Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    I really find them creepy...The very folksy, homemade, Michel Gondry-style innocence.....so adorable, you'd never think that Google is a multi-billion dollar company, already controlling so much of the web...
  • Reply 22 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can deal with a lot of the changes over Safari, even the loss of ClickToFlash, but I can't stand closing the tabs from the right side. I'll give it the rest of the day to get use to it but it's not looking good for Chrome at this point.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    I, too, noticed *minor* download speed improvement and *minor* upload/ping speed decreases.

The main thing I like about Chrome is the Inspect Element feature. Very useful in web development IMO.

The main thing I don't like is lack of extensions. If I could add an adblocker to it, only then would I consider it for serious browsing.

It's funny, I've got Gmail in Chrome with Google's Public DNS. Hi there Google!
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Useless without a functioning bookmark manager. Ugh. Not even the latest nightly build (34062) has them yet.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Slow as a turtle. Takes about 50% longer to load pages than Firefox. Deleted it after about 20 mins. NEXT.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    So far, a bit buggy - and not enough controls.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Even with the tabs on top it's still the same size as Safari, both with tabs, toobar and bookmark bars. In fact, Safari is still slightly smaller, but only by a couple pixels. Plus there is no status bar.

The additional performance is not enough to win me over yet.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    about the only use for Chrome is to surf pr0n and delete your history without it affecting your real surfing. most women only know IE and Firefox so they won't know what that Chrome thing is on the computer.

ditto for Opera
  • Reply 29 of 110
    My upload speed using chrome is 36.08...much faster than safari.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

Slow as a turtle. Takes about 50% longer to load pages than Firefox. Deleted it after about 20 mins. NEXT.

After all that hard work.

I have multiple computers and the iPhone, so safari with mobile me sync is important to me.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I can't find any browser I like these days. IE is insecure. Safari likes to start a daemon process that downloads sites in the background, even though my Internet connection has a download limit. Gee, thanks Safari.

Google apps all seem to install a software updater these days. It's almost surreptitious, it does not appear in your startup items but it's there. And was not mentioned anywhere on the Google QSB site which is what installed it for me.

Firefox is a real resource hog.

Opera? Haven't tried that in a while. Maybe will take a look.

You're more than welcome to program your own browser. Let us know when you write the perfect browser.
  • Reply 32 of 110
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Using a very low market share browser (and OS) for pr0n is a smart thing as there are less exploits widely distributed for it. Thus less malicious behavior either on the part of the web site or someone who has hacked the web site. Turn off scripts too naturally.

If you want to try out the entire Chrome OS (not just the browser) in Fusion see this link:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=104944

Although Google does require a account with them, which all information is saved.

The advantage of using entire alternate, secure and virtually unused OS in a Virtual Machine is the ability to wipe the entire OS version and revert back to the first install after use, then OS updating from there if need be. Fusion uses what they call "Snapshots" to do this.

Sometime some OS's keep thumbnail pictures in hidden caches, despite all your cleaning and erasing efforts. People have gone to jail for thumbnail caches. So surf safely and wisely.

1: Don't let anyone use your wifi, enable the more advanced features of your router and shut out anyone else except your MAC address(s). Having a insecure wifi to cause reasonable doubt does not work (unless your reasonable dumb too), it will be made to look like you kept your wifi purposely insecure. Use WPA2 only, WEP and WPA are cracked. Change the default password and use very complex and long passwords for both admin and guest access.

2: Don't let anyone use your computer. If you do, set up a guest account and then delete it and use Disk Utility Erase free space 7 pass or better. Better yet, revert back from a virgin clone, with a 7 pass in between.

"Frameware" is a dangerous new trend amongst the internet bad guys and hostile countries, it's not just about surfing safely anymore, it's about being very very secure and assuming something is there regardless and knowing your machine is clean with a wipe and revert of some sort. You might be innocent, but it will cost you a fortune and your reputation defending yourself in either case. Some hackers think inflicting this on people is funny and amusing, incidents of this type are going to rise.

Use Onyx for OS X cache, browser and system cleaning, although I don't know if it cleans browser caches outside of Safari or not. Safari in my opinion, has not been very safe surfing the more hostile sites with, neither has Firefox. It must be assumed Google's Chrome records everything, just like they record all your search results and IP address with Google search. (yea in Safari too)

Time Machine is another nightmare, a whole another computer you'll need to just to surf for pr0n without messing with that.

I won't tell you what OS and browser I use, because I don't want to start a trend.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    I don't know what the purpose of a webkit based browser on os x is since safari is the foremost webkit browser.

BUT

apple please make it happen, tabs on top, at least as an option!!
  • Reply 34 of 110
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I don't know what the purpose of a webkit based browser on os x is since safari is the foremost webkit browser.

BUT

I wouldn't mind seeing this as an option, either.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

... Where in the English language does it, i.e., "such as," imply, "that's it?"[/B] Certainly not it all the years of schooling or teaching that I can remember.

My point was that this article is what is traditionally known as a "puff piece."

The use of "such as" directly implies that the example mentioned *isn't* "all there is" as you point out, and in fact, there are many milestones of the Chrome project included in the Windows version from last year that are not included in the Mac version which isn't even coming out of beta until next year. These are not mentioned.

We are treated to many videos of what's great about Chrome and much glowing prose. A single (qualified no less), mention of a feature that is not included just doesn't cut it in terms of journalistic balance. Especially when that feature is something that has been deprecated in the project as a whole, Windows version included.

To not mention the missing features, the delays, and the generally poor reception of the Mac Chrome beta by those that have tested it, is (IMO), irresponsible and biased. Especially in light of the SIX videos promoting it above.

I'm just saying a little balance would be nice and that Google can do their own advertising for Chrome well enough that they don't need AI to do it for them.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:

BUT

Their V8 JS engine is hella faster than Nitro. Plus it will likely be more like FireFox when they finally get it out of Beta. Chrome for Windows and Linux got extensions with Safari extensions come eventually.

I do miss my tabs on top of Safari. It really was nice to have that extra real estate for browsing.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Their V8 JS engine is hella faster than Nitro.

Are you 100% on that? I have been researching this a bit but I haven't found any conclusive evidence, but maybe I have not been looking in the right places.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    Quote:

Are you 100% on that? I have been researching this a bit but I haven't found any conclusive evidence, but maybe I have not been looking in the right places.

SunSpider is the most popular test, but there are other JS tests out there.
    Note that switching Safari in SL to 32-bit mode will decrease the performance significantly and Chrome 4 Beta is still only a 32-bit app.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    Look, I'm gonna cut to the chase here:

Most of the p0rn pages I frequent don't display correctly in Chrome.

End of story.

(Bangbus seems to work okay, however.)
  • Reply 40 of 110
    it's awkward to bookmark, but if they fix that, this might just be my new default browser.

i hate it when Safari crashes and loses every tab/window i have. and reopening them often loses a few along the way.

i like the tabs on top (when it looks this good), the omnibar, and obviously the speed.