Microsoft denies Apple had influence on Windows 7 design

Comments

• Reply 101 of 172
    Steve Ballmer himself said "We are going to copy the OSX dock" when talking about Win7 2 years ago or so.
  • Reply 102 of 172
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OOOhh- a retraction.

MS knows how to keep Windows 7 alive in the news a month later. Pretty smart I think- this is obviously all planned PR.

All that anger, all that rage on here yesterday for what? NADA.

Just as I said yesterday , OSX has no touch features yet. So who's copying who? When does the Touch come out with SL Touch?

TechDud ... M$ reminds me of you, very "hands on" .... unfortunately, neither hand knows what the other hand is doing.
  • Reply 103 of 172
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

He represents MS. You gotta wonder how many other people think the same way at MS.

The Aldouses, the Jim Allchins, etc.

Makes you wonder what the ground-level buzz is at MS. You think one of the big topics of conversation is OS X? Dollars-to-donuts, it is.

I thought the claim of "?but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance." was the real conceit. So, Vista technology is far more stable than a BSD derived OS? Now that is a claim that I would like to see substantiated.
  • Reply 104 of 172
    Quote:

OOOhh-

Just as I said yesterday , OSX has no touch features yet. So who's copying who? When does the Touch come out with SL Touch?

I guess the "mobile version" of OSX, which has had touch features long before M$ had them, doesn't count in your books, why should it ... that wouldn't support your opinion. If you think, for one moment, that having touch on a computer desktop screen makes any sense at all, then then your opinion is worth even less than than usual. But hey, don't let having a worthless opinion stop you ... it never has in the past.
  • Reply 105 of 172
    Quote:

Do you hate touching your ATM's screen running Windows everytime you pull out cash?

Do you "work" at your desk standing up?
  • Reply 106 of 172
    Quote:

Oh right- we all know that Apple invented retail, glass buildings, spiral staircases, t shirts, apple logos, etc.

Did I leave out anything? \

No, but they put it all together a lot more successfully than anyone else, a concept that is probably unfamiliar to you.
  • Reply 107 of 172
    Quote:

You know- you never hear Microsoft bragging that their Windows epress check out devices have been used in Apple stores for years. They're above all that.

That's because they don't know how to copy something they "own".
  • Reply 108 of 172
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:

OOOhh- a retraction.

MS knows how to keep Windows 7 alive in the news a month later. Pretty smart I think- this is obviously all planned PR.

Read a quote the other day about this kind of thinking: Microsoft is neither stupid enough or smart enough to manipulate things this way.

What did happen is that somebody slightly out of the loop -- and further out of it now -- committed the infraction of telling the truth. This had to be corrected by the corporate deadheads.
  • Reply 109 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Who said Apple invented the touch screen?! and who said anything about who invented the touch screen?! You were saying that Apple Mac OS X lacks touch support and the reason for that was Apple does not make touch screen computers. At least not yet.

By the way, MS does not make computers.

Add OS to it for crying out loud ( I will fix it for you)- that's what I meant. Of course MS doesn't make computers! Jeesh.
  • Reply 110 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Steve Ballmer himself said "We are going to copy the OSX dock" when talking about Win7 2 years ago or so.

I'm trying to find when MS said they were copying Apple's ( really NeXT's) taskbar back in the eighties or nineties as anoymouse said.
  • Reply 111 of 172
    Quote:

Oh I just thought Apple always invents everything and has them available first. \

I forgot:

1.) Microsoft has a Touch screen PC OS already available but Apple invented it.

Well, Apple did have the Newton...

Quote:

2.) Microsoft had the first available Task Bar (since the 90's) but Apple invented it before they released their Dock in OSX.

The task bar was Microsoft's answer to the classic Apple menu bar that is always found on the screen and gave access to more functionality than just the foreground application and even copied the clock.

Microsoft, to be different, placed theirs on the bottom of the screen, and which for a lot of people at introduction, found very strange and awkward.
  • Reply 112 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Add OS to it for crying out loud ( I will fix it for you)- that's what I meant. Of course MS doesn't make computers! Jeesh.

Quote:

1.) Microsoft has a Touch screen PC already available but Apple invented it.

Let's see "Microsoft has a Touch screen PC OS already available but Apple invented it.".. That statement format is still wrong. Next you gonna tell me to remove PC

Your attempted correction still wrong. I will help you to rewrite it "Microsoft already has touch enabled OS but Apple invented it.".

You should think about what you are writing before you write it. It is not my responsibility to read your mind.
  • Reply 113 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

The task bar was Microsoft's answer to the classic Apple menu bar that is always found on the screen and gave access to more functionality than just the foreground application and even copied the clock.

Microsoft, to be different, placed theirs on the bottom of the screen, and which for a lot of people at introduction, found very strange and awkward.

....but got accustomed to using and became universal, hence OSX's dock.
  • Reply 114 of 172
    Quote:

OOOhh- a retraction.

Technically you are incorrect the iphone OS is technically according to Apple OSX and therefore OSX does have touch features.
  • Reply 115 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You should think about what you are writing before you write it. It is not my responsibility to read your mind.

Obviously- but it was mine's the other day to read AI's mind when they omitted vital information regarding Apple's iPhone profits. But you think you can have it both ways- right? WRONG.

Anybody could see I meant OS as MS has never made hardware with the exception of their very popular XBOX and mice.
  • Reply 116 of 172
    Quote:

What are you talking about? OS lite? Memory leaks?

Have you ever done any iPhone or even Cocoa development?

Memory leaks are notoriously easy to miss and can be a pain in the butt to correct for newer developers.

It's only developers that understand and agree with the reasoning behind the more restrictive iPhone platform; it's the non-developers that whine about it out of simple ignorance.
  • Reply 117 of 172
    Quote:

I'm trying to find when MS said they were copying Apple's ( really NeXT's) taskbar back in the eighties or nineties as anoymouse said.

Does it really make a difference? MS is a convicted monopoly abuser that clearly, blatantly, unabashedly apes Apple's every move. This is obvious, from the Zune, to the Stores, to WinMo. Just look at the way MS is run. Look at the CEO. Look at what they've done over the past 10 years. It's pretty clear who is doing the Lion's share of the "borrowing."

If Apple were doing any kind of copying, we shoud be seeing MS products that are actually worth copying!! There aren't any. All we see are Apple knockoffs that obviously arrive late to the game, and surprisingly enough for an operation with such deep pockets, they're rather poor copies.
  • Reply 118 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milles21 View Post

Technically you are incorrect the iphone OS is technically according to Apple OSX and therefore OSX does have touch features.

So technically Windows mobile is Windows and therefor MS Windows had mobile first??
  • Reply 119 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Does it really make a difference? MS is a convicted monopoly abuser that clearly, blatantly, unabashedly apes Apple's every move. This is obvious, from the Zune, to the Stores, to WinMo. Just look at the way MS is run. Look at the CEO. Look at what they've done over the past 10 years. It's pretty clear who is doing the Lion's share of the "borrowing."

If Apple were doing any kind of copying, we shoud be seeing MS products that are actually worth copying!! There aren't any. All we see are Apple knockoffs that obviously arrive late to the game, and surprisingly enough for an operation with such deep pockets, they're rather poor copies.

Why does everybody act on here like this is some new EVIL INVENTION of copying that MS is perpetuating.

MMMUUuuuuaaaaaHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the history and very nature of capitalism itself for crying out loud- be it cars , planes , trains, automobiles, hamburgers- you name it.

Such misguided energy. Really! Get over it. Nothing is an exact copy of anything.

No wonder people accuse y'all of being blinded followers of dictator Apple.
  • Reply 120 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Obviously- but it was mine's the other day to read AI's mind when they omitted vital information regarding Apple's iPhone profits. But you think you can have it both ways- right? WRONG.

Anybody could see I meant OS as MS has never made hardware with the exception of their very popular XBOX and mice.

What makes you think I represent AI?! When you have a discussion with another person you should be clear and concise. You can't simply say because some else did it then I can do it and get away with it. If I made such mistake then I will admit it but I didn't.