Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 221 of 328
    Heh heh.... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...DCEBgD9CCMV481

"Dear FCC: We are simply protecting some of our he-men from becoming feminized."
  • Reply 222 of 328
    For all the adds I'm still not quite sure what droid even DOES (apart from I'm assuming make phone calls) They've spent so much time bashing iPhone they forgot to promote their own product.

Just goes to show how good iPhone actually is when a company focuses their ENTIRE add campaign on trying to make iPhone look bad. I guess we know where the bar is..
  • Reply 223 of 328
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The genius of the iPhone design is it appeals to both men and woman.

It appeals to both really cause the interface makes sense.
  • Reply 224 of 328
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

For all the adds I'm still not quite sure what droid even DOES (apart from I'm assuming make phone calls) They've spent so much time bashing iPhone they forgot to promote their own product.

Just goes to show how good iPhone actually is when a company focuses their ENTIRE add campaign on trying to make iPhone look bad. I guess we know where the bar is..

I think there's an underlying conceptual incoherence in trying to link some fairly dry technical points to machismo and virility.

It would be like the Linux camp suddenly deciding that the best way to desktop domination would be to start beating their chests and screaming "Open source, faggots!"
  • Reply 225 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I do use and am a proud owner of a 32GB 3 Gs - BLACK.

With a rubberized orange and black liquid resistant case. got it?

Gays really love their black rubber and leather.
  • Reply 226 of 328
    Advertising is often stupid and treats potential customers as though they have a brain the size of a pea and stuff like this shows that Motorola fall into that category as well as being sexist into the bargain. They manage to insult men by assuming that they respond positively to inane OTT drivel about browsers, saws and bananas and they insult women by assuming that they are only interested in surface and know and/or care nothing for the technical merits of anything they purchase.
  • Reply 227 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Gays really love their black rubber and leather.

Oh and all this time I thought it was white plastic phones.
  • Reply 228 of 328
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    One truly ironic thing about this advert is that Motorola's most successful phone was the RAZR, which was all about appearance with very little else going for it. I thought it was a great looking phone the first time I saw one. I still think it's a great looking phone, but otherwise it's a POS. I should know, I'm still using one.
  • Reply 229 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

One truly ironic thing about this advert is that Motorola's most successful phone was the RAZR, which was all about appearance with very little else going for it. I thought it was a great looking phone the first time I saw one. I still think it's a great looking phone, but otherwise it's a POS. I should know, I'm still using one.

Now that's funny
  • Reply 230 of 328
    Quote:

Oh and all this time I thought it was white plastic phones.

Next you'll be telling us about your Harley and your Jeep.
  • Reply 231 of 328
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Advertising is often stupid and treats potential customers as though they have a brain the size of a pea and stuff like this shows that Motorola fall into that category as well as being sexist into the bargain. They manage to insult men by assuming that they respond positively to inane OTT drivel about browsers, saws and bananas and they insult women by assuming that they are only interested in surface and know and/or care nothing for the technical merits of anything they purchase.

Absolutely, but usually when an advertiser explicitly references a competitor, it's based on something most people at least sort of resonate with, or can at least understand.

If Motorola had wanted to market the Droid as a death machine, just straight up, no mention of anything else, OK. I don't think that makes any sense, personally, because I don't think many people think of their phone as a cudgel, or dildo, or gun. Or a robot from the future sent back to kill us all. Even video game console ads tend toward trippy empowerment over raw metal pounding, or at least leaven the latter with the former.

But that plus "ha ha we riddle the body of the fag phone with titanium bullets" is just insane. It doesn't make any sense, it doesn't reference any real ambient sensibility, and the net effect is that 12 year boys actually made the ad.
  • Reply 232 of 328
    A "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen"? A jealous bitchy drag queen couldn't have said it better. Apple clueless? ROFL What Reality Distortion Field do they have over there?
  • Reply 233 of 328
    Quote:

Well are you wearing oxygenhose right now or what ?

Perhaps, but you were still being a little sissy about a white plastic iPhone.

But I know you really just prefer the black to better match your evening gowns.
  • Reply 234 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Perhaps, but you were still being a little sissy about a white plastic iPhone.

But I know you really just prefer the black to better match your evening gowns.

Dude - Motorola is bringing up the white plastic iPhone. I'm just explaining it to all y'all.
  • Reply 235 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Next you'll be telling us about your Harley and your Jeep.

More like my Vespa and my Lexus.
  • Reply 236 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At the end of the day, the iPhone is within 2% of RIM and about to pass them, has destroyed 10 years' worth of WinMo "development", and has relegated the Pre to swirling-in-the-bowl status. All in two years.

Android has yet to prove itself. Droid has yet to prove itself. And if Google releases their own phone (as we're hearing), there goes Verizon's premiere device.

We've been through all the "Macs are fruity" and "Macs are for artsy types" business years ago. It didn't work. No effect. Won't work against the iPhone. Apple simply sold more Macs. Apple will simply sell more iPhones. Done. The public knows what Apple represents, it's not for nothing that Apple commands ungodly mindshare.

I guess someone hasn't been reading the tech news! Android is starting to pop up on anything that has a touchscreen. Tablets, smartphones, picture frames, netbooks, and even a freaking in-car system. I'd say Android is proving itself very well.

Droid has proven itself too, with at least 250,000 sales during its launch week and on track to hit the 1 million mark before the year's end. For a phone on 1 carrier, in 1 country, that's very impressive.

But back to the topic. The one reason this ad is successful? It causes controversy. Controversy leads to recognition of an item. Whether or not this is positive or negative to the Droid is a matter of personal opinion. But you can't deny that it's getting the Droid name out there more. Hell we're all discussing it right now! Exactly what Motorola wants!

My favorite line was "duct taped to a Scud missile..."
  • Reply 237 of 328
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I want my cell phone to be my "bitch", not the other way around. The Druid wants you to be its bitch. I say, "No way, Jose--and I ain't paying those superfluous Verizon monthly fees either!"

Who would want a pooping horse in their pocket anyway?
  • Reply 238 of 328
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    I think Verizon/Motorola picked a good point of attack.

Alot of buds I know, and I'm over 30, don't like things that aren't "manly." And while the iPhone ain't out and out girly, it isn't "manly" either.

That being said, they also don't want nerdy or geeky things either. And the Droid (especially the experience) is nerdier and geekier from what I can tell.
  • Reply 239 of 328
    Quote:

Dude - Motorola is bringing up the white plastic iPhone. I'm just explaining it to all y'all.

Right.

BTW...

Not to pick on you, but you realize... the Lexus alone disqualifies someone from providing color/style explanations. Capital T tacky, make Escalades look almost classy. I don't mean to nitpick, but people don't typically buy a Lexus out of necessity and no amount of glue-on faux chrome or gold will ever make that L emblem into a BMW or Mercedes.

With the Vespa & black/orange rubber iPhone... just sinking deeper and deeper.

Have you heard the joke:

What do plump girls and Vespas have in common?

Both fun to ride, just don't let anyone see you doing it.
  • Reply 240 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Right.

BTW...

Not to pick on you, but you realize... the Lexus alone disqualifies someone from providing color/style explanations. Capital T tacky, make Escalades look almost classy. I don't mean to nitpick, but people don't typically buy a Lexus out of necessity and no amount of glue-on faux chrome or gold will ever make that L emblem into a BMW or Mercedes.

With the Vespa & black/orange rubber iPhone... just sinking deeper and deeper.

Have you heard the joke:

What do plump girls and Vespas have in common?

Both fun to ride, just don't let anyone see you doing it.

That's true- I just had Lexus on my mind. Someone at work just got one. I live in the city -no need for a car.

I'll have to use that Vespa line- maybe tonight. Peace.