Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 121 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

What's the big deal? I fully expect all developers from any company to check out the competition and take on board their best concepts. If they didn't do this the company would not last long. The trick is not to just reverse engineer something but look at what's actually good about it, improve on it and build that into your software in a way that differentiates your product.

I really agree with this comment..

There is never gonna be another Led Zeppelin, all you can do is just rip them off.

Steve Jobs has whole heartedly said in a number of interviews that todays apple wouldn't exist without Bill Gates.
  • Reply 122 of 229
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

He realized partway through that he might just have been a little too honest for an MS emnployee, and then added:

We?ve significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it?s built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance.

If he had any presence of mind to begin with, he would never have even mentioned Apple.

It looks more like Linux? Super. Except Gomer Pyle there said it looks more like OS X. What difference does it make what *you* think it looks like, when he, representing MS, just announced publcily that it looks lke OS X and that MS ripped off Apple.

So you see him as mindless person but still will quote him with great pleasure - just because he said something you need to hear?

While number the reviews and comparisons on the net - like this one, http://arstechnica.com/software/news...-7-taskbar.ars, keep saying a bit different story, but hey - that is not what you really want to be told, so lets just ignore them all..?

Strange.
  • Reply 123 of 229
    cjkcjk Posts: 1member
    Which ever way you look at it, the new windows 7 is a good thing. Keeps the OS ball moving...

If they'd released another Vista, why would Leopard need to change? If they had to copy Apple then so be it...
  • Reply 124 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

lmao to both the original comment and the reply

Perhaps. And by no means am I an Microsoft apologist. That said if it were not for some of the new Microsoft ads, rumors of a msft only, non OEM "Courier" and Windows 7 selling so well, while we don't know for sure, but we may not have seen quad iMacs and price cuts not to mention $29 for SL.

I still think Apple has holes in their offerings. No express slots except on 17" which is used by audio/video prosumers and it wouldn't have hurt to see them in the iMacs as well as eSata ports, something else semi pros use. Apple would have sold millions of them. Just lookat any video or audio website for recording avid/protools were smart enough to know they were losing money in the pro tools area, so they bought M-Audio. And gaming? Gamers out buy both music and video, DVDs combined. It's just sad that apple can't make a decent, fair priced machine for the semi pro, heck they even took away FireWire for a while and all the fanboys said it was a space issue. It's not. Any time you see a great or in apple term great gpu on a laptop, expect no FireWire as they don't want you running final cut on it, thus the lack of matte option. And then of course there is the missing mid range, headless mac pro.

We can only hope Microsoft does well and maybe the Courier is real as we need Apple to STOP worrying about losing pro user sales. Don't they get they will more than make that up 10 fold?? You would have every gamer, semi pro musician, video and enthusiast buying these machines not to mention increases in marketshare.

One day I suppose. One day.

Peace.
  • Reply 125 of 229
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why aren't those features built into the iMac's neck to begin with like any $500 Dell?

Aside from rotating which is so simple anyway and the raise and lower issue, there are also some 3rd party rotating bases if you really need that. The point is that VESA mounting eliminates the base altogether as in my under the upper kitchen cabinet mounting project.
  • Reply 126 of 229
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

big deal

one time i read a book about famous buildings throughout history and every single one from the Parthenon to the Temple Mount has it's roots in other buildings nearby. Not one was an original design.

everyone always borrows from someone else

But it gets kind of old when the same person always borrows from the same person ...
  • Reply 127 of 229
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJK View Post

Which ever way you look at it, the new windows 7 is a good thing. Keeps the OS ball moving...

If they'd released another Vista, why would Leopard need to change? If they had to copy Apple then so be it...

Apple have never needed anything done by M$ or anyone else as motivation to improve. Apple is driven by a desire to design and create better products from within. That is what sets them apart form the rest.
  • Reply 128 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post

As opposed to Apple which is a fascist party - all they do is dictate what people can do with their OS (which g can only be put on their glossy-screened, shiny hardware)

OS X? - based on BSD.. bunch of copy-cats! Oh no wait, I forget, Apple is allowed to copy, because Apple spells copy: i-n-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n

Get over yourselves. MS saw which parts of OS X are effective and employed those - like every other company does. IMHO Win7 window management is better than on OS X, being able to enlarge windows from every corner, and the new Win7 drag-to-extents feature.

Bah, all this GUI stuff is copied from Xerox anyway.

what does having a good operating system have to do with fascism?
  • Reply 129 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

"We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

Honest, but still delusional.

I believe him.

- "core Vista technology" = the Windows kernal

- "current Mac platform" = What you get in the box with your Mac; OS X, iLife, iTunes, countless utilities...
  • Reply 130 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

It matters not, what some guy at Microsoft says about Apple or anything else. Some people would have you believe that comments from managers at Microsoft would have some influence, but they have zero influence really.

Both Windows 7 and OS X are very good pieces of software. But one big thing MS lacks and that they will never really have is the total computing experience. Apple builds the hardware, the operating system and many of the applications for a total user experience.

While I agree to some extent with the "end", user experience.

There was a time when everything was made in the USA. Add to that that the user base at the time were mostly "Creatives", this is no longer the case. Does it take away from thus experience? No, but Apple has become a company that cares mote about it's iLife and iPhone user base, having everything built in China, and doesn't really care about the Pro creatives anymore. Now add that Apple refuses to give both the Prosume and Pro a moderatly priced machine that can do creative jobs on a pro level without having to spend $3000, is a slap in the face to the Pros that carried them for all those years, pre iPhone. Not only that, a few years back it was reported on one of the cheaper MacBooks you could run motion and OpenGL benchmarked at 171% (you still couldn't play games though), apple released a GPu update making it impossible to run motion and the benchmark dropped all the way down to 70%. I see that as Apple saying no to the pros, a slap in the face if you will which is why you next saw a better GPU but no FireWire. Again, just Apples way of keeping the pro from having any type of backup machine not to mention all the gamers, semi pros, Prosumers that cannot afford a desktop made out of server parts.

It's just not cool. Apple should be reaching out to a huge chunk of marketshare that they simple ignore.
  • Reply 131 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple have never needed anything done by M$ or anyone else as motivation to improve. Apple is driven by a desire to design and create better products from within. That is what sets them apart form the rest.

As much as I'm an apple fan.. I don't think apple created the Computer, the Music Player, or the Phone.. They took someone else's ideas and made them better.

Standing on the shoulders of giants is what gives us everything that makes our lives easier and more enjoyable. There's nothing wrong with that!
  • Reply 132 of 229
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    "Hi. I'm a Mac and Windows 7 was my idea."

I stole that from Giz.
  • Reply 133 of 229
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

I just got back - I had an extremely difficult problem to solve at the office.

Here we go again - yet another thread of MS bashing and for what reason? Why don't you leave them be as they don't compete in the "premium" market anyway which Apple owns. Do they? WE all know Apple's never gonna crush them- right?

Considering that Windows 7 already has reached OSX worldwide share - 4% is right number for OSX worldwide, I believe? - I'd say MS and Win7 future is more than safe at this point...
  • Reply 134 of 229
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

That's why we buy them in the first place...ease of use and hassle free.

I'd also say your in the minority of PC users. I bet the vast majority of PC users buy one because they too "want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them"

That's Nice...
  • Reply 135 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

"Hi. I'm a Mac and Windows 7 was my idea."

I stole that from Giz.

Not Surprising... In The Least
  • Reply 136 of 229
    Quote:

Microsoft makes hardware now too?

The Xbox is Microsoft's baby--which dies over 50% of the time.
  • Reply 137 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

The Xbox is Microsoft's baby--which dies over 50% of the time.

Though I have yet to hear of a single XBox suffering from screeching/failing hard drives, exploding batteries, or completely erased partitions... all of which have a far greater impact on a user's productivity than a malfunctioning game console.
  • Reply 138 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

In honor of our nation's veterans on Veteran's Day, I can comment quoting Gomer Pyle, USMC...

"Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!..."

Thank you! (being a veteran myself)

and that was heeelarious! Good one!
  • Reply 139 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I can't think of anything less important, or more a waste of my time, that I could do on a computer than twiddle with the window colors.

There are quite a few things I could think of. I'm glad people can choose to make their OS look how they want it to - believe it or not, many take advantage of this 'feature'.
  • Reply 140 of 229
    OK, I'm putting on my asbestos suit because of all the flames that will follow.

I think the guy is right. There, I said it.

For an organization with the R&D resources of MSFT, it is a crying shame how little they innovate. In contrast, Apple takes a fraction of that budget and innovates like crazy. Does MSFT steal from Apple - ABSOLUTELY! It's actually shameful that as rich a company as MSFT can't bring themselves to do something creative but must rely on ripping off other companies.

That said, I think Win 7 is a winner for MSFT. Some think it is now very close between SL and Win7 (Mossberg). And I agree - in fact, I think MSFT took many Apple ideas and actually improved upon them. They still don't have a UI and experience as integrated and smooth as Apple, but they are very close. And sorry if the truth hurts, but so far, Win 7 has been much more stable than SL. If you cannot acknowledge the multiple problems with SL, you are just a fanboi. Truth is, Win 7 didn't even have as disastrous a bug as the guest account one. There are still things in SL that are vastly superior - the whole virus and malware and activation nightmare - but it is true that Win 7 is rock solid - and SL is undercooked. SL is not fully baked. And tragically, that was to be expected and will only get worse in the future - Apple OS will continue to sink and Win will continue to get better... because MSFT eats, sleeps, breathes OPERATING SYSTEM - they are a software computer company first and foremost. Apple is a hardware company - and not even mostly a computer hardware company... their priorities are going toward the whole iPhone and mobile platforms. It's no longer Apple Computers - officially. MSFT on the other hand lives and dies OS. Just look at the whole Leopard debacle - Apple had to admit they were late to the market and missed deadlines on Leopard development because they pulled their developers to work on the iPhone. Apple by percentage is making a smaller and smaller slice of their earnings from computers and more from gadgets like ipods, iphone, itablet etc. Frankly SL was a vast disappointment - working worse for many users that even the horrible Leopard. Tiger was the last decent OS Apple put out. It's all downhill from here - as Apple loses interest in developing an operating system, while MSFT races ahead. I wish it weren't so - I'll sooner switch to Linux, and so wish that Apple kept at it, but the writing is on the wall... and sad to say once Steve is gone (as he must), it'll be over just like that. You may disagree, but that's reality.