Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 181 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Looks like someone is trying to usurp Teckstud as the most bigoted poster on this forum. It?s not easy to be as farcical and hostile as him but you are off to a roaring good start. Welcome to AI and keep up the good work.

Most bigoted poster? Really? You could have fooled me with your history and you know exactly what I'm talking about. You even had to remove the post- REMEMBER?
  • Reply 182 of 328
    Lame ad, but pushes some buttons. Why not.

Droid too will flame-out (like the Pre did) as yet another wannabe-but-couldn't-be-iPhone-killer. They're getting their 15 mins of fame for a couple of quarters.....
  • Reply 183 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Most bigoted poster? Really? You could have fooled me with your history and you know exactly what I'm talking about. You even had to remove the post- REMEMBER?

Teck, it isn't about Sol or what he might have said at some point.

This is about what happens to a thread every time you invade it with your trolling. Not only do you have next to nothing to contribute with your 5-10 word-max sentences, you revel in constantly baiting everyone to respond to them. In other words, you come here to troll. It's cute at first, but after a while it's the same thing - one liner sentences with a "laugh" emoticon designed as nothing more than bait.

Being a contrarian because you have something meaningful to say is one thing, but being a contrarian just to troll and provoke everyone here is entirely different. It's trolling. Read the forum rules and guidelines:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html

1. The right (if you are an American citizen) to free speech as guaranteed by the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not apply when posting at this message board. AppleInsider is a privately owned and operated forum. Posters are allowed a great deal of flexibility in their posts, but be respectful of other members and the guidelines.

4. Ad-hominem attacks of forum members will not be tolerated. We understand that things get heated, but it helps to maintain a modicum of respect for the membership. Attack ideas, not people. Be open-minded and try to help foster meaningful discussion. Yes, meaningful discussion is possible if everyone respects each other.

This one's particularly characteristic of your contribution:

8. Spamming will not be tolerated. Spamming can be defined as either posting excessively with no content or with commercial intent. Neither definition is acceptable here. In general, do not use the forums for personal gain or to boost your post count.
  • Reply 184 of 328
    Scud missile? Soviet Cold War era technology?
  • Reply 185 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Teck, it isn't about Sol or what he might have said at some point.

This is about what happens to a thread every time you invade it with your trolling. Not only do you have next to nothing to contribute with your 5-10 word-max sentences, you revel in constantly baiting everyone to respond to them. In other words, you come here to troll. It's cute at first, but after a while it's the same thing - one liner sentences with a "laugh" emoticon designed as nothing more than bait.

Being a contrarian because you have something meaningful to say is one thing, but being a contrarian just to troll and provoke everyone here is entirely different. It's trolling. Read the forum rules and guidelines:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html

1. The right (if you are an American citizen) to free speech as guaranteed by the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not apply when posting at this message board. AppleInsider is a privately owned and operated forum. Posters are allowed a great deal of flexibility in their posts, but be respectful of other members and the guidelines.

4. Ad-hominem attacks of forum members will not be tolerated. We understand that things get heated, but it helps to maintain a modicum of respect for the membership. Attack ideas, not people. Be open-minded and try to help foster meaningful discussion. Yes, meaningful discussion is possible if everyone respects each other.

This one's particularly characteristic of your contribution:

8. Spamming will not be tolerated. Spamming can be defined as either posting excessively with no content or with commercial intent. Neither definition is acceptable here. In general, do not use the forums for personal gain or to boost your post count.

How condencending are you? I'm attacked left and right and don't bat an eyelash. And if I can say in 5 words or less my point and don't have diarreah of the typing like you and your buddies- so be it.

AT least I don't spit out 50 points of links to fanboy garbage every other day and my posts don't read like I should have a pom-pom emoticon hooked on the end of them.

Talk about yourself please.

And finally - there is nothing in the AI guidelines that I am violating.
  • Reply 186 of 328
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Quote:

I think the ad is great. It?s attacking some trivial aspect and then creating a perception that the iPhone isn?t fast because it?s more attractive. They don?t say it isn?t fast but they imply it brilliantly.

I don't think an ad that offends a lot of its prospective customers can be described as great. Did the ad agency pull creatives from their beer accounts for this one?

If you're female and you see this ad, you'll probably think "So Motorola's telling me I'm vain, shallow and dumb if I get an iPhone". In what planet is that ever a winning pitch?
  • Reply 187 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chashulme View Post

Scud missile? Soviet Cold War era technology?

They could have gone all-American and used "Patriot Missile." It's the obvious choice. Certainly, they were going for a generic missile name, but there's a lot more than scud to choose from that are in the public consciousness. Take Sidewinder, for example. Or Trident.

Moto thought scud was no big deal - it's a famous name afer all, and I doubt very many would even notice. Just something interesting to point out . . .
  • Reply 188 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I don't think an ad that offends a lot of its prospective customers can be described as great. Did the ad agency pull creatives from their beer accounts for this one?

If you're female and you see this ad, you'll probably think "So Motorola's telling me I'm vain, shallow and dumb if I get an iPhone". In what planet is that ever a winning pitch?

I think that's OK with Motorola.

I think Motorola has just given up on the females and the gays and the straights who like great design and ease of use. They just can't compete with that--the iPhone is too good.

So they're trying to go after an (untapped?) market: straight guys and closeted guys and perhaps lesbians who like to show off how macho they are. Because those people probably aren't really into iPhones: they think they're too femmy.

Closeted guys are often the most homophobic because they are trying to distance themselves from their fellow gays. And yet they're really gay inside, so they know how to come across with great one-liner, homophobic remarks.

You probably know people like that.
  • Reply 189 of 328
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Exactly!

I think Moto's ad is effective, but in the wrong demographic. People who buy into the marketing line that personal appeal is directly tied to the aesthetics of the things they own generally aren't in the income bracket to be able to afford high-end devices requiring expensive service plans (i.e. good analytical skills generally go hand-in-hand with higher salaries -- nepotism and lineage aside).
  • Reply 190 of 328
    The genius of the iPhone design is it appeals to both men and woman.
  • Reply 191 of 328
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I think that's OK with Motorola.

I think Motorola has just given up on the females and the gays and the straights who like great design and ease of use. They just can't compete with that--the iPhone is too good.

So they're trying to go after an (untapped?) market: straight guys and closeted guys and perhaps lesbians who like to show off how macho they are. Because those people probably aren't really into iPhones: they think they're too femmy.

Closeted guys are often the most homophobic because they are trying to distance themselves from their fellow gays. And yet they're really gay inside, so they know how to come across with great one-liner, homophobic remarks.

You probably know people like that.

If they haven't given up, they might as well now. The ad is offensive.
  • Reply 192 of 328
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I agree that it wreaks of desperation, but I disagree with the overall effectiveness of the ad. The numbers should be in. Verizon and Moto should know what the average gender and age group that is buying their product. If it was being being bought by 50yo women I can assure this ad would never have been made.

It was this way from launch. The whole ad campaign has been geared toward a teen male demographic from day one.

The funny thing is that the phone is a retro design that would appeal to older males. Who probably are now less inclined to buy this phone given the ads make them look completely stupid.

"Is that the Droid? What are you 16? Get a frigging blackberry or iphone".
  • Reply 193 of 328
    Quote:

Can you seriously see any NFL player with a white iPhone?

Actually yeah I could see an NFL player with a white iPhone. Nothing wrong with white it happens to be one of my favorite colors and yes I'm 19 and I'm a dude and no I'm not gay. When I got my iPhone I wanted white but it was not offered for the 8GB model, everything is black these days so white is different and black quite frankly is boring. Different does not equal feminine
  • Reply 194 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

And do you get a signal down at your mums basement!?

pwned.
  • Reply 195 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I couldn't agree more. Truth and facts have nothing to do with it. Marketing is all about perception.

So if the perception is that this phone is geared for 16 year old boys that's probably not a great one for smart phones.

Amusingly, the droid phone I've played with the most is owned by a grrl.
  • Reply 197 of 328
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The genius of the iPhone design is it appeals to both men and woman.

The majority of Mazda Miata owners are men, yet it is still very much labelled as a chick car because it has a very sizeable female ownership.
  • Reply 198 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Actually yeah I could see an NFL player with a white iPhone. Nothing wrong with white it happens to be one of my favorite colors and yes I'm 19 and I'm a dude and no I'm not gay. When I got my iPhone I wanted white but it was not offered for the 8GB model, everything is black these days so white is different and black quite frankly is boring. Different does not equal feminine

So buy a white case for god's sake! I really don't understand all this whining for white.
  • Reply 199 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Very interesting:

http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2009/...phone-pho.html

Wow, what a rip-off.

I guess that photo is pretty iconic. Amazing image.
  • Reply 200 of 328
    Quote:

So buy a white case for god's sake! I really don't understand all this whining for white.

So buy a different phone for god's sake! I really don't understand all this whining about a phone you don't use and have no intention of buying.