Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right?

Absolutely. Seen with my own eyes. I was in Montpellier on the day of the Opening.

P.S. So are all those youngsters at FNAC.
  • Reply 42 of 153
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Do you have a source?

I suspect you are correct, but it would be an interesting study.

I think I remember a big study about how people walked by an apple store and it "sucked them in" more than other stores or something.

Oh I'm sure people go into them without planning to- they are striking looking. But I wouldn't imagine them buying a big ticket computer impulsively- maybe an iPod.
  • Reply 43 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If your going to try and use big words at least understand what context to use them in.

If you're going to use words at all, at least use them correctly.
  • Reply 44 of 153
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publisher has plans to eventually create digital versions of all 18 of its titles through a new publishing form being created by Adobe called AIR.

Adobe Air is not "being created." It's an existing software platform that's used, for instance, for online subscriptions to the New York Times. In use it's something like an amalgam of Adobe Reader and a web browser, with the embedded fonts and defined layout of Reader, but the links, paging back and forth and of course web access of a browser. Adobe Air is currently at v2.0, and although it could still use some more development, it's a fairly capable program.

In actual use it's not simply a clone of the printed publication, but offers an on-screen version plus interactive navigation features.
  • Reply 45 of 153
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous.

Allow me to help you out with your reading comprehension problem: There's nothing in this article to indicate that Apple is considering, greedily or otherwise, a $2000 price for this possibly non-existent tablet device of unknown technology or capability. The article merely cites a Taiwanese publication's estimate that an OLED tablet might have to be priced at that level based on their current understanding of component costs.

Quite how you get from estimates about speculation based on rumour to "Apple greed" I don't know. Could personal bias possibly enter into it? Preposterous indeed...
  • Reply 46 of 153
    Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous. We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300. If only APple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Its not for nothing that the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's best selling Mac- it's its small size.

The 13" MBP is also the cheapest MBP model which is probably why it's the best selling.

I agree that $2k is way too much for what will essentially be a larger screen iPod Touch according to the rumours I've read. It will need to have a mass market price tag, whatever that is.
  • Reply 47 of 153
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Wow, people see $2000 and completely forget that the rumor mentions an $800 tablet as well. OLED won't justify a doubling in price to many consumers, it would have to have significantly upgraded internals as well. If this rumor is true, which is a big if, I think these devices would be very different from each other (arm vs intel, iPhone OS vs OSX, "i" branding vs mac branding). I'm still skeptical of using OSX on a tablet due to usability concerns (I think they would still have to give you a track pad and physical keyboard, but that hasn't made tablets popular in the past), but that is really the only way this rumor makes any sense to me.
  • Reply 48 of 153
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Why would anyone think this tablet would be a simple e-reader? If anything, it will be a full fledged PC in tablet form. At a minimum, I would expect nothing less than at least iPod Touch capability.

I doubt it will have anything to do with Adobe other than PDF. If anything, the push for HTML 5 capability we've seen with Safari will be the direction they go with. Flash is (hopefully) becoming irrelevant to Apple.

I could see people paying $2000 for a 10" touch screen with ultra thin form factor. Not a lot of people, but some. It will be a status type thing.

The benefit to everyone else is that it gets the price of OLED down in the end, which is all I care about.
  • Reply 49 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    IF Apple are going to be making an OLED model, and I LOVE OLED, they won't make a second LCD model. That would be too confusing.

No, if they make an OLED model they'll only make it and make it at a price that is less than what Digitimes thinks possible. Gut feeling says Apple won't make an OLED one for at least another year, at which point, if they do they'll drop the LCD model. So we're looking at the initial tablet being an LCD model, much to my dismay.
  • Reply 50 of 153
    OLED for tablet with functionality of e-reader?

I thought OLED technology would consume much more battery with white background, that is the normal way for reading.
  • Reply 51 of 153
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

IF Apple are going to be making an OLED model, and I LOVE OLED, they won't make a second LCD model. That would be too confusing.

No, if they make an OLED model they'll only make it and make it at a price that is less than what Digitimes thinks possible. Gut feeling says Apple won't make an OLED one for at least another year, at which point, if they do they'll drop the LCD model. So we're looking at the initial tablet being an LCD model, much to my dismay.

That seems more logical than two tablets. LCD until OLED costs come down. Sounds something like what Apple did with the original iPhone and the 3G.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous.

I pity them having to defend themselves on rumored products with rumored prices, rumored technologies and rumored specs. Apple cannot control what digitimes writes, don't call them greedy until you see the product and know its price. Then you're welcome to make any judgement you want. Until then you're just getting yourself worked up over a rumor.

Quote:

We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300.

A serious book reader would likely rather read an actual book, but I do agree e-ink is the next best option, and OLED or LCD aren't designed for reading full books, if you care about your eyes. That also said I do not think the Kindle is worth $300, even if they can not sell it much cheaper.

Quote:

If only Apple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

What discussion?

The MacBook Air is the best laptop I've ever owned, and doesn't suffer the sluggish performance issues that are inherent in 7-10" netbooks, and notebooks for that matter. Apple said the reason they went with a 13" model is to give users a full-size keyboard, and I happen to think that's not merely marketing, but rather that they are being sincere in what they say there. The keyboard on the Air is excellent and would not work anywhere near as well in a smaller size. Software keyboards are not same thing, so don't go there, please.

So although they didn't give a number of Mac fanboys what they wanted when they released the Air, I think the Air was the better move on their part, and I'm glad I own one. I own the SSD model, and you only need loot at my (current) signature to know my experiences with that.

Apple releasing a tablet is a completely different matter, which I have been known to discuss to death in the past. It's a different thing, and some people will always want a physical keyboard on their Mac, and the Air and products like it will be there for them when they do. Whatever size the Air is or was when it was released wouldn't change the fact that Apple has and would have had regardless some kind of touch-screen tablet in their product pipeline. The iPhone put that train on its tracks and there's going back.
  • Reply 53 of 153
    Quote:

I pity them having to defend themselves on rumored products with rumored prices, rumored technologies and rumored specs. Apple cannot control what digitimes writes, don't call them greedy until you see the product and know its price. Then you're welcome to make any judgement you want. Until then you're just getting yourself worked up over a rumor.

A serious book reader would likely rather read an actual book, but I do agree e-ink is the next best option, and OLED or LCD aren't designed for reading full books, if you care about your eyes. That also said I do not think the Kindle is worth $300, even if they can not sell it much cheaper.

What discussion?

The MacBook Air is the best laptop I've ever owned, and doesn't suffer the sluggish performance issues that are inherent in 7-10" netbooks, and notebooks for that matter. Apple said the reason they went with a 13" model is to give users a full-size keyboard, and I happen to think that's not merely marketing, but rather that they are being sincere in what they say there. The keyboard on the Air is excellent and would not work very well in a smaller size.

So although they didn't give a number of Mac fanboys what they wanted when they released the Air, I think the Air was the better move on their part, and I'm glad I own one. I own the SSD model, and you only need loot at my (current) signature to know my experiences with that.

Apple releasing a tablet is a completely different matter, which I have been known to discuss to death in the past. It's a different thing, and some people will always want a physical keyboard on their Mac, and the Air and products like it will be there for them when they do.

The air is too big. A smaller form notebook with a modified keyboard would suit me and others better who never fell for the thinness feature. The smaller full powered laptop is the 13" MBP and hence the best seller.

As for the discussion on the tablet. If a small 7-10 notebook running full OS was avilable what need would there be for a tablet running iPhone apps?
  • Reply 54 of 153
    Quote:

The air is too big.

I have owned one for 8 months, it's not too big. It's a slim, light, sturdy, fast, excellent portable computer with a superb keyboard and a great screen. There is no one computer that will suit everyone's needs perfectly, Apple made a call. They chose to include a full-size keyboard, and go for higher performance than they otherwise could have with a smaller screen dimension.

Quote:

A smaller form notebook with a modified keyboard would suit me and others better who never fell for the thinness feature. The smaller full powered laptop is the 13" MBP and hence the best seller.

Price is the reason the Air doesn't sell like the MacBook.

Quote:

As for the discussion on the tablet. If a small 7-10 notebook running full OS was avilable what need would there be for a tablet running iPhone apps?

The tablet will not run iPhone apps, the tablet will not run iPhone apps. If the tablet runs iPhone apps I will be completely shocked. FYI all we really need is food and shelter, so give up on these arguments.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    I don't imagine Apple will use an OLED screen if it will increase the costs by $1,000. There's just no benefit worthwhile enough to do this, and whatever they do with their operating system, I'd imagine it will use light backgrounds, not dark backgrounds.
  • Reply 56 of 153
    Quote:

Price is the reason the Air doesn't sell like the MacBook.

Price? More like looks and power.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    Quote:

The tablet will not run iPhone apps, the tablet will not run iPhone apps. If the tablet runs iPhone apps I will be completely shocked. FYI all we really need is food and shelter, so give up on these arguments.

It could run them as widgets of some sort if they liked.
  • Reply 58 of 153
    Quote:

Target demographic. There aren't so many people out there interested in paying extra money for the reduction in weight and size. I know some college students and people in business like realestate who like their MacBook Airs very much. I would never buy one.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    Quote:

looks? Aren't you one of the many who complain about the "racoon" look, which the air lacks?

And the macbook air is meant to be a portable type-writer. Its not lacking power unless you bought it for the wrong reasons.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If your going to try and use big words at least understand what context to use them in.

Will you two stop whining. Extremeskater, maybe that comment 70% of Apple shopper are teenagers that are never going to buy anything is a little astronomical. But even still I goto the apple store just to see their new products with no intension of buying them. anantksundaram was justing trying to enlighten us all that Apple Retail store are kicking ass with $6,600,000,000 in sales. So you two calm down already.

Onto the OLED...

HAHA, no way did apple pay 500 million for 500,000-1 million OLED screens. A tablet with an OLED would just be absurd. It is a fairly new and unimplemented technology and in my mind would do an inferior job than a LCD. While I'm sure Apple R&D could make the technology work fabulously with the OLED, Apple makes products for the masses now. This rumor is bogus, show me another Apple product that you gained one feature for double the price. (ie LCD vs OLED)