 2000

NT Line:

Win NT3.1 - 1993

Win NT4 - 1996

Win 2000 - 2000

Win XP - 2002 (or was it 2001?)

Win Vista - 2006

Win 7 - 2009

Nothing to do with your arguments, but Vista went retail on Jan 30, 2007, and XP went retail on Oct 25, 2001. Your second guess about XP was right.

Man, I feel old . . .
  • Reply 240 of 248
    Nice to hear that MS is finally taking the effort to improve. This will motivate Apple to make better products. Consumers win!!! The adoption isn't as quick as you may think. But I'm pretty sure the corporate demand will pick up eventually. The company I work for has 1000+ computers working on XP. I know the IT department has used some people as testers for Windows 7 since the betas have been out. The upgrade will be coming eventually, but it takes time for IT to test and get all of our proprietary software working on it.