Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 81 of 229
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

Both Windows 7 and OS X are very good pieces of software. But one big thing MS lacks and that they will never really have is the total computing experience. Apple builds the hardware, the operating system and many of the applications for a total user experience.

Conversely...

Apple's practice of placing their hardware on almost complete 'Lock Down' simply provides a Limiting Experience for many users.

My Macs are a lot of things, but 'open' is certainly NOT one of them, and that's why 90% of the time I use one of my Win/Linux-based computers.
  • Reply 82 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

While no Mac is sold with a touch screen, there isn't really any need for it. It's a desktop; Microsoft is trying to be cool and put multi touch where it isn't necessary, which again is what they do all along, solve problems that don't exist.

As opposed to VESA mounting an iMac which serves absolutely no purpose as you can't run a Blu-ray or PS3 on it- or anything else on it with HDMI for that matter. ANd then it's too far away to use as a work station hung up on a wall. And MS makes no sense?
  • Reply 83 of 229
    Windows 7 is more stable than OS X? Say what? It's one thing to make crap for 25 years and cram it down throats. Now MS is admitting they're copying Apple. Duh. For 15 years. Oh, but MS platform is more stable. I suppose that's why we apple users have to worry so much about, I don't know: viruses? Boot up times of 20+ minutes? Corrupted code? Deadly blue screens?!? Say a lie long enough and loud enough and people will believe it. Until, this is, one day the emperor's outfit is revealed. Yes, no maybe, watch Apple surpass MS is market cap. See the dirty Window? It's a broken window. Ballmer on the bread line.
  • Reply 84 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

they are a criminal organization...all they do is steal, their real business isn't software

if it were, then they'd use their money to write a decent operating system, they've had time since the release of windows 95...instead of spending it on sales

OMG- it's worse than Republicans versus Democrats!
  • Reply 85 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Do you want to kill me with laughter?

Touch on the Surface (aka Big-Ass Table[TM]) works. For obvious reasons. Except consumers don't get one. Or even a really small one. Until Apple releases the Tablet.

As you know, Touch on an upright display while the user is sitting in front of it, at a table . . . not so much. Apple put touch controls where they belong. On their notebook touchpads, on the mouse, and on their handhelds (one-handed operation FTW.)

If MS wanted to pull a Star Trek LCARS interface thingy, this isn't the way to do it.

If we all worked while standing, it would be a diferent story. Until your feet get tired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5g19Nn4Cc
  • Reply 86 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You left out one big missing item.

You have much more flexibility and freedom using Windows.

Can you define exactly what that means? My Mac is as 'flexible" as I need it to be. What exactly is inflexible and restricted on OSX?

Quote:

You're not locked into anybody's control.

Neither am I on my Mac - again, define what this means, instead of using the same old anti-Apple soundbites - what "control?"

Quote:

Flash even works.

So what? Flash is a steaming pile of manure, good only for playing ads and Youtube. I don't use it and I don't miss it.

Quote:

More games- are there any MAC games?

I have a few, yes, but I power up my PC or Wii if I want to play any serious games. OSX isn't a gaming platform any more than my Motorola V220 is a smartphone, but I don't whine that I can't get applications on it. Again, the games argument is just a tired old anti-Apple soundbite that serious users don't care about.

Quote:

The flip side is more suceptibilty to viruses.

True, but simple and free security tools will largely prevent this.

Quote:

Now where can you get a MAC with Touch control on the screen like Windows has?

Touch-control on a desktop computer is pointless and overrated. The ability to reach over my desk and touch the screen instead of using a mouse or touchpad is unnecessary and considerably more difficult. It'll also very quickly result in painful injury. It's only slightly more useful on a notebook and is perfectly suited to handheld devices. The failure of the tablet PC format shows that touch-screens are not needed for general use.

The touch-screen abilities of Windows 7 are just more Microsoft Kool-aid, of which you seem to have been drinking a long and deep draught.
  • Reply 87 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If your going to quote someone you either have to quote everything or nothing. Anything in the middle is called lying.

No, lying is like when one claims to own Macs but doesn't.
  • Reply 88 of 229
    I don't see how this is truely "news" since Win 3.1 went after the GUI of OS 6. But since Apple stole some pages from the Windows book along the road, I really don't see how it matters. (And why do they now include support for MS Exchange and Windows 7 on their devices? hmm...)

All you Apple fans, I hope you enjoy this little tid-bit. As for me, I really don't care. Apple, MS, Gnome, KDE, its all the same idea. I'm still waiting for a new way to look at files. None has happened since the GUI has been introduced... still a file structure tree. I'm talking about real innovation, not QuickLook, or CoverSheet views, and also not talking about BumpTop. I'm talking about a full scale re-model of the GUI. With touch devices out these days, there's a lot that can be done... sadly, we are still thinking "in the box". Apple is definitely included.
  • Reply 89 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

how many Zune HD's are selling? havent heard much about that.

Funny you should ask. I just checked Amazon's top-selling electronics list today, and the Zune HD is a blazing hot 92nd on the top 100 list. Poor Apple has to settle for 2nd and 3rd with its iPod touch.
  • Reply 90 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Garish?

It looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell, like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

Eye-candy is supposed to be subtle and elegant, not Ringling Brothers meets Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

Ahhhh...

But the difference is that one can very easily modify/alter the appearance of almost ANY element of Windows, as opposed to the Mac OS which offers very little by way of 'customization' (of any sort).

Macs are little more than computing appliances, ones that cater to the absolute lowest common denominator of user e.g. those who want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them.

Me, I prefer a bit more involvement...
  • Reply 91 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

they are a criminal organization...all they do is steal, their real business isn't software

if it were, then they'd use their money to write a decent operating system, they've had time since the release of windows 95...instead of spending it on sales

Not really criminal, but they WERE convicted.

Now that you mention it . . . this was funny:

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was called "evasive and nonresponsive" by a source present at a session in which Gates was questioned on his deposition.[2] He argued over the definitions of words such as "compete", "concerned", "ask", and "we".[3] BusinessWeek reported, "Early rounds of his deposition show him offering obfuscatory answers and saying 'I don't recall' so many times that even the presiding judge had to chuckle. Worse, many of the technology chief's denials and pleas of ignorance have been directly refuted by prosecutors with snippets of E-mail Gates both sent and received."[4] Intel Vice-President Steven McGeady, called as a witness, quoted Paul Maritz, a senior Microsoft vice president as having stated an intention to "extinguish" and "smother" rival Netscape Communications Corporation and to "cut off Netscape's air supply" by giving away a clone of Netscape's flagship product for free. The Microsoft executive denied the allegations.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

• Reply 92 of 229
    Quote:

As opposed to VESA mounting an iMac which serves absolutely no purpose as you can't run a Blu-ray or PS3 on it- or anything else on it with HDMI for that matter. ANd then it's too far away to use as a work station hung up on a wall. And MS makes no sense?

No purpose? So those the only uses you can think of for vesa-mounting an iMac? Hanging it on a wall? What about putting it on a desktop-arm with a vesa mounting bracket?

I don't know about MS, but your posts certainly make no sense, as demonstrated above.
  • Reply 93 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ahhhh...

Macs are little more than computing appliances,

Which is all they ever need to be.
  • Reply 94 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelt View Post

Funny you should ask. I just checked Amazon's top-selling electronics list today, and the Zune HD is a blazing hot 92nd on the top 100 list. Poor Apple has to settle for 2nd and 3rd with its iPod touch.

... and McDonalds sells exponentially more burgers than The Rosebud Steakhouse, but there's very little doubt which one appeals to the more 'discriminating' consumer.
  • Reply 95 of 229
    Quote:

Garish?

It looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell, like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

Eye-candy is supposed to be subtle and elegant, not Ringling Brothers meets Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

just like OSX, if you spend your time wisely, install icon packs, new backdrops and such forth, you can actually have something that doesnt look like warmed up dog plop (win7) or 5year old dog plop (osx)
  • Reply 96 of 229
    Quote:

Touch on the Surface (aka Big-Ass Table[TM]) works. For obvious reasons. Except consumers don't get one. Or even a really small one. Until Apple releases the Tablet.

As you know, Touch on an upright display while the user is sitting in front of it, at a table . . . not so much. Apple put touch controls where they belong. On their notebook touchpads, on the mouse, and on their handhelds (one-handed operation FTW.)

If MS wanted to pull a Star Trek LCARS interface thingy, this isn't the way to do it.

If we all worked while standing, it would be a diferent story. Until your feet get tired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5g19Nn4Cc

I know. I was referring to gorilla part. That was funny I almost dropped out of the chair
  • Reply 97 of 229
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

VESA does not have to be just 'hung on wall'. There are many different uses for VESA mount. Swivel, extend, raise, lower tilt, etc.
  • Reply 98 of 229
    Quote:

Which is all they ever need to be.

That's fine as there will always be those who prefer the more utilitarian/mundane to that offering other attributes (customization/infinitely greater software selection/BluRay player-recorders/ etc.).
  • Reply 99 of 229
    Quote:

... and McDonalds sells exponentially more burgers than The Rosebud Steakhouse, but there's very little doubt which one appeals to the more 'discriminating' consumer.

cos they are as comparable as two computers using the same GPU, same CPU, same memory, same HDD, etc...

perhaps Rosebud steakhouse is blending mcdonalds nad serving it in a fancy aluminium enclosure?
  • Reply 100 of 229
    Quote:

Macs are little more than computing appliances, ones that cater to the absolute lowest common denominator of user e.g. those who want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them.

Me, I prefer a bit more involvement...

That's why we buy them in the first place...ease of use and hassle free.

I'd also say your in the minority of PC users. I bet the vast majority of PC users buy one because they too "want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them"