Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 241 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

More like my Vespa and my Lexus.

Why did you edit out the "Helleaux?" you had at the end there?

I thought it made you look rather... fabulous. Perhaps even more so than me.
  • Reply 242 of 328
    The ad is just Motorola admitting their phone is ugly and can't compete with the iPhone on looks and sex appeal.

And the last thing I'd want is a phone that looks like it has HAL inside...'cause I'd actually want my phone to work and not go crazy.
  • Reply 243 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I guess someone hasn't been reading the tech news! Android is starting to pop up on anything that has a touchscreen. Tablets, smartphones, picture frames, netbooks, and even a freaking in-car system. I'd say Android is proving itself very well.

Droid has proven itself too, with at least 250,000 sales during its launch week and on track to hit the 1 million mark before the year's end. For a phone on 1 carrier, in 1 country, that's very impressive.

But back to the topic. The one reason this ad is successful? It causes controversy. Controversy leads to recognition of an item. Whether or not this is positive or negative to the Droid is a matter of personal opinion. But you can't deny that it's getting the Droid name out there more. Hell we're all discussing it right now! Exactly what Motorola wants!

My favorite line was "duct taped to a Scud missile..."

We're all waiting.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/10...-satisfaction/
  • Reply 244 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

totally agree...

this is just the beginning of the end for motorola...bye bye motorola!
  • Reply 245 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The genius of the iPhone design is it appeals to both men and woman.

you are very right, bravo
  • Reply 246 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Why did you edit out the "Helleaux?" you had at the end there?

I thought it made you look rather... fabulous. Perhaps even more so than me.

I wanted to see if you were paying attention.
  • Reply 247 of 328
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

totally agree...

this is just the beginning of the end for motorola...bye bye motorola!

Motorola is one bad christmas away from financial disaster --- that is why they are willing to go negative in their ads.
  • Reply 248 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Motorola is one bad christmas away from financial disaster --- that is why they are willing to go negative in their ads.

This ad does wreak of desperation, as previously stated, but Moto is far from crumbling. They have a market cap of 19 Billion, or about 4x more than Apple had at its low point, and it looks like the company as a whole made money last quarter, even though they took a $183M loss on mobiles. If they can pull out a million droids for 2009 I think we?ll see a more confident, better Moto willing to spend some decent R&D for a decent handset next year. I certainly hope so.
  • Reply 249 of 328
    "does rip through the Web like a circular saw through a ripe banana,"

This statement will come back to bite them, web access from any phone is only as good as the carrier makes it with network throughput, phone has little to do with it.
  • Reply 250 of 328
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Motorola appears to be a very poorly managed company, going back some years, and I'm not sure the fact they've managed to put someone else's OS on a reasonably engineered phone really changes that. They might have the Android phone of the moment, but one thing's for sure-- there will be quite a few more, from quite a few manufacturers.

Given their simply dismal performance in the handset market as of late, is there any reason to think that they've somehow turned a corner by slapping Android on a phone? Can they really execute? Can they follow up?
  • Reply 251 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lggeek View Post

"does rip through the Web like a circular saw through a ripe banana,"

This statement will come back to bite them, web access from any phone is only as good as the carrier makes it with network throughput, phone has little to do with it.

And, ironically, if the Droid is as successful as Verizon hopes, that will the be agent of network slowdowns, as the previously, relatively unstressed system is confronted with sharply higher data demands.
  • Reply 252 of 328
    leighrleighr Posts: 255member
    Hmmm..... so why does the Motorola handset and interface look just like an iPhone then?
  • Reply 253 of 328
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

I wanted to see if you were paying attention.

Just keep driving up your post count with self-centered comments.
  • Reply 254 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Just keep driving up your post count with self-centered comments.

It's spamming. It's really all he does.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html

See point 8.
  • Reply 255 of 328
    Quote:

Can you seriously see any NFL player with a white iPhone?

Yes. Billy "White Shoes" Johnson didn't have a problem with the color...
  • Reply 256 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen."

"It's not a princess, it's a robot,"

the Droid "fast -- racehorse duct-taped to a Scud missile fast."

Who WRITES this crap? More important, I suppose - who approves and pays for this?

1) People LIKE beauty queens. That's why the Miss America Pageant, and a zillion clones of it, will run forever. And 'clueless'? Tell it to the swimsuit competition.

2) Uh... people like princesses TOO. (See #1, above)

3) Scud missile fast?? You mean, the missiles that are famous mostly for NOT HITTING THEIR TARGETS?? Those Scud missiles?

You know who these ads are REALLY for? People who were going to buy a Droid ANYWAY. For everyone else, they're a complete and utter waste. These are some of the worst ads I've ever seen, and Droid sales will reflect that fact.
  • Reply 257 of 328
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I got a white iPhone and I'm unabashed about it.
  • Reply 258 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3rd Reich View Post

Looks like some white iPhone owners are a little butt hurt over the ad

So the marketers did their job. Look how many comments and how quickly this post got this many replies. As others have said, most iPhones owners are kinda rainbow in regards to, OMG my case got scuffed and related flaws .

BTW, for the geezers reading didn't Apple used to have a "rainbow" colored logo? Guess we know what their target market is

Just checked your posting history, Mr. "3rd Reich", and every time you've posted it's been some homophobic bullshit.

So you're a little Nazi with special interests?

Could I please impose on the crowd to IM your friendly mod and get this guy banned? He has one reason to be here, and it ain't pretty.
  • Reply 259 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3rd Reich View Post

Looks like some white iPhone owners are a little butt hurt over the ad

So the marketers did their job. Look how many comments and how quickly this post got this many replies. As others have said, most iPhones owners are kinda rainbow in regards to, OMG my case got scuffed and related flaws .

BTW, for the geezers reading didn't Apple used to have a "rainbow" colored logo? Guess we know what their target market is

I think it?s a good ad, but in all fairness this thread would still be on the 3rd page if not for Teckstud?s asinine comments and people responding to him in a vain attempt to shed some light on his ignorance.
  • Reply 260 of 328
    You know a company is running out of ideas and getting desperate when they resort to petty name-calling.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, Motorola.