Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, speak for yourself. I don't care what SJ says - I'm missing Flash on my iPhone. \

Me too- and I use flash on my 3 year old Itel iMac and it works just fine. I am so glad I got the special order graphics RAM.
  • Reply 122 of 153
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous. We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300. If only APple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Its not for nothing that the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's best selling Mac- it's its small size.

And price.

13" MacBook pro here in NZ starts with NZ$1999.

Cheapest C2D 13" PCs usually start around NZ$1500+, a bit cheaper but you can also get plastic MacBook for same money (more or less).

Good 13" PCs like EliteBook or T300 all start over NZ$2000, which makes MacBook Pro very tempting. In fact, if I decide to go for 13" on my next laptop purchase, MacBook is likely to be favourite (considering current offerings).

However, 15" MacBook Pro starts with NZ$2900... not so good, not at all...
  • Reply 123 of 153
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,006member
    Quote:

but realistically, $2000 tablet wouldn't cover much more than Paris- Hilton-circle-of-friends market segment.

No sh!t Sherlock.

Sorry to be rude, but it is tiresome that people keep complaining about the (rumored) $2K OLED model as if there wasn't also a (rumored) $700 LED version.
  • Reply 124 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Try not to sink to that level. Although the guy is wacky to say the least, I try not to resort to that sort of name calling. I know you mean no harm, I'm just trying to keep the peace round here.

When he gets too much I usually go tell him to have a coffee or a nap, it's for the best.

Some people get a kick out of calling other people (companies, products) silly names.

You are making valid attempt here, but I wouldn't hold my breath... \
  • Reply 125 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

No sh!t Sherlock.

Sorry to be rude, but it is tiresome that people keep complaining about the (rumored) $2K OLED model as if there wasn't also a (rumored) $700 LED version.

That's fine, my dear Watson

I did say would not, instead of will not. That is because I don't expect it to happen. I'd expect OLED to come with later updates, as one of new key features.

But if it does come out, I expect it to flop just based on price.

My opinion only. And in that line - I don't have any final opinion on $700, so I'm not stating it. Still high price, but might be acceptable for me if device is right. I did pay contract-free 3GS more than that, anyway.

But for $2K, my opinion is pretty much well formed - I can't think of a feature I need that would justify that price, and thus the reason why I'm commenting only that option.

Does this make more sense?
  • Reply 126 of 153
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

...The Suzuki...

I am gonna have to remember this one...!
  • Reply 127 of 153
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

I'm going to posit that there is no chance at all that an Apple Tablet will merely, or even mostly, be an e-reader. That's completely nuts. Nonetheless, it's worth looking at that application to see what Apple is going for and what technologies make sense in that light.

Let's look at the publishing industry. Look down. No, look farther down. See that rapidly receding figure about to go splat at the bottom of the cliff? No, farther down. Yeah, the speck. That's the publishing industry. They are looking at what Apple did for the music industry and thinking that maybe they want a piece of that. Circulation of physical media is down sharply, and physical media is expensive and labor-intensive to produce.

Now, let's look at the Kindle. Superficially, it solves this problem, except for one little tiny thing: It offers roughly the same reading experience that users of NCSA Mosaic experienced on the web in 1995. The font is always the same. The background is always the same. Images bring back fond memories of the days when .xbms roamed the web. The design that remains is one step above what you can get by downloading books from Project Gutenberg and reading them in TextEdit. This leads to two other problems that a heavy user of the Kindle that I know well has run into: First, as there are no pages, it's useless for scholarly work: You can't generate footnotes. Second, and far more serious, is the problem that since all books look and feel exactly alike, they all blend together and it becomes difficult and tedious to figure out exactly where that passage is that you're looking for, or to remember who said what.

For these and for other reasons, publishers really sweat things like paper and margins and typeface when they set a document up for print. In the case of magazines, there's a house style; in the case of books, each is a one-off. But everything from the weight of the type to the feel of the paper is part of the experience of reading a book or an article. Would the New Yorker still be the New Yorker in Times New Roman?

Fortunately, Apple has a handle on publishing. They have a handle on presentation. Solving the problem of how to most effectively bring publishing into the electronic age is right up their alley. They just have to look at the problems and how to solve them. The stickiest wicket is almost certainly font licensing. Books and magazines can use pricey fonts from legendary foundries because the font itself never leaves the publisher. But if you typeset your document in, say, Sentinel and then e-publish it, Hoefler & Frere-Jones would like to 1) have some say in the structure of that license, and 2) have some assurance that people won't be able to extract the font they got with a $2 magazine and use it for free. HTML5 does not solve this problem. Adobe AIR does. The foundry gets paid, the magazine or book gets its distinctive look, and the reader gets to associate (and merge) the visual impact of the font and layout with (and into) the contents of the book. If there are pages then 1) that's another win for designers, and 2) the e-reader can be used for scholarship, not just for entertainment, making it better not only for scholars, but for students.

The tactile feel would be gone, but I can imagine using a visual sample of real paper instead of just blank white as a background, and including a page-turning sound appropriate to the size and weight of the "paper" when the reader flips a page, to come as close as is practicable to replicating a book. There can be all sorts of advantages, like dog-earing pages and writing in the margins non-destructively.

Then comes the hard part: Apple has to make this run and run well on an ARM processor without putting an undue strain on the battery.

If Apple pulls this off, they can do for textual publishing what the iTunes Store did for music publishing, and they can use the iTunes Store to do it.

Awesome post...!
  • Reply 128 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I appreciate your advice, I really do, but look over his posting history...

I'd rather ride a wire brush

Trust me, I know you have your points, and I'm sure you're 100% right, but I try not to encourage or discourage him too much. You cannot win against a crazy person, not that ts is crazy or anything
  • Reply 129 of 153
    Quote:

Some people get a kick out of calling other people (companies, products) silly names.

You are making valid attempt here, but I wouldn't hold my breath... \

If you hold your breath for too long I here you can die
  • Reply 130 of 153
    Quote:

You tell him not to call me a name and then call me a name. Now that's rich!

I only did that out of affection for you! ☺

You think I thought you'd miss that?
  • Reply 131 of 153
    Quote:

I could care less for the skinny underpowered bitch myself.

You couldn't be more wrong about Shakira.
  • Reply 132 of 153
    I have definitely provoked him too much now. Now I shall go get a cuppa, for a change
  • Reply 133 of 153
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Most of the time 70% of people in an Apple store are teenagers either playing around with the isight on an iMac or using an iPhone they are never going to buy. If Apple charged admission to get into their stores you would be able to throw a gernade in there and not hit anyone.

Yes, that must be why the Apple Stores sell more merchandise per sq ft than any other store by a large margin...
  • Reply 134 of 153
    Quote:

Everytime I go in there- its teenagers on facebook or myspace hogging up the machines or genius bar problems.

Yes, that must be why the Apple Stores sell more merchandise per sq ft than any other store by a large margin...
  • Reply 135 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd rather ride a wire brush

Trust me, I know you have your points, and I'm sure you're 100% right, but I try not to encourage or discourage him too much. You cannot win against a crazy person, not that ts is crazy or anything

Why must you encourage newbee? And you're sure he's 100% right? Yet I'm the crazy one-right?
  • Reply 136 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

OMG- another one. One has nothing to do with the other! You need to reread all the prior posts- I can't spoon feed, I simply can't.
  • Reply 137 of 153
    Quote:

Oh you're sooo condenscending yet ignorant. I guess I need to explain something so obvious to everyone but you- I would have thought you much smarter than that.

The whole marketing of the MacBook Air was based on its looks (read thinness) as it could fit in an interoffice envelope. Its whole raison d'etre was that is was sooo thin and light in its weight. It was supposed to make us like something just because it looked like a thin notepad and weighed like a feather. I could care less for the skinny underpowered bitch myself.

You still don't get Apple (or marketing in general for that matter). The whole point of the MacBook Air was to design the thinest, lightest full size notebook for people who hate to carry a computer around.

It's conception first. Marketing comes later. If the product is crap, no amount of marketing will save it.

Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for the rest of us, you were dead wrong (once again) with your prediction that the MacBook Air was going to be a failure.
  • Reply 138 of 153
    Quote:

Why must you encourage newbee? And you're sure he's 100% right? Yet I'm the crazy one-right?

Not sure about nothing.
  • Reply 139 of 153
    Quote:

I can't spoon feed, I simply can't.

Which reminds me, true story:

Two weeks ago or so ago, I was having brunch with a friend of mine in a diner, and this rather repulsive unwashed, unshaven, overweight, middle aged man with greasy hair poking out under his baseball cap and his plaid shirt hanging out over his gut, came in with a younger guy. The older guy was spewing such total nonsense about Apple that I was wondering whether or not I was in the presence of the infamous teckstud.

The way he was holding his fork with his fist and shoveling his food in his mouth while talking with his mouth full, it's no wonder his friend had to excuse himself to go to the bathroom.

Anyway, just wondering...
  • Reply 140 of 153
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,006member
    Quote:

But if it does come out, I expect it to flop just based on price.

Well, yes and no.

If the only real difference between the two (rumored) options was the screen, then the super-deluxe-extra-money-lookit-what-I-got OLED version doesn't have to move many units to avoid "flop" status. Assuming that research and development and production costs can be shared with the low end model, of course. I would expect it to be the LCD version that determines the success of the platform for at least the first few years.

Meanwhile, the OLED version would keep Apple's fingers in the "chic" pie (good for image) until such time as costs come down and then they would be well positioned with a refined/optimized OLED device (good for R&D). Again, this is predicated on (what Apple considers) the low end model succeeding.

Quote:

My opinion only. And in that line - I don't have any final opinion on $700, so I'm not stating it. Still high price, but might be acceptable for me if device is right. I did pay contract-free 3GS more than that, anyway.

I agree. There is no way to know at this point. Optimists can point to Apple's successes (iPod, iPhone) and pessimists can point to their dissapointments (Apple Hi-Fi, Apple TV) but no one here really knows what this device will offer for its price...

Quote:

But for $2K, my opinion is pretty much well formed - I can't think of a feature I need that would justify that price, and thus the reason why I'm commenting only that option.

Does this make more sense?

Yes, thank you.

But I still think outrage or indignation at the price of the high end is misplaced. If the OLED screens add that much to the cost, who cares if Apple offeres it to those who may be interested. It is the LCD version that has the possibility of changing the game (again).