Motorola passes Apple in brand loyalty among men - study

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Motorola?? LOL

Yes Motorola, and if you see a few people on here owned their fair share of Motorola phones before getting an iPhone. It's very easy for us to like a company that we liked in the past. That's why the sudden spike in brand loyalty. A lot of us know Motorola a lot longer than we know Apple.
  • Reply 82 of 116
    The Droid marketing was done well enough that it was bound to generate substantial interest in men of a certain age, almost regardless of how decent the device is. Just licensing the name "Droid" was a huge step toward significant attention.

As for the device: I'll definitely give Android a look when the contract on my 3Gs is up, why wouldn't I?

I'll be particularly demanding on how well the nitty-gritty touch aspects of the interface work compared to the iPhone. The iPhone does touch SO well. And of course what the application marketplace is like in 2011 will be a factor too.

The iPhone gets more embedded in my life all the time, and that will make it harder and harder to switch.
  • Reply 83 of 116
    This is a bunch of BS, this has nothing to do with brand loyalty it is just that Motorola has a new device and has been marketing it especially during sports events so the average Joe out there has it fresh in his mind, if Apple does the same marketing blitz it would change again, this is not about brand loyalty it is what is fresh in the dumb ass consumer mind!!!
  • Reply 84 of 116
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post

This is a bunch of BS, this has nothing to do with brand loyalty it is just that Motorola has a new device and has been marketing it especially during sports events so the average Joe out there has it fresh in his mind, if Apple does the same marketing blitz it would change again, this is not about brand loyalty it is what is fresh in the dumb ass consumer mind!!!

Actually you're correct in many ways. Many people are like fish and go for the flashy shiny bait.
  • Reply 85 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Video from a iPhone is garbage. My 5 year old $500 camera does better and it has 10x zoom and auto everything. Plus I can add storage with more SD cards so I never run out on a trip with no signal or wifi to upload videos. SD slot is now standard on all new Mac's, but I use a USB converter.

I got a AT&T phone, only cost me voice as what I use. This last month I yacked a bit, it cost me $20. If I lose the phone overboard while fishing, it's only $20 for a new phone and minutes, compared to several hundred for a new iPhone.

I calculated the savings once and the iPhone and two year contract was equal to a new MacBook Pro every two years. I can get a iPhone no sweat, just don't see any value in getting one.

All I need now is a iPhone app emulator to run apps on my Mac.

Which I will check out the SDK, see if will work in reverse.

The video on the iPhone is great for an average user, obviously you would not use the iPhone for video if you are a professional videographer, but for taking video with a phone it is great and is perfect for the average user, the droids video is the same as the iPhone, and a video camera is still going to do better, do you have any brains, this is a pretty dumb comment!!!
  • Reply 86 of 116
    Shouldn't brand loyalty have something to do with whether you would use a certain brand repeatedly? This survey does not appear to capture that. The graph seems to be under the "recommend" tab. The brand that you would recommend probably says something about your attitude toward that brand, but I'm not convinced that it's exactly the same thing as brand loyalty.

it's not even clear from the article that these 5,000 people own any products from the 3 companies mentioned. Would it not make more sense to survey people who own such products and find out if they would choose that brand for their next purchase?

What the heck does a 2 week period of time mean? Especially after the very recent launch of a product (Droid). Why does the survey company think that the survey results are the result of Verizon's ads rather than all of the publicity around the launch of the Droid?

How do you interpret these results in terms of any competitive advantage that any of these companies has when you consider future sales and market share? I'm not convinced of anything form these results.
  • Reply 87 of 116
    Daily metrics like this don't follow US consumerism all that well, do they? I would think places like Japan, where consumer trends hit hard-and-fast (probably by an order of magnitude), that a daily poll like this would be more necessary.

Otherwise, i would think a week to week survey would provide more clarity and iron out noisy data.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 88 of 116
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    All this survey is actually measuring is "what was the most recent commercial that impressed you?" but that has nothing to do with "brand loyalty." really, how silly to suggest that. so its stats show huge sudden changes all the time, ephemeral, meaningless.

brand loyalty is in fact measured by repeat purchases of products of the same brand, period. duh. the more repeats, the stronger the loyalty. that is the survey that would matter.

i suppose there is also "brand identification" - where some people - not that many - will profess that they are a "Ford guy" or a "Chevy guy" (from back in the day) or some such. this is big tho in sports - the "faithful," the Cheeseheads, etc.
  • Reply 89 of 116
    Didn't the Droid JUST come out? I find this statistic VERY suspect. It cannot even possibly be in that many people's hands so either the original statistic was WAY OFF or someone moved a decimal point somewhere.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    Quote:

Motorola, "motor" is definably more appealing to most men, not just the name either. The phones work and are reasonably priced, very attractive to those who earn their money and think along value and cost.

Cheap is cheap. Dont mean that its worth it,, its just cheap. MHO

Quote:

Apple on the other hand has always appealed to the more visual appealing types: women, children, gays and artist men like myself. Who on many times, rather pay a fortune to have the flashiest device and more likely to be caught by impulsive decisions.

As a NASA engineer, I am neither an artist nor gay, I just like a great product that works. Simple.

Quote:

I avoided the iPhone completely, unlike the many iPods I've owned, there is no way I'm going to pay over $100 a month for a device that doesn't do much of anything very well that I can't do better with regular devices or my MacBook Pro.

I'm still waiting for a iPhone app emulator, it can't be THAT hard, the processor in the iPhone isn't very powerful that a dual core can't emulate it.

If its so easy, then you should do it. Just a thought. Apple spent mucho time and effort making a great product, great UI, and integrated system. Just a thought. :-)

Quote:

So what's the holdup, nobody wants to get rich anymore?

So, when do you see delivering the next iPhone killer. LOL

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 91 of 116
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Real. Men. Prefer. Apples.

the article is using stats to show that Men 18-34 do not have that much loyalty, brand or otherwise. Must be written by a woman.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:

Apple on the other hand has always appealed to the more visual appealing types: women, children, gays and artist men like myself.

The minute I read the headline of the article, "Motorola passes Apple in brand loyalty among men - study" I'm thinking "oh boy, here we go" and "what can I do to throw a little gasoline on the fire?" you know, get the fanboys really, really riled up! This is awesome and I've got nothing to add. I'm nominating the above comment and user for AI Comment of the Year!
  • Reply 93 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Best quote of the day! I used to be 18+ and really didn't know sh*t till I was about 50.

Just wait until you are 70... all the secrets are revealed!

• Reply 94 of 116
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I don't know about you but to me that slogan always sounded a bit gay.

btw my first phone was a Motorola Microtac:-

The phone I was using before my iPhone was a V3XXX, with a few scattered here and there among the other brands I used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

The minute I read the headline of the article, "Motorola passes Apple in brand loyalty among men - study" I'm thinking "oh boy, here we go" and "what can I do to throw a little gasoline on the fire?" you know, get the fanboys really, really riled up! This is awesome and I've got nothing to add. I'm nominating the above comment and user for AI Comment of the Year!

• Reply 95 of 116
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfhiggs View Post

And you mean "your first Blackberry Curve." "First ever" is redundant, and a bit retarded, which would explain why your post made no attempt to further conversation other than shout that you use Blackberry.

Is there a reason you use RIM instead of Apple or Motorola? What qualifies your brand loyalty to RIM?

Another thing to consider is the fact that Droid just came out. It hasn't even been on the market for a full month, I find it strange that anyone could provide a valid source of polling and statistics to say that a product this new could really hold any real measure of brand loyalty.

I guess we will see how things change in the following months.

Well seeing as how i just caught three gross errors in your weak ass post, trying to be a grammar nazi is about as cool as using a dollar sign for the "s" in Microsoft. If your going to try to make a feeble attempt to correct someone, maybe you should double check yourself like using an aside that doesn't make any fucking sense.

My first EVER Curve was a 8330, but i am a Bold 9000 user. The gorgeous screen, unrivaled keyboard and screen, unmatched email client, blazing speed and full multi-tasking. Apple nor Motorola offers anything in this regard.

As well, its not like the Droid is the ONLY PHONE MADE BY MOTOROLA. If i still had VZW maybe i would give the phone a shot until the new Blackberry Tour drops next year.
  • Reply 96 of 116
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Would you like me to send you a 5MB email from my iPhone explaining where your Bold meets it's match?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

My first EVER Curve was a 8330, but i am a Bold 9000 user...

unmatched email client...

...Apple nor Motorola offers anything in this regard.

You can reply later when you get to a PC.

Game.

Set.

Match.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Would you like me to send you a 5MB email from my iPhone explaining where your Bold meets it's match?

You can reply later when you get to a PC.

Game.

Set.

Match.

Feel free, I'd laugh in your face when you'd realize that I'm on BES and not BIS.

NO SOUP FOR YOU! COME BACK, ONE YEAR!
  • Reply 98 of 116
    Do you really have to print every piece of garbage press lease that is sent to you? Can you use a little common sense to vet the information as presented? You don't have to be a trained statistician to realize that less than a month of numbers does not a trend make. Any product will experience a surge in sales upon release, especially when backed by the marketing and advertising budgets of corporate monoliths such as Google and Motorola. And you just gave those two corporation a bunch of free "sucker" advertising by printing spin that their ads guys write based on numbers obtained from a survey company that is notoriously lax in their survey standards in the first place. These numbers mean nothing. They might, time will tell, but for now, they mean zilch, nada. The only thing they represent is journalistic laziness being exploited by savvy corporateers.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Apple on the other hand has always appealed to the more visual appealing types: women, children, gays and artist men like myself.

Are you saying you are visually appealing?

Isn't Tinky Winky visually appealing?

• Reply 100 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

I switched from PC to Mac for the same reason. I used to spend hours & hours each month fixing weird issues that would just arise with our PC

Can you name a pair of such issues?