Microsoft denies Apple had influence on Windows 7 design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    hey the dock looks like my double height Windows 95 taskbar back in the day
  • Reply 22 of 172
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

You know with This talk of copy cop copy.

Want to see where a lot of leopard features came from?

And I do mean a lot.

This video is 7 years or older. After the 3rd slide it goes live to an audience.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXv8V...=youtube_gdata

So who's copying who? This should quiet a lot of people from both sides.

Everybody has R&D stuff like this. The difference is Apple doesn't show theirs off at conferences.

"Looking Glass" is also far from the first project to look at these kinds of things. To say that Leopard got "a lot" of it's features from Looking Glass is a wild exaggeration even based on what is in the video.
  • Reply 23 of 172
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I went into a shop the other day to look at some of the PCs with Win7 on them, and I couldn't see anything that even comes close to OSX.

I found myself looking at the Win7 laptop and thinking this is just like XP with a little bit more polish too, and it was nothing like the (re)volution that I'd expected. It just wasn't at all what I thought, even from the odd Win7 screenshot I've seen.

On the desktop were a few things on the side saying stuff like "Click here for" excitement' or something like that and I thought that it was a joke. A few other trivial links on the desktop seemed to be the kind of things that would never slip through the Apple HQ.

I was shocked to be honest and thoughts of getting a Win7 machine for the house quickly evaporated. Can anyone tell me, or put up some screenies, that show where OSX and Win7 are similar and where it looks as good as OSX?
  • Reply 24 of 172
    i'm glad they took back that statement, now i'm 100% sure that windows 7 has only original ideas, none of which were borrowed from os x

thanks for being the beacon of innovation, microsoft
  • Reply 25 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just as I said yesterday , OSX has no touch features yet. So who's copying who? When does the Touch come out with SL Touch?

I believe OS X has had those features for over 2 years now, just not in desktop and notebook computers, because it doesn't make alot of sense right now. Market agrees.
  • Reply 26 of 172
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    STEALING FROM DOS TO WINDOWS:

http://www.mackido.com/History/index.html
  • Reply 27 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

No touch features eh? That's funny, I just used four fingers to swipe my way through open apps, selected firefox, used three fingers to swipe my way over to this tab, then used two fingers to scroll down to your post on my macbook pro.

I regularly zoom through google maps, zoom in and out on images and documents, and access tons of other features on my mac with multi touch controls. Granted, they aren't on the screen, but I think anyone in their right mind understands that touching the screen of a laptop or desktop is just ridiculous and unnecessary.

The iPhone runs a fully multi-touch environment adapted directly from OSX.

Get your facts straight, PC fanboy

Right- let me know when that Swipe runs two apps (Windows) at once in that MiniME OS. Kay?
  • Reply 28 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I went into a shop the other day to look at some of the PCs with Win7 on them, and I couldn't see anything that even comes close to OSX.

I found myself looking at the Win7 laptop and thinking this is just like XP with a little bit more polish too, and it was nothing like the (re)volution that I'd expected. It just wasn't at all what I thought, even from the odd Win7 screenshot I've seen.

On the desktop were a few things on the side saying stuff like "Click here for" excitement' or something like that and I thought that it was a joke. A few other trivial links on the desktop seemed to be the kind of things that would never slip through the Apple HQ.

I was shocked to be honest and thoughts of getting a Win7 machine for the house quickly evaporated. Can anyone tell me, or put up some screenies, that show where OSX and Win7 are similar and where it looks as good as OSX?

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. OSX rules and 7 looks nothing like it. A direct descendant of XP- I thought so too.

7 does have touch though.\
  • Reply 29 of 172
    Whatever history might suggest, the Windows 7 GUI is an evolution of what was on Windows Vista and XP before that. There is no real visible shift towards the OS X GUI going from Vista to Win7...

I am on Win7 right now, and have used OS X since Jaguar.
  • Reply 30 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Makes MS look even worst.

Exactly my thought, too! The last time MS went in their own direction trying to differentiate themselves from Apple as far the OS 'look' was the 'Fischer-Price' look of XP. Very ugly!

Why can't they just admit OSX has a very elegant 'look' to it. It's so bloody obvious MS is copying OSX!

• Reply 31 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Shame, I much preferred the honest approach .

That's a lie from the Pit of Hell. Microsoft at the very least could have been honest about it...then again, they did the same thing with Vista and the past couple of Windows releases. Some things just never change I guess...
  • Reply 32 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Microsoft has a touch feature built into their desktop OS that works with the current HP TouchSmart desktops. I assume he was talking about this feature an the fact Apple doesn't have it at this point. However if the Tablet rumors are true that should change fairly soon.

Exactly - and then who's zoomin' who?
  • Reply 33 of 172
    Quote:

Right- let me know when that Sw*snip*

Oh do be quiet.

So, this Microsoft UK guy just made that statement up, did he? It's completely wrong, has no basis in fact, so he must have invented it, or, to use the proper term, "lied."
  • Reply 34 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGod 2.0 View Post

That's a lie from the Pit of Hell. Microsoft at the very least could have been honest about it...then again, they did the same thing with Vista and the past couple of Windows releases. Some things just never change I guess...

...... and Steve Ballmer is a replicant of Steve Jobs!
  • Reply 35 of 172
    Quote:

...... and Steve Balmer is a replicant of Steve Jobs!

LMAO Yeah! He SURE is!
  • Reply 36 of 172
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neondiet View Post

Why would I want a laptop or desktop with a touch screen anyway? I hate that.

You hate that? Soo you have a secret future desktop prototype Mac with touch on it and you hate it? Or you're imagining hating it if you had it on your desktop? lol Either way it's odd.
  • Reply 37 of 172
    Looking forward to a denial that the Microsoft stores and Guru Bar copied anything from Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 172
    [QUOTE=teckstud;1519433]

At first, there were subtle changes that the casual user didn't notice, now its just f***ing obvious. "Instant Search" "Windows Calender" "Windows Contacts"? Come on Microsoft, you mean to tell us that when you were writing this Mac OS had no influence whatsoever?! At all?! My ass!! Shameless
  • Reply 39 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Looking forward to a denial that the Microsoft stores and Guru Bar copied anything from Apple.

DITTO
  • Reply 40 of 172
    Quote:

Copying ? I thought they stole it?

Nope, Apple has stolen from XEROX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

regards,

Joerg