Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

big deal

one time i read a book about famous buildings throughout history and every single one from the Parthenon to the Temple Mount has it's roots in other buildings nearby. Not one was an original design.

everyone always borrows from someone else

absolutely. i don't think ms has ever denied this.
  • Reply 22 of 229
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Whats he going to quote the fact that someone said it has the look of OSX but is far more stable? Yeah that would go over well.

I guess you didn't bother reading the article

Quote:

"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it's very graphical and easy to use,"

• Reply 23 of 229
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Another detail which I wouldn't mind Apple porting over to 10.7 is that on Windows 7 there's a visual indicator that multiple windows have been collapsed into the icon. On OS X currently you pretty much have to remember it and having to press the mouse button for some time to make them visible in Expose is not as elegant as selecting them directly in the Aero previews with just hovering over the taskbar icon.

Yeah, that's good. I also LOVE the thing MS has shown in the ads where you drag a window (not sure if it relates to all apps or just a web browser) out to the side - the cursor needs to go off the screen - and then let go, and the app snaps back to occupy exactly half the screen. Do that with two windows, one in each direction and you have a very useful set up for comparing docs.
  • Reply 24 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

I call BS on this statement made by MS...

no doubt. i don't think anyone can make the stability argument with a straight face. does anyone really think that NT is more stable than BSD?
  • Reply 25 of 229
    Quote:

Actually if you read what he was saying he was trying to point out that while Windows 7 has the look of OSX its far more stable. However if you have used Windows 7 you would know it actually doesn't look like OSX at all. It has far more of a Linux look.

yeah it does remind me of ubuntu or something. there are actually a couple little UI things i think they've done better than osx in win 7.
  • Reply 26 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yeah, that's good. I also LOVE the thing MS has shown in the ads where you drag a window (not sure if it relates to all apps or just a web browser) out to the side - the cursor needs to go off the screen - and then let go, and the app snaps back to occupy exactly half the screen. Do that with two windows, one in each direction and you have a very useful set up for comparing docs.

You can still do it manually on any OS. Personally I find Spaces to be one of the most useful features.
  • Reply 27 of 229
    apparently Microsoft was even more inspired by open-source KDE.

Apple also adopted KDE's KHTML, which got subsequently renamed to WebKit.

People don't even notice that it's KDE:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soft...9294810,00.htm
  • Reply 28 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

yes - i'd like to have this in OSX.
  • Reply 29 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess you didn't bother reading the article

Who didn't read?

"improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform"
  • Reply 30 of 229
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Hilarious that he says that 7 is based on the "very stable" Vista core. Especially since I just saw a TV Commercial today where a girl in cafe using a PC laptop with Window 7 says that Windows 7 was her idea because she was having nightmares about her Vista PC crashing and freezing. So she suggested to Microsoft, "hey... why not make an OS that doesn't freeze and crash".
  • Reply 31 of 229
    Quote:

Actually if you read what he was saying he was trying to point out that while Windows 7 has the look of OSX its far more stable. However if you have used Windows 7 you would know it actually doesn't look like OSX at all. It has far more of a Linux look.

He realized partway through that he might just have been a little too honest for an MS emnployee, and then added:

We?ve significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it?s built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance.

If he had any presence of mind to begin with, he would never have even mentioned Apple.

It looks more like Linux? Super. Except Gomer Pyle there said it looks more like OS X. What difference does it make what *you* think it looks like, when he, representing MS, just announced publcily that it looks lke OS X and that MS ripped off Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

"We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

Honest, but still delusional.

lmao to both the original comment and the reply
  • Reply 33 of 229
    Quote:

Who didn't read?

"improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform"

The first quote does not contradict this quote therefore there no reason to quote the whole statement or the whole interview. Furthermore, the first statement sounded more like a survey or a research findings and the second was more of an opinion.
  • Reply 34 of 229
    This may be the first time that I've heard the words "stable" and "windows" used in the same sentence. :-)
  • Reply 35 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

big deal

one time i read a book about famous buildings throughout history and every single one from the Parthenon to the Temple Mount has it's roots in other buildings nearby. Not one was an original design.

everyone always borrows from someone else

But wouldn't you prefer to say you're the one everyone is copying from, not the one copying from someone else?
  • Reply 36 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If he had any presence of mind to begin with, he would never have even mentioned Apple.

It looks more like Linux? Super. Except Gomer Pyle there said it looks more like OS X. What difference does it make what *you* think it looks like, when he, representing MS, just announced publcily that it looks lke OS X and that MS ripped off Apple.

+1 Yep.
  • Reply 37 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The first quote does not contradict this quote therefore there no reason to quote the whole statement or the whole interview. Furthermore, the in the first statement sounded more like a survey or a research findings and in the second he was stating an opinion.

Good point.

"People love Macs and OS X, but hey, here's Windows 7, our copy!"

• Reply 38 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Kind of pathetic...but at least they are honest.

And at least it works this time - ask Walt Mossberg.
  • Reply 39 of 229
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    It matters not, what some guy at Microsoft says about Apple or anything else. Some people would have you believe that comments from managers at Microsoft would have some influence, but they have zero influence really.

Both Windows 7 and OS X are very good pieces of software. But one big thing MS lacks and that they will never really have is the total computing experience. Apple builds the hardware, the operating system and many of the applications for a total user experience.

When one compares apples to apples (no pun intended), on balance, Apple comes out ahead. Yes, even with price considerations which are mostly fabricated. True, Apples does not play in the $400 PC market, but they don't have to. But Apple has sold millions of devices at the $400 price point, just not a PC.

The market shows the truth here ... Apple is firing on all cylinders and is focused. MS on the other hand seems to have been distracted for years and several cylinders have misfired.

I am very happy with my Apple experience, having switched 2 years ago from Wintel PCs. OS X has been incredibly stable compared to my Windows experience. Installing software is a complete breeze compared to MS installations; just one of many areas where Apple excels.
  • Reply 40 of 229
    Where is Teckstud in all this?