Doom game creator suggests Apple embarrassed about iPhone gaming

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 184
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He has the right to comment about game and software design, which are what all of those honors are about.

It doesn't make him a mind reader, or particularly able to intuit what Apple may or may not be "embarrassed" about.

In my book, an "amazing understanding of math and physics" describes someone like Richard Feynman.

He was talking about gaming and software design and how Apple views them. He has some insight into that having dealt with apple off and on over the years. He knows a thing or 2 about how apple sees gaming fitting into their business. He was also just expressing his opinion.

Just because Feynman is a renowned physicist does not take anything away from how Carmack has applied those things to interactive art. I would stand by the "amazing understanding of math and physics" regardless of Feynman. You might as well throw Hawking and Einstein in there too - I wasn't comparing him to the icons of theoretical physics or anything.

I'm not starting a fan club or anything, I'm just saying give the man his due, and the other guys comment about 15 minutes of fame is just silly.

:-)
  • Reply 182 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He has the right to comment about game and software design, which are what all of those honors are about.

It doesn't make him a mind reader, or particularly able to intuit what Apple may or may not be "embarrassed" about.

In my book, an "amazing understanding of math and physics" describes someone like Richard Feynman.

Agreed.

Sorry, but Carmack isn't going to wow any respectable Mechanical Engineer, Physicist, Applied & Pure Mathematician on his skills.

His strength was using quasi-physics and discrete mathematics which computers are designed for to get as much efficiency as possible out of the hardware limitations of it's time.

Game engines are incorporating more and more actual physics laws into their engines as CPUs/GPGPUs are capable of handling actual non-linear dynamics.

Carmack was a visible voice when OpenGL was waning in use for the gaming industry. After the actual game hardware companies re-embraced and moved forward the standards, including new advances, he ceased to be such a visible figure.

I'm more impressed with Game Physics Simulation software like Bullet than I am with Carmack's engines.

Anyone who is serious about Science should have Feynman's Lectures in hardbound.
  • Reply 183 of 184
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well he's certainly a far cry from being right. I honestly don't know what to make of Carmack's statements. He's either clairvoyant, or he's just guessing, or someone told him something. Pick your poison.

Carmack has dealt with Apple quite a bit over the years. He has some insight into this. At least enough to form and share an educated opinion about what he's observed. Previous posters have said he's not a guy that runs his mouth without knowing what he's talking about.
  • Reply 184 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Carmack has dealt with Apple quite a bit over the years. He has some insight into this. At least enough to form and share an educated opinion about what he's observed. Previous posters have said he's not a guy that runs his mouth without knowing what he's talking about.

I know I remarked on this and yeah it's probably true Apple wanted in to the enterprise segment. Shoot. I worked for an IT department that dealt mostly with high end macs, NBC, trailer houses, but we also did servers for PCs. But how dies a company like apple that's eating away at play station with a forcasted target price for share to be over $250, be embarressed???