Doom game creator suggests Apple embarrassed about iPhone gaming

Comments

• Reply 61 of 184
    I don't get it.

Gaming is only going to grow.

Escapism is by definition irresponsible so what's the big deal?

They would be proud if was a just a mundane tool or one to improve youself?

yeah right.
  • Reply 62 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The PSP Go is light years ahead of anything on the iphone. Take a look at Assassin's Creed for the GO and it blows away anything the iPhone could even remotely handle.

Thats true.. but so was the PSP.. so why come out with the go? Smaller.. compact.. fits in your pocket.. and downloadable games at lower pricing.. The GO was released 100% to compete with the App store.
  • Reply 63 of 184
    I think that major game developers are used to being pampered by console makers. Apple treats game developers the same as non-game developers. Nobody gets special treatment. The Indy's and the large dev houses get equal treatment for the first time. It reminds me of when Steam was complaining about Apple not taking gaming seriously even though they could not name one thing that Apple was doing wrong...
  • Reply 64 of 184
    ortort Posts: 39member
    Carnac should be embarassed about DOOM Classic on the iPhone. It's controls make it unplayable.
  • Reply 65 of 184
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You're Trippin'. The route Apple took (ignoring gamers) was the most profitable. They weren't going to build a line of computers for gamers, taking away R&D money and building systems for a limited group of people.

But the speculation of this story comes from a game developer's head. He has no facts to back it up - he just says he "thinks" Apple doesn't like the fact games are popular on the iPhone/iPod Touch. No moaning from Apple, no basis in fact. He's trippin' right along with you.

You really don't know.

Apple could have took an even more profitable route embracing gamers.
  • Reply 66 of 184
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Steuber View Post

So Apple goes and releases a darn near perfect gaming API (OpenGL ES & OpenAL) and is upset that their pocket Macs are darn good gaming platforms? How could they not see this? They even went to great lengths to make sure that the GPU was a fully fledged co-processor on the device rather than some side show.

That is just too rich. I suppose that OS X isn't a gaming platform either. OMG! What if those big gaming companies start optimizing their games for OS X over DirectX?

The horror!

MacOS X may be a gaming platform, but the Mac hardware surely isn't one.

The MacPro is overpriced for gamers, an the iMac totally irrelevant, as a all-in-one solution with a big screen and a lame GPU.
  • Reply 67 of 184
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Who cares what this guy says, he always opens his mouth just because he can
  • Reply 68 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I could believe this. Wouldn't Apple have released a control pad if they really wanted it to succeed in gaming?

They could at least suggest a standard so third party accessory and case makers could build a single interface. Plus game makers need to feel comfortable programming for these so there's not like 5 of them out there that no one programs for, which is probably what'll happen eventually without some kind of leadership.

I think it's more like this.

You know how the iPhone is selling REALLY WELL?!?! And also how PC (non MAC) have 80% of corporate world? I think they (Apple) wanted the iPhone to take off in the corporate field, but they never got the Exchange quite right. Having worked in IT, Exchange is a wonderful thing, it's powerful and requires only a few steps to set uo a new uers where everything is secure, synched, and tightly integrated with the company system, mail, notes, to-do's, meetings and so on, however, since its (wrongly to some extent) seen as a gaming device, they might feel it will never achieve that level of penetration into the corporate marketplace that it could have, with iPhones being everywhere, as most people I know have a work HTC and a personal mobile iPhone.

Bummer really, but Apple never got the Exchange right and yet we mock MSFT for having to handle so many 3rd party platforms, hardware and applications where Apple can't get just this one to work correctly. Bummer.

Peace..
  • Reply 69 of 184
    As this is my first post I'd like to say hello to everyone here. I've been reading this site and the forums for years. Since the discussions seem to usually be quite civil and insightful I have finally decided to join in.

I must say in advance that while I love my early 2008 Macbook Pro 17", 30" Apple Cinema Display, and iPhone 3G S I do believe there are gaps in Apple's product line-ups.

Towards that end.....I think Carmack may well have a point. Apple certainly does Gamers no favors when it comes to their computers. The graphics chipsets Apple puts in their Mini's, iMac's, and notebooks are underpowered for many of the latest games regardless of which OS one launches in Boot Camp. And while a Mac Pro is up to the task with it's upgradable dedicated graphics card, it starts at $2,499 which places it far outside of the average Gamers price range. One can build a Windows gaming box with a sweet GPU for under $1,000 total; as I recently did for my brother. Also Apple lacks an SLI or Crossfire equivalent for mega gaming rigs. These huge holes in their system lineup has lead in large part to Gamers and Game Developers looking elsewhere, such as Windows boxes or consoles. I feel Apple is rather glaringly missing an opportunity as the Gaming Industry is a multi-billion dollar behemoth. No laughing matter. Personally I don't care for now as WoW plays fine on my Macbook, but when Diablo 3 comes out I may have a hard choice ahead of me..... \

As for the iPhone and Touch, I could easily believe Apple only accidently designed hardware that plays MOBILE games competitively; but only because from the beginning they were competing against a Nintendo DS and Sony PSP which were already a few years old, and showing it. When the App Store started selling those games like hotcakes, the surprised executives at Apple were more then happy to accept our money.

For the record I don't think I've bought a mobile game for my Nintendo DS or Sony PSP since buying a first gen iPhone, or since upgrading to my iPhone 3G S. It truly is the ultimate portable gaming unit.....at least until Nintendo and Sony wake up and release something totally new complete with competitive game prices.
  • Reply 70 of 184
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This is a stupid article. Even if "Mr. Doom" was quoted accurately, he's insane. Why the hell would Apple be annoyed that the iphone/touch have been successful in an area? Why the hell would they care, even if they didn't originally intend the platform to be so gaming-oriented? They are a corporation, and they are making money. Lots of it. And what's this? They are promoting the gaming aspects of the platform--all while not being happy about it? Stupidity has no bounds, apparently.

Apple might not have expected it, but they are as happy as pigs in shit over the success.
  • Reply 71 of 184
    Quote:

Carmack has seen his day come and go. Valve blows away ID Software.

That's idiotic as it is preposterous! John Carmack is as relevant today as he was ten years ago. The biggest thing about him is his game engine design will wind up spawning 25 more games all thanks to him.

People love to hate.
  • Reply 72 of 184
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Really?

The company I work for has about 30 Macs. Two of them are exclusively for graphics/video.

Most of my family and friends have Apple computers. Only one of them uses it for video editing, and that's only part time.

When I travel, I see WAY more Apple laptops than anything else. Lot's of video watching, but no editing.

The large majority of Mac owners use the computers for all the same stuff you'd use a Windows machine for.

Could it be that Carmack is annoyed that Apple takes games seriously in a niche he doesn't occupy? Apple did in the early days of the Mac discourage game development but that was because they didn't want it to be seen as a toy vs. the established "serious" IBM PC, particularly as GUIs were not well known at the time, and icons etc. were derided by some as toy-like. But that was 1984, not 2009.

In my (bioinformatics) lab most people use Macs and most of them do not create videos or graphics (other than to illustrate their work). I use a Mac because (a) I can do UNIX-style development on it for my research (with a good version of LaTeX for technical writing) and (b) the commodity apps all work pretty well.

A few days ago I gave a seminar and the head of my group sent me home the day before with adjustments to make after a final preview of my slides. He uses PowerPoint, and I use Keynote. The next day he was really impressed with the improvements I made on his advice, and said, "You must have been up really late." I wasn't. It's not that he's super-inefficient either; he's actually pretty good at most things I've seen him do.

Having someone like Steve in charge of Apple, who makes a product really usable even if it's idiosyncratic to his style, is something I will take any day over design by committee.
  • Reply 73 of 184
    screw gaming on ipod touch, I want games on my Mac Pro without having to use windows! :P

C
  • Reply 74 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is a stupid article. Even if "Mr. Doom" was quoted accurately, he's insane. Why the hell would Apple be annoyed that the iphone/touch have been successful in an area? Why the hell would they care, even if they didn't originally intend the platform to be so gaming-oriented? They are a corporation, and they are making money. Lots of it. And what's this? They are promoting the gaming aspects of the platform--all while not being happy about it? Stupidity has no bounds, apparently.

Apple might not have expected it, but they are as happy as pigs in shit over the success.

Happy over its success yes. But maybe not as that it is being seen as a toy. Steve Jobs and Apple aren't into games never have been. It would not surprise me if Apple was less enthusiastic about this perception. Knowing Apple and Jobs I think they were looking for the respect that a smartphone like blackberry get's in the business world.
  • Reply 75 of 184
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Nintendo?s excessive drop in profits seem to stem more from the dropping Wii sales, which the Touch doesn?t directly compete with.

2) The DSi has OTA downloads of games.

3) The link is a little more telling about Carmack?s plan for iPhone OS games, their profit compared to other platforms and why the Android platform currently holds little interest?

Thank you for the link. What a totally different feeling one is left with after reading that compared to the one above. There seems to be nothing but a negative spin in the AI article whereas I am left excited about his enthusiasm for the iPhone and Apple's approach after reading the CNBC interview.
  • Reply 76 of 184
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Except that the gaming element is one of the key driving forces of iPhone, and is heavily promoted (publicly) by Apple.

The iPhone does *everything.* As it should. and it does a damn good job. No reason for Apple to have a problem with this. Its perfectly in line with the consumer market strategy for the iPhone.

Unless of course, the whole gaming scenario is what might be holding the iPhone back from significant enterprise adoption.

The rest of the time, the gaming is a plusl and has paid off handsomely.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to Carmack's ideas.

STOP me when i hit fanboi over load

RANDOM thoughts from A staten island ferry >> nyc subway local one line rider.

For years we were abused and bored to tears with tiny cell phone stupid games on a tiny screen while hitting hitting tiny rubber bumps .

AND  came about and created the most valuable real estate in then world !! By creating the iphone touches.

Maybe was  stunned by all this. By giving away free for free millions of touches to schools kids what did they expect? >> wall street action or gaming action .

i was not stunned /the first thing saw a better looking psp. Also the millions of people who suffered thru tiny screen stuff we're handed the keys to the kingdom with the touches That 20 to 50 minute commute on 2 or 3 different modes of transport lends it self to the ipod/iphone very nicely.First person high quality shooting games will soon arrive and send this platform over to the hard core gamers . THE ipod touch will soon eclipse the iphone if data costs remain high . or if  increases the power even more in the touch . maybe we could even Skype call from the touch .

All this gaming stuff is ad hoc right now quandra ,Wait until all those insane creators make multi-layered multiplayer 3D movie like media > connected worlds for all of apple freaks to join >and play and explore . Think about rushing out of a meeting because you cell phone is under world wide attack and you're the gunner guy for squad 6 of the Nyc foo fighters . My fanboi alarm just rang

gotta go

peace

• Reply 77 of 184
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thank you for the link. What a totally different feeling one is left with after reading that compared to the one above. There seems to be nothing but a negative spin in the AI article whereas I am left excited about his enthusiasm for the iPhone and Apple's approach after reading the CNBC interview.

This guy will write some incredible doom/quake like code for a few top level games for all APPLE PLATFORMS .

He will become very rich "> : should buy him out ,
  • Reply 78 of 184
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

The PSP Go is light years ahead of anything on the iphone. Take a look at Assassin's Creed for the GO and it blows away anything the iPhone could even remotely handle.

Right. So can the previous gen PSP, and the PS3.

That doesn't make it lightyears ahead of anything, let alone the iPhone. The iPhone IS LIGHTYEARS ahead of the PSP Go in terms of sales volume, adoption rate, total available games, and average price per game by large large large margin.

That's what matters. Not what assassins creed looks like. LMAO.
  • Reply 79 of 184
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

Happy over its success yes. But maybe not as that it is being seen as a toy. Steve Jobs and Apple aren't into games never have been. It would not surprise me if Apple was less enthusiastic about this perception. Knowing Apple and Jobs I think they were looking for the respect that a smartphone like blackberry get's in the business world.

^ One of the first smart, halfway insightful posts in this entire discussion.

No business is upset about success. That is, of course, not the whole picture. Not surprisingly, this entire thread misses the whole picture. Not surprising.

Perception is everything in terms of longevity. Til now the perception of the iPhone has included:

#1. A touch screen iPod

#2. A portable web browser/e-mail checker. Replacing anyone's "need" for a 3G-equipped netbook.

#3. A cheap handheld gaming device.

These 3 perceptions have all driven the wild sales of the iPhone since last year. For a year before that, it was ONLY the first two that sold the device.

Apple did not start with a gaming device, but they couldn't ignore the opportunity to knock all others out of the park. Now that they have, they realize a few things:

a) the limited opportunity of gaming. Gaming, while popular and money making, has a limited potential that has been realized and observed in markets before.

b) Pushing it as gaming device WILL slow its adoption in the business world. There is no avoiding this. Seriouz Businezz Ownerz won't be opting for 100 iPhones for their department when they see commercials showing off extremely fun-looking games. Doesn't matter that you could spend all day playing lame Texas Hold'Em or Solitare on a Blackberry, but there is no multi-million dollar advertising campaign showing people playing games on their Blackberry.
  • Reply 80 of 184
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

^ One of the first smart, halfway insightful posts in this entire discussion.

No business is upset about success. That is, of course, not the whole picture. Not surprisingly, this entire thread misses the whole picture. Not surprising.

Perception is everything in terms of longevity. Til now the perception of the iPhone has included:

#1. A touch screen iPod

#2. A portable web browser/e-mail checker. Replacing anyone's "need" for a 3G-equipped netbook.

#3. A cheap handheld gaming device.

These 3 perceptions have all driven the wild sales of the iPhone since last year. For a year before that, it was ONLY the first two that sold the device.

Apple did not start with a gaming device, but they couldn't ignore the opportunity to knock all others out of the park. Now that they have, they realize a few things:

a) the limited opportunity of gaming. Gaming, while popular and money making, has a limited potential that has been realized and observed in markets before.

b) Pushing it as gaming device WILL slow its adoption in the business world. There is no avoiding this. Seriouz Businezz Ownerz won't be opting for 100 iPhones for their department when they see commercials showing off extremely fun-looking games. Doesn't matter that you could spend all day playing lame Texas Hold'Em or Solitare on a Blackberry, but there is no multi-million dollar advertising campaign showing people playing games on their Blackberry.

Then again . . . let's keep in mind that this is a device that does *everything.* People need to realize that, and allow for the fact that if gaming is one of the things it does well, it's going to be a bog selling point.

Flipping it over, however, we come back to your very correct assessment: Perception is Reality. And Apple understands this very well. Perhaps there might be some truth to their alleged feelings about gaming. Interesting.