Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 161 of 328
    Typically american to dumb it down to some macho BS. It's about usability and not hormones.
  • Reply 162 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola has continued its assault on the iPhone with a new commercial that indirectly compares Apple's handset to a "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen."

The new commercial for the Motorola Droid, entitled "Pretty," debuted on TV this week. Thought it never specifically names the iPhone, it does show images of people admiring an iPhone-like device, albeit with concave sides. In one brief shot, a blonde woman holds a white mock iPhone in front of her as she crosses a street and applies lip gloss, with the word "princess" laid across the screen.

"It's not a princess, it's a robot," the commercial says of the Droid. "A phone that trades hair-do for can-do."

A rose by any other name?
    Perhaps they need Robin Williams to give it some life.
  • Reply 163 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not really- it's got everyone on here talking about it. Already on page 4.

Yeah, everybody talked about Vista, too. Doesn't mean squat.
  • Reply 164 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had to look up what you were referring to with this reply. He can?t even use the word phobic correctly. Too funny! Sometimes I wonder how we can be in the same Genus.

He's snarky, yes.

Smart? I'll leave that up to you to decide.
  • Reply 165 of 328
    Quote:

Wrong- I never liked the Rock'r either.

Chalk white phones are for those screaching for attention.

Wasn't is Madonna that made the original Rockr ad? 'Nuff said!

Haven't you ever heard: "Less is More" ?

Who said anything about that POS? You prove my point. Thank you.
  • Reply 166 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mannyy View Post

Typically american to dumb it down to some macho BS. It's about usability and not hormones.

Looks like someone is trying to usurp Teckstud as the most bigoted poster on this forum. It?s not easy to be as farcical and hostile as him but you are off to a roaring good start. Welcome to AI and keep up the good work.
  • Reply 167 of 328
    Quote:

Buy a colored case and move on. Besides the white ones get cracks- don't they?

I don't want a case, it becomes bulkier. Don't bother trying to find other ways to back up your point, its bogus.
  • Reply 168 of 328
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fro View Post

Moto is about two commercials away from the much loved Powerthrist Videos -> video link

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. It's getting hard to distinguish between parody and reality in this case.

Good first post, btw.
  • Reply 169 of 328
    bbkbbk Posts: 1member
    I wonder when Motorola's coming out with the limited 'Michael Bay' edition?
  • Reply 170 of 328
    Nuff Said!!
  • Reply 171 of 328
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Those same feminist groups that came to the aid of Sarah Palin for the vitriolic attacks by some of those in the media and the Good 'Ole Boy politicians. Feminist groups have showed their true colors. They have lost all credibility in crusading against Sexism...

I can't let this pass.

No serious feminist groups came to Sarah Palin's defence on her claims of sexism at all actually.

The way it went was:

- Sarah Palin is ridiculed for being the idiot that she is.

- Sarah Palin screams "sexism!"

- Sarah Palin's Republican operatives and a few right-wing female "personalities" join in.

- Serious Feminist groups remain silent.
  • Reply 172 of 328
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Next they will be using swift-boat tactics ... Moto is getting desperate for sure.
  • Reply 173 of 328
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... Marketing is marketing. You don?t pull punches unless it?s good for business. As it?s been pointed out, it?s using deep rooted perceptions to move a product. I think it?s a great ad from start to finish but it does make me wonder if they run out of positive talking points to be going down this road already. It?s one thing to imply it?s a "guy?s guy phone? it?s another to incinerate that if you use an iPhone you have a vagina (hyperbole for an attempt at comedy) ...

I would say instead of a "great ad from start to finish," that it's perhaps a very "well done" ad from start to finish.

I don't think it's can't really be called "great" simply because it's negative, it mentions the competition more than it does it's own product, and it purposely isolates and denigrates a large segment of the target audience for smartphones. That's just not smart.

As much as my jaw dropped a bit when I first saw it, it doesn't *really* offend me that much. There's nothing wrong with Princesses, or vagina's in my book.

I also think it kind of backfires for that reason alone. Half the people watching it will be men and many will have the intended reaction. What the creators of this ad are just not seeing, is that the other half of the audience will see it in a completely different light. This ad actually makes me want to go out and buy a white iPhone, and I think a lot of young girls will see it and have the exact same thought.

I'm pretty sure there were no women in the room when this ad was thought up or decided upon.
  • Reply 174 of 328
    Quote:

Looks like someone is trying to usurp Teckstud as the most bigoted poster on this forum. It?s not easy to be as farcical and hostile as him but you are off to a roaring good start. Welcome to AI and keep up the good work.

Unfairly speaking in general terms, yes, but take a look around (the world) and add some self criticism maybe? A trend??? But hey, sorry for going there. Maybe a too seriously taken, or???
  • Reply 175 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would say instead of a "great ad from start to finish," that it's perhaps a very "well done" ad from start to finish.

I don't think it's can't really be called "great" simply because it's negative, it mentions the competition more than it does it's own product, and it purposely isolates and denigrates a large segment of the target audience for smartphones. That's just not smart.

I concede to your point. The ad in and of itself is good, but the larger picture is that they are desperate for even going there, which is not good for the potential longterm growth of the platform.

I wonder if Verizon approved this ad since they seem to be the license holder for Droid under Lucas, not Moto or HTC. If Moto tarnishes the Droid brand for Verizon and their other Droid devices this may an expensive problem for Verizon.
  • Reply 176 of 328
    To me it only shows how desperate companies can get to try and steer people to their inferior products.

When someone tell me that I'm not masculine enough because of my phone there's something wrong.

I laugh at them and don't buy from them anymore, as simple as that.

What they have to do is change those marketing decision makers "SUITS" at Motorola

they have no common sense clue as to what people are really looking for or need to make

their day to day chores easier.

They think slapping a touch screen and make a flashy trendy ad campaign it's good enough for users to make a decision.

They missing the whole point but let them live in that ignorant world.

IT"S THE GOOD EXPERIENCE PEOPLE, THE EXPERIENCE.......

I remember about the Samsung Instinct campaign that I was part of "They called it the iPhone Killer"and

they spent MILLIONS of dollars in advertising, paying well known spokespersons to say that they use one etc..... and they fell short to deliver as expected.

When people started using it, trying to download a webpage and saw that it worked like any other Windoze smart phone they returned it or didn't bought it.

FAILURE.

Moral....

Instead of taking the shallow easy approach,

study it for real and ask yourself the question:

Would I buy it myself?

Eventually someone WILL come up with another innovative HOT product BUT

in the meantime Apple did the right homework and had a short and long term plan.

plus they have a BIG lead in the consumer market awareness that Apple=Quality and it's hip.

GO APPLE>>>>>>>>>
  • Reply 177 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

A rose by any other name?
    Perhaps they need Robin Williams to give it some life.

I couldn't agree more......
  • Reply 178 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Most of the time it's on products where aesthetics really don't factor in.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

j.
  • Reply 179 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Wow, is that ever the pot calling the kettle black.

Do you read what you write?

Why yes actually I do- all the time. You obviously don't.
  • Reply 180 of 328
    Very good commercial for the Droid. There are plenty of people out there who are going to gobble this kind of stuff up. In a sense, aesthetics and image are the same sort of thing that drove many people to buy iPhones; this is just a different audience buying for the same reason.

I don't want one of the pieces of junk, but this is good advertising.