Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's top-of-the-line 27-inch iMacs, powered with Intel quad-core processors, have begun shipping to those who purchased the machines in October, AppleInsider has learned.

Readers have said that Apple has notified them that their hardware has finally shipped from Shanghai. One order said to have been placed a day after the systems were announced was processed last week and shipped Monday.

When they were announced in October, the new Core i5 and i7 quad-core Intel-powered machines were said by Apple to ship in November. The new iMac sports a massive 27-inch screen with a LED backlight, 16:9 ratio, and 2560x1440 pixel resolution.

The 27-inch 2.66 GHz Core i5 750 iMac has a suggested retail price of $1,999. Apple also offers a build-to-order option for $200 more with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 860 processor. Both quad-core iMacs include 8MB of L3 cache, and Apple benchmarks the high-end "Nehalem" Core i7 as being 2.4 times faster than the Core 2 Duo. In all, the systems include:

27-inch 2560 x 1440 LED-backlit display

2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 quad-core processor with 8MB shared L3 cache

4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM expandable to 16GB

ATI Radeon HD 4850 discrete graphics; with 512MB GDDR3

1TB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm

A slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+ / -R DL/DVD+ / -RW/CD-RW)

Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately)

Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

Built-in iSight video camera

Gigabit Ethernet port

Four USB 2.0 ports

One FireWire 800 port

SD card slot

Built-in stereo speakers and microphone

Wireless Apple Keyboard, Magic Mouse.

Discounted prices on the new iMac systems are available via the AppleInsider Mac Pricing Guide:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 222
    The iMac sure has grown up over the years!

We bought one of the first ones (purple), but very under-powered.

The "desklamp" one was innovative for its time, but too gimmicky for our tastes.

Then we bought an aluminum 24" iMac a year and a half ago and were very impressed with its looks, its beautiful big screen, and its decent performance.

We have been planning on holding out for the next Mac Pro and thinking of getting two. But now my wife is so impressed with the quad-core 27" and with being able to put 16GB of RAM into it that she now wants one instead of a Pro.

I love this new aluminum milling process. Really durable and beautiful, and it helps with heat dissipation which results in only occasional fan noise.
  • Reply 2 of 222
    These new iMacs are about the best value I've ever seen in a Mac, especially given the displays. This makes me wonder what's in store for the Mac Pro refresh, when it comes.
  • Reply 3 of 222
    I would wait to buy if your one or any of the following:

1: Novice or new computer user with no local support

2: Located quite some distance from a Apple Store or Authorized Repair and have to use the mails or other rather rough shipping methods.

The reasons are simple, this is a new machine, with a new quad core processor that creates more heat in a iMac that never had one before. We vets have seen this before, fan speeds are set too low or make annoying revving sounds and require a firmware update to compensate.

For instance the eMac's fans sounded like a vacuum cleaner was running, the PowerMac G5's fans would rev up and down and be very annoying. So I expect the same sort of behavior to occur with the iMac getting twice the processor power in a similar size and very enclosed case, thus the possible need for higher or revving fan speeds.

Snow Leopard is also rather new and bug prone and a lot of third party software isn't up to speed on it yet. If you have no local support, your on your own if you don't have any experience and this can be quite a chore for the new/novice computer user.

And with the iMac, unlike the MacPro, you have to send the whole machine in for service. Any personal data on a failed machine is going to be observed and possibly copied by service personal. At least with MacPro one can remove the hard drive and pay Apple for another one when undergoing repair if need be.

So if you can wait a few months, do so. Just to let the kinks get worked out and review the online recommendations for a better Mac computing experience.

Everything new has it's share of unforeseen problems and Mac's are no different.

Also you might want to wait until the 27" anti-glare films are available from third party sources, the reflections may murder your eyes. There is a video on YouTube showing how easy it is to apply.
  • Reply 4 of 222
    I wonder when the "standard" 27" iMacs with the upgrade (ATI Radeon HD 4850) video card will ship. This was previously what was holding out shipments of both models, but now that the quad-core is shipping, I'm surprised that the regular 27" isn't shipping as well.
  • Reply 5 of 222
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

The iMac sure has grown up over the years!

We bought one of the first ones (purple), but very under-powered.

The "desklamp" one was innovative for its time, but too gimmicky for our tastes.

Then we bought an aluminum 24" iMac a year and a half ago and were very impressed with its looks, its beautiful big screen, and its decent performance.

We have been planning on holding out for the next Mac Pro and thinking of getting two. But now my wife is so impressed with the quad-core 27" and with being able to put 16GB of RAM into it that she now wants one instead of a Pro.

I love this new aluminum milling process. Really durable and beautiful, and it helps with heat dissipation which results in only occasional fan noise.

i have own ed 3 of these imac's

my latest one is two long yrs old

some how i wish my wife by mistake would knock it over

so I would be forced to get the new imac quad 27

unibody heaven
  • Reply 6 of 222
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I would wait to buy if your one or any of the following:

1: Novice or new computer user with no local support

2: Located quite some distance from a Apple Store or Authorized Repair and have to use the mails or other rather rough shipping methods.

The reasons are simple, this is a new machine, with a new quad core processor that creates more heat in a iMac that never had one before. We vets have seen this before, fan speeds are set too low or make annoying revving sounds and require a firmware update to compensate.

For instance the eMac's fans sounded like a vacuum cleaner was running, the PowerMac G5's fans would rev up and down and be very annoying. So I expect the same sort of behavior to occur with the iMac getting twice the processor power in a similar size and very compact case. Thus little airflow.

Snow Leopard is also rather new and bug prone and a lot of third party software isn't up to speed on it yet. If you have no local support, your on your own if you don't have any experience and this can be quite a chore for the new/novice computer user.

So if you can wait a few months, do so. Just to let the kinks get worked out and review the online recommendations for a better Mac computing experience.

Everything new has it's share of unforeseen problems and Mac's are no different.

Also you might want to wait until the 27" anti-glare films are available from third party sources, the reflections may murder your eyes. There is a video on YouTube showing how easy it is to apply.

and on a positive note...
  • Reply 7 of 222
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My i7 quad core still hasn't shipped.
  • Reply 8 of 222
    Woo-hoo. Christmas for me :-) Now let's get some speed benchmarks to see if the i5/7 are worth the price before I shop for myself
  • Reply 9 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheeseRations View Post

I wonder when the "standard" 27" iMacs with the upgrade (ATI Radeon HD 4850) video card will ship. This was previously what was holding out shipments of both models, but now that the quad-core is shipping, I'm surprised that the regular 27" isn't shipping as well.

Apparently, ATI (AMD) is having some problems right now in shipping some product. It's possible that the shortage of 58xx products is requiring them to move some production from the 48xx lines to make up for it. No doubt, they'd rather sell more of the newer, more expensive product, than the older cheaper one.
  • Reply 10 of 222
    I ordered my i7 iMac within an hour of its release and it is not shipping. If you notice the screenshot of the shipment notice, the iMac that has NOT shipped is an i7.

Hopefully it will be soon...
  • Reply 11 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

and on a positive note...

"Prepare for the worst and the good will take care of itself"
    - Donald Trump.
  • Reply 12 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apparently, ATI (AMD) is having some problems right now in shipping some product. It's possible that the shortage of 58xx products is requiring them to move some production from the 48xx lines to make up for it. No doubt, they'd rather sell more of the newer, more expensive product, than the older cheaper one.

Yeah, I had heard about some shortages. I was just curious as to why Apple is opting to ship the quad-core machines (w/ the 4850) prior to the 3.06GHz machines upgraded to the 4850. I'd assume that this is probably just because those customers bought a more expensive machine as I wouldn't expect it to be any harder to put the 4850 in the 3.06GHz than it would be to put it in the quad-core.

Oh well! Just wondering! Maybe the 3.06GHz will wind up shipping later today or something.
  • Reply 13 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

I ordered my i7 iMac within an hour of its release and it is not shipping. If you notice the screenshot of the shipment notice, the iMac that has NOT shipped is an i7.

Hopefully it will be soon...

And the store still simply says "November" for the quads, as opposed to the Core 2 Duo 27", which says "7-10 business days".
  • Reply 14 of 222
    Quote:

Yeah, I had heard about some shortages. I was just curious as to why Apple is opting to ship the quad-core machines (w/ the 4850) prior to the 3.06GHz machines upgraded to the 4850. I'd assume that this is probably just because those customers bought a more expensive machine as I wouldn't expect it to be any harder to put the 4850 in the 3.06GHz than it would be to put it in the quad-core.

Oh well! Just wondering! Maybe the 3.06GHz will wind up shipping later today or something.

Hard to say, likely there's some production line reason.
  • Reply 15 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Woo-hoo. Christmas for me :-) Now let's get some speed benchmarks to see if the i5/7 are worth the price before I shop for myself

Yea, wait for the graphics benchmarks too. Previous iMac's had lousy 3D graphics which so many people complained they couldn't 3D game well that Apple came up with a BTO upgrade option for a better graphics card. They might be fearing cannibalizing sales from the Mac Pro.

Although the 27" does have a ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB.

I would wait to see what Barefeats says first.

http://www.barefeats.com/
  • Reply 16 of 222
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I will wait til Spring, once it gets what it needs.
  • Reply 17 of 222
    Like EMoeller, I ordered a quad core within an hour of its release. I've been officially billed for an i7 iMac, so I hope the machine will ship soon.
  • Reply 18 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yea, wait for the graphics benchmarks too. Previous iMac's had lousy 3D graphics which so many people complained they couldn't 3D game well that Apple came up with a BTO upgrade option for a better graphics card. They might be fearing cannibalizing sales from the Mac Pro.

Although the 27" does have a ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB.

I would wait to see what Barefeats says first.

http://www.barefeats.com/

The two 24" models I bought for my family in early 2008 have pretty decent graphics with the upgrade offered then.
  • Reply 19 of 222
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    In real-life benefits, what does the quad give you that the C2D 3.06 does not?
  • Reply 20 of 222
    Quote:

I am typing this on my 3.06 GHz C2D with the 4850 right now... for what it's worth... :/